• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintR

Smokey said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU I DID IT. PRESSED DAT SUBMIT ORDER BUTTON

champagne.jpg

After a year + of agonizing wait and research....i will officially be apart of the MASTER RACE next week when these final pieces arrive.

wow

sorry for over excitement but it's hard to put into words how i feel after wanting to do this for so long lol
I felt the same jubilation when I built mine last week. After getting married and having a baby, I didn't think I'd be doing this anytime soon. However, got some great deals and dove in. So highfive.gif for you sir. Feels good man.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, Newegg has both the 650D and 600T white edition in stock, but amazon still has neither...
I buy from amazon because I have an amazon prime membership

Wag

My new PC is pretty much done:

i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard
8GB DDR3 1600 mem
Antec HCP-1200 PS
3 unlocked 6950s in tri-crossfire config
HAF-X case

All I have to do is add 3 new 200mm fans w/red LED and I'll be all done. :)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I'm ready to install my new CPU cooler. I have the Isopropyl Alchohol ready to do this.

How should I clean off the previous thermal paste? Dip a rag or washcloth in some of the alcohol and just wipe it off? How do I apply the new thermal paste to the cpu? Do I put a drop of the thermal paste in the middle and then drop the xigmatek cooler on it? How much of a drop of thermal grease should I use?

Trojita said:
So I'm ready to install my new CPU cooler. I have the Isopropyl Alchohol ready to do this.

How should I clean off the previous thermal paste? Dip a rag or washcloth in some of the alcohol and just wipe it off? How do I apply the new thermal paste to the cpu? Do I put a drop of the thermal paste in the middle and then drop the xigmatek cooler on it? How much of a drop of thermal grease should I use?
I found YouTube to be helpful with these questions last week. I used the solution with a coffee filter.

Want to have my graphics up to snuff by The Witcher 2, been doing some research on the most worth for my money. At this point I'm either going to go with a 6950 for around 250 or 2 radeon 5850's for around 300.

I know overclocking the 6950 can unlock some serious shit, but I'm not going for crazy configurations or extra cooling options. I basically want something that will work well out of the box, and even better if I eventually decide I want to take it further.

I'm definitely going to make a purchase within the next week; out of these two options (or another option I haven't considered), what do you guys think is the best course of action?

Zimbardo

Trojita said:

when i recently installed my Noctua D14, i cleaned the old thermal paste off with a microfiber cloth that i just dabbed some isopropyl alcohol on.

gently rubbed the old paste off ...dipped more alcohol on another clean part of the cloth and continued gently rubbing off the old paste until it was nice, shiny and clean.

applied new thermal paste right in the middle of the cpu ...about the size of a cooked grain of rice.

put the Noctua on there and its been awesome ever since.

So I decided to place my order for the Corsair 600t white case w/window. It looks, tons of space with case modification potential. This was the first case in fell in love with. After seeing the Silverstone ft02 and Lian Li pk62 cases, I decided this case will be more noob friendly to do my first build in. Plus, it's cheaper. :)

I ordered it from Amazon and it won't arrive for a few weeks, but I'm still waiting to purchase the remaining components. Here's some pics of the finished product, hopefully mine will look this clean.

FZ0AQ.jpg

JhWJw.jpg

8roCB.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Anyone here use a wireless backlit keyboard? If so what is it? It seems like there are few choices in wireless backlit or I'm searching wrong. At least they should have a button to activate the light if it's a power drain issue.

Edit: Wow that cable management is beautiful ; ;

Wag

Ploid 3.0 said:
Anyone here use a wireless backlit keyboard? If so what is it? It seems like there are few choices in wireless backlit or I'm searching wrong. At least they should have a button to activate the light if it's a power drain issue.

Edit: Wow that cable management is beautiful ; ;
Management is good. I just shoved all my cables through the back of the HAF-X. The main problem I'm having is that my PS's power cable isn't quite long enough to reach through the back of the case, so I have to have it right over the motherboard instead of behind it.

Ryuuga

Banned
Ready to order:

CPU

Intel Core i7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB ($289.99)

Motherboard

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe ATX LGA1155 P67 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard ($229.99)

GPU

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi 732MHZ 1280MB GDDR5 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Card ($363.58)

DDR3 Memory

(2)G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory ($84.99)

Cooler

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366 LGA1155 LGA1156 120MM ($19.99)

SSD

OCZ Vertex 2 Extended Sandforce 120GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD ($179.99)

DVD Drive

LG GH22NS50 Black 22X SATA DVD Writer OEM ($25.99)

PSU

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan ($105.55)

Case

Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case ($114.99)

---------------------

Total after HST

$1649.88

Question:

Is there anything else I should throw in while I'm at it? Maybe a few 120mm fans?

G0DLIKE

Ryuuga said:
Question:

Is there anything else I should throw in while I'm at it? Maybe a few 120mm fans?

Yeah, definitely get a few fans. The GTX 570 will run pretty hot in that Define R3 case, and there's plenty of room for fans.

scogoth

AllIsOneIsNone said:
Want to have my graphics up to snuff by The Witcher 2, been doing some research on the most worth for my money. At this point I'm either going to go with a 6950 for around 250 or 2 radeon 5850's for around 300.

I know overclocking the 6950 can unlock some serious shit, but I'm not going for crazy configurations or extra cooling options. I basically want something that will work well out of the box, and even better if I eventually decide I want to take it further.

I'm definitely going to make a purchase within the next week; out of these two options (or another option I haven't considered), what do you guys think is the best course of action?

Go 6950, less hassle without crossfire and has better features and will have longer driver support.

Trojita said:

You can use cotton pads and/or qtips with rubbing alocohol to clean it. Like said before small dab in middle and push the heatsink firmly into place while securing it.

black_vegeta said:
So I decided to place my order for the Corsair 600t white case w/window. It looks, tons of space with case modification potential. This was the first case in fell in love with. After seeing the Silverstone ft02 and Lian Li pk62 cases, I decided this case will be more noob friendly to do my first build in. Plus, it's cheaper. :)

I ordered it from Amazon and it won't arrive for a few weeks, but I'm still waiting to purchase the remaining components. Here's some pics of the finished product, hopefully mine will look this clean.

Excellent job and congrats on the new system! Did that 24-pin extension cable come with the case?

momolicious said:
is a Corsair 650W efficient enough for 2500K, GTX 570 build? Future proof for newer cards? or should i go 750W

Its good for single card setups for a long time. If you ever want dual cards you'll want a little more power. 750W is good for any mid-high end gpus and you'll want 850+ for something like 2 gtx 570/580s.

Ryuuga said:
Question:

The case comes with 2 fans so you might want to pick up another. The GTX570 is reference so it will blow all the hot exhaust out the case, don't need to worry about it. The built in fan controller supports 3 fans and thats enough to get good airflow through the fractal case.

Been doing reading and stuff for a bit now, and am looking at the following parts:

-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

-MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 1800 ATX Motherboard

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

-Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 3.5-Inch Desktop Hard Drive

-Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

-ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower

Seem reasonable and compatible? It's just at the edge of my budget (~$1k USD) but looks pretty good to me (though I'm incredibly new to all of this.)

Wazzim

Banned
Zod the Bear said:
Been doing reading and stuff for a bit now, and am looking at the following parts:

-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

-MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

-ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 1800 ATX Motherboard

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

-Western Digital WD Caviar Black 1 TB SATA 6 GB/S 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Bulk/OEM 3.5-Inch Desktop Hard Drive

-Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Seem reasonable and compatible? It's just at the edge of my budget (~$1k USD) but looks pretty good to me (though I'm incredibly new to all of this.)
You can save much on the motherboard, exchange it with a ASUS P8P67 PRO. The Spinpoint F3s are the best HDDs right now (cheap, quiet and fast) so you might get on of those in exchange for the Western Digital one. The saved money can be spent on an aftermarket cooler like the CM 212+. The rest looks good.

scy

·feist· said:
Don't pay $35 for a Hyper 212+. Its MSRP is $29.99.

I honestly have no idea where the $35 came from. Oops.

There are a few more recommendations in the OP.

Yeah, took a look at most of them (and have two of Cooler Masters from previous builds). Thinking of just waiting on the BitFenix Shinobi and picking that up since something about the design is alluring.

There has been a lot of SSD discussion over the last few pages, from recommendations, to deals posted, to owner experiences from GAF members.

The last few pages is what made me question my picking of the Crucial C300. Really though, didn't see anything in the last ~10-ish pages that really made me think "must not buy" so I'll probably stick with it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuck, my Audigy 2 ZS is giving me all sorts of problems with my new rig. Time to get a new audio card.

Any particular recommendations? I'm basically looking for a decent 5.1 gaming card with TOSLINK output.

Edit: I'm looking at the Asus Xonar DG 5.1, but I'm not sure if it is much better than the integrated audio of my Asus P8P67 motherboard.

2nd edit: Fixed with some custom drivers. Man, Creative's driver support fucking sucks.

Velion

scy said:
I honestly have no idea where the $35 came from. Oops.

Yeah, took a look at most of them (and have two of Cooler Masters from previous builds). Thinking of just waiting on the BitFenix Shinobi and picking that up since something about the design is alluring.

The last few pages is what made me question my picking of the Crucial C300. Really though, didn't see anything in the last ~10-ish pages that really made me think "must not buy" so I'll probably stick with it.
If you haven't ordered the C300 yet just go with the M4 (C400).

scogoth

Zod the Bear said:

The P67 Sabertooth is a really good board but for $30 more then then P8P67 Pro it is a luxury board. A Hyper 212+ would be of more use or upgrading to the 570 with the deal below.

In other news GTX570 for $270 at NCIX http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58683&vpn=N570GTX%2DM2D12D5%2FOC&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1097

And for out US gaffers its $297 http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=58683&vpn=N570GTX%2DM2D12D5%2FOC&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar&promoid=1097

scogoth

TheExodu5 said:
My main issue with the Sabertooth board is that the PCI-E slots are not 3 apart, making it impossible to SLI the 3 slot Asus GPUs.

Style over substance. You have to make sacrifices for looks sadly.

EDIT: Fortunately in this case the P67 Sabertooth does have the PCIe slots 3 apart.

IMACOMPUTA

black_vegeta said:

Wow, I really like that case. Looks awesome dude!

TheExodu5 said:
My main issue with the Sabertooth board is that the PCI-E slots are not 3 apart, making it impossible to SLI the 3 slot Asus GPUs.
With the PRO, it is possible to SLI them?

I got a GTX 580 by EVGA because I want to SLI down the road and thought it impossible with the ASUS card.

scogoth

Saren is Bad said:

I got a GTX 580 by EVGA because I want to SLI down the road and thought it impossible with the ASUS card.

Yes, thats what the pro is all about SLI.
No, the asus will SLI fine so long as you don't have any other PCI boards you want to use.

TheExodu5

Banned
Saren is Bad said:

They're both fine for EVGA SLI. The only thing the Sabertooth can't do is SLI the triple slot cards by Asus.

scogoth

black_vegeta said:

Just noticed something, what make is your mobo? You might want to check if the second 16x PCIe slot supports 16x speeds and not 8x. Check your motherboard manual to see how the PCIe lane switching works.

dwin45

Where's the best place online to buy an already built PC? I'm hoping to get a new computer desktop computer in a few months and don't really want to go through all the trouble of building it myself.

dwin45 said:
Where's the best place online to buy an already built PC? I'm hoping to get a new computer desktop computer in a few months and don't really want to go through all the trouble of building it myself.
Might get flamed for this, but for gaming computers I'd go with IBuyPower or Cyberpower PC. I have bought from both of them and they're quality builds albeit a little cheap of stuff like the PSU and RAM.

Of course if you dont need gaming I'd just go with Dell, Sony, etc. but I'm assuming you do since you posted in this thread.

Coldsnap

What's the best way to locate a noise in your computer? Theres this clicking/hum noise thats slightly high pitch coming from my computer. I can't exactly tell what it sounds like, sort like a fan is brushing up against a cable... but when I take my computer out from under my desk and take off the side plate I can't hear it anymore. So that makes me think It's one of those plastic loose pci connectors that is vibrating against the side pannel to make the noise... but it could be something else. Driving me crazy.

scogoth

Saren is Bad said:
Might get flamed for this, but for gaming computers I'd go with IBuyPower or Cyberpower PC. I have bought from both of them and they're quality builds albeit a little cheap of stuff like the PSU and RAM.

Of course if you dont need gaming I'd just go with Dell, Sony, etc. but I'm assuming you do since you posted in this thread.

Yeah no, buy it from NCIX and they'll assemble your parts for $50.

dwin45

Saren is Bad said:

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to use it for gaming so I'll check those out.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Building a gaming PC for my gf: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=15990185

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: low end laptop
Budget: ~$600 with monitor
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: 1600x900
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: City Building games, simulation (sim city/sims3, etc), RPG's, Skyrim, Diablo 3
Are reusing any parts?: Already have a dvd burner, sata cables, and 2x1GB sticks of the ram that is in the wish list (so I will have a total of 4gb)
When will you build?: Hope to have it finished by end of may
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

After rebates I am currently sitting at $600. Any advice on any cheaper/better performance for same $$ that I may be missing?

Edit: Also, will 550w be enough for that processor/graphics card? It is the same combo as in the OP, and the OP has a 500w, so I figure it will be fine.

Cory_t_

Any suggestions about my build. This is my first shot at it so please be kind if there's anything obviously stupid. Thanks

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black OEM

Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan

G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5 1.5V Memory Kit

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM Retail Box

MSI 870-G45 ATX AM3 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio CrossFireX Motherboard

Coolermaster Elite 310 Black W/ Blue Trim ATX Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 6X3.5INT 1X3.5EXT No PSU Window

The things that worry me are the mobo, because it's so cheap, and the case (will everything fit in it?) Also, will I need some other fans or another cooling system. Any help would be great really.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm trying not to spend a fortune. Obvious upgrades that are roughly the same price would be good but please don't suggest things that are twice the price, lol.

InertiaXr

Cory_t_ said:
Any suggestions about my build. This is my first shot at it so please be kind if there's anything obviously stupid.

Is that Caviar Green your only HDD? Get a Spinpoint F3 1TB instead, I would not feel at all comfortable running everything off a single 2TB drive including my OS.

Also, even if overclocking a 650W PSU would be fine.

Kalnos

Banned
Datwheezy said:
Edit: Also, will 550w be enough for that processor/graphics card? It is the same combo as in the OP, and the OP has a 500w, so I figure it will be fine.

Yeah, it should be fine, it's even certified 80 plus so you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom