• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seventh said:
Best Buy sells Amazon gift cards now. They're labeled as Kindle gift cards, but they can be used on anything. The store near me sells $25 and $50 cards. Use it on that.

Very few stores, in my experience, allow the use of a gift card for purchase of another gift card. Just sayin'.

Also, is the opinion really strongly against getting a small SSD for Windows 7 + maybe Office? When I build in mid-summer, I was planning on getting an Intel 40 GB SSD for my OS, maybe Office, and... that's about it, really. I don't see any reason why 40 GB couldn't at least hold Windows 7 without an issue?

Seventh

Soka said:
Very few stores, in my experience, allow the use of a gift card for purchase of another gift card. Just sayin'.

Also, is the opinion really strongly against getting a small SSD for Windows 7 + maybe Office? When I build in mid-summer, I was planning on getting an Intel 40 GB SSD for my OS, maybe Office, and... that's about it, really. I don't see any reason why 40 GB couldn't at least hold Windows 7 without an issue?

Best Buy doesn't care. Or at least, the one in my area doesn't. I will occasionally trade in some games there that have a better trade-in value than what Amazon is offering, and use the gift card I receive to buy an Amazon gift card. I've never had any problems.

As for the SSD, yes 40GB will hold Windows 7 and Office. You should have about 15-20GB or so free after the install. I would recommend saving up for a larger drive, though. You'll soon wish you had more room.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Barrel Cannon said:
At that price I'd recommend going for a 5850.

Just saw this one for $140, so yeah it is in a comparable price range, and looks like it is indeed better than the 460 768mb. Any other input from anyone on 5850 vs 460 768mb?Thanks.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Soka said:

I use a 60 GB SSD and am super happy with it. My SSD is only half full after installing every program I use regularly on it (Win 7, Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, web browsers + misc. programs). Getting a SSD bigger than 60 GB would be a total waste of money for me and for many users. For the guys who insist on 120 GB minimum SSD, what are you installing? I'm guessing Steam games?

Turning off hibernation will save you a ton of space. Other space-saving tips here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941?pg=3

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
When do you guys think 300gb+ ssd's will be affordable? It's the first thing I plan on upgrading to once I feel my computer is dated. Playing games on them would be amazing.

First I would just like to say thanyou for the great advice that has been given.

Now for a setup question, I`m about to make the leap into HTPC world. Lets say you have 2 computers to choose from one would be be left living in the "computer room" and the other will be hooked up to a 50"inch plasma. "A" computer is 2years old and can play all of today games at HIGH settings and "B" computer is brand spanking new will be able to play everything at ULTRA.

My gut tells me to use the better one as a HTPC but it will only get low to med amount of gaming time because of the wife. (can`t interrupt her tv shows) So which one should go where?

cbox

hey guys what's the best card for say, $200? I game on a 27inch monitor but scaling doesn't really matter to me. I really want to play stalker but my x1950 isn't cutting anymore.

I'm not bias towards any company though I've always had ati cards in the past. I wouldn't mind going nvidia this time round, but alas the price is what will set it apart.

thanks!

scogoth

Hero_of_the_Day_1985 said:
This thread is awesome. Anyone have any experience with nvidia 3d stuff? I intend to build a new machine here in the next few weeks and was thinking about going for it with a 3d monitor. I need a new monitor any way so it's only a couple hundred more to go to 3D and get the nvidia glasses or whatever. Price not being an issue, has anyone seen it and have any impressions?

I would highly recommend against 3D gaming right now. Both active shutter and passive glasses have ghosting and you quite literally half your frame rate in games. Movies and 3D streams are pretty good but good luck finding anything to watch right now.

That being said having a 120Hz monitor is fantastic! Games are incredibly smooth and if your comp can churn out the 120fps there is no discernible input lag. Going into the 3D world is for enthusiasts when you have money to spare and want to mess around with the latest tech. It is not an everyday thing you will use.

isoku said:
When do you guys think 300gb+ ssd's will be affordable? It's the first thing I plan on upgrading to once I feel my computer is dated. Playing games on them would be amazing.

Depends whats affordable for you but 300GB for less then $100 in 2-3 years maybe.

scogoth said:
I would highly recommend against 3D gaming right now. Both active shutter and passive glasses have ghosting and you quite literally half your frame rate in games. Movies and 3D streams are pretty good but good luck finding anything to watch right now.

That being said having a 120Hz monitor is fantastic! Games are incredibly smooth and if your comp can churn out the 120fps there is no discernible input lag. Going into the 3D world is for enthusiasts when you have money to spare and want to mess around with the latest tech. It is not an everyday thing you will use.

As somebody with a 3D gaming setup, this post is more or less right on the money. Active shutter glasses aren't the problem though, it's the fact that these LCD panels aren't quite fast enough to create 120 completely different images every second. That said, like all technology, it's improving quite quickly. If 3D is a big draw for you, wait for at least the next generation of 120Hz monitors, I personally am following http://3dvision-blog.com/ and it seems that every monitor released has less cross-talk than the last. Regardless, I saw the BenQ 120Hz pivoting monitor at NCIX the other day for $299, which is a fantastic deal. At that price I recommend anybody who takes gaming serious to buy one over a 60Hz TN panel. While they don't have as good IQ, the improved smoothness and responsiveness makes playing online fps games a much better experience.

Omiee

i bought a second hdd, its showing in device manager and in the bios menu.
but i cant see it in my computer.
i went to mycomputer and than manage.
now i can see it, its not showing in the top.
but i can see it on the bottom and it says 1800mb unallocated.
what do i do now to get it working?

edit: nvm i got it to work, by the wizard or something and formatting it.

scogoth

Omiee said:

You have to format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

STEP 1: Open Computer Management like this:

Right-click on the Computer icon.

Click Manage.

If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

STEP 2: In the pane on the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.

STEP 3: Right-click the drive that you want to format—be sure it’s the correct drive—then click Format

STEP 4: To format with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click OK, and then click OK again.

Kyaw

Omiee said:

Type in diskmgmt.msc in 'Run'.

Then find the HDD that is not showing up and format it and assign a drive letter.
I think that should do it. My knowledge on new HDDs is lacking.

Omiee

scogoth said:
You have to format the drive and assign it a drive letter.

STEP 1: Open Computer Management like this:

Right-click on the Computer icon.

Click Manage.

If you’re prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

STEP 2: In the pane on the left, under Storage, click Disk Management.

STEP 3: Right-click the drive that you want to format—be sure it’s the correct drive—then click Format

STEP 4: To format with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click OK, and then click OK again.

yeah i did this when i googled it.
works like a charm now i think.

scogoth

Kyaw said:
Type in diskmgmt.msc in 'Run'.

Then find the HDD that is not showing up and format it and assign a drive letter.
I think that should do it. My knowledge on new HDDs is lacking.

Old school man, we need to welcome you to the world of GUI!

Kyaw

scogoth said:
Old school man, we need to welcome you to the world of GUI!

GUI is long winded!

1: Windows Key + R

2: Type in diskmgmt.msc

3. Find drive, format and assign drive letter

DONE! 3 steps yo. :p
Old school is good. (its not really old school...)

scogoth

Kyaw said:
GUI is long winded!

1: Windows Key + R

2: Type in diskmgmt.msc

3. Find drive, format and assign drive letter

DONE! 3 steps yo. :p
Old school is good. (its not really old school...)

I just like saying GUI.

GUIGUIGUIGUIGUIGUIGUIGUI

scogoth

TouchMyBox said:
Are people hatin' on CLI in here? Command lines are the shit.

I only CLI in UNIX, everytime I go DOS I get pissed when I type ls and nothing happens. dir is one too many characters for me.

(._.)

Banned
Hazaro said:
A 460 or a 560/6950 is a nice upgrade.

CPU-wise the Intel 2500K is the choice right now, but Bulldozer is coming in about 6 weeks, so there might be some competition.
Dammit. Now that I think about it I want to upgrade pretty much everything in my current computer. Thanks for the help. Gonna go on Newegg next weekend and pick out some parts then post them up here and see if what I got is solid.

You guys sure the samsung f3 is better than the caviar black? isn't higher cache better? It's 32 mb for the samsung f3 7200 rpm and 64 mb for the caviar black 7200 rpm.

scogoth

Syphon Filter said:
You guys sure the samsung f3 is better than the caviar black? isn't higher cache better? It's 32 mb for the samsung f3 7200 rpm and 64 mb for the caviar black 7200 rpm.

The Samsung has higher platter density so it has higher transfer rates then a WD Black.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Since I'm getting a huge pile of cash (tax return) around christmas this year I'm looking to invest in a new PC. What I want to know is if there's anything released during 2011 that I should take into consideration before I start looking for parts?

scogoth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Have there been any new video cards released recently? Or will be this month? I want a new video card before witcher 2 comes out.

Lastest are Nvidia's 500 series and AMD's 6900 series. Both have been released in the past few months and nothing new has been announced.

kinoki said:
Since I'm getting a huge pile of cash (tax return) around christmas this year I'm looking to invest in a new PC. What I want to know is if there's anything released during 2011 that I should take into consideration before I start looking for parts?

AMDs Bulldozer CPUs is the only thing to wait for. Intel's sandy bridge CPUs are the current king of gaming but we will see if that changed when AMD gets its new CPUs out. We should see announcements of new GPUs near the end of this year.

scogoth said:
Lastest are Nvidia's 500 series and AMD's 6900 series. Both have been released in the past few months and nothing new has been announced.

AMDs Bulldozer CPUs is the only thing to wait for. Intel's sandy bridge CPUs are the current king of gaming but we will see if that changed when AMD gets its new CPUs out. We should see announcements of new GPUs near the end of this year.

Ok, I heard of both of those just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else on the horizon. So what's the best to get for $300 right now?

scogoth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ok, I heard of both of those just wanted to make sure there wasn't something else on the horizon. So what's the best to get for $300 right now?

6950 2Gb and if you are adventurous you can flash it to 6970 speeds. For a little more then 300 you can look at a GTX570 or a real 6970.

scogoth said:
6950 2Gb and if you are adventurous you can flash it to 6970 speeds. For a little more then 300 you can look at a GTX570 or a real 6970.

They're definitely still flashable? I know people were worried that they wouldn't be after a while. Would 6970 be better than a GTX570 since it has 2GB?

Seregil

So I currently have a 1GB GTX 460 and just upgraded my motherboard and CPU with an i5 2500. I was planning on eventually getting another GTX 460 to SLI them. However, as I was installing my new motherboard, I realized all the SATA ports are located behind the PCI-E ports and its already a pain in the ass to get things plugged in with one video card in there.

Here is link to MB I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582 Does anyone have any experience with SLI with this MB? Did they have problems with getting cables plugged in? Am I better off eventually getting 1 super powerful video card rather than going SLI with the 460s as far as best bang for my dollars? I'd also have to get a new power supply that supports SLI.

scogoth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
They're definitely still flashable? I know people were worried that they wouldn't be after a while. Would 6970 be better than a GTX570 since it has 2GB?

Yes still flashable if its a reference PCB and not a custom PCB.

The 570 and 6970 are really close in terms of performance. Some games the 570 is a little faster others the 6970 is faster. The 2GB really only matters at really high resolutions or multi monitor gaming and at 1920x1200 or less it doesn't make a difference.

Seregil said:
So I currently have a 1GB GTX 460 and just upgraded my motherboard and CPU with an i5 2500. I was planning on eventually getting another GTX 460 to SLI them. However, as I was installing my new motherboard, I realized all the SATA ports are located behind the PCI-E ports and its already a pain in the ass to get things plugged in with one video card in there.

Here is link to MB I have. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582 Does anyone have any experience with SLI with this MB? Did they have problems with getting cables plugged in? Am I better off eventually getting 1 super powerful video card rather than going SLI with the 460s as far as best bang for my dollars? I'd also have to get a new power supply that supports SLI.

The 460 isn't a very long card you shouldn't have problems with it. Its 8.25in so measure your board to see if it fits.

As for SLI it works better for some games then others. Two 460s generally out perform a single 480 and just about the same as a 580. The SLI will be a better bang for your buck but there are sometimes issue with SLI and crossfire.

scogoth said:
Yes still flashable if its a reference PCB and not a custom PCB.

The 570 and 6970 are really close in terms of performance. Some games the 570 is a little faster others the 6970 is faster. The 2GB really only matters at really high resolutions or multi monitor gaming and at 1920x1200 or less it doesn't make a difference.

Ok, I'm just at 1920x1200 so I guess I'll get the GTX570 since it's cheaper. Seems to have a decent advantage in a good amount of games except BFBC2 and a couple others, then it's like the complete opposite. Gotta see if I can find any deals now.

Edit: MSI makes good videocards I'm assuming? I've used their motherboards and such and always seemed good but never a video card. This one seems the cheapest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127568&cm_re=GTX570-_-14-127-568-_-Product

scogoth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ok, I'm just at 1920x1200 so I guess I'll get the GTX570 since it's cheaper. Seems to have a decent advantage in a good amount of games except BFBC2 and a couple others, then it's like the complete opposite. Gotta see if I can find any deals now.

Edit: MSI makes good videocards I'm assuming? I've used their motherboards and such and always seemed good but never a video card. This one seems the cheapest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127568&cm_re=GTX570-_-14-127-568-_-Product

Yeah $304 is a great price. Its a reference board and cooler so it may not be as quiet as a custom cooling solution. But at least the heat is dumped outside the case and not blowing hot air everywhere.

EDIT: you might want to check out EVGA's high flow bracket. It can reduces temps by about 5 degrees for reference cards.

scogoth said:
Yeah $304 is a great price. Its a reference board and cooler so it may not be as quiet as a custom cooling solution. But at least the heat is dumped outside the case and not blowing hot air everywhere.

EDIT: you might want to check out EVGA's high flow bracket. It can reduces temps by about 5 degrees for reference cards.

Haha, can't be any worse than my SLI'd 8800GTs in my case. Thanks for the link though, I'll see what temps I'm getting when I put it in and then consider whether or not to get the different bracket. I guess I'll order today since Witcher is coming out in two weeks.

I'm currently running a 4850 512mb card, but I'm thinking of upgrading a little bit for the Witcher 2, wanna get them shinies. Any suggestions as to what's a good jump?

scogoth

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Haha, can't be any worse than my SLI'd 8800GTs in my case. Thanks for the link though, I'll see what temps I'm getting when I put it in and then consider whether or not to get the different bracket. I guess I'll order today since Witcher is coming out in two weeks.

Well it seems most people are concerned with noise in this thread. I have SLI'd 470s and 5 1800RPM Scythe fans so noise is something I have to tolerate. If the noise doesn't bother you then should be no problem! Noise cancelling headphones are a godsend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom