• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
InfectedZero said:
Another question, I just want to confirm that everything from the $600 build is compatible with the case I am going with which is the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance ATX Mid-Tower Case.
Reposting for new page.

Coldsnap

resist urge to buy that Dell monitor. I've had my Dell 2007FPW for a few years now, I want a higher resultion and this has served me well enough to where i love Dell monitors.

Okay PCGAF, I need your help. As usual, every time when I build a PC, something goes wrong.

This time, I can't seem to load the BIOS with my motherboard which is a p8p67.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705&cm_re=p8p67-_-13-131-705-_-Product

It worked fine at first. First boot up, checked the BIOS, everything was good. I installed Windows 7, checked the BIOS again for temps, worked fine.

After installing all the drivers needed from Windows Update and ASUS's DVD-ROM, I can't access the BIOS anymore. At POST, whenever I hold Del, either it freezes with a black screen and pointer or it'll just restart automatically.

I went ahead and reseated the RAM, cleared the CMOS, disconnected the HDD, updated the BIOS, uninstalled all the drivers including ASUS Suite software... I'm out of ideas here. The only thing I can think of now is RMA'ing.

element

Syphon Filter said:
Is 1920x1080 that much better than 1600x900? Does it look clearer or something?
doesn't make it clearer, just provides more desktop real estate/area. the added 3" and extra resolution is really nice. also you probably want to stick with 1980x1080 or 1280x720 type resolutions. But really for $30 more, it is well worth it.

Do you sit in front of your pc like a typical person or further away?
same as when i had 19" CRTs or 20" LCD.

resist urge to buy that Dell monitor. I've had my Dell 2007FPW for a few years now, I want a higher resultion and this has served me well enough to where i love Dell monitors.
that is the monitor i upgraded from to my Dell 24". It was an awesome upgrade. At first you are shocked how large it is, but you adjust quickly.

Brofist

Syphon Filter said:
Do you sit in front of your pc like a typical person or further away?

I've moved back a bit with the new TV, 24" I sat at a typical distance.

Either way you'd get used to 24" quickly.

element

that would be good. i know myself and others would agree that the additional $30 would well be worth it to go with the 24".

Here are some other options.
Dell 23" 1080p for $139 http://dealnews.com/Dell-23-ST2310-1080-p-Widescreen-LCD-Display-for-140-free-shipping/456854.html
Acer 21.5" 1080p for $109 http://dealnews.com/Acer-22-Widescreen-LCD-Display-for-110-9-s-h/454012.html
Acer 22" 1080p LED Backlit for $130 http://dealnews.com/Acer-22-60-Hz-LED-Backlit-LCD-Display-for-130-6-s-h/453380.html
Acer 23" 1080p LED Backlit for $149 http://www.newegg.com/product/produ...m2157X567668X3372ffec7e2658009d9346c4058aaf39

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
(._.) said:
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my current PC.
R5A4J.png

5AeXw.png

This is what I am currently have in it. I forgot the program you can run that will give a brand name for some of the parts without them in the above pics. I built my computer around two years ago and have been able to max everything. I want to put some stronger parts in to improve performance and ensure I can max games for the next two years. One game I really want to max is The Witcher 2 when it comes out.

Am I doing it right? Not really a parts guy so I don't know whats the very best to buy atm. Should I upgrade my GPU, RAM, and CPU?
A 460 or a 560/6950 is a nice upgrade.

CPU-wise the Intel 2500K is the choice right now, but Bulldozer is coming in about 6 weeks, so there might be some competition.
InfectedZero said:
Another question, I just want to confirm that everything from the $600 build is compatible with the case I am going with which is the Cooler Master CM 690 II Advance ATX Mid-Tower Case.
Yup.
I'd sub in an AM3/AM3+ board and an x4 840 if possible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128490

Drop the cooler if you have a strict budget.

Coldsnap

So I'm sending my GTX 460 back and getting a new card and might sneak in an upgrade. I'm going to go with the MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II. Choosing that one because I hear its the quietest 560 since it runs so cool you can put fans on 40%. That right? Wish I can find a place that has it on sale :O

Current specs

• Athlon X2 5000+ (2.6GHz)
  • AsRock N68PV-GS
  • 2GB Kingston DDR2-800
  • Palit 9600GT Sonic DDR3 256MB
  • some old Saxon casing with temp monitor

Planning to upgrade everything that's not GPU. I'll just get a 460 when BF3 gets released.

• Intel i3-2100 (3.1GHz)
  • AsRock H61M-VS B3
  • G.Skill RipJawsX 4gb(Dual) ddr3-1333 (F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM)
  • Cooler Master Centurion 5 Series 2 (no psu)
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212

1. Is the 212 gonna fit in the case?
2. Am I really doing myself justice by going with an i3 instead of a Phenom II 840? I mean the latter is quad core, and more games are getting optimized for quads.
3. Will a 650VA UPS still be enough? The only other thing plugged to it is my 20" LCD (HP 2009f).

Anyone have any suggestions on case fans?

I have a HAF X case right now unopened, but I really want a 650D; however, the airflow looks like shit.

scogoth

Saren is Bad said:
Anyone have any suggestions on case fans?

I have a HAF X case right now unopened, but I really want a 650D; however, the airflow looks like shit.

Its has two 200mm fans and a 120mm fan, what more do you want?

Sythe is my personal favourite for fans.

Oreoleo

Wolf Akela said:
Some people told me about i3 still outperforming the 840 because of HT though. Can't really afford to go i5.

Ehhh I dunno man I think he's right. BC2 loves the quad cores. If you're building for BF3 and can't afford the i5 I would at least consider an AMD quad core.

element

Unknown Soldier said:
BF3 isn't even coming out anytime soon, if you're building for BF3 you might as well wait and see what happens to prices when Bulldozer debuts.
I'd suggest the same thing. If you are upgrading for BF3, then hold off.

TheExodu5

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
BF3 isn't even coming out anytime soon, if you're building for BF3 you might as well wait and see what happens to prices when Bulldozer debuts.

Agreed. If all you can afford is an i3, wait and see what happens.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn.... I was working all day on this computer (I was very OCD about the cleaning the thermal grease off), and when I finally finished everything it didn't post. I hope at the least it's just a plug that wasn't plugged in on the motherboard or something. If I either electrostatic killed something, fucked up my CPU through wiping it too much. didn't place the CPU in all the way somehow...... ugh I don't even want to think about it.

Shambles

TheExodu5 said:
If you're building for BF3, I'd go quad. BFBC2 really needs a quad to shine.

Although just by a hair, the i3 2100 outperforms even the X6 1075T on BC2. Bulldozer really can't come out soon enough for AMD.

This thread is awesome. Anyone have any experience with nvidia 3d stuff? I intend to build a new machine here in the next few weeks and was thinking about going for it with a 3d monitor. I need a new monitor any way so it's only a couple hundred more to go to 3D and get the nvidia glasses or whatever. Price not being an issue, has anyone seen it and have any impressions?

Hi everyone I've been lurking the thread and a host of other sites for a while and I have decided to finally grab most of the parts I need for the new PC I plan to build. So thank you for your contributions :).

I have a few questions. I bought a XFX Radeon 5770 1GB and a Phenom II X4 965. I also was gifted a thermaltake 775 power supply and I want to know if the "FanDelayCool technology" mentioned on the back of the box is a bunch of bull and whether thermaltake is a reputable brand(should I sell it and buy a different brand one).

The other question I have is on the bottom of the XFX's box it mentions a requirement of 450 Watt or greater required or 600 watt for crossfire. Does this take into account all the other parts of the computer?

Another questions is will I get significant gains for using another ati card in crossfire and does using the same type of card provide better results as opposed to using different ones.

Nafai1123

Banned
Barrel Cannon said:
Hi everyone I've been lurking the thread and a host of other sites for a while and I have decided to finally grab most of the parts I need for the new PC I plan to build. So thank you for your contributions :).

I have a few questions. I bought a XFX Radeon 5770 1GB and a Phenom II X4 965. I also was gifted a thermaltake 775 power supply and I want to know if the "FanDelayCool technology" mentioned on the back of the box is a bunch of bull and whether thermaltake is a reputable brand(should I sell it and buy a different brand one).

The other question I have is on the bottom of the XFX's box it mentions a requirement of 450 Watt or greater required or 600 watt for crossfire. Does this take into account all the other parts of the computer?

Another questions is will I get significant gains for using another ati card in crossfire and does using the same type of card provide better results as opposed to using different ones.

Pretty sure the power consumption numbers are for the entire computer. Here's a good analysis of multi-gpu setups, including power consumption.

Cipherr

Syphon Filter said:
24" is too big.

Absurd. My new monitor Im on now is 24", but it was only because I couldnt spring the extra money for a 27-30 with an acceptable 2ms response time for gaming.

And here, 5 months later Im regretting it and trying to find something in the 30" range.

AkIRA_22

Just found out about this case. Looks like a decent enclosure, 3x200mm fans and 1x140mm. Has the looks of the very expensive Level 10 but not the cost. LOTS of front panel connectivity. Can do water cooling. The looks are definitely a draw card but I like it, it has style. With the amount of big fans reviews have found it has decent cooling performance too.

ttlvl10gt_b1.jpg

Don't worry you can turn off the fan lights.

Hylian7

I'm pretty damn sure one of my 500GB HDD's is on the verge of death. It's making noises, programs running from it keep freezing up, and Windows is straight up giving me warning messages about it. It's still in warranty until May of 2012 luckily for me. What I'm wanting to do though, is get a small SSD to reinstall Windows 7 on. The way my setup is right now, I have the 2 500GB HDD's, the OS plus my files are on one, and the other is my Steam drive, which is completely full of nothing but Steam games. I even had to have a few on the C drive that I symlinked to.

So PC-GAF, having never bought an SSD before, I plan to get this one and install Win7 on it as well as have one, possibly two Steam games on it at a time (by moving the folder and symlinking of course, Steam itself will be installed on one of the big HDD's). Obviously I won't be able to fit those 20-30GB monsters of games on it with an OS on there as well, but I can easily fit smaller stuff on it that's only a few GB in size.

Here is the SSD I'm considering: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kingsto...&skuId=9852315&st=solid state drive&cp=1&lp=4

I know how crappy Best Buy generally is, but I have a $50 gift card there I never used, so I might as well use it. I found the same drive on Newegg for $5 more expensive, so it's not really too much of a difference. What do you think of it?

AkIRA_22

Cipherr said:
Absurd. My new monitor Im on now is 24", but it was only because I couldnt spring the extra money for a 27-30 with an acceptable 2ms response time for gaming.

And here, 5 months later Im regretting it and trying to find something in the 30" range.

I got a 30" Dell a month ago and it's the best. I haven't looked back. 24 IS NOT ENOUGH!

Hylian7 said:
I'm pretty damn sure one of my 500GB HDD's is on the verge of death. It's making noises, programs running from it keep freezing up, and Windows is straight up giving me warning messages about it. It's still in warranty until May of 2012 luckily for me. What I'm wanting to do though, is get a small SSD to reinstall Windows 7 on. The way my setup is right now, I have the 2 500GB HDD's, the OS plus my files are on one, and the other is my Steam drive, which is completely full of nothing but Steam games. I even had to have a few on the C drive that I symlinked to.

So PC-GAF, having never bought an SSD before, I plan to get this one and install Win7 on it as well as have one, possibly two Steam games on it at a time (by moving the folder and symlinking of course, Steam itself will be installed on one of the big HDD's). Obviously I won't be able to fit those 20-30GB monsters of games on it with an OS on there as well, but I can easily fit smaller stuff on it that's only a few GB in size.

Here is the SSD I'm considering: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kingsto...&skuId=9852315&st=solid state drive&cp=1&lp=4

I know how crappy Best Buy generally is, but I have a $50 gift card there I never used, so I might as well use it. I found the same drive on Newegg for $5 more expensive, so it's not really too much of a difference. What do you think of it?

30GB is barely enough to install Windows 7 and Microsoft Office or Photoshop. 30GB is TINY. Miniscule. Insignificant. And really, really small.

These days I say the minimum size SSD you should be buying is 120GB. If you can't afford a 120GB SSD, then don't buy one. For $70 you can get a 1TB hard drive at Newegg. 1TB vs. 30GB, you do the math. You'll hate yourself for buying a 30GB SSD, that's almost enough to install Windows and Adobe Creative Suite before it's full.

Hylian7

Unknown Soldier said:
30GB is barely enough to install Windows 7 and Microsoft Office or Photoshop. 30GB is TINY. Miniscule. Insignificant. And really, really small.

These days I say the minimum size SSD you should be buying is 120GB. If you can't afford a 120GB SSD, then don't buy one. For $70 you can get a 1TB hard drive at Newegg. 1TB vs. 30GB, you do the math. You'll hate yourself for buying a 30GB SSD, that's almost enough to install Windows and Adobe Creative Suite before it's full.
What if I plan on installing my programs on one of my other drives (as in I have 2 500GB drives, only one of which will be full)?

mike23

Hylian7 said:
What if I plan on installing my programs on one of my other drives (as in I have 2 500GB drives, only one of which will be full)?

I would save up for another few weeks and go with a 120GB. Most of my use of an SSD is with the other programs that are on it besides the OS. I only turn off my computer once a month maybe. It's nice that it boots up really quick, but it's a lot better that Visual Studio opens in 3 seconds every time I open it.

Hylian7

mike23 said:
I would save up for another few weeks and go with a 120GB. Most of my use of an SSD is with the other programs that are on it besides the OS. I only turn off my computer once a month maybe. It's nice that it boots up really quick, but it's a lot better that Visual Studio opens in 3 seconds every time I open it.
You've got a point. I'll see if Best Buy has anything decently priced (I want to use this damn gift card, dammit).

Wazzim

Banned
So from what I understand you have to reformat your HDD after cloning the system partion to the SSD right? Would an external HDD be the best solution if you want to keep all your data (holiday pictures, videos, programs etc.)?

Meeru

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

Or get two 60 gb and raid them

Seventh

Hylian7 said:
You've got a point. I'll see if Best Buy has anything decently priced (I want to use this damn gift card, dammit).

Best Buy sells Amazon gift cards now. They're labeled as Kindle gift cards, but they can be used on anything. The store near me sells $25 and $50 cards. Use it on that.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
·feist· said:
That's really unfortunate. Had a whole build together for you with their discounts, most of which are in-store only.

A quick look reveals nearly no PSU deals that fit your budget. This XFX 650W (more power than you need) may be worth a look. After rebate price is $9 more than your current choice's rebate price, but it's a better model.

Did you already have a 2x1GB kit, and where just looking to add a second set of 2x1GB? If not, you can find various 2x2GB kits for just a bit more than a single 2x1GB.

This AMD 870 Biostar board has USB 3.0 along with SATA 3 and costs the same as your MSI.

If you don't mind open box items, take a look at these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-130-275R-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-138-303R-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=am3_usb_3.0_sata_6-_-13-131-647R-_-Product

There are also better gaming case choices in that price range.

Ultimately, Bulldozer and the higher-end Fusion desktop CPUs will be released soon, so you may want to wait. Even if you don't find one of the newer chips that falls within your budget, you should be able to pick up a low priced Athlon, and at least a low-priced 800 or 900-series board.

Thanks, Ill check out those items!

Would you guys recommend the GTX 460 768mb model or the HD5770, performance-wise?

460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390
5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102898

I'll be slightly overclocking whichever one i get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom