• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Snapshot King said:
I'm currently running a 4850 512mb card, but I'm thinking of upgrading a little bit for the Witcher 2, wanna get them shinies. Any suggestions as to what's a good jump?

Everything would be good jump. Whats your budget and current CPU?

scogoth said:
Everything would be good jump. Whats your budget and current CPU?

CPUs an AMD64X2 7850 BE ( I always forget the correct way to type the stupid thing). Budget was, well, I was going to decide the budget based on the answers I got, but I doubt anything more than 200ish bucks. That and I'm not exactly keen on a CPU upgrade until those newfangled CPUs come out.

scogoth said:
Well it seems most people are concerned with noise in this thread. I have SLI'd 470s and 5 1800RPM Scythe fans so noise is something I have to tolerate. If the noise doesn't bother you then should be no problem! Noise cancelling headphones are a godsend

Ah, ok. Ya, quieter definitely isn't a bad thing but my 8800GTs when they ramp up are pretty loud now so having only one card can't be any worse. It's just something I've come to accept.

Grinchy

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
24" is too big.
That's blasphemy.

I have been rocking a 26'' monitor for a couple years now. Yes, I sit in front of it like normal people do with their PCs.

I now find everything else small, and would love to upgrade to a 30'' some day.

Grinchy said:
That's blasphemy.

I have been rocking a 26'' monitor for a couple years now. Yes, I sit in front of it like normal people do with their PCs.

I'm at 24" and at first it was like huge but now its meh, need more :D

scogoth

Snapshot King said:
CPUs an AMD64X2 7850 BE ( I always forget the correct way to type the stupid thing). Budget was, well, I was going to decide the budget based on the answers I got, but I doubt anything more than 200ish bucks. That and I'm not exactly keen on a CPU upgrade until those newfangled CPUs come out.

You'll want to look at the 6850 an 6870. The 6870 is a little over 200 but if you can find one on sale its a good card.

Grinchy said:
That's blasphemy.

Its not the size that counts its how you..... ok this sentence isn't going to work. Its all about the resolution. If there was a 2560x1600 19in screen I'd buy that. I never understood people using an HDTV for a monitor, you're not seeing any more information then you would with a 23in monitor.

Tmac

What you guys think of this config for games?

Phenom Ii X4 955 Black Edition
2 x 2gb ddr3
Asus M4n68t-m Le V2
Radeon HD 6850 1gb

----

I dont want to spend a lot but want a decent config that allows me play current games and upcomming games for a while without worring with performance issues.

Finished installing a 2nd gtx 480 for sli, it was like plug and play. :lol

1304283584-clip-304kb.jpg

My 30'' dell should arrive on tuesday. :D

Wazzim

Banned
scogoth said:
Well it seems most people are concerned with noise in this thread. I have SLI'd 470s and 5 1800RPM Scythe fans so noise is something I have to tolerate. If the noise doesn't bother you then should be no problem! Noise cancelling headphones are a godsend
Holy shit 5 Scythe fans? Must sound like a vacuum cleaner lol.

scogoth

Snapshot King said:
Thanks! Any suggestions on CPU, or should I just wait until all these new ones come out? I did find this one which SEEMS to be a good deal, but I've been out of the upgrade game for so long it's hard for me to tell.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

I'd wait on the CPU upgrade. See what Bulldozer brings, if anything it will lower the older AMD CPUs.

Wazzim said:
Holy shit 5 Scythe fans? Must sound like a vacuum cleaner lol.

Yeah if they are all on it can. I have a fan controller and usually only run then at 900-100RPM

I turn them on full blast for the times I try to go crazy on overclocking.

Chris R

Any changes coming up in the next month+ that would alter the $600 build? Friend wants something put together so I'm just looking now trying to find what exactly he needs...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
L0st Id3ntity said:
Finished installing a 2nd gtx 480 for sli, it was like plug and play. :lol

1304283584-clip-304kb.jpg

My 30'' dell should arrive on tuesday. :D

hmm I wonder, is there any benefit in having the noctua like that instead of 90 degrees rotated?

Kyaw

Corky said:
hmm I wonder, is there any benefit in having the noctua like that instead of 90 degrees rotated?

Nope. There shouldnt be. The RAM is probably blocking the heatsink, thats why he has to mount it like that. (It doesnt look like it is though) If you have a good top fan you might get slightly cooler temps as heat rises.

Corky

Kyaw said:
Nope. There shouldnt be. The RAM is probably blocking the heatsink, thats why he has to mount it like that. (It doesnt look like it is though) If you have a good top fan you might get slightly cooler temps as heat rises.

Ah I see, cheers.

Marco1

I bought a 120GB OCZ vertex3 SSD for my windows 7 installation.
What sata port should I plug it into on my asus maximusIV. ?
There are 8 sata ports, 2 are intel controller and 2 are marvell.

knitoe

Kyaw said:
CPU temp will be higher. Heat release from the video cards will be suck right in. Better to go front to back.

Corky

Marco1 said:

I think the blue ones are sata 6gb/s

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Anybody looking for a nearly silent, non OC computer, should look into a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 + Fractal Design R3 build.

I've been tinkering with mine for a couple of days and it's so god damned stealthy it's hard to believe, particularly with the case fans on low revs.

Amazing, amazing combination.

knitoe

Marco1 said:
Look at the manual and use the Intel 6GB/s port (red). Don't use the shitty Marvell ports (also red).

Marco1 said:
You should use the 2nd set of red ports from the top, or 2nd from right if you're looking at the board sideways. Those are Intel.

FAQ2.jpg

Sabertooth P67 and Maximus IV Extreme:
Black – SATA 3Gb/s on Cougar Point Controller (SATA3G_3 – SATA3G_6)
Beige – SATA 6Gb/s on Cougar Point Controller (SATA6G_1 / SATA6G_2)
Grey – SATA 6Gb/s on Marvell Controller (SATA3G_3 – SATA3G_6)
Red – SATA 6Gb/s on Cougar Point (Left 2 - (SATA6G_1 / SATA6G_2) and Marvell Controller (Right 2)
Enable your Marvell SATA 6Gb/s Storage controller: (On select models)
The Marvell Storage controller is enabled by default. To verify:

http://service.asus.com/notice/FAQ.aspx

The Marvell ports are SATA6G_E1 and SATA6G_E2, or extended.

apana

How future proof is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M? It's a DirectX 11 Shader 5.0 card so whenever next gen rolls around I should probably be able to play games on medium or low setting at 25-30 fps right?

Raw64life

Finally built my comp yesterday and posting from it now. Went with this this build and I couldn't be happier. First time experiencing an SSD and it's like magic. Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread for their advice. Coincidentally the only problem I had that I wasn't eventually able to figure out myself was getting my storage drive to be recognized but someone else on the last page had the same problem and their question was answered.

apana said:
How future proof is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M? It's a DirectX 11 Shader 5.0 card so whenever next gen rolls around I should probably be able to play games on medium or low setting at 25-30 fps right?

Low-end laptop GPUs are not known for decent performance no matter what the feature checkboxes are checked.

Kyaw

knitoe said:
CPU temp will be higher. Heat release from the video cards will be suck right in. Better to go front to back.

Or that.

Oh man, i want watercooling so much. Someone send me £400 please. :3

Pachinko

Hey guys, currently my pc is functioning quite nicely with a samsung 226cw synchmaster but I've noticed now that I have 5870X2 crossfire that I have preformance room.

Basically I've finally been considering going with a 1920X1080 monitor but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to go for. I'd say price is no object but that's an utter lie. I'd prefer to spend less then 300 $.

I see there are a few monitors out there now with IPS based panels which apparently offer better color at the expense of a lower refresh, what do you guys think? My only requirement is I'd rather not buy a benq, last time I bought one it died in 2 years.

apana

Unknown Soldier said:
Low-end laptop GPUs are not known for decent performance no matter what the feature checkboxes are checked.

Well notebookcheck says it's a fast middle class graphics card. It can run crysis at 50 fps on medium and crysis 2 at 35 fps I think. I don't know, Xbox 360 and PS3 can't run the original Crysis right?

Coldsnap said:
Will have a MSI 560GTX Twin Frozr II coming tuesday, gonna send out my gtx 460 then.

Just so you know, you can OC it a fair amount without affecting fan noise at all. You can probably reach the performance of a stock 570 with a moderate OC and dramatically increase your bang for buck! Have a fun! :3

momolicious said:
HAF 922 vs Lian Li Lancool PC-K62

which is a better case overall?
I just built my machine using the HAF922. I really, really like the case. There are cases that look better but the haf has really nice airflow. It's all perforated with room for plenty of fans. You can even gut the fans if you want!

My i7 2600k idles at 30C with the coolermaster 212

My evga gtx 580 superclocked runs at 27c idle.

Pretty decent I guess.

Tmac

Tmac said:
What you guys think of this config for games?

Phenom Ii X4 955 Black Edition
2 x 2gb ddr3
Asus M4n68t-m Le V2
Radeon HD 6850 1gb

----

I dont want to spend a lot but want a decent config that allows me play current games and upcomming games for a while without worring with performance issues.

BUMP!

Is it a good config? Whats your guys toughts? Any suggestions?

scogoth

Pachinko said:
Hey guys, currently my pc is functioning quite nicely with a samsung 226cw synchmaster but I've noticed now that I have 5870X2 crossfire that I have preformance room.

Basically I've finally been considering going with a 1920X1080 monitor but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to go for. I'd say price is no object but that's an utter lie. I'd prefer to spend less then 300 $.

I see there are a few monitors out there now with IPS based panels which apparently offer better color at the expense of a lower refresh, what do you guys think? My only requirement is I'd rather not buy a benq, last time I bought one it died in 2 years.

With two 5870s 1080p would be a waste. Either buy a 1080p 120hz monitor or a higher res monitor. 30in displays are 2560x1600 and with most likely be IPS which two 5870s would be perfect for.

momolicious said:

PC-K62

tafer

Well, the build is finished and everything seems to be running quite well (had 1 nasty crash running SC2, but I guess that sort of shit happens).

I wanted to thank everyone for all the patience and help during the process.

tafer said:
ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz - $315
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Intel 320 Series 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - $240
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050

LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136183

Windows 7 Pro - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116758

ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB GDDR5 - $350
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler - $90 (Out of stock, will get from Amazon)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow ATX Mid Tower Silent PC Computer Case - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352003

In any case, since I can't buy from newegg, I had to do some small changes... for example, the Fractal R3 was not available so I went with a Corsair 600T. (Beautiful case, but bigger than expected and noisy, I think I'll change its front and upper fans for something better as soon as I can)

And it's time to drop some random questions:
- If I recall correctly (I tried to search for it, with no luck), there was some sort of issue with the Asus P8P67 motherboards that were easy to fix with some changes in the BIOS, you guys know what was it?
- Good software to monitor/control the cpu/gpu temperature? (I avoided the included stuff on the motherboard discs, or should I go with that one?)
- Best software for blu-ray playing?

Naturally all help is welcome!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Software is in the OP.
Turn off OPROM for Jmicron and Marvell to speed up boot time. (If you aren't using those SATA ports).

Pachinko

I don't need a 30 inch monitor , also I'm pretty sure I can't get one for 300 dollars or less. I'm moreso asking, what's the best 200-300 $ (Canadian) 1920X1080 display that I can get right now ? I'd like it to be at least 23 inches but that shouldn't be an issue, this one is 22 and the overall pixel density is fine, so slightly bigger would be a smooth resolution increase.

So far all I'm getting is to make sure it's a 120hz display , doesn't that mean it's just gotta have 8ms response time or do they measure refresh and response differently ?

tafer

Hazaro said:
Software is in the OP.
Turn off OPROM for Jmicron and Marvell to speed up boot time. (If you aren't using those SATA ports).

Thanks for that... ugh, this is weird, BIOS reads 40C but software reads 30C. (CPU)

Edit: FUUUU... new page.

Brofist

momolicious said:

I have a PC-K62. Nice case, quality build. A little on the heavy side though, and looks a little cramped if you ever go for water cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom