• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
claviertekky said:
Definitely. It'll be comparable. To this day, I can still do daily tasks using a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 6000D laptop with an upgraded Pentium M single core processor clocked 2.13 GHz. People with the new AMD fusion netbooks can do daily tasks as well.

Heck my desktop is powered by a E2180 (dual core 2.0 GHz processor).

If you're up for playing games on a laptop, that's a big no no in my book.

In the end, it's up to you if you think the $100 is worth for that small MHz bump.

As for your SSD, it appears the X220(i) uses SATA III, so you're in the clear to appreciate the speeds of the OCZ Vertex III or the Corsair C300. The Intel is there for proven reliability.

As for SandForce, there have been a lot of nasty things about the old controllers (OCZ Vertex II) in terms of reliability. A lot of bricking reports, so I would stay a ten feet pole away from it. The new SandForce drives like the OCZ Vertex III have yet to have problems.

Great, thanks for the info. And yea, since I won't be doing anything remotely straining I think I'll conserve the cash and put it towards something else. Maybe the SSD, still have to decide on that. Hmmm...

clav

DBebm5 said:
My 8800 GT recently blew up on my 3-year-old rig. Foolish me, I assumed that a GT 240 would be a cheaper, more powerful alternative. Cheaper, yes; more powerful, no ( at least according to the benchmarks). Problem is, it looks like anything better requires a better PSU than my feeble 375-W unit. Any alternative recommendations? Not ready to build a whole new desktop (my next indulgence will probably be a laptop.).
AMD HD5670

Something like this that doesn't require power connectors:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034JLTNG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Otherwise, yeah, you'll need a new power supply if you want to put in something better.

LowParry

Is CyberPower PC a reliable site? Looking into getting a new Labtop for school and a gaming sort of rig when I go to LAN parties.

CcrooK said:
Is CyberPower PC a reliable site? Looking into getting a new Labtop for school and a gaming sort of rig when I go to LAN parties.

yeah, more or less. i had a PC from them once. the build quality was fine but customer service was not great.

Posting from my new pc!! 4 grueling hours of building it and managing wires and whatnot. It was an experience. I did order the $600 build and everything installed fine. I did have a problem with the after market heat sink, had a problem screwing in the little device that held down the heat sink. I didnt know if I had to put pressure or if it just sat in perfect, I was able to finally get it after a good 30 minutes of adjusting. I did apply the thermal paste successfully, well I hope so. :) I cannot wait to start playing some games.

question time, I'm thinking of doing a RAID 10 system as I was reading that it offers both speed and back-up(?) for the bulk of my games and having an SSD for the OS, programs and maybe a game or two (not sure yet)
what do I need to build a RAID 10 array? can I build a RAID array and have the ssd at the same time?

clav

evil solrac v3.0 said:
question time, I'm thinking of doing a RAID 10 system as I was reading that it offers both speed and back-up(?) for the bulk of my games and having an SSD for the OS, programs and maybe a game or two (not sure yet)
what do I need to build a RAID 10 array? can I build a RAID array and have the ssd at the same time?
I have yet to do a RAID setup as I use Windows Home Server to do my backups on all my computers. The MS solution is easy, but it costs money.

You could read up something on Raid 10 and FreeNAS though: http://www.stokecomputerservicesltd.co.uk/techdocs/Create a RAID 10 Array Using FreeNAS.pdf

Smokey

Ummm question....The instructions for my Silverstone says to mount the SSD like this:

IMAG0193.jpg

It came with it's on designated SSD plate. I followed the directions and screwed the SSD onto it. The bracket that came with the Intel SSD will not line up correctly with the standard 3.5 bay where I have my Samsung F4.

That just seems a little unsafe with heat and all....but that's what the directions say to do..?

clav

Is it secure? Does the SSD wobble and fall out?

If it doesn't, then I'm OK with it.

Otherwise, use the 3.5" bracket that came with the drive, and just follow the directions to mount a normal 3.5" drive.

BTW, if it makes you sleep better, there have been plenty of videos on Youtube, especially from Samsung, that show how indestructible SSDs can be.

Smokey

claviertekky said:
Is it secure? Does the SSD wobble and fall out?

If it doesn't, then I'm OK with it.

Otherwise, use the 3.5" bracket that came with the drive, and just follow the directions to mount a normal 3.5" drive.

BTW, if it makes you sleep better, there have been plenty of videos on Youtube, especially from Samsung, that shows how indestructible SSDs can be.

Yes, it's very secure. Just thought it was weird that the directions said to place it there and not in the other hard drive area. And the 3.5 bracket that came with the Intel doesn't align with the HDD brackets in the case. For the holes to line up the Intel bracket hands out of the HDD bracket a good inch or so.

mike23

evil solrac v3.0 said:

A lot of motherboards will support this if the 4 drives are all plugged into identical sata ports on the motherboard. You'd have to look at the manual. The raid won't be as quick probably as a dedicated card would be, but it should be fast. Also, the hard drives should be identical.

They might not support raid 10 specifically, but raid 6 would also be an option for 2 disk redundancy.

Yes, you can also have an SSD. When you set up the raid it will ask you which drives to include.

tafer

Ok guys I want to thank you all again, the machine is running stable and games are not longer crashing. (Running everything at max with no issues is sweet!)

God, so much time invested and so many awesome stuff learned.

Dina

Good work Smokey, first time building your pc?

In any case, just follow the Silverstone's mounting descriptions. The SSD doesn't have moving parts, so if it's set in the case without wobbling, it's not going to go anywhere.

Hello pc people! It's time to upgrade my junk. I have the following rig:

CPU Athlon x2 3800+
MOBO ASUS KN8
Memory 2GB DDR2

GPU ATI HD3800
1TB HD
100GB Agilty 2 SSD

It has served me well for the last 7 years but it's now time to upgrade the CPU, MOBO and memory, because everything else is working just fine. I have a budget of $300 USD. The plan is to use the same case and everything and just change the mobo with the cpu and RAM. I am fairly out of the loop when it comes to processor tech so I would really appreciate your input

scogoth

PCIe 3.0 - 1GB/s bandwidth per lane
Lets get those 32 sandforce controllers on one PCB people. I want 16GB/s transfer speeds.
20110506-khs99cr6cnfa3m8r8eia4fhs39.jpg

20110506-8es8su2w96ab8yd4wufnmyjrtk.jpg

Coldsnap

I'm slowly getting addicted to computer parts, not buying but I like to look. My first computer gear i hated it, loathed it for every second of the 4 years I had it. This new build though I love.

scogoth

Coldsnap said:
I'm slowly getting addicted to computer parts, not buying but I like to look. My first computer gear i hated it, loathed it for every second of the 4 years I had it. This new build though I love.

Careful, you can get addicted. You start buying heastsinks you can't use, cool looking EATX mobos when you only have a ATX case. Next thing you know you're buying SSDs based on packaging and then GPUs for their shrouds! Its an addiction.

Well I just placed my order for my new build.

My five year old and counting athlon 64 pissed me off one time too much.

Here's the build:

1x MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card

1x NCIX Bundle Deal - Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Processor & ASUS P8P67 B3 Motherboard

1x Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM

1x G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

1x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

1x ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

1x Fractal Design Define R3 Black ATX Mid Tower Silent Computer Case 2X5.25 8X3.5INT No PS Front USB

Hopefully I haven't missed anything.
I'm good for a while right?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hazaro said:
Mainly voltage. However more voltage also = more heat so there is that too.

Electron mitigation.

edit : I'm delightfully surprised at how well my new laptop (not really made for gaming) can run games. I was pretty shocked that this puny gpu , 5650, could run anything like bioshock/sf4/cod @ 60 fps high settings.

gregor7777 said:
What are you running?
AMD Athlon II X4
GeForce GTX 460
CM Hyper 212 Plus
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 SDRam
520 PSU ATX 12V
MSI 870 Motherboard
My case is the CM 690 II Advanced
Ive only had it running at night so far since I finished my build around 10 pm. I would assume that my cpu would run hotter once the sun comes up since my room gets pretty warm. Core Temp says 14C right now and for my GPU its saying 39c, only thing Im running is chrome and steam is dling TF2.

ithorien

Coldsnap said:

Ugh, how do you think I got this new build done. Started looking in this thread, then looking at pics, then looking on Newegg and it was over. This thread is awesome, but it is definitely a slippery slope.

Even though I think the hobby is more than worth it, my wife still has a hard time understanding it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Once you get attracted to the look of PC components its over for you. Join us, brother.

The only thing I will tell you is this: never, ever get into benchmarking. Now THAT is a slippery slope.

Look up videos on YouTube of people with quad GTX 580 setups with watercooling. Know what they're doing with that hardware? Benchmarking. That's about it. They basically spend thousands of dollars a year to top the benchmarks.

Fredescu

BronzeWolf said:
Hello pc people! It's time to upgrade my junk. I have the following rig:

CPU Athlon x2 3800+
MOBO ASUS KN8
Memory 2GB DDR2

GPU ATI HD3800
1TB HD
100GB Agilty 2 SSD

It has served me well for the last 7 years but it's now time to upgrade the CPU, MOBO and memory, because everything else is working just fine. I have a budget of $300 USD. The plan is to use the same case and everything and just change the mobo with the cpu and RAM. I am fairly out of the loop when it comes to processor tech so I would really appreciate your input
At that price point, you have two routes to go down really. A $300 budget won't quite get you the very popular Intel i5-2500k. It's popular because it's one of the few overclockable processors in that line. You could probably afford an i5-2300, which will perform very well, but you'll never be able to overclock it. That's why if someone wants to build a gaming machine on a budget and can't afford the i5-2500k, they're usually directed towards AMD. The AMD Phenom II X4 965 is well priced and overclocks very easily. At stock, the i5-2300 will be the faster processor, and use less power to boot. If you plan to use that PC for gaming down the track, getting the 965 would be the better option so you can get the most out of it. Or stretch the budget to $400 and get the best of both worlds ;)

TheExodu5

Banned
Fredescu said:
At that price point, you have two routes to go down really. A $300 budget won't quite get you the very popular Intel i5-2500k. It's popular because it's one of the few overclockable processors in that line. You could probably afford an i5-2300, which will perform very well, but you'll never be able to overclock it. That's why if someone wants to build a gaming machine on a budget and can't afford the i5-2500k, they're usually directed towards AMD. The AMD Phenom II X4 965 is well priced and overclocks very easily. At stock, the i5-2300 will be the faster processor, and use less power to boot. If you plan to use that PC for gaming down the track, getting the 965 would be the better option so you can get the most out of it. Or stretch the budget to $400 and get the best of both worlds ;)

I don't think a 965 will beat the 2300, even when overclocked.

Personally, I would stretch it a tiny bit and get the i5 2500 (not K) with a cheap H67 motherboard and 4GB of RAM. You're getting almost 20% higher clock speed for 13% more money on top of the 2300. Well worth it.

Fredescu said:

I am not too big on overclocking, at least not now, but if I stretch it to $400, somebody is going to advice me to stretch it to $500. If you said the 965 is a sensible choice at that price point without overclocking, I will buy it

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Fredescu said:

i don't get the obsession with overclocking. The sandy bridge i5s are already very good and unless you require massive computing power, a locked non-K i5 is cheaper, plus it means you can use the retail model with standard heatsink (because you're not stressing it) saving money on separate cooler, and you can use a cheaper H67 motherboard. Overall the savings are pretty decent and if you're using a mid-range GPU like a 460, you'll probably be GPU bound anyway.

TheExodu5

Banned
BronzeWolf said:
I am not too big on overclocking, at least not now, but if I stretch it to $400, I expect no more stretch will be needed

Well the ideal would be a P67 motherboard ($120), a 2500k ($225), and 4GB of RAM ($40). If you can, spend $30 and get a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ as a heatsink as well. That would run you $415. You could wait on the heatsink and just get it when you plan on overclocking, but it's a pain to install the heatsink after the fact, since you need to pull the motherboard out to do it.

mrklaw said:
i don't get the obsession with overclocking. The sandy bridge i5s are already very good and unless you require massive computing power, a locked non-K i5 is cheaper, plus it means you can use the retail model with standard heatsink (because you're not stressing it) saving money on separate cooler, and you can use a cheaper H67 motherboard. Overall the savings are pretty decent and if you're using a mid-range GPU like a 460, you'll probably be GPU bound anyway.

Your CPU is going to determine the life of your platform. Sure, you may be GPU bound now, but you want to be able to do 1 or 2 GPU upgrades on your system and not be CPU bound. An i5 2500K at 4.8GHz is going to last a lot longer than one at 3.3GHz. Also, if you're doing tasks that actually use the CPU (video editing, compiling, etc...), you'll actually see the benefit now. If you plan on emulating Wii/GCN games with Dolphin, that extra clock speed will also be very appreciated. Having an overclocked 2500K will probably extend the life of his platform for 2-3 years, if CPU development progresses as it has in the past 5 years.

ithorien

black_vegeta said:
I guess Smokey wasn't done by midnight?

Guess not. First build though, he was probably super careful and probably spent much longer than he could have out of paranoia, but whatever. Better safe than sorry.

mrklaw said:

I want this rig for photo editing capabilities. My photo editing software is crawling right now.I don't plan to do heavy gaming right now. I already have an HD 3800 that serves SCII very well.

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
I guess Smokey wasn't done by midnight?

Naw, not even close. Was paranoid and over reading everything. Decided I'll go slowwwwww so I'll minimize chance of fucking up. Even the little bit that I've done though, it's satisfying putting shit in place yourself :p

Dina said:
Good work Smokey, first time building your pc?

In any case, just follow the Silverstone's mounting descriptions. The SSD doesn't have moving parts, so if it's set in the case without wobbling, it's not going to go anywhere.

Yes first time. I was going so slow yesterday. I have the CPU and RAM on mobo. Blu ray drive, SSD, HDD, and Power supply are installed in the case as well.

For mobo installation, is it better to put everything on it outside of the case, or go ahead and install it in the case and go from there (thinking about this mainly for the GPU).

Velion

Smokey said:
Naw, not even close. Was paranoid and over reading everything. Decided I'll go slowwwwww so I'll minimize chance of fucking up. Even the little bit that I've done though, it's satisfying putting shit in place yourself :p

Yes first time. I was going so slow yesterday. I have the CPU and RAM on mobo. Blu ray drive, SSD, HDD, and Power supply are installed in the case as well.

For mobo installation, is it better to put everything on it outside of the case, or go ahead and install it in the case and go from there (thinking about this mainly for the GPU).
I usually install CPU + Cooler and RAM outside of case (since more room), then install motherboard into case, drives and psu usually come last along with cable bundling.

Fredescu

TheExodu5 said:
I don't think a 965 will beat the 2300, even when overclocked.
True.

BronzeWolf said:
I am not too big on overclocking, at least not now, but if I stretch it to $400, somebody is going to advice me to stretch it to $500. If you said the 965 is a sensible choice at that price point without overclocking, I will buy it
You won't need to go to $500. It's up to you how firm you want to make that budget. It's probably going to have no real effect on your photo editing capabilities one way or the other, but there is a reasonable difference in future potential between the $415 Exodus listed, and the $320 or so an i5-2300/H67 build would cost you.

vexvegaz

not sure if that silverstone case you picked up have slide out motherboard tray, but if it does i highly recommend installing everything outside.

Smokey

Velion said:
I usually install CPU + Cooler and RAM outside of case (since more room), then install motherboard into case, drives and psu usually come last along with cable bundling.

So basically I did it backwards lol. I already have the hard drives, optical, and psu in case.

clav

Just throwing it out there.

It's hard to recommend an AMD processor now when Bulldozer is just around the corner.

scogoth

Smokey said:
I got the Corsair H70. Haven't done that yet.

I had an H50 and installed in case. Its hard to move that mobo into the case with a radiator flailing about.

claviertekky said:
Just throwing it out there.

It's hard to recommend an AMD processor now when Bulldozer is just around the corner.

It hard to recommend anything with tri gate transistors coming out. Think of the overclocking!

Ace 8095

Can someone post a link that can explain monitors to me? Something on response time, refresh rates, and which brands are rated the highest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom