• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade

Tain said:
Anything glaringly wrong with this? Only thing I'm keeping from the old PC is the optical drive. I'm pretty pumped with the sound of it:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$89.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$89.99

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
$499.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
$104.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
$94.99

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$179.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
$314.99

SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA128/US 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$219.99

Total: $1,594.92
If it was me I'd get a 2500k instead and with the money left over buy the EVGA 3GB GTX 580.
Also you could switch the HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 and save $20.

Tain said:
Anything glaringly wrong with this? Only thing I'm keeping from the old PC is the optical drive. I'm pretty pumped with the sound of it:

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$89.99

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$89.99

ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5 GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
$499.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
$104.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
$94.99

ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$179.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
$314.99

SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA128/US 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$219.99

Total: $1,594.92
Only quibble I can find is the SSD. I would go with Intel or OCZ (even Crucial). Otherwise, beast of a machine.

Le-mo

claviertekky said:
That should definitely fit in the grey (white) ones. It didn't fit? Sometimes they do require some force to push down.

Was there something blocking it?

From the design of the mobo, looks like you could be jamming some wires in between if you're not careful installing a card in the PCI slot.
There was nothing blocking it. The slot on the card that I bought only covered about 3/4 of that grey slot so you couldn't snap it on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tain said:
Glaringly wrong? no

I'd get the Intel 510, Samsung 1TB F3.
Do you really need a 580 / 2600K?
A 570 and 2500K will offer close performance for a chunk of change less.

For anyone who can wait and is interested, the Z68 mobos should be out by next week. They're already being used by the new iMacs, as a matter of fact.

claviertekky said:
Ah. Yeah it's a digital download. You'll make your own hard copy as you need a blank DVD or thumb drive to do the installation.

Alternatively, for the same digital download, if you're currently taking a Computer Science course or in an engineering program, your school will usually have access to MSDNAA, which provides two digital copies for free.

is that an upgrade disc or the actual OS?

clav

Alucrid said:
Web, class work (word/excel). That's really about it. I do plan on using rainmeter though for a nice desktop. Nothing to strenuous on it though. Also, is a SSD worth it for a netbook? I mean, the more I think about it the less it does. I dunno, that would save me ~300-400 bucks though.
It doesn't hurt to have a bit more power, but that's up to your wallet. I wouldn't do it, but I'm one of those crazy people who likes upgrading old CPUs.

As for the SSD, do you plan on buying one yourself? If so, what kind?

evil solrac v3.0 said:
is that an upgrade disc or the actual OS?

It's the upgrade disk.

Le-mo said:
There was nothing blocking it. The slot on the card that I bought only covered about 3/4 of that grey slot so you couldn't snap it on.

Not all cards are supposed to cover the slot. At the very least, the notches are supposed to align the left/right holder depending on the slot.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why it didn't fit.

update: I just went through my scrap pile and found some dead/old PCI networking cards. All of these fit in that slot you said that can't fit.

kdqssn.jpg

These all fit. Maybe I'm overlooking something GAF.

GAF, shouldn't all PCI conventional card slots fit PCI cards unless stated otherwise (i.e. PCI-X, Mini-PCIe)?

Yeah, they should. Borrowed from wikipedia:

vesvfb.png

Your grey (white) slots are the 5V 32-bit PCI ones.

Is there something up with the way your friend's motherboard was mounted in the first place?

Are you trolling me? You do realize the card you linked me is a wired card.

Tain

Saren is Bad said:
Only quibble I can find is the SSD. I would go with Intel or OCZ (even Crucial). Otherwise, beast of a machine.

comrade said:
If it was me I'd get a 2500k instead and with the money left over buy the EVGA 3GB GTX 580.
Also you could switch the HDD for a Samsung Spinpoint F3 and save $20.

Hazaro said:
Glaringly wrong? no

I'd get the Intel 510, Samsung 1TB F3.
Do you really need a 580 / 2600K?
A 570 and 2500K will offer close performance for a chunk of change less.

Thanks for the input! I went with an OCZ SSD and the F3. Keeping the CPU and GPU as they are, though; I really want a good CPU, I feel like I skimped on the CPU in my last two builds. And I didn't go for the 570/2500k because I've been buying cheap-as-possible PCs my whole life. :D

Ordered, pumped as hell.

comrade

Tain said:
Thanks for the input! I went with an OCZ SSD and the F3. Keeping the CPU and GPU as they are, though; I really want a good CPU, I feel like I skimped on the CPU in my last two builds. And I didn't go for the 570/2500k because I've been buying cheap-as-possible PCs my whole life. :D

Ordered, pumped as hell.
2500k is definitely not skimping. The people running them at 5ghz+ will tell you that. :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm this might sound like a stupid question ...buuut

Is it the voltage itself or the resulting increase in temperature that degrades the lifespan on cpus, with regards to overclocking ?

Kalnos

Banned
Corky said:

Is it the voltage itself or the resulting increase in temperature that degrades the lifespan on cpus, with regards to overclocking ?

Ah, I see I misread your question. nvm.

vexvegaz

Corky said:

both but its mainly the voltage. there is even a term for it, but i cant seem to remember it off hand.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Tain said:

Ordered, pumped as hell.
2500K is not skimping. If you don't use more than 4 core you are going to see almost 0 difference for $100 more.
Corky said:

Mainly voltage. However more voltage also = more heat so there is that too.

Electron mitigation.

Smokey

It's about to go down GAF. Shit just got real. Everything I need to build the Deathstar is in my possession:

IMAG0190.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

And the case that's not pictured.

YES YES

fuuuuuu intimidated :/

Gvaz

Banned
claviertekky said:

Yes, if it's PCI it fits into a PCI slot unless otherwise specified. The only issue will be bandwidth, but that's more of an issue on PCI-E slots (such as 1x and 8x and such)

Le-mo

claviertekky said:
Not all cards are supposed to cover the slot. At the very least, the notches are supposed to align the left/right holder depending on the slot.

I'm having a difficult time understanding why it didn't fit.

update: I just went through my scrap pile and found some dead/old PCI networking cards. All of these fit in that slot you said that can't fit.

kdqssn.jpg

GAF, shouldn't all PCI conventional card slots fit PCI cards unless stated otherwise (i.e. PCI-X, Mini-PCIe)?

Yeah, they should. Borrowed from wikipedia:

vesvfb.png

Your grey (white) slots are the 5V 32-bit PCI ones.

Is there something up with the way your friend's motherboard was mounted in the first place?

Are you trolling me? You do realize the card you linked me is a wired card.
Yah, I realized I bought the wrong card, but it should still fit on that PCI slot wouldn't? I prefer to shop on Amazon so I was wondering if this card would work. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WMP54G-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter/dp/B000085BD8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304641750&sr=1-5
Thank for all your help.

ithorien

Smokey said:
I tried to cover the horror with the RAM :p

IMAG0076.jpg

Silverstone FT02

So if I start this NOW...or at 730..what are the chances I'll be gaming by 12am

If it goes well, very high. Windows 7 install to an SSD takes like 20 minutes maybe.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Got my 6950 in. Before I begin, wasn't there a good driver cleaner I could run to get the nvidia drrivers out completely before installing? I forgot the name of it.

Alucrid

Banned
claviertekky said:
It doesn't hurt to have a bit more power, but that's up to your wallet. I wouldn't do it, but I'm one of those crazy people who likes upgrading old CPUs.

As for the SSD, do you plan on buying one yourself? If so, what kind?

I could get the max CPU option for the laptop, but yeah, that money would also be nice to put towards something else. I mean, would the i3 be comparable to, say, my desktops 3.16 Core 2 Duo? As for the SSD, if I do it, probably intel or crucial. I've heard good things about sandforce controller.

Smokey

alright, what the tha fuck is it supposed to take super human effort to look down the cpu chip with that lever thing on the asus p67 mobo?

knitoe

Smokey said:
alright, what the tha fuck is it supposed to take super human effort to look down the cpu chip with that lever thing on the p67 mob?
Doesn't take that much effort. If it does, the cpu could be in the wrong orientation. That would be very bad.

Hey, quick question. About a month ago I built a new PC with much help from this forum (I still need to upload pics!). I installed in 8GB (2x 4GB) G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) RAM. Would there be a major improvement if I had used RAM with speeds of 1600-2000? This is my first PC build and I am amazed at how powerful it is, but I wonder if going with the lowest speed of RAM was too cheap. Also, if I were to someday get an SSD, would my 1333 RAM be fast enough or cause a bottleneck?

Smokey

knitoe said:
Doesn't take that much effort. If it does, the cpu could be in the wrong orientation. That would be very bad.

i ended up getting it..im following one of those videos in the OP..had to stop being a pussy and just press a bit more on the lever lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
Quicksilver4648 said:
Hey, quick question. About a month ago I built a new PC with much help from this forum (I still need to upload pics!). I installed in 8GB (2x 4GB) G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) RAM. Would there be a major improvement if I had used RAM with speeds of 1600-2000? This is my first PC build and I am amazed at how powerful it is, but I wonder if going with the lowest speed of RAM was too cheap. Also, if I were to someday get an SSD, would my 1333 RAM be fast enough or cause a bottleneck?
The ram you have is fine, you wouldn't notice a difference with the faster ram. Also, your ram isn't going to bottleneck your ssd at all. Enjoy!

Smokey said:
i ended up getting it..im following one of those videos in the OP..had to stop being a pussy and just press a bit more on the lever lol
I to was kind of surprised at the amount of force I needed when pushing down the lever on my asrock p67 board. I looked up videos online to see how much force dudes were using.

ithorien

The Teachinator said:
I to was kind of surprised at the amount of force I needed when pushing down the lever on my asrock p67 board. I looked up videos online to see how much force dudes were using.

Not to mention the crunching sound. Everything points to you breaking it, when in fact you're doing it right (presumably).

Smokey

noob question:

the lg blu ray player i have...came with 2 SATA cables..a long skinny red one, and a much shorter one (black on one end white on the other)...do I need to use both of these or can I just choose one?

Kalnos

Banned
Smokey said:
noob question:

the lg blu ray player i have...came with 2 SATA cables..a long skinny red one, and a much shorter one (black on one end white on the other)...do I need to use both of these or can I just choose one?

Two cables will go into the DVD drive, one from the PSU to the DVD drive and one from the MB to the DVD drive. Those two cables you have might be the same thing, just of varying lengths, but you will need to plug in two cables.

I.E. You will have a SATA power cable and a SATA cable.

ithorien

Smokey said:
noob question:

They most likely gave you a short and long. Are the plugs the exact same?

Gvaz

Banned
Smokey said:
alright, what the tha fuck is it supposed to take super human effort to look down the cpu chip with that lever thing on the asus p67 mobo?
The only thing is to line the |> up properly and see that it's set evenly on the top of the ZIF. It doesn't matter how much force (though it should take almost none) at that point because it should just work.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I received and installed my new Radeon 6950 2 GB today. Replaces my GTX 460. I run 3D Mark 06 and...my scores are lower. What in the flapjack hell would cause that?!

Question about SATA connectors. Should i use the 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s connectors? Also can it get messed up if you put like a 6Gb/s cable on a 3Gb/s port?

knitoe

Syphon Filter said:
Question about SATA connectors. Should i use the 3Gb/s or 6Gb/s connectors? Also can it get messed up if you put like a 6Gb/s cable on a 3Gb/s port?
If a device is faster then the 3GB/s port, use the label 6GB/s port and cable. Otherwise, doesn't really matter since 6GB/s ports & cables are backward compatible.

darthbob

Syphon Filter said:

The cables are exactly the same, doesn't matter.

clav

Le-mo said:
Yah, I realized I bought the wrong card, but it should still fit on that PCI slot wouldn't? I prefer to shop on Amazon so I was wondering if this card would work. http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WMP54G-Wireless-G-PCI-Adapter/dp/B000085BD8/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304641750&sr=1-5
Thank for all your help.

Yeah that seems great.

You might want to read this first though as that card a lot of people are complaining about no Windows 7 drivers (64-bit) support. This guy figured it out:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1L0LUMX0T1PVQ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_1

Alucrid said:
I could get the max CPU option for the laptop, but yeah, that money would also be nice to put towards something else. I mean, would the i3 be comparable to, say, my desktops 3.16 Core 2 Duo? As for the SSD, if I do it, probably intel or crucial. I've heard good things about sandforce controller.

Definitely. It'll be comparable. To this day, I can still do daily tasks using a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 6000D laptop with an upgraded Pentium M single core processor clocked 2.13 GHz. People with the new AMD fusion netbooks can do daily tasks as well.

Heck my desktop is powered by a E2180 (dual core 2.0 GHz processor).

If you're up for playing games on a laptop, that's a big no no in my book.

In the end, it's up to you if you think the $100 is worth for that small MHz bump.

As for your SSD, it appears the X220(i) uses SATA III, so you're in the clear to appreciate the speeds of the OCZ Vertex III or the Corsair C300. The Intel is there for proven reliability.

As for SandForce, there have been a lot of nasty things about the old controllers (OCZ Vertex II) in terms of reliability. A lot of bricking reports, so I would stay a ten feet pole away from it. The new SandForce drives like the OCZ Vertex III have yet to have problems.

My 8800 GT recently blew up on my 3-year-old rig. Foolish me, I assumed that a GT 240 would be a cheaper, more powerful alternative. Cheaper, yes; more powerful, no ( at least according to the benchmarks). Problem is, it looks like anything better requires a better PSU than my feeble 375-W unit. Any alternative recommendations? Not ready to build a whole new desktop (my next indulgence will probably be a laptop.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom