• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

Hey guys ,

finally putting together my build,

I have ~200 for a vid card, what's my best option? I'm not biased towards either company.

thanks!

So far I have,

corsair 12gb vengeance
i7 quad 2600k
asus sabertooth mobo
1.5tb wd black hdd
fractal define r3 case
corsair 650w modular p/s

clav

scogoth said:
It hard to recommend anything with tri gate transistors coming out. Think of the overclocking!

Bu bubububububut what about those with smaller budgets and disagree with Intel's 2 year cycle? :(

THINK OF ALL THE WASTE

Wazzim

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
Hey guys ,

finally putting together my build,

I have ~200 for a vid card, what's my best option? I'm not biased towards either company.

thanks!

So far I have,

corsair 12gb vengeance
i7 quad 2600k
asus sabertooth mobo
1.5tb wd black hdd
fractal define r3 case
corsair 650w modular p/s
Europe or US? Europe=6950 US=GTX560 (assuming there are $200 cards in the US, they are already below €180 here)

Hawk269

ithorien said:
Guess not. First build though, he was probably super careful and probably spent much longer than he could have out of paranoia, but whatever. Better safe than sorry.

lol. I was the same way. It took me a very long time to do my 1st build. If I had to another today, I could do it in a 1/4 of the time, if not faster. 1st builds are nerve racking and constantly checking if you did someting right, but once you get that first build under your belt, it is as easy as pie to do.

scogoth

claviertekky said:
Bu bubububububut what about those with smaller budgets and disagree with Intel's 2 year cycle? :(

THINK OF ALL THE WASTE

2 year cycle? You mean 1 year cycle.

I love it. More tech. Next build is going to be unlocked Ivy Bridge, Z77 mobo, watercooled, 2x GTX680s and an Arc Mini case.

DBebm5 said:
My 8800 GT recently blew up on my 3-year-old rig. Foolish me, I assumed that a GT 240 would be a cheaper, more powerful alternative. Cheaper, yes; more powerful, no ( at least according to the benchmarks). Problem is, it looks like anything better requires a better PSU than my feeble 375-W unit. Any alternative recommendations? Not ready to build a whole new desktop (my next indulgence will probably be a laptop.).

If it ran a 8800GT then a 5770 will work just fine as it has the same power draw:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/13

Under $100 after rebate and a significant upgrade in performance.

Hawk269

Well, so far my rig I built is running like a charm, no major issues with it all, aside from a few little things that I can fix. So now, I am entering the time that I need to start backing up my data on my HDD's. I have 2xSamsung HDD at 1GB each. I am looking at external HDD's to use for backup purposes.

I am not sure what is good/bad etc. and how exactly backing up works. I know about the Windows backup, but I want to make a complete backup of everything on my HDD's to an external HDD. So I am seeking some feedback/input on 2 things.

1. Which is a good, not too expensive externall hdd?
2. What program/programs can I use to make full backup's of both of my HDD's onto 1 back up external HDD?

Thanks as always for any help!

ithorien

Hawk269 said:
Well, so far my rig I built is running like a charm, no major issues with it all, aside from a few little things that I can fix. So now, I am entering the time that I need to start backing up my data on my HDD's. I have 2xSamsung HDD at 1GB each. I am looking at external HDD's to use for backup purposes.

I am not sure what is good/bad etc. and how exactly backing up works. I know about the Windows backup, but I want to make a complete backup of everything on my HDD's to an external HDD. So I am seeking some feedback/input on 2 things.

1. Which is a good, not too expensive externall hdd?
2. What program/programs can I use to make full backup's of both of my HDD's onto 1 back up external HDD?

Thanks as always for any help!

In terms of OS, I really like Acronis. Makes an image of all your stuff, can have it compress it at max for less space used. If things go wrong, you boot from a disc and restore the image.

Hawk269

ithorien said:
In terms of OS, I really like Acronis. Makes an image of all your stuff, can have it compress it at max for less space used. If things go wrong, you boot from a disc and restore the image.

Not looking for a new operating system, just something that uses Windows that would allow a full back of both internal HDD's. I was tinking of a 2tb or 3tb externall this way I could do it without compression so if I need to restore I could just re-copy the stuff from the externall back to the internal drives.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are saying though as I think I may! lol

ithorien said:

Acronis is the best out there right now imo

ithorien

Hawk269 said:
Not looking for a new operating system, just something that uses Windows that would allow a full back of both internal HDD's. I was tinking of a 2tb or 3tb externall this way I could do it without compression so if I need to restore I could just re-copy the stuff from the externall back to the internal drives.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding what you are saying though as I think I may! lol

Yep :p

Acronis is just a program, not the OS. It'll take your primary HDD, and make an image of how everything is, so in a situation that your HDD craps out or whatever, you can revert everything exactly to how it was when you made the image.

As for everything else, I just toss random things here and there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just installed my intel 320 series ssd and it smokes my old corsair p128. I'm liking how ssd's are getting faster and cheaper :)

Coldsnap

So what would happen if I plug my computer into my 52" Panasonic Plasma TV through HDMI? I got a 2500k and GTX 560 would the resolution of my TV be too big to run games on it? Also since It's just HDMI will the video card also transmit audio or am I SOL with audio? I sort of want to download Metro 2033 hook it up to my big TV and play it with a controller on my couch...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm thinking about building an HTPC. I was waiting for the Mac Mini refreshes, but they are taking forever. I plan on running XBMC, unless there is something else better out there. I was putting this off, but I really want one especially since I will be moving into my own studio apartment relatively soon.

I have an extra ATI 4870 laying around that I was going to put in the Dell T110 I just ordered, but I have no idea if it will fit. I could put it in the HTPC, unless it would be recommended getting a lower powered card.

I would like a smallish SSD in the machine to use for the operating system, since I figure that would help with the boot times to get to watching my shows faster. I will be getting my videos from the Dell T110 server mentioned earlier connected on a LAN. I would run Windows 7 on it with XBMC starting at startup, but Linux could work too.

I need my HTPC to

Play any file type flawlessly
1080p even at a high bit rate
5.1 out to a receiver through HDMI using either using PCM or able to decode the codecs on each file type correctly.
Work without a lot of problems.

A plus would be emulation support, but that is not necessary.

Budget Around $500. $1000 at most.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Coldsnap said:
So what would happen if I plug my computer into my 52" Panasonic Plasma TV through HDMI? I got a 2500k and GTX 560 would the resolution of my TV be too big to run games on it? Also since It's just HDMI will the video card also transmit audio or am I SOL with audio? I sort of want to download Metro 2033 hook it up to my big TV and play it with a controller on my couch...
It's not too big. You can run at 1920x1080, and be laughing.

I have heard that the current nVidia supports both audio and video through HDMI, but I don't know that for sure (I use AMD/ATi).

In any event, if you can't just put an HDMI into the TV, use HDMI for the video, and then have an optical cable running to the TV from your mobo. This is assuming you have an optical out on your mobo.

First time in this thread, recently began to start thinking about buying a new pc, so here i am ; P
What do you guys think about this configuration i'm thinking about ordering? I've been pondering over it for quite some times and it seems solid to me, but i'd like to hear your opinions first :

COOLERMASTER
Alimentatore 750 Watt Serie GX

CORSAIR
Memoria Dimm XMS3 8 Gb (2x4Gb) ddr3 1600 Mhz CL9

INTEL
Processore Core i5-2500 (Sandy Bridge) Quad-Core 3,30 Ghz GPU integrata HD 2000 socket LGA 1155 Boxato

SAPPHIRE
Radeon HD 6970 2 Gb ddr5 Pci-E DVI-I Dual Link / DVI-D Single Link / HDMI / 2 x Mini-Display Port Sapphire Design

ASUS
Motherboard P8P67-M PRO Rev. B3 Socket LGA 1155 chipset Intel P67 Micro-ATX

SAMSUNG
Spinpoint F3 1 Tb Sata 300 Buffer 32 Mb 7200 rpm

SAMSUNG
Monitor TFT 23" wide SyncMaster P2350 (2ms)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What are you hooking it up to? Monitor and speakers? TV and sound system?

LEGGZZZZ

Seriously thinking about joining pc gaming to fully experience Battlefield 3 this Fall and the Witcher series. Only problem is I don't know shit about how this stuff works (how to build the pc/ parts to buy/ what they do/etc). I know there is info in the OP, but are there any good starting points for someone who is a complete noob like me?

Hawk269

thetrin said:

I have heard that the current nVidia supports both audio and video through HDMI, but I don't know that for sure (I use AMD/ATi).

In any event, if you can't just put an HDMI into the TV, use HDMI for the video, and then have an optical cable running to the TV from your mobo. This is assuming you have an optical out on your mobo.

Yes, Nvidia cards with the Mini-Hdmi out comes with an adapter to plug into a standard size HDMI. They will also out put stereo, 5.1, 7.1 audio as well. I have my rig hooked up to my 55" 3D Sony TV via HDMI and have the Audio via the same HDMI.

Hawk269

ithorien said:
Yep :p

Acronis is just a program, not the OS. It'll take your primary HDD, and make an image of how everything is, so in a situation that your HDD craps out or whatever, you can revert everything exactly to how it was when you made the image.

As for everything else, I just toss random things here and there.

Can that program do both of my HDD's though? I have programs on both drives, most of my steam games are on the primary, while my other games are on the other drive. I want to be able to back them both up to an externall HDD.

ithorien

Hawk269 said:
Can that program do both of my HDD's though? I have programs on both drives, most of my steam games are on the primary, while my other games are on the other drive. I want to be able to back them both up to an externall HDD.

Yes.

apana

Hey guys I asked this in the steam thread but didn't get a reply. What does SecuRom do and how does it work? I'm reading about it on their website and they say certain parts of SecuRom can never be gotten rid of. Can it spy on me?

brain_stew said:
If it ran a 8800GT then a 5770 will work just fine as it has the same power draw:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/13

Under $100 after rebate and a significant upgrade in performance.

Thanks! And, well, crap--looks like I'll by stopping by Fry's on my way home.

Gotta stop spending so much time in this thread...I'm getting increasingly tempted to start on a new build (when all I wanted was to replace a dead video card in my 3-year-old system :lol).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trojita said:
I'm thinking about building an HTPC. I was waiting for the Mac Mini refreshes, but they are taking forever. I plan on running XBMC, unless there is something else better out there. I was putting this off, but I really want one especially since I will be moving into my own studio apartment relatively soon.

I have an extra ATI 4870 laying around that I was going to put in the Dell T110 I just ordered, but I have no idea if it will fit. I could put it in the HTPC, unless it would be recommended getting a lower powered card.

I would like a smallish SSD in the machine to use for the operating system, since I figure that would help with the boot times to get to watching my shows faster. I will be getting my videos from the Dell T110 server mentioned earlier connected on a LAN. I would run Windows 7 on it with XBMC starting at startup, but Linux could work too.

I need my HTPC to

Play any file type flawlessly
1080p even at a high bit rate
5.1 out to a receiver through HDMI using either using PCM or able to decode the codecs on each file type correctly.
Work without a lot of problems.

A plus would be emulation support, but that is not necessary.

Budget Around $500. $1000 at most.

refurb/used mac mini - you don't need a current one to do 1080p. Or an Acer revo. Relatively low powered CPU but has a GPU with hardware decode so will do 1080p just fine.

Windam

Scaley member
Sorry to be a bother once again, guys. I haven't ordered my heatsink yet since I decided I'd rather save a few bucks on shipping and go to Canada Computers, and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13/Freezer 13 PRO have recently caught my attention. I haven't checked them out space-wise compared to the Hyper 212 Plus (which is large and would seem to give me very little room in my case), but they seem to be decent enough. Would I be good with one of these and some aftermarket thermal paste? I'm trying to decide between MX-4 and AS5. Any advantages one might have over the other, aside from AS5 being extremely popular?

thetrin said:

I'm running the nvidia 580 out to my onkyo 805 via hdmi....no issues passing 5.1 to my receiver. However, you won't be able to do truthd or dts master it'll downmix to dts5.1 or dd5.1

Smokey

vexvegaz said:
are you planning on using the stock fan or planning to upgrade with a good push and pull setup?
Stock.

Need to get my feet under me first :p. Soon as I leave this food place time to get it in again.

thetrin

apana said:
Do you mind telling us whether or not it has the five install limit and SecuRom along with ti?
Steam versions of games don't have additional DRM. Steam IS DRM.

Coldsnap

How come on my TV it says Native Resolution (Number of Pixels) 2,073,600 (1,920 x 1,080), but when my desktop is setup on my TV when i set my resolution to 1,920 x 1080 some of the windows taskbar is cut off.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
thetrin said:
Steam versions of games don't have additional DRM. Steam IS DRM.

That's not completely true; many publishers don't bother removing the retail DRM when putting their games on Steam. For example, both Batman: AA and Crysis have SecuROM and activation limits.

Weenerz

Banned
JaseC said:
That's not completely true; many publishers don't bother removing the retail DRM when putting their games on Steam. For example, both Batman: AA and Crysis have SecuROM and activation limits.

He means Steamworks titles. They use Steam for the DRM.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Weenerz said:
He means Steamworks titles. They use Steam for the DRM.

Considering his post was in reply to somebody asking about Crysis, no, I don't think he meant just that.

Cory_t_ said:
I don't mean to contribute to this off topic discussion but what's up with this secureROM? Is it really that bad? The wiki on it doesn't have much information.

As the Wikipedia article will tell you, SecuROM is simply too restrictive and a pain in the arse to manage. The technology draws ire from Steam users in particular as it's completely unnecessary on the platform.

Cory_t_

I don't mean to contribute to this off topic discussion but what's up with this secureROM? Is it really that bad? The wiki on it doesn't have much information.

Coldsnap

Holy shit... playing metro 2033 on my 54" TV through my sound system... I think I just converted to a PC gamer. My computer is staying connected to this TV, time to sell my monitor.

Coldsnap said:
Holy shit... playing metro 2033 on my 54" TV through my sound system... I think I just converted to a PC gamer. My computer is staying connected to this TV, time to sell my monitor.
That's my plan and I figure I can save a ton by bypassing the monitor route to begin with.

Ive decided to get all the components of my PC (ram, gpu, ssd etc) and a new am3+ Mobo and just use my X4 940 Black processer until the new AM3+ series CPU's hit.

Kraut

Finally got my case (R3) and I'm going to start building my first PC from scratch. I will be so depressed if I mess something up.

apana

JaseC said:
Considering his post was in reply to somebody asking about Crysis, no, I don't think he meant just that.

As the Wikipedia article will tell you, SecuROM is simply too restrictive and a pain in the arse to manage. The technology draws ire from Steam users in particular as it's completely unnecessary on the platform.

Sorry I didn't mean to ask an off topic question but I wasn't sure which thread to put the question in. I thought people in here know a lot about computers so they could answer it easily. On the Steam website they say Crysis has 3rd Party DRM: SecuRom and a 5 machine activation limit. Some have been saying that this is no longer true and their site simply isn't updated. I just wanted to know if people who have recently downloaded Crysis can tell me one way or the other and if people in general could talk about their experienes with Securom. I would have kept this in the steam thread but no one seems to be answering. The Securom website says its completely harmless but you can't ever fully remove it from your computer, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom