• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheExodu5 said:
450-500 is far too generous. That's nearly full price.

I'd say $350 at most.

Totalled up, the components equal around $410. Add Windows and you have $510. This price should be brought down considerably for 2 reasons:

1) Some items may be unecessary to you (ATX instead of the cheaper mATX), Wireless N card

2) Some components may simply not be as desirable today as they were when the PC was purchased: Athlon 630, Radeon 5770...since not many people would buy these components new today, I would consider their market value even lower.

edit: you're missing the case in there. That will add around $50 probably, making the PC worth around $560 brand new. $350 is a fair price for a friend.
yea true man, plus its used stuff, 350 would be a great deal

Varna

To people with 580s... What are your temps looking like?

Mine seem a bit scary. Card idles at 30-40 depending on how hot it is and in most games it only gets to 70c at the highest. With the latest 3DMark is can can get as high as 80c... not really a big deal, benchmark programs are meant to stress the card. But when I playing Crysis also causes temps to hit 80c... Don't feel very comfortable playing like this.

Is it normal? My case has good airflow. My 460 SC only hit 70 at the highest. Any other things I could do?

TheExodu5

Banned
Varna said:

Mine seem a bit scary. Card idles at 30-40 depending on how hot it is and in most games it only gets to 70c at the highest. With the latest 3DMark is can can get as high as 80c... not really a big deal, benchmark programs are meant to stress the card. But when I playing Crysis also causes temps to hit 80c... Don't feel very comfortable playing like this.

Is it normal? My case has good airflow. My 460 SC only hit 70 at the highest. Any other things I could do?

80C is fine.

GPUs can handle up to high 80s no problem. They can handle higher (8800GTs ran mostly at around 95C), but that's starting to get near the threshold.

The GTX 580 will get hotter. It takes twice the power of the GTX 460.

Hawk269

Varna said:

Yeah, that is right around where my temps are. I have 2 in SLI and my top card idles around 40-44c, under load I peak at around 82c, but this is very rare. I do have a custom fan profile to keep the cool. Now, that 82c I hit that was under Unigine running around 5-6 runs. While gaming, the highest I have seen is about 75c or so.

My 2 cards are also overclocked to 875 on the core, so that is adding to it. But your cards are very normal man, nothing to worry about.

Kalnos

Banned
So, is it normal for the second pci-e x16 slot (which runs at x8) to only work for a video card if one is being used in the first slot (I.E. SLI)? The reason I ask is, my system boots fine both ways, but if I have nothing plugged into the first pci-e slot then I get no video.

TheExodu5

Banned
My EVGA GTX 570s peak at around 85-86C, at ~60% fan speed. It all depends on how the fan profile is set up. If you really wanted to, you could just ramp up the fan speed, but unless you're pushing a big overclock, I don't see the point. There's no point in lowering temps just for the sake of it. GPU cooling should work to balance these 2 points:

1) Noise levels
2) Card stability

What I mean by card stability: the higher you push your clock speeds, the more unstable the card will become. Lower temperatures give the card higher stability, letting you overclock without necessarily needing to push the voltage as high as you think.

Personally, I think high-end GPU stock coolers are far too loud to justify with overclocking. My suggestion is to just not worry about it. If you're under 90C, don't touch anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
My 6800, 7950GT, and 8800GT all ran at 90-95C. Highish end cards ran really hot back then.

The GTX 460 is really the point when GPU stock cooling started not being terrible. I still think stock cooling should be much better than it is, but at least it's improving.

I still recommend to anyone buying a new card to look at options like the MSI Twin Frozr and Asus DirectCu II cards. Same price, but much better cooling.

Chesskid1

Banned
hey guys,

i was wondering what's the best course of action to play the witcher ii. i don't care to get a new video card even though it's old, simply because i don't PC game much anymore, not many dedicated PC games graphically.

anyways, I have a Phenom II Quad + 4870.

I also have a 2560x1600 monitor due to the sort of work i do on the PC i need a high resolution. i didn't get it for gaming, but it's a side effect i suppose :p

anyways, what's my best option when playing a newer game my outdated comp can't do?

should i lower the graphics (from high to med for example) and keep native resolution? or lower resolution first? which is more important?

should i lower resolution, if so should i do unscaled (setting it for the monitor doesn't stretch the picture, i'm not sure if i can but im pretty sure it's possible) or should i have the picture be upscaled by the video card?

you don't really need to mention the witcher ii to be specific, i'm thinkin any game in general what's the standard i should be doing. i'm thinkin about hooking it up to my TV as well, but i'd rather not cause no where to put keyboard/mouse.

thanks <3

scogoth

Chesskid1 said:
hey guys,

i was wondering what's the best course of action to play the witcher ii. i don't care to get a new video card even though it's old, simply because i don't PC game much anymore, not many dedicated PC games.

anyways, I have a Phenom II Quad + 4870.

I also have a 2560x1600 monitor due to the sort of work i do on the PC i need a high resolution.

anyways, what's my best option when playing a newer game my outdated comp can't do?

should i lower the graphics (from high to med for example) and keep native resolution?

should i lower resolution, if so should i do unscaled (setting it for the monitor doesn't stretch the picture, i'm not sure if i can but im pretty sure it's possible) or should i have the picture be upscaled by the video card?

you don't really need to mention the witcher ii to be specific, i'm thinkin any game in general what's the standard i should be doing. i'm thinkin about hooking it up to my TV as well, but i'd rather not cause no where to put keyboard/mouse.

thanks <3

Turn AA off, turn filtering off, lower shadows, lower textures and if you still don't get a good framerate lower resolution. It would be batter on your TV beacuse then you're playing at 1920x1080 but still at native resolution. No older card will be able to handle 2560x1600, most newer cards would have trouble running max at that resolution.

Sanjay

reptilescorpio said:
Thanks for the power charts! Came on to ask if my build would be okay with a TX-650 with 460SLI so it looks like the SLI doesn't take up as much power as I thought.

i5 2500k
ASUS p8p67 PRO
8 Gig of GSkills
SSD once I choose one
F4 2TB HDD
2x 460gtx
Xonar DG soundcard
Corsair TX-650?

i7 920 @ 4.2
sli 460 oced
ssd, 4 otherhard drives
xonar sound card

Using a Corsair HX650W. So yes that would be enough.

Smokey

Saren is Bad said:
Nope, and part of me thinks something horrible went wrong.

Heh trust if something was wrong I'd be blowing this thread up :p. This week has been very busy at work and I had to do some addtional work yesterday from 6p - 12a :/. So needless to say I've been a bit tired. I've been putting pieces together here and there. Got the H70 backplate and ring thing installed on motherboard. Next step is to install motherboard in the case, finish rest of H70, and add the 580.

Anony

for the people who's always asking for computer specs on a tight budget,
there nothing wrong with getting some on your parts used
you can get a significant upgrade if u buy your video card or cpu used

i got my 6870 for 160 CAD vs probably ~180-200 on sale mind you, after MIR, and i saved on tax

of course, you have to know how to deal with people, the guy i found was really nice, and assured me that if things didnt work or was not happy, he'd give me a full refund
you gotta pick carefully

Smokey

This fucking flap on the ps/2 port...

IMAG0196.jpg

Does it serve any purpose other than to annoy me? Can I cut this off? Trying to place mobo in the case and it won't line in correctly with the backplate because of this guy.

Manp

useless? yes
should prevent you from lining up the connector with the backplate? no

you sure there isn't something else wrong?

:)

Smokey

Manp said:
useless? yes
should prevent you from lining up the connector with the backplate? no

you sure there isn't something else wrong?

That part sticks out preventing those ports from going into the backplate. Everything else goes in like it's supposed to.

Wazzim

Banned
Smokey said:
This fucking flap on the ps/2 port...

IMAG0196.jpg

Does it serve any purpose other than to annoy me? Can I cut this off? Trying to place mobo in the case and it won't line in correctly with the backplate because of this guy.
That's just another thing to ground your mobo to the case, just cut it off if it annoys you.

Omiee

how do i overclock these direct cu 2 cards, when i put the clock speed at 980, it runs fine for a few second and than it freezes on me.
also one card has idle temps of 30 and one has idle temps of 44 ( i think its the top one since it has little room because it takes 3 slots.

Manp

Smokey said:
That part sticks out preventing those ports from going into the backplate. Everything else goes in like it's supposed to.

if the ports line up correctly you just have to push the motherboard harder in the direction of the backplate, and once all the ports are against the backplate put in one screw to block the mb in place.

IMACOMPUTA

TheExodu5 said:
450-500 is far too generous. That's nearly full price.

I'd say $350 at most.

Totalled up, the components equal around $410. Add Windows and you have $510. This price should be brought down considerably for 2 reasons:

1) Some items may be unecessary to you (ATX instead of the cheaper mATX), Wireless N card

2) Some components may simply not be as desirable today as they were when the PC was purchased: Athlon 630, Radeon 5770...since not many people would buy these components new today, I would consider their market value even lower.

edit: you're missing the case in there. That will add around $50 probably, making the PC worth around $560 brand new. $350 is a fair price for a friend.
Thanks man, you got it right. Case was around $50 and it does include Windows.
I'll see what he thinks.

Smokey

I'm honestly about to just say fuck the h70. why does NOTHING line up correct. I've taken everything off again read the directions for the 6th time....none of the damm holes on the mobo line up with the holes on the back plate of the h70. I've had other people come take a look just to make sure I'm not stupid and they've come to the same conclusion. There's holes on the backplate that read 1156, 755, and 1366. Of course I have a 1155 mobo but that shouldn't matter. Regardless of where I place the screws it WON'T LINE UP AND GO IN CORRECTLY.

About to stick with this intel heatsink real talk.

Omiee

Smokey said:
I'm honestly about to just say fuck the h70. why does NOTHING line up correct. I've taken everything off again read the directions for the 6th time....none of the damm holes on the mobo line up with the holes on the back plate of the h70. I've had other people come take a look just to make sure I'm not stupid and they've come to the same conclusion. There's holes on the backplate that read 1156, 755, and 1366. Of course I have a 1155 mobo but that shouldn't matter. Regardless of where I place the screws it WON'T LINE UP AND GO IN CORRECTLY.

About to stick with this intel heatsink real talk.

you have to put them in the 1156 hole's, im glad i waited on getting a h70.
got a good deal on it, but for now im sticking with my hyper 212 untill i get the h60 in 2 weeks.

what is the word on the h60?

Smokey

Omiee said:
you have to put them in the 1156 hole's, im glad i waited on getting a h70.
got a good deal on it, but for now im sticking with my hyper 212 untill i get the h60 in 2 weeks.

what is the word on the h60?

I have. Even without any screws on...just it over the holes....it won't line up. One or 2 may line up but the others will be off. I've twisted and turned it every in every way. Cannot get it to where all 4 holes are lined up and I can see through the other side of the mobo.

1-D_FTW

Wazzim said:
That's just another thing to ground your mobo to the case, just cut it off if it annoys you.

Pretty much. I built a custom case out of wood, omitted the entire I/O shield panel, and have zero grounding/interference issues.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
·feist· said:
I'm not sure how as you shouldn't. Can you take a picture?

I may be mistaken, but this looks like the only place to plug in a card, right? And that alone isn't enough to power it from what the card appears to have available for plugins.

Pykz1.jpg

IMACOMPUTA said:
Anybody interested in buying an i5 750/asus p7p55d-le motherboard?

Uh, yeah. I think so? How much?

IMACOMPUTA

WanderingWind said:
Uh, yeah. I think so? How much?

Taking offers.

I'm going to use the money to upgrade to a sandy bridge i5/mobo combo.

Trying to soften the blow and make a little money for my current stuff.

Patita

Neo Member
Hi guys,
What is the best SSD for 300$? I'm thinking of Intel 510 120gb but for thhat price I can get Intel 320 160gb. Is there any real world difference between Intel 510 and Intel 320? or I should go crucial m4?!

Alucrid

Banned
Holy shit. I'm transferring my brothers files from his laptop to the macbook I gave him and this thing is a piece of shit. So much bloatware, some malware, and a bunch of shitty and useless programs. Norton 360 back up took up 70 GBs of memory. WTF. He also has firefox data going back six months. :|

How do people live like this.

Forkball

Ok so I want to build a gaming PC (well, it will do other stuff), but honestly... I have no idea WTF I should be looking for and all this stuff is kinda intimidating and I've never custom built a PC before. I haven't even had a desktop since like 2004. General questions:

RAM: 4GB DDR3 seems to be the standard, but I'm kinda interested in going ahead and getting 6GB or even 8. Recommendations?

Processor: Intel Quad-Core, but I'm not sure about the differences between the i5s and i7s and what not.

Harddrive: I'm interested in getting a 2TB one, recommendations?

Video card: Honestly I don't even know, recommend me something.

Motherboard: No idea.

Sound card: No idea.

Power supply: No idea.

Budget isn't really an issue, but I want it around $1k. I would appreciate any help.

clav

Alucrid said:
Holy shit. I'm transferring my brothers files from his laptop to the macbook I gave him and this thing is a piece of shit. So much bloatware, some malware, and a bunch of shitty and useless programs. Norton 360 back up took up 70 GBs of memory. WTF. He also has firefox data going back six months. :|

How do people live like this.
People just do somehow.

I can't tolerate it either. See old people's computers.

IMACOMPUTA

IMACOMPUTA said:
Yes. I have it OC'd to 3.2 and am getting really good temps. Haven't tried going higher than that, and I'm using a CM212 for cooling.

It's been running great.

Anyone (even if uninterested) know what i might be able to get for a used i5 750/asus p7p55d-le combo?

seeds19

Banned
Well, i ordered my 2 news hdd's, ocz vertex sata 2 60 gb for O.S, and samsung spinpoint f3 1tb for steam folder and other games, my actual hdd's are shitty, write and read speeds are very low, i hope this is a "big upgrade".

With this purchase i'm done with my pc upgrade:
Asus crosshair 4 formula.
AMD phenom 2 x6 1090T.
MSI twin frozzer 2 gtx560ti.
8gb ram ddr3 1333 cl9.
Nox apex 600 w modular.
OCZ vertex sata 2 60gb.
Samsung spinpoint f3 1tb.
nzxt phantom case.

I hope with this build i'm having a pc for 2 years of gaming xD.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Guys I have an e8600 processor and and I'm thinking of getting the 2500k sandy bridge with an SSD. A part of me feels like this is kind of a waste because my E8600 still runs pretty much everything at 60 frames except for a few bad ports or super demanding games. The other part of me is really itching for an upgrade... Give me your opinions please, I checked around and believe it or not the E8600 is a still a lot more expensive than the 2500k!

TheExodu5

Banned
Patita said:
Hi guys,
What is the best SSD for 300$? I'm thinking of Intel 510 120gb but for thhat price I can get Intel 320 160gb. Is there any real world difference between Intel 510 and Intel 320? or I should go crucial m4?!
I'd go with the 320. Real world impact is fairly negligible. Going with a 510 or a Vertex 3, you might see games load a bit faster, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom