• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Hazaro said:
3 pin connectors can go on the 4 pin ones.

Fill out the list in the OP for price, what you want, what you have, etc.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes)

Well, fine.

Your Current Specs: C2D 1.86 / 3GB DDR2 / Intel D946GZIS / HIS 4670
Budget: $400-$500 + Peru(South America)
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2
Are reusing any parts?: Monitor, CD-Rom drive, not interested in buying a blu-ray drive.
When will you build?: It doesn't matter.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe, lolz.

Like I said, I'm looking on info on a midrange PC. Just an i5, a mobo for it and a 6850. Thanks.

Smokey said:
This guy here :

AP181s? Sort of lost me here. Also here is the two fans of the H70 placed in the Y splitter that came with it :

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0212.jpg

You saying I shouldn't use this?

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0197.jpg

came with the case. These connectors only have 2 pins in them though ?I'm assuming I'm supposed to plug the three 3 pin connectors into this...which plugs into

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz227/dbswisha/IMAG0198.jpg

? maybe?

I dunno fuck
Getting confused now :(
AP181s are the three 180mm fans at the base of your FT02.

You can use the y-splitter on the H70 fans and have both running off the CPU header. You won't get dedicated RPM readings for both fans, but they'll be spinning at about the same RPM, anyway.

I was saying that I wouldn't use a 3-pin to dual 3-pin y-splitter (fan heads on both ends) for the AP181s. Connect the three of them to that 3-way splitter, run the large white molex end into one of your PSU's free molex connectors to power all three intake fans. From there, control their speed using the switches up top:

Silverstone_FT02_Fan_Controller.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
2 roads:
1) 2400 ($190) + H67 board ($90) (Turbo to 3.4 Ghz)
2) 2500K ($220) + P67 board ($130) (Overclock to 4.2Ghz)
+6850 ($160)
+4GB DDR3 ($45)

A 3.4 i5 should do well enough for most Dolphin games, but you might need some extra power for some game down the line. With prices being what they are where you live, it is up to you. A 4Ghz i5 is absolutely no slouch though.

P67:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230

H67:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130579

Hey all, first post in this thread. Hoping someone can help me out and future proof my system as much as possible. This is my first PC build so I'm still a bit new at this.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: MacBook Pro, lol
Budget: $700-$1000 + United States
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Hopefully by the end of the week.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between an i5 2500k and a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. Which is better for the price? And since I need to buy a mobo that's compatible, which will allow me more flexibility in future upgrades? An AM3+ mobo for when Bulldozer hits or the Intel mobo for when Ivy Bridge hits?

Lastly, I plan on using a COOLER MASTER HAF 912 case. If I buy a Radeon HD 6950, will that fit inside okay? What about if I decide to crossfire later on? Will two fit inside that case? I'm not sure where or how to check whether the GPU (or multiple GPUs) fits inside the case.

Thanks again - you guys are awesome. Been lurking in this thread for quite some time and I'm excited to finally take the plunge into PC gaming. It's been too long.

Omiee

claviertekky said:
Post your temperatures (i.e. CPU, GPU).

Could be your CPU is underclocking itself to avoid frying.

It could also be some sort of program (i.e. spyware) chewing up CPU cycles.

I run on a philosophy that I use something until it breaks. Then I do a full upgrade for the CPU+Motherboard.

Others run on a one year or two year cycle.

It all depends how much money you are willing to spend.

When watching movies its between 38 and 35 on all core's

i was monitoring the temps when i was watching the movie and they did not go over 35 to 36 celcius when i was watching the movie and it freezed.
what other reasons could it have, also my cpu is mostly underclocked to 1,6 when watching the movie when i check it.
i have a 2500k.
but this is not only video watching, the performance of my video cards has seen a dip as well.
their temps never go over 80 when playing a game load.
and idle the first one is around 36 the top one is around 48 to 50 because it has little room.

Smokey

·feist· said:
AP181s are the three 180mm fans at the base of your FT02.

You can use the y-splitter on the H70 fans and have both running off the CPU header. You won't get dedicated RPM readings for both fans, but they'll be spinning at about the same RPM, anyway.

I was saying that I wouldn't use a 3-pin to dual 3-pin y-splitter (fan heads on both ends) for the AP181s. Connect the three of them to that 3-way splitter, run the large white molex end into one of your PSU's free molex connectors to power all three intake fans. From there, control their speed using the switches up top:

Silverstone_FT02_Fan_Controller.png

Ok..and just to be clear...I won't blow something up plugging the 3-pin into the 4-pin CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1 connectors?

Thanks for the help

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Smokey said:
Ok..and just to be clear...I won't blow something up plugging the 3-pin into the 4-pin CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1 connectors?

Thanks for the help
4th is for fan control. It is not needed.
DarkChronic said:
Hey all, first post in this thread. Hoping someone can help me out and future proof my system as much as possible. This is my first PC build so I'm still a bit new at this.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: MacBook Pro, lol
Budget: $700-$1000 + United States
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Deus Ex
Are reusing any parts?: No
When will you build?: Hopefully by the end of the week.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not.

I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between an i5 2500k and a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. Which is better for the price? And since I need to buy a mobo that's compatible, which will allow me more flexibility in future upgrades? An AM3+ mobo for when Bulldozer hits or the Intel mobo for when Ivy Bridge hits?

Lastly, I plan on using a COOLER MASTER HAF 912 case. If I buy a Radeon HD 6950, will that fit inside okay? What about if I decide to crossfire later on? Will two fit inside that case? I'm not sure where or how to check whether the GPU (or multiple GPUs) fits inside the case.

Thanks again - you guys are awesome. Been lurking in this thread for quite some time and I'm excited to finally take the plunge into PC gaming. It's been too long.
i5
Both will fit (You might need to remove the HDD bay), if possible try to find a model that is reference (and thus unlockable into a 6970). 570 is solid also.
1k build in OP
Upgrade path for AMD and Intel both a toss up.

*Make sure it has power connectors on the top and not the back too.
http://www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/201012/radeon_hd_6970_01.jpg

Smokey

Meant to say CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1. Going to attempt the gtx 580 now, should be interesting. Despite the H70 being a bitch to me, I will admit it does look sweet over the CPU.

clav

Omiee said:
When watching movies its between 38 and 35 on all core's

i was monitoring the temps when i was watching the movie and they did not go over 35 to 36 celcius when i was watching the movie and it freezed.
what other reasons could it have, also my cpu is mostly underclocked to 1,6 when watching the movie when i check it.
i have a 2500k.
but this is not only video watching, the performance of my video cards has seen a dip as well.
their temps never go over 80 when playing a game load.
and idle the first one is around 36 the top one is around 48 to 50 because it has little room.
You'll need to give us the whole story what's going on here. Something in terms of configuration does not sound right.

What is your setup?

OS? Media Player? Codecs installed? Drivers installed? Third party modifications (i.e. desktop interface lifts)?

Also why did you buy a 2500K if you don't plan on overclocking it? 1.6 GHz underclocked?

clav

Hazaro said:
1.6 since it shouldn't need to ramp up to 3.4 for movie playback.
I thought with overclocks that you need to turn off any power saving features that will cause the CPU to underclock to preserve stability (i.e. Intel SpeedStep).

Smokey said:
Meant to say CPU_FAN and CHA_FAN1. Going to attempt the gtx 580 now, should be interesting. Despite the H70 being a bitch to me, I will admit it does look sweet over the CPU.
Dude it's all plug and click. Other than a heatsink install there's not much to it. It'll take max 60 seconds.

Omiee

claviertekky said:
You'll need to give us the whole story what's going on here. Something in terms of configuration does not sound right.

What is your setup?

OS? Media Player? Codecs installed? Drivers installed? Third party modifications (i.e. desktop interface lifts)?

Also why did you buy a 2500K if you don't plan on overclocking it? 1.6 GHz underclocked?

i am over clocking, but not with the voltage and stuff, there is this bios thing on my asus motherboard.
it gives you the option of power saving, normal or overclock.
so it overclocks to 4.5 when im in a game or its load.
Os is windows 7 ultimate installed on a vertex 2, i just have vlc media player and just updated it today without any other stuff installed for it.
i have the latest amd driver.
no third party modifications.
The freezing im talking about occurs when just watching the movie without browser or what so ever open.

Smokey

The Teachinator said:
Dude it's all plug and click. Other than a heatsink install there's not much to it. It'll take max 60 seconds.

See my posts a few up. Keep in mind this cost me almost $2,500 so naturally....I'm a little worried about everything.

Oh and it is my first build.

clav

Omiee said:
i am over clocking, but not with the voltage and stuff, there is this bios thing on my asus motherboard.
it gives you the option of power saving, normal or overclock.
so it overclocks to 4.5 when im in a game or its load.
Os is windows 7 ultimate installed on a vertex 2, i just have vlc media player and just updated it today without any other stuff installed for it.
i have the latest amd driver.
no third party modifications.
The freezing im talking about occurs when just watching the movie without browser or what so ever open.
Oh, so you have some sort of automatic utility that does it. You didn't tinker with the FSB, memory timings, or anything yourself? Hmm. BIOS/UEFI is updated, right? I'm not familiar with the newer setups. All I know is when I do overclocks, I go to a forum that talks about people overclocking with the same motherboard + cpu and see what they say about it. Usually, it's not automatic as you do have to tinker with numbers.

What are your overclocking now? Are any additional features turned on for the CPU? What speed is your memory running? You usually can grab these stats from screen grabs of CPU-Z.

Are you watching the movie off via SATA (internal) or USB (2.0 or 3.0 external)?

Is this problem happening when you're skipping around the movie or just playing it from start to finish?

Omiee

claviertekky said:
Oh, so you have some sort of automatic utility that does it. You didn't tinker with the FSB, memory timings, or anything yourself? Hmm. BIOS/UEFI is updated, right?

Are you watching the movie off via SATA (internal) or USB (2.0 or 3.0 external)?

Is this problem happening when you're skipping around the movie or just playing it from start to finish?

no i never tinkered with any memory timings or other stuff

im watching it through sata, and its a samsung 5200 rpm disk, could that be the reason?
but that would not explain the recent dip in performance in gaming since those games are installed on my 7200rpm disk, and my crossfire setup should be power full enough to run nba 2k11.

As to the video, it only occurs when im playing from the start, most of the time its oke but every 10 min or 8 min or so i get this freeze for 2 seconds and the video gets this foggy look to it and than it goes back to normal.
over the course of a 45 min video it occurs 4 or 6 times.

clav

Omiee said:
no i never tinkered with any memory timings or other stuff

im watching it through sata, and its a samsung 5200 rpm disk, could that be the reason?
but that would not explain the recent dip in performance in gaming since those games are installed on my 7200rpm disk, and my crossfire setup should be power full enough to run nba 2k11.

As to the video, it only occurs when im playing from the start, most of the time its oke but every 10 min or 8 min or so i get this freeze for 2 seconds and the video gets this foggy look to it and than it goes back to normal.
over the course of a 45 min video it occurs 4 or 6 times.
No. It's internally, so we can count that out, and yes, it doesn't explain the dip in gaming performance. I think it's something to do with your system stability.

Which ASUS model motherboard is this?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
claviertekky said:
I thought with overclocks that you need to turn off any power saving features that will cause the CPU to underclock to preserve stability (i.e. Intel SpeedStep).
On the newer P67 + K setups most people leave the throttle/speedstep on since:
1) Most mobo makers said to
2) It works really well
3) You aren't really overclocking, you are boosting the Turbo speed from 3.4 -> 4.4

The auto functions have really come a long way, but I wouldn't use them personally. Having a board auto OC to 4.5Ghz (the edge of most manual clocks) is something I wouldn't do.
I'd be too hesitant about the voltage adjustments it makes.
i just have vlc media player
Don't use VLC. Try Media Player Classic / CoreAVC

clav

Omiee said:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67_EVO/

Also i checked with 1080P footage, with that its worse, its all the time with action scene's
What if you revert to a normal nonoverclocked standpoint? Does it resolve this?

Hazaro said:
On the newer P67 + K setups most people leave the throttle/speedstep on since:
1) Most mobo makers said to
2) It works really well
3) You aren't really overclocking, you are boosting the Turbo speed from 3.4 -> 4.4

The auto functions have really come a long way, but I wouldn't use them personally. Having a board auto OC to 4.5Ghz (the edge of most manual clocks) is something I wouldn't do.
I'd be too hesitant about the voltage adjustments it makes.

Ah I see. I'll take your word for it.

Yeah, I wouldn't use the auto overclocking features either.

Omiee

claviertekky said:
What if you revert to a normal non'overclocked standpoint? Does it resolve this?

ill try now, will post after.

edit: no difference what so ever, it now only clocks to 3.4 since i put it on standard mode.
but there is no difference the video is still choppy from time to time and on 1080p its a lot more noticable.

what sort of things can i do to increase systeme stability.
or programme's i can use.
also what could the reason be for this, and trouble testing i can do?

Coldsnap

Is it possible to quantify how faster my i5 2500k GTX 560 PC is compared to my xbox 360? Sorta a silly question but it's strange owning a piece of technology that is better than my xbox 360...

Thanks for all the help! Will be sure to take some pictures of my finished rig.

Very nervous about putting it all together, but very excited, as well.

Smokey said:
See my posts a few up. Keep in mind this cost me almost $2,500 so naturally....I'm a little worried about everything.

Oh and it is my first build.
Just finished my first as well. You'll be fine just dont miss any power hookups like I did!! Took me an hour to figure out I didn't connect the 12 volt...haha

Omiee

The Teachinator said:
Just finished my first as well. You'll be fine just dont miss any power hookups like I did!! Took me an hour to figure out I didn't connect the 12 volt...haha

oh man i now that hahaha, that was exactly what i wanted to tell him.
you tend to forget that cable sometimes.
its the 8pin at the top right?

clav

Omiee said:
ill try now, will post after.

edit: no difference what so ever, it now only clocks to 3.4 since i put it on standard mode.
but there is no difference the video is still choppy from time to time and on 1080p its a lot more noticable.

what sort of things can i do to increase systeme stability.
or programme's i can use.
also what could the reason be for this, and trouble testing i can do?
Well, so the overclock didn't affect anything then so we can count system stability out.

At this point, I would try Hazaro's suggestion regarding videos and see if that makes a difference.

Hazaro said:

What's your CPU usage when your videos play currently (%)?

Omiee

claviertekky said:
Well, so the overclock didn't affect anything then so we can count system stability out.

At this point, I would try Hazaro's suggestion regarding videos and see if that makes a difference.

What's your CPU usage when your videos play currently (%)?

where can i see that ?

so i tried media player classic home cinema since it uses gpu or what ever and i have no problem with that even when im watching 1080p on action sequences.

clav

Omiee said:
where can i see that ?
Ctrl Shift Esc

Alternatively, right click the task bar and select "Start Task Manager."

Look in the performance tab.

Also, on idling, are there any programs chewing CPU usage under the Processes tab? Press the CPU column and make sure the down arrow is appearing.

Before I forget, is your NBA 2K11 game also on your 5400 RPM drive? The hard drive might be the culprit. We can confirm this if you try moving a movie to your ssd and playing it from there.

Omiee

Saren is Bad said:
Built yesterday
2ekj0qx.jpg

10fqsdv.jpg

swsqoz.jpg

rvydua.png

Just played Crysis for about 2 hours, only got up to 40C CPU temps, so I think I'm going to overclock soon.

I think i came, i love that case so fucking much.
im thinking of building a pc for the office, if i do thats going to be the case i will be using.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it. Was my first build so it took a while but damn it was fun.

Also, the LED fan lights are white, dunno why they show up as blue. IMO, the white lights with white case looks very nice.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ashhong said:
the blue fans are gorgeous. i normally disable the lights and stuff in my cases now but i would leave those on.
Those should be white. Camera is probably more sensitive since the LED's are actually super light blue.

*Yeah

Varna

The wire management looks amazing. Makes me want to clean mine up... I don't really do anything outside of making sure they are not in front of an fans.

Varna said:
The wire management looks amazing. Makes me want to clean mine up... I don't really do anything outside of making sure they are not in front of an fans.
Lol, that's mostly due to the case it has grommets and holes everywhere.

TheExodu5

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Is it possible to quantify how faster my i5 2500k GTX 560 PC is compared to my xbox 360? Sorta a silly question but it's strange owning a piece of technology that is better than my xbox 360...

Quick and dirty comparison:

Your GTX 560 Ti benches Resident Evil 5 with 162fps @ 1080p (possibly with 4x AA? doesn't say) according to http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3796/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_560_ti_1gb_soc_video_card/index6.html. That's 5.4x the framerate, with 2.25 times the pixels.

So...in the vicinity of 12 times faster. ;)

Now, not all ports are as well optimized as RE5, but even counting poor ports, your hardware will bruteforce graphical settings and performance way beyond what a 360 can achieve.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I know this doesn't fall under the hardware category, but is Crysis still the benchmark for awesome visuals? I need something to test out my new stuff and my knowledge is old.

Coldsnap

TheExodu5 said:
Quick and dirty comparison:

Your GTX 560 Ti benches Resident Evil 5 with 162fps @ 1080p (possibly with 4x AA? doesn't say) according to http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3796/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_560_ti_1gb_soc_video_card/index6.html. That's 5.4x the framerate, with 2.25 times the pixels.

So...in the vicinity of 12 times faster. ;)

Now, not all ports are as well optimized as RE5, but even counting poor ports, your hardware will bruteforce graphical settings and performance way beyond what a 360 can achieve.

Man that's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom