• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily Chu

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
I went from a 9800gt to a gtx 460 for about the price that I originally paid for the 9800, been a great step up

is there much of a difference between the 1GB or 768MB versions ?

using a PHII X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz
also coming from a 8800GT

native res @ 1920x1080

Smokey

So I took everything apart and sort of started over. Had to run to Home Depot and get more adhesive tape for the backplate of the H70 since it was pretty much dry and not sticking anymore from all of the removing/re applying I was doing. Looks like the screws on the H70 backplate were in the holes correct but the orientation of the screws may have been wrong. I fixed that and finally got it in right. Re installed the retention ring of the H70 above the cpu and screwed it into the backplate. Took out the I/O backplate, put it back in and inserted the motherboard and finally got the fucker screwed in and everything lined up.

I hope I didn't fuck anything up on the mobo with all of the moving and shit to try and get it to sit in the case correctly :/

I will be a stronger man when I am finished with this.

Emily Chu said:

native res @ 1920x1080
Most games I play run fine at 1080p, but there are still a couple that would benefit from 1gb, mine only has 768mb. Would say go for a gig if you can afford it, would give you more headroom at least

TheExodu5

Banned
Emily Chu said:

native res @ 1920x1080
Go with the 1GB model. Just make sure it's not the SE.

Wazzim

Banned
Cardigan said:
About to buy parts for my post-graduation computer build. Is the 6950 2gb still a good value for its price?
Europe or US? If Europe, it's really good value for the price sitting around that of the GTX560. I don't know about US prices, GTX570 might be close to the 6950 there.

ZZMitch said:
Excuse my ignorance, but does physx work on ati graphics cards or is it nvidia only??
Nvidea only but I think you can also let your CPU do it.

Cardigan

Wazzim said:
Europe or US? If Europe, it's really good value for the price sitting around that of the GTX560. I don't know about US prices, GTX570 might be close to the 6950 there.

US. I think the 570 is a little out of my price range, so I'm going to go with the 6950.

ZZMitch

Wazzim said:

Ok thanks, is there a big difference when physx is on? I need to find a comparison video or something I guess!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Any help would be greatly appreciated here. I'm sitting on a 6950 card that I really, really want to use. Am I just screwed with my current hardware or is there some way to plug it in with an extra cable or what?

Pykz1.jpg

WanderingWind said:
Any help would be greatly appreciated here. I'm sitting on a 6950 card that I really, really want to use. Am I just screwed with my current hardware or is there some way to plug it in with an extra cable or what?

Pykz1.jpg
you can use a couple molex to pci express power adapters
molex-to-pci-express-2.jpg

and a molex splitter if you need more of them
molex_splitter.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
Cardigan said:
US. I think the 570 is a little out of my price range, so I'm going to go with the 6950.
I would too, the 6950 is easily on par with 570 performance after you flash it.

ZZMitch said:
Ok thanks, is there a big difference when physx is on? I need to find a comparison video or something I guess!
It's pretty much a little gimmick that you won't really notice outside of Mirror's Edge.

WanderingWind

Mr Nightman said:
Awesomeness

Okay, the card came with two of those first cables. I'm assuming both need to be plugged into the card, leaving 4 open plugs. Does only one of each need plugging in, IE I would just need the splitter to power it?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wazzim said:
It's pretty much a little gimmick that you won't really notice outside of Mirror's Edge.

physx is amazing when utlililzed well, sadly that's too rare to warrant extra hardware imo

WanderingWind said:
Okay, the card came with two of those first cables. I'm assuming both need to be plugged into the card, leaving 4 open plugs. Does only one of each need plugging in, IE I would just need the splitter to power it?
you will need both black six pin plugs inserted into the video card, and all four white 4 pin plugs need to be plugged in as well

ZZMitch

Corky said:
physx is amazing when utlililzed well, sadly that's too rare to warrant extra hardware imo
Yeah that is what I thought. I will look into doing cpu based physx but I am guessing it will not be worth it.

WanderingWind

Mr Nightman said:
you will need both black six pin plugs inserted into the video card, and all four white 4 pin plugs need to be plugged in as well

That's what I was afraid of. I only have one loose cable in the case, so I'm SOL. Thanks for the help though.

scogoth

Omiee said:
you have to put them in the 1156 hole's, im glad i waited on getting a h70.
got a good deal on it, but for now im sticking with my hyper 212 untill i get the h60 in 2 weeks.

what is the word on the h60?

Get an air cooler. Less complicated, cheaper and same or better performance.

WanderingWind said:
That's what I was afraid of. I only have one loose cable in the case, so I'm SOL. Thanks for the help though.
you could always upgrade your power supply for about 40-50 bucks, and swapping them is easy as pie

Gvaz

Banned
Mr Nightman said:
you could always upgrade your power supply for about 40-50 bucks, and swapping them is easy as pie
Don't skimp on a power supply. Get a corsair or something similar. If the PSU blows your whole system goes.

WanderingWind

Gvaz said:
Don't skimp on a power supply. Get a corsair or something similar. If the PSU blows your whole system goes.

Err, on second thought, it came out easy enough. I'm guessing 750W is more than enough for my usage?

WanderingWind said:
I could give that a shot. Looks...welded into my case though?
Looking at the pic you posted, it seems that you have an mATX OEM board, inside of a case that likely has passive vents in the left side panel, an 80mm or 92mm exhaust fan on the back, and possibly, no front intake fan. Would that be correct?

Also, you have a Fry's, but do you live near a Micro Center?

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

scogoth said:
Get an air cooler. Less complicated, cheaper and same or better performance.
The popularity of Corsair's AIO water cooling systems is a testament to the company's marketing, and strength of their brand. I keep saying it, but how else can you explain people's willingness to consistently over pay for those products? Remember how laughably over-priced the A50 and A70 were when they debuted? A few price drops later for each, and both of those air coolers are finally price competitive, unlike the Hydro series.

The H50, H60 and H70 are best suited to smaller enclosures where you may only be able to fit a 92mm HSF, or low profile HSF.

WanderingWind

·feist· said:
Looking at the pic you posted, it seems that you have an mATX OEM board, inside of a case that likely has passive vents in the left side panel, an 80mm or 92mm exhaust fan on the back, and possibly, no front intake fan. Would that be correct?

Also, you have a Fry's, but do you live near a Micro Center?

http://www.microcenter.com/at_the_stores/index.html

The popularity of Corsair's AIO water cooling systems is a testament to the company's marketing, and strength of their brand. I keep saying it, but how else can you explain people's willingness to consistently over pay for those products? Remember how laughably over-priced the A50 and A70 were when they debuted? A few price drops later for each, and both of those air coolers are finally price competitive, unlike the Hydro series.

The H50, H60 and H70 are best suited to smaller enclosures where you may only be able to fit a 92mm HSF, or low profile HSF.
You described my case perfectly, and yeah, the Fry's and Microcenter are practically next door. Why? What's so special about Microcenter?

IMACOMPUTA

ZZMitch said:
Yeah that is what I thought. I will look into doing cpu based physx but I am guessing it will not be worth it.

It's possible to have an AMD graphics card and a nvidia card for just physx. It's not too complicated, and you really don't need anything great to really benefit. I bought a 220GTS for like 29.99 from newegg. It doesn't even have a fan, just a heatsink and i use it for physx alongside my amd 5850.

I played through mafia 2 with full physx and it was amazing. Really adds a lot in that game, imo.
Wish it was used more, though.

Omiee

What could be a reason for games to worse than normal. Normally i could play nba 2k11 and other games with locked 60fps, now it drops sometimes to 50 or so and jumps back to 60.

I also suddenly have choppy video, not only with 1080p video but also with low res video,

where it from time to time it freezes but the sounds continues only for the image to restore 1 or 2 second later.

What could be a reason for this?

Reposted because it keeps happening every minute or so when watching movies via vlc media player.

WanderingWind said:
You described my case perfectly, and yeah, the Fry's and Microcenter are practically next door. Why? What's so special about Microcenter?
Micro Center is the land of milk and honey when it comes to Intel CPU prices. They also have great deals on cases, HSFs and some other accessories from time to time. They rarely, if ever, have anything worthwhile on GPUs, ram, and PSUs that you can't find elsewhere for equal or less.

AMD CPU + Motherboard Bundles
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

$180 - Intel Core i5 2500K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

$280 - Intel Core i7 2600K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354587

Aside from any great deals you may come across at Fry's, I wouldn't rush that PSU purchase just yet. Take your time to find a good 500-600/650W unit, and then compare prices between Fry's, MC, Newegg, Amazon, etc.
700W or higher really isn't needed if you aren't running multiple CPUs and/or GPUs. Also, don't fall for any of those 750W for $40 type deals as the vast majority of them are trash.

You should be looking to get a quality PSU (doesn't have to have an exorbitant price) that can carry forward to your next PC upgrade. I doubt that your motherboard has much in the way of overclocking (even if it did, the power delivery is lacking), and your case isn't well suited to higher end GPUs. You can pick up a good PSU just to try out the 6950, but you really should start planning to get a new CPU, board, memory and case at some point. AMD's new CPUs will be out in roughly four weeks, so you'll see how they stack up to your current chip, and Intel's s-1155 offerings. Again, if the 6950 + old components give you good enough performance at your resolution, then you can put off a new build for a while longer. Either way, you really should have preliminary parts in mind for when you move on.

ZZMitch

IMACOMPUTA said:
It's possible to have an AMD graphics card and a nvidia card for just physx. It's not too complicated, and you really don't need anything great to really benefit. I bought a 220GTS for like 29.99 from newegg. It doesn't even have a fan, just a heatsink and i use it for physx alongside my amd 5850.

I played through mafia 2 with full physx and it was amazing. Really adds a lot in that game, imo.
Wish it was used more, though.

I will consider it, it just spent like 300 bucks on my latest graphics card though! :p

I do have my GTX 460, but it seems like overkill for this. Maybe I will sell it and buy a cheap card like you said if I am interested.

WanderingWind

·feist· said:
Micro Center is the land of milk and honey when it comes to Intel CPU prices. They also have great deals on cases, HSFs and some other accessories from time to time. They rarely, if ever, have anything worthwhile on GPUs, ram, and PSUs that you can't find elsewhere for equal or less.

AMD CPU + Motherboard Bundles
http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html

$180 - Intel Core i5 2500K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

$280 - Intel Core i7 2600K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354587

Aside from any great deals you may come across at Fry's, I wouldn't rush that PSU purchase just yet. Take your time to find a good 500-600/650W unit, and then compare prices between Fry's, MC, Newegg, Amazon, etc.
700W or higher really isn't needed if you aren't running multiple CPUs and/or GPUs. Also, don't fall for any of those 750W for $40 type deals as the vast majority of them are trash.

You should be looking to get a quality PSU (doesn't have to have an exorbitant price) that can carry forward to your next PC upgrade. I doubt that your motherboard has much in the way of overclocking (even if it did, the power delivery is lacking), and your case isn't well suited to higher end GPUs. You can pick up a good PSU just to try out the 6950, but you really should start planning to get a new CPU, board, memory and case at some point. AMD's new CPUs will be out in roughly four weeks, so you'll see how they stack up to your current chip, and Intel's s-1155 offerings. Again, if the 6950 + old components give you good enough performance at your resolution, then you can put off a new build for a while longer. Either way, you really should have preliminary parts in mind for when you move on.

Fry's had a bitchin' sale on on an Antec 750. I hope it doesn't fall under the "trash" category, as I got this reply after purchase...

Thanks for the heads up on the chip+mobo combos at Micro Center. Putting those two together was the next hurdle to get over. I am slowly putting together a new PC.

Which model was it?

"Bitchin' sale" sounds like you may have picked up an Antec EarthWatts EA750, or first gen TruePower, for ~$60-80, possibly with a rebate.

Patita

Neo Member
TheExodu5 said:
I'd go with the 320. Real world impact is fairly negligible. Going with a 510 or a Vertex 3, you might see games load a bit faster, but that's about it.

Thanks man. Intel 320 it is.

WanderingWind

·feist· said:
Which model was it?

"Bitchin' sale" sounds like you may have picked up an Antec EarthWatts EA750, or first gen TruePower, for ~$60-80, possibly with a rebate.

o_O

Uh-oh.

...so, want to help me avoid further mistakes and help me pick out the components to buy next week? Clearly, PC building is not my language, and yes, I've read the OP. There is just so much damn info on what parts are good/bad/overkill/etc.

Since I now have what I assume is a shitty PSU and a decent video card, I'm looking for a mobo/CPU/case/RAM.

dwebo

WanderingWind said:
o_O

Uh-oh.

...so, want to help me avoid further mistakes and help me pick out the components to buy next week? Clearly, PC building is not my language, and yes, I've read the OP. There is just so much damn info on what parts are good/bad/overkill/etc.

Since I now have what I assume is a shitty PSU and a decent video card, I'm looking for a mobo/CPU/case/RAM.
I'm sure other people are better suited to give you specific brands, so I'll just repeat what I said earlier - spend some of your budget on a new monitor before upgrading the rest. Using a high end gpu at barely more than 720p is just obscenely wasteful. If you find that on your new monitor games aren't performing as well as you'd like, Then worry about upgrading the rest. Yes, your cpu will probably bottleneck your gpu somewhat, but you can almost always crank up the graphics settings until the bottleneck is on your gpu instead. Also, swapping out a psu isn't very hard, if that's what you're worried about.

Just my 2c.

WanderingWind

dwebo said:
I'm sure other people are better suited to give you specific brands, so I'll just repeat what I said earlier - spend some of your budget on a new monitor before upgrading the rest. Using a high end gpu at barely more than 720p is just obscenely wasteful. If you find that on your new monitor games aren't performing as well as you'd like, Then worry about upgrading the rest. Yes, your cpu will probably bottleneck your gpu somewhat, but you can almost always crank up the graphics settings until the bottleneck is on your gpu instead. Also, swapping out a psu isn't very hard, if that's what you're worried about.

Just my 2c.

Well, my "monitor" is my TV. It's actual resolution is insane, but I keep it at that rez because I'm a bit farther away than chair-to-desk.

WanderingWind said:
o_O

Uh-oh.

The EA750 is a decent unit, so long as you didn't over pay for it. I think some retailers are running deals on them to clear out inventory since the newer EA750 Green is either out, or due soon (improved specs). For a single CPU/GPU non-SFF PC, with a mid-range $70 or lower PSU, I'd be looking at Antec's 550/650W TruPower New, Seasonic's 450-520W models, XFX's 550/650W, and a few other models. For something that's a value-focused model, the EA750 is definitely not trash. Just hope you paid under ~$80, and preferably closer to $70 or less.

With a new build, I'd wait until the 2nd or 3rd week of June. We're almost there. You'll see what AMD has to offer price/performance wise. Retailer's like Fry's and MC usually do combo deals on new chips, or at least a deal on the CPU. You still have the 2500K/2600K MC deal that isn't going anywhere.

The $1,000 OP build is a good starting point, tweak it to your needs and wants. The only thing else you may want to buy at the moment would be an HSF with this in store deal before it ends.
0315397_303198.jpg

$25 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

Only $5 saved off MSRP, but it's better than nothing, and certainly better than the absurd $39.99 + $7.56 shipping that Newegg is currently charging.

Smokey

Question:

I have a 3 pin connector coming from the pump of the H70...and and both fans on the radiator feeding into a Y cable which is also a 3 pin connector. My ASUS P8P67 PRO has:

4 pin CPU_FAN
4 pin CHA_FAN1
3 pin CHA_FAN2
3 pin PWR_FAN1

So the two 3 pin connectors from the H70 need to go in the 3 pin slots. That's fine. However the three huge fans on the bottom of the silverstone ft02 also use 3 pin connectors.

So I have five 3 pin connectors in total....yet I only have 2 available 3 pin slots on my mobo? Unless I am missing something here.

halp?

jett

D-Member
Hey guys, recommend me a mid-range PC. I'm looking something that would power a 6850. I was thinking about an i5, what's a good-not-too-expensive mobo for that cpu?

WanderingWind

·feist· said:
The EA750 is a decent unit, so long as you didn't over pay for it. I think some retailers are running deals on them to clear out inventory since the newer EA750 Green is either out, or due soon (improved specs). For a single CPU/GPU non-SFF PC, with a mid-range $70 or lower PSU, I'd be looking at Antec's 550/650W TruPower New, Seasonic's 450-520W models, XFX's 550/650W, and a few other models. For something that's a value-focused model, the EA750 is definitely not trash. Just hope you paid under ~$80, and preferably closer to $70 or less.

With a new build, I'd wait until the 2nd or 3rd week of June. We're almost there. You'll see what AMD has to offer price/performance wise. Retailer's like Fry's and MC usually do combo deals on new chips, or at least a deal on the CPU. You still have the 2500K/2600K MC deal that isn't going anywhere.

The $1,000 OP build is a good starting point, tweak it to your needs and wants. The only thing else you may want to buy at the moment would be an HSF with this in store deal before it ends.
0315397_303198.jpg

$25 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397

Only $5 saved off MSRP, but it's better than nothing, and certainly better than the absurd $39.99 + $7.56 shipping that Newegg is currently charging.

Last question for today...I swear. Say I get that i7 you linked to earlier. What's a really good mobo to use with it? Again, thanks for your help. I just got my PSU and card to play nicely and it's awesome so far!

WanderingWind said:
Last question for today...I swear. Say I get that i7 you linked to earlier. What's a really good mobo to use with it? Again, thanks for your help. I just got my PSU and card to play nicely and it's awesome so far!
No problem. The Asus Pro in the OP is a great board at its price. MSI and Gigabyte also have some models for around $180-210 that are nice. Great overclockers, with good features and quality build.

Smokey said:
Question:

I have a 3 pin connector coming from the pump of the H70...and and both fans on the radiator feeding into a Y cable which is also a 3 pin connector. My ASUS P8P67 PRO has:

4 pin CPU_FAN
4 pin CHA_FAN1
3 pin CHA_FAN2
3 pin PWR_FAN1

So the two 3 pin connectors from the H70 need to go in the 3 pin slots. That's fine. However the three huge fans on the bottom of the silverstone ft02 also use 3 pin connectors.

So I have five 3 pin connectors in total....yet I only have 2 available 3 pin slots on my mobo? Unless I am missing something here.

Help?
Plug the H70 fans into the CPU 4-pins, so that you can control their speed with the UEFI, or while in Windows. Keep in mind, they'll only spin within a limited RPM range, unless you manually change that in UEFI or Windows. The header being 4-pin usually doesn't matter. If your board is finicky, just plug them into the CHA_FAN heads. Plug the pump into PWR_FAN1. You can also use either of the remaining mobo headers, or hook it directly to the PSU.

With the AP181s, your case has a speed control option, so you can plug them directly to the PSU and still control speed easily (you don't really need to monitor their RPM, unless you are afraid of one of them failing later on). Otherwise, use a free mobo head, if any are left. Don't use a Y-splitter to a motherboard header for the AP181s, though.

Excuse me if this is unclear, or jumbled. Apart from the H70 fans, you can essentially plug the rest where you want to, board or PSU directly. Take whatever route is cleanest and causes the least hassle.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Smokey said:
Question:

4 pin CPU_FAN
4 pin CHA_FAN1
3 pin CHA_FAN2
3 pin PWR_FAN1

halp?
3 pin connectors can go on the 4 pin ones.
jett said:
Hey guys, recommend me a mid-range PC. I'm looking something that would power a 6850. I was thinking about an i5, what's a good-not-too-expensive mobo for that cpu?
Fill out the list in the OP for price, what you want, what you have, etc.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU
Budget: Price Range + Country
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later?
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Self Explanatory
Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W)
When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes)

Omiee

Omiee said:
What could be a reason for games to worse than normal. Normally i could play nba 2k11 and other games with locked 60fps, now it drops sometimes to 50 or so and jumps back to 60.

I also suddenly have choppy video, not only with 1080p video but also with low res video,

where it from time to time it freezes but the sounds continues only for the image to restore 1 or 2 second later.

What could be a reason for this?

Reposted because it keeps happening every minute or so when watching movies via vlc media player.

clav

Omiee said:
Post your temperatures (i.e. CPU, GPU).

Could be your CPU is underclocking itself to avoid frying.

It could also be some sort of program (i.e. spyware) chewing up CPU cycles.

loganclaws said:
Guys I have an e8600 processor and and I'm thinking of getting the 2500k sandy bridge with an SSD. A part of me feels like this is kind of a waste because my E8600 still runs pretty much everything at 60 frames except for a few bad ports or super demanding games. The other part of me is really itching for an upgrade... Give me your opinions please, I checked around and believe it or not the E8600 is a still a lot more expensive than the 2500k!

I run on a philosophy that I use something until it breaks. Then I do a full upgrade for the CPU+Motherboard.

Others run on a one year or two year cycle.

It all depends how much money you are willing to spend.

Smokey

·feist· said:
No problem. The Asus Pro in the OP is a great board at its price. MSI and Gigabyte also have some models for around $180-210 that are nice. Great overclockers, with good features and quality build.

Plug the H70 fans into the CPU 4-pins, so that you can control their speed with the UEFI, or while in Windows. Keep in mind, they'll only spin within a limited RPM range, unless you manually change that in UEFI or Windows. The header being 4-pin usually doesn't matter. If your board is finicky, just plug them into the CHA_FAN heads. Plug the pump into PWR_FAN1. You can also use either of the remaining mobo headers, or hook it directly to the PSU.

With the AP181s, your case has a speed control option, so you can plug them directly to the PSU and still control speed easily (you don't really need to monitor their RPM, unless you are afraid of one of them failing later on). Otherwise, use a free mobo head, if any are left. Don't use a Y-splitter to a motherboard header for the AP181s, though.

Excuse me if this is unclear, or jumbled. Apart from the H70 fans, you can essentially plug the rest where you want to, board or PSU directly. Take whatever route is cleanest and causes the least hassle.

This guy here :

AP181s? Sort of lost me here. Also here is the two fans of the H70 placed in the Y splitter that came with it :

IMAG0212.jpg

You saying I shouldn't use this?

IMAG0197.jpg

came with the case. These connectors only have 2 pins in them though ?I'm assuming I'm supposed to plug the three 3 pin connectors into this...which plugs into

IMAG0198.jpg

? maybe?

I dunno fuck
Getting confused now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom