• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

AliceInJam said:
Hey guys, need some help. I am using the witcher 2 as an excuse to finally get into pc gaming, but I am not sure on whether to get a laptop or a desktop. The laptop that I was pretty set on ordering was this one..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220921
But now I am not sure because I feel like if I am willing to spend that much on a laptop I think I could get something much more powerful in a desktop. The only think holding me back is the complexity of building a custom desktop. With the laptop I order it and it's good to go. Since this would be my very first "actual" gaming pc I really want to do it right.

thanks guys!
I wouldn't get a gaming laptop honestly. The performance for the dollar compared to desktop parts is wide. I went down the laptop road before and...meh

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Cheech said:
Not a problem. Unless you try using the same key within weeks of each other, you're fine. I'm pretty sure it resets after 6 months or so.

Hmm that might be a problem then, I installed my OS sometime late april ( i.e couple of weeks ago ) and I might buy an SSD well before 6 months :(

Cheech

Corky said:
Hmm that might be a problem then, I installed my OS sometime late april ( i.e couple of weeks ago ) and I might buy an SSD well before 6 months :(

That was just a guess on my part. I've only had a problem with Windows activating once, and that is when a hard drive I was installing it on died literally an hour after I activated it. Bought a new hard drive, then tried activating Windows again after reinstalling, and it cockblocked me. If you call Microsoft and explain what happened it's generally not a problem, though.

Smokey said:
I wouldn't get a gaming laptop honestly. The performance for the dollar compared to desktop parts is wide. I went down the laptop road before and...meh

Agreed. I love my little Alienware m11x, but for serious gaming I use my whole hog PC. Unless you are a casual/infrequent gamer who is just playing games for 15 minutes a day, I would not mess with a gaming laptop. The bang for the buck is just not there.

Sanjay

Corky said:
Hmm

What do I do when it's time to upgrade to an SSD, with regards to OS? I own one student copy of W7 prof that is currently installed on my spinpoint HDD, can I just use the same key on my next harddrive?

Could image clone your current HD on to the SSD.

vexvegaz

Corky said:
Hmm

What do I do when it's time to upgrade to an SSD, with regards to OS? I own one student copy of W7 prof that is currently installed on my spinpoint HDD, can I just use the same key on my next harddrive?

as long as its not a OEM version of windows 7 and you install in only on 1 pc, you should have no problems. the worst case scenario, you would need to call MS to and clear up any license key issues.

Dosia

So when I boot up my comp what should my idle temps be so I can verify I installed the 212 correctly. I have an i5 2500k no OC yet.

My budget does include a monitor. I do have a 1080p 50 inch Panasonic plasma though.....so do you think a monitor is really necessary? I was not quite sure how it would look on there. If I didn't have to buy a monitor now that would mean $1500 for just the pc itself! What do you think?

vexvegaz

·feist· said:
Based on what, exactly?

nothing concrete, just looking at the design..the corsairs are much roomier than the silverstone and allows for better cable management due to placement of the grommets. and if you use any type of multi-gpu card config, it looks like the silverstone can create a hot pocket between the gfx card.

edit: your post got me a bit curious and did some reading. it seems that you guys may be right about the FT02 being the best air cooling case available. having said that, I would still prefer a corsair 700D / 800D over the silverstone.

Smokey said:

Alright so I am off the idea of a gaming laptop, and my budeget is still $1,500. I do not think I will need a monitor since I have a 1080p Panasonic plasma that I could use. If I go with the $900/$1000 build in the OP what could I swap out with the extra $500 that I have?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dosia said:
So when I boot up my comp what should my idle temps be so I can verify I installed the 212 correctly. I have an i5 2500k no OC yet.
30-40C. Probably around 33C
Sanjay said:
Could image clone your current HD on to the SSD.
I heard that this is far from optimal.

DeVeAn

Corky said:
The difference between a 560 ti and a 570 stock is an overclock away, so no I wouldn't say that a 100$ difference would be worth it. Also running shit at 1080p and 60fps isn't guaranteed nowadays.

We got gaffers with crazy setups, one of them tri sli 580s and they get sub 60fps in , in this example, brink.
Damn, so save the money and upgrade later would be the best solution? I just want this to be better performance than my laptop 9800m GTS. It would bum me out to build a desktop with minimal difference in graphics and speed.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Hmm

Uh, just install on your new SSD? I doubt you'll run into any issues, but if you do, it literally just takes 15 minutes to install W7 on an SSD. Set your SSD as primary boot drive, boot from the W7 DVD and install it onto your SSD, and see if you can activate. I doubt you'll have any issues.

Do not image your HDD onto your SSD. SSD installations need to be properly aligned...W7 install will do this, but if you image a misaligned W7 installation to an SSD, your performance will plummet.

vexvegaz

TheExodu5 said:
Uh, just install on your new SSD? I doubt you'll run into any issues, but if you do, it literally just takes 15 minutes to install W7 on an SSD. Set your SSD as primary boot drive, boot from the W7 DVD and install it onto your SSD, and see if you can activate. I doubt you'll have any issues.

Do not image your HDD onto your SSD. SSD installations need to be properly aligned...W7 install will do this, but if you image a misaligned W7 installation to an SSD, your performance will plummet.

wouldnt a windows repair right after the image transfer fix this issue? not only will it realign the OS but also enable TRIM if available?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
Uh, just install on your new SSD?.

Well I was evaluating the potential of any licensing issues that could ensue by using the same key.

DeVeAn said:
Damn, so save the money and upgrade later would be the best solution? I just want this to be better performance than my laptop 9800m GTS. It would bum me out to build a desktop with minimal difference in graphics and speed.

Oh no haha take what I said with a grain of salt, the difference between a 9800m laptop gpu and a gtx 570 should be vast no doubt about it, it's just that going in believing you're going to ( although it could very well happen ) max every game without running into any issue ever within the present time frame would be setting yourself up to be dissapointed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Looks good for now. I'll lower the voltage down and see where that gets me.
qJH2i.jpg

vexvegaz said:
nothing concrete, just looking at the design..the corsairs are much roomier than the silverstone and allows for better cable management due to placement of the grommets. and if you use any type of multi-gpu card config, it looks like the silverstone can create a hot pocket between the gfx card.
Size is also part of why the 600T/650D and 700D/800D come up short in air cooling. That isn't to say that there aren't numerous large cases with good stock cooling, just that Corsair still needs to work on that aspect of their products. Even with the improved fans inside of the 600T SE version and 650D, they're still marginal air coolers.

The 650D is a nice case, if a bit overpriced. Then when you factor in liquid, there are plenty of options (even those costing $50-100+ less) that can match and/or beat its water cooling flexibility and/or performance.

vexvegaz said:
edit: your post got me a bit curious and did some reading. it seems that you guys may be right about the FT02 being the best air cooling case available. having said that, I would still prefer a corsair 700D / 800D over the silverstone.
You have a water block in your avatar, which is what the 700D/800D were largely designed for. Whereas, the FT02/RV02/RV03 are air coolers first and foremost.

vexvegaz

·feist· said:
Size is also part of why the 600T/650D and 700D/800D come up short in air cooling. That isn't to say that there aren't numerous large cases with good stock cooling, just that Corsair still needs to work on that aspect of their products. Even with the improved fans inside of the 600T SE version and 650D, they're still marginal air coolers.

The 650D is a nice case, if a bit overpriced. Then when you factor in liquid, there are plenty of options (even those costing $50-100+ less) that can match and/or beat its water cooling flexibility and/or performance.

You have a water block in your avatar, which is what the 700D/800D were largely designed for. Whereas, the FT02/RV02/RV03 are air coolers first and foremost.

appreciate the education and to be honest, it would be in my best interest to learn to shut the fuck considering i haven't touched air cooling since my p4 northwood with a SWIFTECH MCX478

Hawk269

AliceInJam said:
My budget does include a monitor. I do have a 1080p 50 inch Panasonic plasma though.....so do you think a monitor is really necessary? I was not quite sure how it would look on there. If I didn't have to buy a monitor now that would mean $1500 for just the pc itself! What do you think?

That is entirely up to you man. I have my rig hooked up to my Sony 55" 3-D TV and I use it exlusively only on my TV. For internet, web surfing etc. I use my laptop. My rig is strictly for gaming and that is it. I will go on the net for drivers, downloading games from different sites when they have better deals than Steam, but that is pretty much it. All I do is tell Windows to make the text size bigger and I am golden.

For $1500 you could make a killer rig. The first steps you need to ask yourself are:

1) Am I going to do a multi-screen set up?
2) Am I going to want to have 3D Capabilities?
3) Am I using this PC for any other program intensive functions other than games?

This alone would answer your need for Monitor if for say you want to do 3d gaming. Depending on what else you plan to do with your rig, would determine the CPU, GPU etc. But for $1500 with or without a monitor you can build a really great PC for gaming.

knitoe

Hawk269 said:
Yeah! I asked if you could post your settings a while back...was ignored..lol..but thanks.

Another noob question. On the 2 switches on the motherboard, the TPU and EPU what do have them set at when using your own overclock?
I responded to you in post #15490. You must have missed it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27572283&postcount=15490

I did not touch those switches on the MB. I have them enable / auto in the BIOS.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Hawk269 said:
That is entirely up to you man. I have my rig hooked up to my Sony 55" 3-D TV and I use it exlusively only on my TV. For internet, web surfing etc. I use my laptop. My rig is strictly for gaming and that is it. I will go on the net for drivers, downloading games from different sites when they have better deals than Steam, but that is pretty much it. All I do is tell Windows to make the text size bigger and I am golden.

What's your setup look like? Wireless mouse/keyboard?

It's a matter of taste, but I think Corsair really nailed the minimalist look with the Obsidian series. They look sharper and cleaner than just about anything on the market.

Anyway, I ordered a Noctua NH-C14; I needed a lower profile cooler because of the side panel fans on the CM 690 II Advanced. Would have been easier on my wallet if the Hyper 212 Plus just fit!

RS4-

I think I'll pick up the 6950 and a case over the weekend.

For the cases, it's either a CM 690 II Advanced for $99 + tax brand new or the Silverstone FT02 for $160 used. I'll probably grab the latter.

Hopefully my q6600 and terrible 2GB of ram don't bottleneck me too much.

Hawk269

Guileless said:
What's your setup look like? Wireless mouse/keyboard?

Yes, wireless mouse and keyboard. Have a wireless 360 controller for games that use it. Works out great. Have the system hooked up via HDMI to the TV, then sound through my A/V Receiver. So I get to play all my PC games in Dolby Digitial or DTS 5.1 on a 55" Screen from my comfy sofa. Internet is wired since my Router sits on top of one of my front speakers and the PC is next to this speaker.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Well I was evaluating the potential of any licensing issues that could ensue by using the same key.

Well find out if there are any issues first. Just install it. It will only take 15 minutes of your time. You can go eat supper while it installs, too.

vexvegaz

RS4- said:
I think I'll pick up the 6950 and a case over the weekend.

For the cases, it's either a CM 690 II Advanced for $99 + tax brand new or the Silverstone FT02 for $160 used. I'll probably grab the latter.

Hopefully my q6600 and terrible 2GB of ram don't bottleneck me too much.

2 things..if you plan on flashing that 6950 make sure you only flash it to unlock the shaders then slowly oc it to 6970 clocks to prevent frying. second, it may not matter to you but buying used pc case can include scratches n nicks.

Curufinwe said:
What are the main differences between the two?

I downloaded EVGA Precision last summer when Alien Swarm was overheating my 8800 GTS, and I've been using it since then to monitor the temperature of my video card and adjust the fan speed if necessary. I don't really use it for anything else.

Nvidia System Tools just seems more robust and integrates better with the Nvidia Control Panel since Nvidia actually wrote the software. It also has it's own system monitor, nvprofile, and lets you overclock, adjust fan settings, store profiles, etc. Just seems like it better integrates with the whole system. I didn't even know about it until I worked on a laptop for a friend, it was the only tool that would allow overclocking on his gpu I could find.

RS4-

vexvegaz said:
2 things..if you plan on flashing that 6950 make sure you only flash it to unlock the shaders then slowly oc it to 6970 clocks to prevent frying. second, it may not matter to you but buying used pc case can include scratches n nicks.

Yeah I'll be careful with the OC. I'll be sure to inspect the case but I can live with some minor things here and there considering that I'd be saving close to $100 compared to paying retail.

Thanks!

If the Silverstone is gone by the time I get a chance to buy it, I'll just deal with stuffing the GPU inside my Lexa case until another FT02 deal comes along.

Hawk269 said:
For $1500 you could make a killer rig. The first steps you need to ask yourself are:

1) Am I going to do a multi-screen set up?
2) Am I going to want to have 3D Capabilities?
3) Am I using this PC for any other program intensive functions other than games?

This alone would answer your need for Monitor if for say you want to do 3d gaming. Depending on what else you plan to do with your rig, would determine the CPU, GPU etc. But for $1500 with or without a monitor you can build a really great PC for gaming.

Alright, thanks for the reply Hawk! So, I am not going for a multi-screen set up, and I don't care much for 3-d. I will be using this pc for gaming exclusively! Existing laptop for browsing and etc. just like you mentioned. So yea, there we go, I really don't think I would need a monitor. So now my budget can go completely towards the everything else minus monitor. Wow where to start.....so I guess I can go all out on the CPU and GPU huh?

Forkball said:
Does anyone have any recommendations or tips when picking out a motherboard? Honestly I'm kinda lost on this aspect.

Honestly, I'd check the recommendations on the front page and build something similar to what they have listed. Unless you have some specific needs besides gaming, like say rendering, then what they have listed will save you a great deal of trouble.

Dosia

Im having an issue downloading the win7 iso through dig river downloader. it is saying im not connected to the internet when i clearly am. anybody heard of this before?

Edit. NVM it's in the Beta section...http://www.asrock.com/mb/beta.asp?Model=A785GXH/128M

I fucking love this board.

So I have a question about the X6 and it's Turbo feature.

I have the A785GXH/128M Motherboard and the latest Bios lets me use a Phenom II X6 1100T(BE). This should really help speed up rendering times for school projects and possible help out with gaming. The only issue is how do I know if my motherboard will support the Turbo feature? Or is this something that I should even see in the Bios or is it software side?

I'd love to be hitting over 4Ghz. I'm at 3.5Ghz with my X4 965(be)

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
Has dat new beast holding up?

Haven't installed any games, hell I don't even have a Steam account. I haven't played a PC game since Battlefield 1942 :p

But for general use like web browsing and other OS related tasks it's fast as fuck.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Smokey said:
Haven't installed any games, hell I don't even have a Steam account. I haven't played a PC game since Battlefield 1942 :p

But for general use like web browsing and other OS related tasks it's fast as fuck.
I...what.

Go get a steam account and play TrackMania Nations (It's free). Go online and go play some maps on a server.

Hawk269

AliceInJam said:
Alright, thanks for the reply Hawk! So, I am not going for a multi-screen set up, and I don't care much for 3-d. I will be using this pc for gaming exclusively! Existing laptop for browsing and etc. just like you mentioned. So yea, there we go, I really don't think I would need a monitor. So now my budget can go completely towards the everything else minus monitor. Wow where to start.....so I guess I can go all out on the CPU and GPU huh?

CPU wise I would suggest the Sandy Bridge 2500k since you are only concerned with gaming. Depending on when you plan to do this, you can also wait to see what AMD has going with the Bulldozer processor. There are alot of motherboards out there and I prefer Asus myself, but you also have to know what you want to do. If you plan to SLI or Crossfire in the future or out of the gate you would want one that is compatible. If you plan on doing severe overclock of the CPU you need to take that into consideration.

I guess you can fill out that quick questionare on the first page and post what your reponses are here and alot of folks will chime in with input

GPU's are the real killer ones to decide on. You are going to get alot of input. But with a $1500 budget, the most expensive part will probabyly be the GPU depending on your needs.

PM your email and i can send a build I have on newegg that my friend is having me build for him. It is right around your target price range as well.

Hawk269

Hazaro said:
I...what.

Go get a steam account and play TrackMania Nations (It's free). Go online and go play some maps on a server.

TrackMania is Free? Huh...I did not know they have FREE games on Steam? Going now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom