• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey said:
I think.....that fixed it

I took out and reseated ram...red lights went away...says

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key"

translated to english it's asking for OS right. someone confirm so i can run butt naked up and down my stairs

Yes, it's asking for the OS.

Commence nakedness...congrats!!

knitoe

Smokey said:

"reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key"

translated to english it's asking for OS right. someone confirm so i can run butt naked up and down my stairs
Yes. It's saying you need a bootable media. Select device where the OS install files are located and commence.

knitoe

black_vegeta said:
Assuming that would be his SSD. Keep that in mind Smokey
Most likely the OS install files are located on disc or USB drive. He would select it as 1st boot drive in the BIOS. And during OS installation process, he would then select SSD.

Smokey said:

Congrats.

Did you see my last post?

I know this can be a little harrowing if you're inexperienced, but you just need to take a moment, breathe, and go step by step.

Ok, can someone please confirm if these temps sound right for i2500k with Hyper 212+ with no OC?

Speedfan:

core0: 33
core1: 26
core2: 30
core3: 34

rice grain method, does this look like it was done correctly? thanks

knitoe

momolicious said:
Ok, can someone please confirm if these temps sound right for i2500k with Hyper 212+ with no OC?

Speedfan:

core0: 33
core1: 26
core2: 30
core3: 34

rice grain method, does this look like it was done correctly? thanks
Looks normal idle(?) temp. More important are the load temps. Run Prime95 using small FFT. Use HWmonitor to see min/max temps, voltages and so on.

Smokey

i'm not excited yet....i am in the bios for the first time....umm...what should my cpu tems be reading?

my cpu is showing 48 degrees celsius in the efi bios...that doesn't sound good...

knitoe

Smokey said:
i'm not excited yet....i am in the bios for the first time....umm...what should my cpu tems be reading?

my cpu is showing 48 degrees celsius in the efi bios...that doesn't sound good...
I have already posted this question many times, seems people don't see them, BIOS temps will be higher vs Windows because they don't have power saving features enable.

knitoe said:
Most likely the OS install files are located on disc or USB drive. He would select it as 1st boot drive in the BIOS. And during OS installation process, he would then select SSD.

Ahhh, gotcha.

knitoe said:
I have already posted this question many times, seems people don't see them, BIOS temps will be higher vs Windows because they don't have power saving features enable.

Bookmarked. ;-)

Smokey

IMAG0249.jpg

oh my god

i know you all are experienced etc...but seeing that I built a fucking computer makes me feel like a beast. looking at it now i also don't think this was a build for a first timer considering all of the pieces I have, not to mention the ft02 and it's unique way of positioning the motherboard.

sitting here chillin with a pepsi in hand looking at the monitor

FEELS GOOD MAN

commissar

Hey for upcoming games should I look to an i5 2500k or spend the extra money on an i7 2600k?

Wanting to be as future proof as one really can be without throwing money away, as I can't upgrade too often

darkwing

commissar said:
Hey for upcoming games should I look to an i5 2500k or spend the extra money on an i7 2600k?

Wanting to be as future proof as one really can be without throwing money away, as I can't upgrade too often

unless you want to do HT extensive stuff, stick with the 2500k

InertiaXr

Smokey said:
oh my god

i know you all are experienced etc...but seeing that I built a fucking computer makes me feel like a beast. looking at it now i also don't think this was a build for a first timer considering all of the pieces I have, not to mention the ft02 and it's unique way of positioning the motherboard.

FEELS GOOD MAN

Dillonyousonofabitch.gif

Nice work bro

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice.

Got my 2500K running at 4.5Ghz now. Seems solid enough.
However, it did have some trouble returning from sleep mode. Don't know if that is a mobo issue (P8P67 Pro), OC issue, or SSD (Intel 320) issue.

Decided to go with offset voltage overclocking since it saves 10W idle.

Smokey

Windows finished installing so now onto drivers etc. And thank all of yall who have put up with me since last summer and to everyone in this thread really. Went back and forth but finally decided to put the fuck up and do it this year. I'll need some tips with overclocking the 2600k a little bit later but for now thanks :p

oh: first time i've taken out the razer mechanical keyboard and the mouse. this keyboard :O

Is this what geekdom feels like?

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Nice.

Got my 2500K running at 4.5Ghz now. Seems solid enough.
However, it did have some trouble returning from sleep mode. Don't know if that is a mobo issue (P8P67 Pro), OC issue, or SSD (Intel 320) issue.

Decided to go with offset voltage overclocking since it saves 10W idle.
Do you have Internal PLL enable? If yes, it's a known sleep / hibernation issue which Intel needs to fix.

knitoe

Smokey said:
Windows finished installing so now onto drivers etc. And thank all of yall who have put up with me since last summer and to everyone in this thread really. Went back and forth but finally decided to put the fuck up and do it this year. I'll need some tips with overclocking the 2600k a little bit later but for now thanks :p

oh: first time i've taken out the razer mechanical keyboard and the mouse. this keyboard :O

Is this what geekdom feels like?
Try my settings for 4.5GHz. My overclock is kept to minimum, CPU only. Depending on how good your CPU is, you might have to adjust the CPU Offset Voltage number.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe:

AI Overclocker Tuner: Manual
BCLK: 100
Turbo Ratio: By All Cores
By All Cores (Can Adjust in OS): 45
Internal PLL: Disable
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz
EPU Power Savings Mode: Auto
Load-Line Calibration: Regular
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed: 300
Phase Control: Standard
Duty Control: T. Probe
CPU Voltage: Offset Mode
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.050
DRAM Voltage: 1.50000
VCCSA Voltage: Auto
VCCIO Voltage: Auto
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.70000
PCH Voltage: Auto
All DRAM DATA/CTRL: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disable

For the Z68 buyers, a spec chart like the one in the OP:

Asus P8Z68 Series Intel Z68 Spec Table
YoGVN.jpg

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Asus P8Z68-V
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z

godhandiscen said:
Maximus? What about Rampage? It is time for a revamp of their true enthusiast mobo.
Rampage is going to show up in their LGA 2011 motherboard line up.

nib95

Banned
Smokey said:
oh my god

FEELS GOOD MAN

Nice dude, nice.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
Try my settings for 4.5GHz. My overclock is kept to minimum, CPU only. Depending on how good your CPU is, you might have to adjust the CPU Offset Voltage number.

Asus P8P67 Deluxe:

Internal PLL: Disable
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1600MHz
Load-Line Calibration: Regular
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed: 300
Phase Control: Standard
Duty Control: T. Probe
Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.050
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.70000
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disable

Asus P8P67 Pro:

Internal PLL: Enable - What does this do?
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1333MHz
Load-Line Calibration: High
VRM Frequency: Auto
Phase Control: Optimized
Duty Control: Extreme - Current load vs temp load makes more sense to me
Offset Mode Sign: -
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.025 (- gives me 1.3V)
VCCSA Voltage: Auto (0.925)
VCCIO Voltage: Auto (1.06)
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto (1.8)
PCH Voltage: Auto (1.04)
CPU Spread Spectrum: Enable

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Asus P8P67 Pro:

Internal PLL: Enable
Memory Frequency: DDR3-1333MHz
VRM Frequency: Auto
Duty Control: Extreme
Offset Mode Sign: -
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.025
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Enable
You have Internal PLL enable so that's why you have sleep / hibernation issues. Intel PLL allows you to get pass the CPU multiplier (wall) where no amount of voltage will get CPU stable, usually 48X or higher. You can disable it since you are only running 45X.

Try my settings so the MB won't need to be "overclock".

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
You have Internal PLL enable so that's why you have sleep / hibernation issues. Try my settings so you so the MB won't need to be "overclock."
Oh that is for the mobo speed then.
Ok, I don't think 4.5Ghz needs it, hopefully it doesn't make 4.5 unstable. I remember reading one of the thing I listed had sleep issues.
Actually thinking about running below 1.3V, maybe on 4.4Ghz and see where I end up. Still don't like running a 32nm quad on the same voltage my 45nm dual had.

*Great :)

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Oh that is for the mobo speed then.
Ok, I don't think 4.5Ghz needs it, hopefully it doesn't make 4.5 unstable. I remember reading one of the thing I listed had sleep issues.
Actually thinking about running below 1.3V, maybe on 4.4Ghz and see where I end up.

*Great :)
My CPU voltage is 1.27V, so if yours need more, you will need to adjust accordingly.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
My CPU voltage is 1.27V, so if yours need more, you will need to adjust accordingly.
Yeah, mine doesn't seem to be the best chip atm. BSOD at 4.6Ghz with those settings.
Maybe it excels at a lower voltage, who knows.

knitoe

Hazaro said:
Yeah, mine doesn't seem to be the best chip atm. BSOD at 4.6Ghz with those settings.
Maybe it excels at a lower voltage, who knows.
My settings are for 4.5GHz@1.27V. At 4.6GHz, I would get BSOD too unless I up it to ~1.30V.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
My settings are for 4.5GHz@1.27V. At 4.6GHz, I would get BSOD too unless I up it to ~1.30V.
I'm wondering why my offset is needed to be negative to get 1.3V
Guess my PRO just thinks it needs that for the clock?

It was stable at manual 1.3 voltage as well, but like I said I checked the draw and its 10W less.
Trojita said:
How hot is too hot for processors when overclocking? I just installed my new CPU cooler. Stressing the CPU using Prime 95 using 4 concurrent workers gave me temperatures from 52-58 Degrees Celsius, with the average number being somewhere between those numbers. One core was surprisingly lower in temperature than the rest.
Load up to 65C is nice under Blend. Just use average temp. Sensors arent the best.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
How hot is too hot for processors when overclocking? I just installed my new CPU cooler. Stressing the CPU using Prime 95 using 4 concurrent workers gave me temperatures from 52-58 Degrees Celsius, with the average number being somewhere between those numbers. One core was surprisingly lower in temperature than the rest.

knitoe

Hazaro said:
I'm wondering why my offset is needed to be negative to get 1.3V
Guess my PRO just thinks it needs that for the clock?

It was stable at manual 1.3 voltage as well, but like I said I checked the draw and its 10W less.

Load up to 65C is nice under Blend. Just use average temp. Sensors arent the best.
Hazaro said:
[
Using these two options add CPU voltages. While, my settings do not. Thus, for us to get 1.30V, you need to subtract(- offset) vs I need to add (+offset) voltages. My settings don't push / overclock MB compare to yours.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
knitoe said:
Using these two options add CPU voltages. While, my settings do not. Thus, for use to get 1.30V, you need to subtract(- offset) vs I need to add (+offset) voltages.
Interesting, I figured it wouldn't really affect it that much since it for motherboard power.

Smokey

Hey guys I'm trying to install some drivers and I notice that under my computer the samsung f4 is not listed...only the intel.

When I start the machine up and everything is coming up it says marvel controller blah blah then it says
ach mode (or something like this) no hard drive detected, yet when i go into bios it looks like it recognizes it? and when i was installing windows i had a choice to place it on the ssd or the samsung?

i'm messing around in the bios and int he boot override section for example...it lists p2: intel ssd... p5: samsing hd204ui

what is going on here?

knitoe

Smokey said:
Hey guys I'm trying to install some drivers and I notice that under my computer the samsung f4 is not listed...only the intel.

When I start the machine up and everything is coming up it says marvel controller blah blah then it says
ach mode (or something like this) no hard drive detected, yet when i go into bios it looks like it recognizes it? and when i was installing windows i had a choice to place it on the ssd or the samsung?
The drive needs to be format before you can see it. Use Windows Disk Management.

If you are not using Marvel controller, you can disable it in BIOS and never see that message again.

Fredescu

It's not formatted. The OS installation process will only prompt to format the drive you're installing the OS on, so you have to format the secondary drive once you're up and running. Right click Computer, choose Manage, and go to disk management. You should see the drive and it's unused space at the bottom. Right click it to create a partition and then format it.

So I have a i7 920 with a HD4870 1GB gfx.

Is there any other graphics card worth upgrading to that's not too pricey? Should I just hold out?

Gigabyte's Intel Z68 motherboard line up.

New GIGABYTE Z68 Series Motherboards
http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/279/z68.html

Gigabyte GA-Z68 Series Spec Table

289irzo.jpg
1zfmmmf.jpg
rc1zph.jpg

Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD5-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3

They have more planned, to go along with the 11 models above.

First-tier motherboard makers to ship nearly 400,000 Z68-based motherboards in May
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110510PD219.html
Additionally, Gigabyte plans to launch over 20 models of Z68-based motherboards before the end of June, including models that will support m-SATA onboard technology, the sources indicated.

DeVeAn

The heat sink fan that comes with the i5 2500k is that good enough? I saw that video of Jeff making his PC and the other dude said its sufficient.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
DeVeAn said:
The heat sink fan that comes with the i5 2500k is that good enough? I saw that video of Jeff making his PC and the other dude said its sufficient.
It's good enough for running the CPU at stock or with a modest OC (like, 4.0-4.2GHz). The fan can get kinda noisy though.

DeVeAn

ExMachina said:
It's good enough for running the CPU at stock or with a modest OC (like, 4.0-4.2GHz). The fan can get kinda noisy though.
Tryin to keep price down just don't know if it's safer to get an aftermarket anyway.

Smokey

I've downloaded all of my necessary drivers, and have updated the 580 to the newest from nvidia. Added Microsoft Security Essentials. Will look into the overclocking and other stuff tomorrow. Computer is sooo fast lol. DAT SSD. I'm still amazed that I'm posting from a computer I built :p.

Will make a thread tomorrow on what games to get/start with...I haven't played a PC game since Battlefield 1942 :eek: :). Some finals pics below:

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

xXJonoXx

I have been using my new PC I built September 2010 and it has a PALiT GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB GDDR5 which is factory overclocked. Idle temp is usually about 35c. However, when I play most game such as GTA IV, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, etc with the fan at 80-100% speed the temps max out usually between 76c and 83c, average about 80c under regular gaming load at 1920x1080 8xAA 16xAF. My room is usually about 74F ambient so not the coolest of rooms. I've seen conflicting answers all over the place, just wondering if these are safe numbers and if it's going to kill the life of my card for it to be this temperature for many hours straight while gaming?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
xXJonoXx said:
I have been using my new PC I built September 2010 and it has a PALiT GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB GDDR5 which is factory overclocked. Idle temp is usually about 35c. However, when I play most game such as GTA IV, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, etc with the fan at 80-100% speed the temps max out usually between 76c and 83c, average about 80c under regular gaming load at 1920x1080 8xAA 16xAF. My room is usually about 74F ambient so not the coolest of rooms. I've seen conflicting answers all over the place, just wondering if these are safe numbers and if it's going to kill the life of my card for it to be this temperature for many hours straight while gaming?
Up to 95C is ok. Ideally you'd want below that. 85C is fine.
Dina said:
Any benchmarks on what the Z68 will bring compared to the P67?
Nope, but look on anandtech if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom