• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

n0n44m said:
I tried to google a bit but I have no experience doing EDID override stuff

found this link however

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=163940

which is pretty much the same issue you have except with a TV

he links to some threads in the final post on avsforum which are dedicated to these sort of issues, basically you'll have to capture the EDID your receiver sends out, then edit it and force the driver to load the edited EDID instead

you could also try to install the sound drivers from some earlier drivers as a temporary solution, though I don't know if you can mix later display drivers with earlier sound drivers... (like I said last year I still had to select everything manually so I suspect this EDID sound stuff was introduced in later drivers)

Ah thanks, I will look all this over. How did i know I would end up at AVS forum LOL

Fredescu said:
You could probably get away with just upgrading the video card. Is the CPU overclocked? BF3 is probably going to be CPU heavy, but I doubt a Phenom II X4 at ~3.5Ghz is going to have too much trouble with it. The new AMD processors should be out next month, so it will be interesting to see what they do to the market. I'd be surprised if you'd have to worry about a CPU upgrade for a while, but we won't know for sure until the benches come in.

Excellent, thanks for that!

Trying to get my computer up to par on Starcraft 2

I have this computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147097

It's only doing like 13 fps when I'm trying to play SC2 with all the settings on LOW.

What do yall think I should get for the computer to make the game playable? I know I need a new computer all together but i'm just trying to get it going until I can buy a new computer.

I looked at the Radeon 5670 but i heard i couldn't use it cause it's 2.1 and i have 1.0 or something along those lines. :(

Nafai1123

Banned
Hazaro said:
If you load under FURMark does it artifact? Try jiggling the cable and reseating it on the motherboard. Also try 1 driver revision back.

Got it working. Reseated the GPU and used a different PCI power cable and everything is working fine now. Thanks for the tips. It's been so long since I have a decent gaming pc. Metro 2033 looks fucking incredible!!

scogoth

MidnightRider said:

I have this computer.

It's only doing like 13 fps when I'm trying to play SC2 with all the settings on LOW.

What do yall think I should get for the computer to make the game playable? I know I need a new computer all together but i'm just trying to get it going until I can buy a new computer.

I looked at the Radeon 5670 but i heard i couldn't use it cause it's 2.1 and i have 1.0 or something along those lines. :(

No point in buying a 5670. Save your money for a new machine, buying any parts for your machine now would be a waste of money.

LegoDad

Do we have a troubleshooting thread? I was browsing the internet and my computer crashed, now it won't boot up, the start up repair doesn't work and Safe mood gets stuck on a file then crashes.

TIA

scogoth said:
No point in buying a 5670. Save your money for a new machine, buying any parts for your machine now would be a waste of money.

problem is... it's gonna be months before I can save up that kind of cash with summer quickly approaching and all the other bills and what not that comes with the months ahead.

So there is no way to buy anything for my computer to help it run smoother while playing?

maybe like an older 4 series or a 8000 series NVidia?

EDIT**** Would something like this work with my computer?

http://www.buy.com/prod/jaton-gefor...e-8400-gs-512mb-ddr2/q/loc/101/209310264.html

MoFuzz

Anybody here still running a GTX 260/275? It's been two years and I'm feeling the upgrade itch, but the current gen GTX 5xx series is kinda weaker than what I was expecting in terms of performance improvement from a GTX 275.

Not sure if $300 to $450 would be justified given the somewhat incremental gains.

All right, I went with a few of the cheaper options in the $1000 build, have I screwed anything up?
mlroma.jpg

Also, I'm lost on the case, any advice?

Coldsnap

n0n44m said:
I tried to google a bit but I have no experience doing EDID override stuff

found this link however

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=163940

which is pretty much the same issue you have except with a TV

he links to some threads in the final post on avsforum which are dedicated to these sort of issues, basically you'll have to capture the EDID your receiver sends out, then edit it and force the driver to load the edited EDID instead

you could also try to install the sound drivers from some earlier drivers as a temporary solution, though I don't know if you can mix later display drivers with earlier sound drivers... (like I said last year I still had to select everything manually so I suspect this EDID sound stuff was introduced in later drivers)

Thanks again, got my problem fixed. Luckily I didn't have to do any EDID changes, just had to turn off Audio Out on my receiver, sorta had a lucky guess after reading the thread.

TheExodu5

Banned
MidnightRider said:
problem is... it's gonna be months before I can save up that kind of cash with summer quickly approaching and all the other bills and what not that comes with the months ahead.

So there is no way to buy anything for my computer to help it run smoother while playing?

maybe like an older 4 series or a 8000 series NVidia?

EDIT**** Would something like this work with my computer?

http://www.buy.com/prod/jaton-gefor...e-8400-gs-512mb-ddr2/q/loc/101/209310264.html

I'd go with the 5670. Not a great card or anything, but it will be a massive improvement over your onboard card.

Don't go with that 8400. It's not meant to game at all.

edit:

HD5670-30.jpg

Pretty respectable for a $60 card.

Power consumption shouldn't be an issue, either:

HD5670-61.jpg

dwebo

MidnightRider said:

I have this computer.

There are pcie 2.0 5670s. 2.1 cards generally work in 1.0 slots, though my friend had a similar HP with bootup problems with a 2.1 card. Something to do with the nforce mobo IIRC. A 2.0 card worked just fine, though.

Even a 5670 is going to be a huge upgrade over integrated, so you should definitely look into it. Since it only draws power from the pcie slot, and the processor is just 65w tdp, you should be fine with just a 220w psu. It's not very hard to switch out a psu though, and you could potentially pickup a much more powerful card.

TheExodu5

Banned
He just wants to ride this computer out and spend as little as possible. The 5670 looks like a really good choice, to me. I certainly wouldn't be spending on a PSU for an obsolete PC...unless he was planning on bringing the PSU over to the new build, that is. At that point though, you're spending $250-300 (assuming a GTX 460 or 560) instead of $60.

@MidnightRider, as far as your concerns about PCI-E 1.0 vs. 2.0...I'm pretty sure your motherboard would be 2.0 anyways. But either way, PCI-E is backwards compatible...even if you have 1.0, you'd just be missing the bandwidth from 2.0. I doubt the 5670 would max out PCI-E 1.0 bandwidth anyways.

I have a SteelSeries WoW mouse, and I was wondering if there were any drivers that let me map the extra buttons for use in other games? The official drivers are too geared for WoW, but I don't actually play it anymore.

TheExodu5

Banned
caliblue15 said:
Do we have a troubleshooting thread? I was browsing the internet and my computer crashed, now it won't boot up, the start up repair doesn't work and Safe mood gets stuck on a file then crashes.

TIA

Sounds like hard drive problem.

Ploid 3.0

Wow I just downloaded Crysis 2 demo, then installed it. I got errors for my gamespy account so I made a new one. The new one wouldn't work in game so I ------ Long process of finding out the servers are just down--------- I found out it's now a worthless demo. So at least I know my PC can run the menu... PC used to be king of the demo, they need demos bad. I guess now that I know what bench marks are (something to see if your system can run a game, or how awesome your system runs a game, right) I suppose this is the way PC gamers test a game before they buy.

There are so few demos now. Such a shame. I also want to test Shift 2, and Hawx2.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
vexvegaz said:
hey Hazaro, any update on this? im curious to see how much lower you managed to get your vcore and still keep that clock. My 2600k can do 4.5 @ 1.3 / 1.32 but anything lower will get me BSOD 00000101/124(moar juice).
Nope, it's something I'll test overnight when I don't need my computer up for something.
I'm pretty happy where it is at now, if 4.4 uses 1.25-1.27V I'll probably run that though.
NakedCosmonaut said:
All right, I went with a few of the cheaper options in the $1000 build, have I screwed anything up?
mlroma.jpg

Also, I'm lost on the case, any advice?
The LE is a gimped version of P8P^7. For whatever reason ASUS doesn't want you to BIOS overclock with it. Either get the regular version or get a different board.
If you are only running a single card get a Seasonic 520w. It's a much better build quality and about the same price after that rebate. (I also have a Corsair 520w I could sell you...)
The 212 you can get for somewhere else for $30.

*Actually maybe look at some of the Z68 boards that are releasing. I'm waiting for some good write-ups.
MidnightRider said:

I have this computer.

An x2 does ok for SC II on low right? Just throwing that out there in case someone knows otherwise.
caliblue15 said:

TIA
There's a TechSupport thread in the OT.

Smokey

Back with another noob question. As I mentioned on the previous page, ASUS overclocked my 2600k for me to 4.6ghz. Bought Crysis 2 on Steam (meh on single player so far) and took a look at the CPU speed when I had C2 running. It said 4600 something under core speed.

After playing that for a while I took a break and decided to look at the core speed again just to see where it would go and it says 1633mhz x 16 multiplier...

Am I reading it wrong or (doesn't seem right to me) or is that how it is supposed to be?

Ploid 3.0

Energy saving stuff pulls it down so it can save power and stay quiet due to cooler clock (slower fan speed needed). When you start to require more speed it will wake up and beast stuff.

New graphics engine imperils users of Firefox and Chrome
Disable WebGL now, researchers warn

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/11/chrome_firefox_security_threat/
The US Computer Emergency Readiness Team is advising users of the Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers to disable a recently added graphics engine that can be exploited to steal data or crash end user computers.

The web standard known as WebGL opens the browsers to serious attacks, including the theft of images or denial-of-service attacks, independent research consultancy Context Information Security recently warned. The technology made its debut in version 9 of Chrome and was added to the recently released Firefox 4. WebGL is also present in builds of Opera and Apple's Safari.

“Based on this limited research Context does not believe WebGL is really ready for mass usage,” Context researcher James Forshaw wrote. “Therefore Context recommends that users and corporate IT managers consider disabling WebGL in their browsers.

more...
WebGL Security Risks
http://www.us-cert.gov/current/index.html#web_users_warned_to_turn

WebGL Security
http://www.khronos.org/news/permalink/webgl-security

WebGL - A New Dimension for Browser Exploitation
http://www.contextis.com/resources/blog/webgl/

webglimg.png

Smokey said:
Back with another noob question. As I mentioned on the previous page, ASUS overclocked my 2600k for me to 4.6ghz. Bought Crysis 2 on Steam (meh on single player so far) and took a look at the CPU speed when I had C2 running. It said 4600 something under core speed.

After playing that for a while I took a break and decided to look at the core speed again just to see where it would go and it says 1633mhz x 16 multiplier...

Am I reading it wrong or (doesn't seem right to me) or is that how it is supposed to be?
I think you asked a similar question earlier but the principle is the same, the ASUS OC Tuner overclocks it but when you don't the extra speed it clocks it down for less power usage.

knitoe

Smokey said:

The CPU increases speed under load (4600MHz = 4.6GHz) and underclocks to save power when idle (1600MHZ). Normally, you want to lock the BLCK = 100 X 16=> 1600MHz. If you use a software overclocking, they usually will raise the BLK = 103 X 16=> 1633MHz. Raising the BLCK can cause system unstability.

Also, with software overclocking, they generally over volts your CPU which leads to higher temps. And, anytime you overclock, you should check the CPU voltages & temps under load running Prime95 small FFT + HWmonitor to make sure it's within safe range.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
NakedCosmonaut said:
All right, swapped in the Seasonic 520w. Z68 like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495?

*Supposed to have quoted Hazaro
Well they JUST came out so there's not much info on them.

If you think you'll be running a single card all the way, you can go for an ASrock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157230
or this MSI if you might run two later.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130582

If you want to keep the budget down.

Dirt 2 looks so fucking good on PC. I've been playing tons of games on my plasma because I love the color reproduction. It really does shit on any LCD Monitor I could ever buy.

Seriously can't wait for Dirt 3 and Witcher 2. Thinking about getting another 6970 but I'm not sure yet.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alright, buying new video card today or tomorrow. It will be used for games and modeling. What's the best card going in the $100 price range (give or take 20 bucks)??

Suggestions?

what's everyone's take on vsync? I really hate tearing and most games have it badly when running above 60fps. Considering I don't have a 120hz monitor I've been enabling vsync with triple buffering enabled in catalyst to get rid of tearing.

I do notice for certain games I really don't see tearing at high frame rates (tf2) and others it gets bad. Does everyone run vsync on a case by case basis? or am I that sensitive to screen tearing?

I'm considering a new PC build that I was hoping for some input on. I want a new media pc to hook up to my 1080p panny. It doesn't need to be super powerful, just enough to stream HD content through netflix, hulu, etc and display HD content from an over-the-air antenna (are their recommended antennas/tuners for this)?

I'd like to spend as little money as possible, and keep it as quiet and low power as I can. Any suggestions?

Ploid 3.0

BigBlackGamer said:
what's everyone's take on vsync? I really hate tearing and most games have it badly when running above 60fps. Considering I don't have a 120hz monitor I've been enabling vsync with triple buffering enabled in catalyst to get rid of tearing.

I do notice for certain games I really don't see tearing at high frame rates (tf2) and others it gets bad. Does everyone run vsync on a case by case basis? or am I that sensitive to screen tearing?

Vsync and Triple Buffering via D3DOverrider seem to have a benefit. In the Triple Buffer gaf thread it's suggested to use that over your normal methods.

Triple Buffering: "Why we love it"

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hmmm okay... GTS 450, or HD 5770? Both are around $100. The Radeon seems to be preferred by many people. However... how much is my CPU going to bottle neck this? I have an older Quad 2 Core 2.33GHz and 4MB of Ram.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Extollere said:
Alright, buying new video card today or tomorrow. It will be used for games and modeling. What's the best card going in the $100 price range (give or take 20 bucks)??

Suggestions?
GTX 460 768MB no question.
Clever Pun said:
I'm considering a new PC build that I was hoping for some input on. I want a new media pc to hook up to my 1080p panny. It doesn't need to be super powerful, just enough to stream HD content through netflix, hulu, etc and display HD content from an over-the-air antenna (are their recommended antennas/tuners for this)?

I'd like to spend as little money as possible, and keep it as quiet and low power as I can. Any suggestions?
You can do something like an AMD FX board + x2 245 for $130
or
Z68 board + Intel 2100 for $230

Do you want it to be capable of anything else? The cost of mobo and CPU (vs the whole computer) is a small part and you can easily make it gaming capable for another $200 on top of a budget option.
Syphon Filter said:
Anyone have this case? Is it good for long graphic cards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
Yup

Hazaro said:
You can do something like an AMD FX board + x2 245 for $130
or
Z68 board + Intel 2100 for $230

Do you want it to be capable of anything else? The cost of mobo and CPU (vs the whole computer) is a small part and you can easily make it gaming capable for another $200 on top of a budget option.

Thanks, I'll look into those.

As for other capabilities, not really - I have a gaming PC already, this is just to give some DVR capabilities for over the air broadcasts because I'm looking to drop Cable.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Clever Pun said:
Thanks, I'll look into those.

As for other capabilities, not really - I have a gaming PC already, this is just to give some DVR capabilities for over the air broadcasts because I'm looking to drop Cable.
I'd look at a specific HTPC forum or site.
I'm not sure on the different capabilities say between a 790FX + x2 vs a 2100 on H67 for example.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hazaro said:
GTX 460 768MB no question.

Okay, but.... what about my second question... GTS 450, HD 5770, GTX 460, etc... Are any of these still worth getting if you have a Quad Core 2.3 GHz CPU? Or will the computer bottleneck them so that I'm not getting my money's worth out of the card?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Extollere said:
Okay, but.... what about my second question... GTS 450, HD 5770, GTX 460, etc... Are any of these still worth getting if you have a Quad Core 2.3 GHz CPU? Or will the computer bottleneck them so that I'm not getting my money's worth out of the card?
You can always pad mod or OC, but yes you will definitely get value out of it.
Get the 460 as it is a clear step above for just a bit more.

TrounceX

Uh oh I wish I knew about this thread earlier because I just ordered my first gaming rig earlier this week. I had a $1500 budget and my questionable friend picked out most of the pieces.

CoolerMaster HAF 922
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2 Gb EVGA superclocked
[SLI] ASUS P8P67 PRO -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth
750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX
96 GB Kingston SSDNow V+100 Series MLC SSD
2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

What does GAF think? I could probably still change the order if needed. All I really care about is being able to play BF3 and Skyrim.

Cheech

TrounceX said:
What does GAF think? I could probably still change the order if needed. All I really care about is being able to play BF3 and Skyrim.

LOL. It will do the job, no worries! How much was the SSD? Unless you got a pretty good deal on it, I'd do a different one. Nothing really wrong with it, but there are newer models out.

The liquid cooling thing is kind of odd. You planning on overclocking quite a bit?

Otherwise, the only other thing is you will want a large fan for the top of that case. There is a pretty big hole in it otherwise, and you're going to hear everything going on in that box unless there's a fan up there. I used that exact case for a build for a friend of mine. It's a dream to work in (very easy for cable management), but it is not the quietest case I've used.

Good build though, honestly. You'll love it.

knitoe

TrounceX said:
Uh oh I wish I knew about this thread earlier because I just ordered my first gaming rig earlier this week. I had a $1500 budget and my questionable friend picked out most of the pieces.

CoolerMaster HAF 922
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (Intel) - Enermax Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2 Gb EVGA superclocked
[SLI] ASUS P8P67 PRO -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth
750 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-750TX
96 GB Kingston SSDNow V+100 Series MLC SSD
2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

I would replace the Asetek 550LC. Seems to be a rebadge Corsair H50 and they aren't really good even compare to air coolers.

And Kingston SSD, get a Sandforce controller SDD or Crucial C300 instead.

Everything else looks fine.

Hazaro how long we talking here for the antec 900? It can take the 12 inch ati card and maybe some extra space as well? Also can you turn the blue led fan lights off?

comrade

knitoe said:
I would replace the Asetek 550LC. Seems to be a rebadge Corsair H50 and they aren't really good even compare to air coolers.

And Kingston SSD, get a Sandforce controller SDD or Crucial C300 instead.

Everything else looks fine.
The H50 is actually a rebadged Astek 550LC. The pump on the H50 even says Asetek on it. They're pretty good with decent fans. The H70 seems to be on par with the Noctua NH-D14 and that's a beast of an air cooler.

Nafai1123

Banned
Ugh I guess my problem isn't fixed after all. PC was running just peachy this morning and I come home expecting to be able to FINALLY play a game when I start getting the same fucking problem. It actually got worse.

My friend seemed to think it could be a PSU issue. I ran Prime95 figuring that it should cause a crash under cpu load, unless of course the 12v cable is actually bad. No crash for 10min with heaviest power usage.

I tried going back to 11.3 drivers, tried another pci connector cable, and removed the ram that booted with my dead mobo (now booting with the new 8 gigs). It seemed to work better after doing that, but I still encountered the split screen problem after a couple minutes in game.

I'm about to revert back to 11.1 drivers, and after that I'm fucking done for the night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom