• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Syphon Filter said:
Hazaro how long we talking here for the antec 900? It can take the 12 inch ati card and maybe some extra space as well? Also can you turn the blue led fan lights off?
Just google antec 900 + 'card name'
It'll fit a 6950
No, unless you cut the LED wire

Just wondering, Is there any benefits to waiting towards the end of the year to building a new gaming comp? Or is the same 2500k build going to still be THE ONE by winter? I wouldnt want to wait till winter and still end up paying the same for the same parts i could have bought months ago.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Bulldozer is out in 1 month and will probably be competition.
But it shouldn't be anything large. New GPU's out by winter should be better.

Jeramii

Banned
gaf!

2hplpts.jpg

how is this looking? anything else i need to add, subtract, or revise? this is with recommendations from a few pages ago when i posted around 24 hours ago.

4 gigs of ram is plenty for now right?

Jeramii said:

Warning about that keyboard (which I'm typing on right now). The key combination of left shift + W + space bar, which is commonly in used in FPS for jumping while running, does not work. I've spent more time than I should have arguing with logitech about this, but the conclusion is that they claim it's not supposed to work because this is not a "gaming series" keyboard (which I think is BS because I've never owned a 'gaming' keyboard, and i've never had this problem). From what I've seen at various places online, the new wireless version (K800 I believe) does not have the same keyblocking issues.

Jeramii said:
gaf!

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hplpts.jpg

how is this looking? anything else i need to add, subtract, or revise? this is with recommendations from a few pages ago when i posted around 24 hours ago.

4 gigs of ram is plenty for now right?
Looks good mostly, but you can possibly tweak a few things.
Get this SeaSonic X750 deal that MikeE21286 posted (if it's still valid):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27757097#post27757097

The basic version of the Antec 300 is pricey at $60. See if you can find if for cheaper elsewhere, or take a look at some of the recommendations in the OP. With the PSU savings, you could also step up to a ~$80-100 case with better features.

As cheap as ram is, stepping up to an 8GB kit may or may not be worth it to you. Drop the static strap unless you're very antsy about the build, or your place is covered in carpets, sweaters and pet hair. The WD Black is nice. Alternatively, you can get a faster 1TB Samsung F3 for ~$60, though the WD has a better warranty.

Jeramii

Banned
wow. you guys rock.

i'll just reply this way.

ram is 1.5 volt. so good there.

keyboard: good to know, I'll rethink what I'm doing with that. I'll probably just use my apple aluminum keyboard for the moment until another deal pops up.

as for the code to get the psu it appears to not work anymore :(

i'll take a look at the cases in the op. i'm fine with the one i have, but i'm not attached to it. so if there is a better deal i'm open for this.

i'll probably keep the static cable because i do have quite a bit of carpet in my house.

and yeah. western digital has always been good to me. so i'll probably stick with them.

I have a big problem I need some help with. I was attempting my first overclock, changing some settings in the BIOS, and I must have fucked something up, because now when I try to boot I just get a black screen with 'missing operating system'.

Could I have damaged one of my HD's? And how can I fix this? I put in my recovery disc, but it won't boot it, just goes to the black screen. Help!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
number1jagsfan said:
I have a big problem I need some help with. I was attempting my first overclock, changing some settings in the BIOS, and I must have fucked something up, because now when I try to boot I just get a black screen with 'missing operating system'.

Could I have damaged one of my HD's? And how can I fix this? I put in my recovery disc, but it won't boot it, just goes to the black screen. Help!
Reset your BIOS / Clear your CMOS.

Make sure you keep BLCK at 100, if it raised too much it might of damaged something.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my 2500k overclock isn't sticking. Often it'll give me an 'overclock failed' on the BIOS boot up, and I have to switch it down. All I was doing was putting it on 43 multiplier and changing nothing else. All that voltage stuff made my head explode.

Reading how 'easy' it is to overclock I figured 4.3GHz was a safe enough target. Seems not.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
number1jagsfan said:

mrklaw said:
my 2500k overclock isn't sticking. Often it'll give me an 'overclock failed' on the BIOS boot up, and I have to switch it down. All I was doing was putting it on 43 multiplier and changing nothing else. All that voltage stuff made my head explode.

Reading how 'easy' it is to overclock I figured 4.3GHz was a safe enough target. Seems not.
See:

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

If you want something simple. Set the manual CPU voltage to 1.3V and clock speed to 4.3Ghz. That should be stable on most system's I would think.
Lock BLCK at 100

Hazaro said:
Reset your BIOS / Clear your CMOS.

Make sure you keep BLCK at 100, if it raised too much it might of damaged something.

I have done that, but I am still getting the black screen with 'operating system missing' on boot. And I can't boot my recovery disc to try and repair it.

knitoe

number1jagsfan said:
I have done that, but I am still getting the black screen with 'operating system missing' on boot. And I can't boot my recovery disc to try and repair it.
Did you change the order of your boot drive? Change the SATA mode to ACHI to Raid or so on?

Ok, I think when I reset the BIOS I knocked some settings. I had to re-enable RAID, and now my PC is booting up, but there are all these lines on screen, as it isn't finding my GPU now lol. How do I get it to detect my GPU now?

Edit: Its OK now lol! Panic over, back to my overclocking attempt. I'll post if I need any more help!

knitoe

mrklaw said:

You shouldn't really try overclocking until you read up and use some guides for general settings. After you become familiar, you can then adjust the settings to match perfectly with your configurations. As to your current problem, since you get even the computer boot up the bios properly, you need to really up the CPU voltage.

mAcOdIn

I have a question, I'm looking at getting a Radeon 6850, preferably the Asus EAH6850 and my question is does anyone have any experience using the DVI/VGA port on it? I'm wonderg if it would actually work with the DVI->VGA converter in the box and then a VGA->Component converter to my TV, none of these newer cards have the old S/Video/Component output so I'm worried about what a new card will do to my setup.

Another question, what kind of CPU temps should I be looking for on an overclocked Q6600. So far I have overclocked to 2.9GHz and I am getting temps of about 46-53 on full load. SHould I not be going much higher than that?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
number1jagsfan said:
Another question, what kind of CPU temps should I be looking for on an overclocked Q6600. So far I have overclocked to 2.9GHz and I am getting temps of about 46-53 on full load. SHould I not be going much higher than that?
<65 load

So last night I got my replacement mobo

I was all excited. pumped. yay I finally get to play the stuff I got on steam for sale!

pops in radeon...

got lit up :(

pops in horrendous 40 dollar card from best buy....

shit works!

F
M
L

kevm3

Wish I had went with Sandy Bridge. Got a 760 with an EVGA P55 FTW 132 motherboard instead because I didn't do the research. I guess it'll hold me over for a while and the $50 I saved can be put towards another videocard to SLI.

Vitani

Hello GAFers! I've taken your advice on-board, and come up with this, I know I'm missing a keyboard (it's hard to find one I like, I'm very picky in that respect) but is there anything else I'm missing? The only thing I already have is "kettle" leads for the PSUs.

Your general thoughts would also be appreciated. My aim is to play games (Portal 2, The Sims 3), a little bit of video editing (SD home movies) and encoding (MPEG4 -> Xvid ... slowly ripping my entire DVD collection).

PC1.png

I'm building two of these, what's why everything is Qty 2.

vexvegaz

hazaro inspired me to try and get my oc to the lowest vcore as possible, seems like 4.7 @ 1.35 is as high as i can go and still keep my vcore at a conservative number.

4700.png

kevm3

Thanks for the link. I'm going to run a fairly minimalist system. Not a ton of hard drives or anything. Seems I met the standard. VERY nice to know I have a fairly cheap upgrade path in SLI if need be.

vexvegaz

thanks Celcius, will try a suicide run this weekend with 5ghz and im sure i can hit that with 1.45 - 1.48 vcore.

kev, dont forget the psu is the most important part of your build, do not cut corners, buy the best psu you can afford.

kevm3

vexvegaz said:
thanks Celcius, will try a suicide run this weekend with 5ghz and im sure i can hit that with 1.45 - 1.48 vcore.

kev, dont forget the psu is the most important part of your build, do not cut corners, buy the best psu you can afford.

Yeah, I ended up buying a Seasonic X750... almost wishing I paid the extra 40 for an X850, but the 750 should be sufficient for now.

Z_Y

Dear PC GAF - I want some opinions on a possible rig and then I have a question...

ILKl1.jpg

I'm going to be putting this in the living room attached to a 720p plasma for some gaming and HTPC duties. My only goal is to get better performance than PS360...which I'm sure this does but I wouldn't mind spending a little more money if it nets be much better performance. I'm trying to keep this at $500 max. I chose this video card over an MSI card (MSI N460GTX CYCLONE) with faster clock speeds mainly because it was $80 cheaper. Was that a bad decision?

Also...this is my PSU: Antec SL450 450W ATX Power Supply

It is from a build many many moons ago. It looks like it hits the minimum required for that video card. Will I be ok?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
looks ok. Any bigger on the GPU-front and you'll be needing a new PSU. And if you're running on a 720p TV you don't need it other than just for AA etc which is overkill really.

if its for HTPC use and housed in your main lounge area, pay some attention on keeping it quiet. Replace the case fans with quiet ones, get a 3rd party heatsink with slow big fans on the CPU. Also consider a quieter PSU if your current one is noisy.

You don't necessarily need to quieten the GPU, as at idle it should be fairly quiet and only ramp up for gaming when a little extra noise won't be too bad.

kevm3

Is it worth getting a 32GB or so SSD just to use as a boot drive? What benefits will that give a system besides faster start-up times?

kevm3 said:
Is the seasonic X750 enough to run gtx 470s in sli?

Depends on what CPU, and how much you're going to overclock everything. Fermi I will suck down incredible amounts of juice if you OC it a lot. Same with a heavily OCed Core i7/i5 of any stripe. If you've got a lot of hard drives or other stuff, that will also increase your overall power draw.

Z_Y

mrklaw said:
looks ok. Any bigger on the GPU-front and you'll be needing a new PSU. And if you're running on a 720p TV you don't need it other than just for AA etc which is overkill really.

if its for HTPC use and housed in your main lounge area, pay some attention on keeping it quiet. Replace the case fans with quiet ones, get a 3rd party heatsink with slow big fans on the CPU. Also consider a quieter PSU if your current one is noisy.

You don't necessarily need to quieten the GPU, as at idle it should be fairly quiet and only ramp up for gaming when a little extra noise won't be too bad.

Thanks mrklaw!

Hey Z_Y,

Just FYI I think that you can pick up a Sapphire Radeon 5850 from Amazon or Tiger Direct for around $150. It's a considerably faster card. You would need to get a new PSU
(minimum 500 w I believe), but even with a new PSU you should be able to stay around $500.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Z_Y said:
I chose this video card over an MSI card (MSI N460GTX CYCLONE) with faster clock speeds mainly because it was $80 cheaper. Was that a bad decision?

I don't like that SE 460, but for the price it's tough to argue against. I think it basically has the shaders of a 768MB model, but the full 1GB of RAM, and cut down clock speeds. You're definitely losing out on some performance, but I wouldn't say it's $80 worth.

Something in between would probably be a better choice if you're willing to spend a little more. Like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

Edit: And is that RAM part of a combo? If not check this out, it's faster (1600 vs 1333, although the actual difference you see will be very small) and cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

kevm3 said:
Is it worth getting a 32GB or so SSD just to use as a boot drive? What benefits will that give a system besides faster start-up times?
Using an SSD for your OS only will make it a little snappier, along with faster booting (obviously). I wouldn't recommend going that route unless you get the drive dirt cheap, you're better off saving for a drive big enough to install most of your software on as well.

DangerStepp

I've decided to make the jump from my currect GeForce 9800 GTX+ to the RADEON 6870 in preparation for the Witcher 2.
At first I considered the GTX 460, but the price/value/performance lured me into looking at the Radeon 6850 and then New Egg had to go and have a deal so I looked into the 6870.

The price + rebate on New Egg (plus a copy of Shogun) is too good to pass up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=radeon_6870_1gb-_-14-161-349-_-Product

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions, concerns, please. Thanks!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
DangerStepp said:
I've decided to make the jump from my currect GeForce 9800 GTX+ to the RADEON 6870 in preparation for the Witcher 2.
At first I considered the GTX 460, but the price/value/performance lured me into looking at the Radeon 6850 and then New Egg had to go and have a deal so I looked into the 6870.

The price + rebate on New Egg (plus a copy of Shogun) is too good to pass up:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=radeon_6870_1gb-_-14-161-349-_-Product

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions, concerns, please. Thanks!

thats a great deal / card :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom