• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27690168#post27690168

·feist· said:
AP181s are the three 180mm fans at the base of your FT02.

You can use the y-splitter on the H70 fans and have both running off the CPU header. You won't get dedicated RPM readings for both fans, but they'll be spinning at about the same RPM, anyway.

I was saying that I wouldn't use a 3-pin to dual 3-pin y-splitter (fan heads on both ends) for the AP181s. Connect the three of them to that 3-way splitter, run the large white molex end into one of your PSU's free molex connectors to power all three intake fans. From there, control their speed using the switches up top:

WPsK8.png

CaLe said:
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on this build, any comments before I do so would be greatly appreciated :

Note: I will be re-using my current ATI 6870, unless you guys think it's too old to go with a system like this.

Intel Core i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68
Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 128GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps
Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System
Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer SATA OEM
NZXT Phantom EATX Steel Computer Case - White
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24PIN ATX 83A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 135mm Fan
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200 RPM

Total : 1 186$ CAD

Thanks again
Okay, I would get a different PSU first of all.

I would get this one: Corsair 750TXV2

Next, is there a reason why you want that Eco cooler? Are you going for a silent build? $80 is quite a bit of money. It's almost all you'd need to upgrade to a 2600K, for instance. I would go with a nice air cooler. Are you planning on overclocking a lot?

----crap, i have to run. i'll try to post later if i can.

blanky

How silent is the FT02? Compared to say the Fractal Design R3. I find the fortress very tempting, but I dont know whether to take that or the R3.

CaLe

opticalmace said:
Okay, I would get a different PSU first of all.

I would get this one: Corsair 750TXV2

Next, is there a reason why you want that Eco cooler? Are you going for a silent build? $80 is quite a bit of money. It's almost all you'd need to upgrade to a 2600K, for instance. I would go with a nice air cooler. Are you planning on overclocking a lot?

----crap, i have to run. i'll try to post later if i can.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Is there any particular reason you recommend this PSU ? Will 750W be future-proof if I want to crossfire or SLI ?

Also, the cooler is actually 35$, I was about to put it in my cart back when it was on sale and I still have a few days left for it at that price. But yeah, it's mostly for the noise and because I want to overclock the i5 :)

I hope I answered your questions, I'll take a look at that PSU

So extremely tempted to buy a new graphics card for TW2 and bf3...

Problem is I don't really have that much cash that I feel comfortable spending on a graphics card atm, and I doubt anything under 300 dollars is going to wow me coming from a hd4870 512MB.

Bring on a new gen (or some awesome price drops) already =(

edit: just saw a hd6950 for 199 euro on the website of my local pc site, jumped for joy then saw that it's the 1GB version, bummer.
Still, when did they drop so much in price? I thought even a 6870 was like 230 euros.

Hm, benchmarks claim it's twice as fast as a 4870 at 1080p resolutions.
What say you gaf? Anyone have experience with a powercolor hd6950 1GB?
http://www.power4pc.be/webshop/graf...on_hd_6950_1gb_grafische_kaart_r99fa-pi5.html

Just noticed it doesn't have the stock cooler either, double awesome.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
isoku said:
I have my gtx560 ti connected to one 6 pin pcie cable and one molex to pcie adapter. I didn't realize I had another 6 pin cable on my PSU until now. Should I switch the adapter for the 6 pin or does it not really matter?
I'd switch it. It shouldn't make a difference, but some PSU design is for that load to be on that line. Also one less piece that may come loose or have a problem.
Diseased Yak said:
So I'm in the early research/planning stages of building a new box. My last full build was in the fall of 2007 (Q6600, etc.) and then a GPU upgrade in April 2009 (upgraded to 4890).

Question: Is there any compelling reason to get a 2nd SSD to house my Steam folder?
Nope. Just make a symbolic link from C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps to your HDD so it doesn't take up space.
This way Steam launches fast and games don't take up space.
squicken said:
So is there a clear winner in the SATA 2 SSD market? Not going to be upgrading to SATA 3 anytime soon, so I was hoping there might be some good value in the 120GB market, but everything still seems >$200.
Intel 320 120GB is what I would go for. I have one myself.
CaLe said:
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull the trigger on this build, any comments before I do so would be greatly appreciated :

Note: I will be re-using my current ATI 6870, unless you guys think it's too old to go with a system like this.

Intel Core i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Z68
Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 128GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps
Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System
Samsung SH-S243D/BEBE 24X Black DVD Writer SATA OEM
NZXT Phantom EATX Steel Computer Case - White
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory
OCZ Z-SERIES 1000W 80+ Gold Certified 24PIN ATX 83A 12V Afc Modular Power Supply W/ 135mm Fan
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200 RPM

Total : 1 186$ CAD

Thanks again
Do you need that mobo over a P8P67 Pro? I don't think so.
Coolit system is pretty bad. I'd just buy a 212+ or another cooler you think looks nice (besides Zalman)
Make sure RAM is 1.5V
PSU is super overkill and not REALLY a 1000W gold. Get an AX850 or X850 at most.
RS4- said:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56151&vpn=GV-N460SO-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1026

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 Fermi 815MHZ 1GB for $129 with a $30 rebate. Not sure how this'll work out for non Canadians.

Now I'm not sure if I should just get this or stick with the 6950 which I guess would be a worthwhile upgrade for the next year or two even though I'd be paying double over the 460.
If you can afford it, spending more on a card with the same fps/$ is good.
SneakyStephan said:
So extremely tempted to buy a new graphics card for TW2 and bf3...

Problem is I don't really have that much cash that I feel comfortable spending on a graphics card atm, and I doubt anything under 300 dollars is going to wow me coming from a hd4870 512MB.

Bring on a new gen (or some awesome price drops) already =(

edit: just saw a hd6950 for 199 euro on the website of my local pc site, jumped for joy then saw that it's the 1GB version, bummer.
Still, when did they drop so much in price? I thought even a 6870 was like 230 euros.
New 560 (non-Ti) I think might fit that slot nicely.
From a 4870 to a GTX 570 is pretty apparent though: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=306

RS4-

Hazaro said:
If you can afford it, spending more on a card with the same fps/$ is good.

Thanks, the more I think about it, the more comfortable I am with choosing the 2GB 6950 over the 460.

Forkball

Ok, I'm trying to narrow down the parts I want for my new computer, but I need some advice from GAF. I want to build a pretty capable computer, something that could play The Witcher 2 and other graphically impressive titles later this year, but want to keep it around $1k. Going over is fine, but I don't want to hit $1.5k.

Video Card

I've got it down to:

SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($242)

GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($169)

XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($274)

HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($259)

The $169 card may be a stretch, but how capable is it? How do the other three compare to each other? Any other similar recommendations?

CPUs
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K ($314)

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600 ($299)

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400 ($189)

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960 ($289)

Thoughts on those? Any good (i.e. cheaper) alternatives?

Thanks a lot to whoever helps me. I am very computer challenged when it comes to picking out parts.

Thinking about a i5 2500k build. How unwise would it be to go with 2x 6870s in Crossfire over 1 of the 6950 and adding another one further down the line?

Prices were looking okay on the 6870 and the benchmarks on that card in CF looked pretty good.

Zinga

Banned
Forkball said:
Ok, I'm trying to narrow down the parts I want for my new computer, but I need some advice from GAF. I want to build a pretty capable computer, something that could play The Witcher 2 and other graphically impressive titles later this year, but want to keep it around $1k. Going over is fine, but I don't want to hit $1.5k.

Video Card

I've got it down to:

SAPPHIRE 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($242)

GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($169)

XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($274)

HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity ($259)

The $169 card may be a stretch, but how capable is it? How do the other three compare to each other? Any other similar recommendations?

CPUs
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K ($314)

Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600 ($299)

Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400 ($189)

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960 ($289)

Thoughts on those? Any good (i.e. cheaper) alternatives?

Thanks a lot to whoever helps me. I am very computer challenged when it comes to picking out parts.

Get a 2500k CPU as it will overclock like crazy and you can flash those 6950 2gb's into a 6970 as they are basically the same card :) you will have a beast of a system at a great pricepoint!

CaLe

Hazaro said:
Do you need that mobo over a P8P67 Pro? I don't think so.
Coolit system is pretty bad. I'd just buy a 212+ or another cooler you think looks nice (besides Zalman)
Make sure RAM is 1.5V
PSU is super overkill and not REALLY a 1000W gold. Get an AX850 or X850 at most.

Thanks alot man.

The reason why I want this mobo is for the Z68 chipset, which I plan to use in combination with the SSD for Smart Response (i.e: SSD caching). It`s also only around 30-40$ more, so it's not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things.

Would you have a link for a better cooler please ? I would appreciate it :)

Would a 850W PSU be futureproof if I want to SLI or crossfire ?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Most reference 6950 2GB's that can be flashed are sold out, you need to double check to get one that you can flash. (Like that XFX is the updated one that you can't).

Forkball post the rest of your build and fill out the form in the OP.
Easy first answer: 2500K + 6950 2GB

@letsbereasonable, lets be reasonable. If you have a 6870 now, just wait it out.
If you are buying a new GPU I'd get a 6950 2GB.
CaLe said:
Thanks alot man.

The reason why I want this mobo is for the Z68 chipset, which I plan to use in combination with the SSD for Smart Response (i.e: SSD caching). It`s also only around 30-40$ more, so it's not that big of a deal in the big scheme of things.

Would you have a link for a better cooler please ? I would appreciate it :)

Would a 850W PSU be futureproof if I want to SLI or crossfire ?
Ok, just so you know what you are looking for.

The best value is the CM 212 + which goes around $30 USD. It's very comparable to even the $50 coolers and is just very solid. If you want to spend more to get 3-5C cooler you can grab a Megahelms or Noctua D14 for $80 or so.

Those 850W I listed are very very good units (almost equiv to that 1000W you had) so, yes.

Hazaro said:
New 560 (non-Ti) I think might fit that slot nicely.
From a 4870 to a GTX 570 is pretty apparent though: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/304?vs=306

The cheapest 560 ti (is there even a non TI version? no google searches come up with anything and they aren't in the pc shop) is a whopping 25 euros more expensive, and quite a bit slower to boot.

I'm not willing to pay the nvidia premium (despite the usually better drivers) if it also means getting less performance.

The 570 is a 300+ euro card.

That 199 euro price for the hd6950 seems insane, I remember looking into this card when it was released and not being interested because it was too expensive for what it was.

I'm more interested in info on noise/reliability info for that specific powercolor card if any other gaffers have it.
That and if there is any reason not to get the 1GB version (I'm not interested in the lack of unlock potential considering the good price for this card).

I would be gaming in 1600x1200 res, and will never crossfire.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah, non USA prices on nVidia usually aren't so good.

I can't tell you comparable prices, so it's up to you to find out what works at what price for you.

The 6950 isn't a bad card in 1GB.

Cday

Banned
If anyone was curious about SSDs and laptops/netbooks I recently took advantage of the $99 C300 sale on newegg and slapped it in my HP dm1z netbook.

bvX3s.jpg

Nothing can be done about the low write times but I can't think of a single better way to improve a laptop/netbook experience.

Compared with the 128gb version I have in my desktop hooked up to a p8p67 pro

ExVrJ.jpg

Diseased Yak said:
So anyone see a benefit in locating my Steam games on, say, an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, as opposed to a Samsung F3? Would I see that much of a gain?

Yes, some games more than others. For example when you start a game of Civ 5 the narrator will read a couple paragraphs about whatever leader you chose and on a regular hard drive he would be almost finished by the time the game loads. On an SSD he maybe gets 1 or 2 sentences in. Another example is when Valve games like Portal 2 and Half Life 2 have those abrupt load messages that pop up. They're pretty much instant loads. On the flip side I don't see much if any improvement with The Witcher.

CaLe

Hazaro said:
Ok, just so you know what you are looking for.

The best value is the CM 212 + which goes around $30 USD. It's very comparable to even the $50 coolers and is just very solid. If you want to spend more to get 3-5C cooler you can grab a Megahelms or Noctua D14 for $80 or so.

Those 850W I listed are very very good units (almost equiv to that 1000W you had) so, yes.

Thanks again for the input.

I also checked the RAM, and it is indeed 1.5 Volts. Why is this important.. ? I'm just curious and want to learn.

Also, I can't seem to find the X850 PSU. Is it the SeaSonic ?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58217&vpn=X-850 Gold&manufacture=Seasonic Electronics

I'll probably just choose the AX850, unless there's a major difference between the two.

The Corsair 750TXV2 looked nice too (and is cheaper than all of them), but I'm just afraid that it won't be enough in the long run.

I also can't find the CM 212, both on newegg and NCIX, maybe I didn't search correctly..

MSIMagus

Neo Member
So I have needed a new PC for some months now. I have been trying to wait as long as possible to build a new one so I could get the newest tech and stretch this new PC as long as possible(especially since I am going to try and wait several years to buy a new console next gen).

That said I think its getting close to the time I am going to cave. My question is, do you think its worth it to wait for bulldozer to come out to buy/build a new PC? Anyone betting that bulldozer will either be better then sandy bridge or drive the price down on sandy bridge? Any other big events coming up where I may be able to catch a new PC at a reduced cost? I am just debating if I want to build it in the next month or two or try and push it off another 4-6 months.

Forkball

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Laptop
Budget: Around $1k, USA
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: Aiming for 1920×1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: Now
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Here's my list. What am I missing? What should I take out? Any good (i.e. cheaper) alternatives. Don't worry about monitor/speakers. I kinda want to keep it at this price if not cheaper, so try not to recommend something that makes it more expensive unless it's absolutely necessary. Much appreciated.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
@Forkball: For $1000 a i5 2500k is your best bet for a CPU, and a 2GB 6950. New ones don't unlock into 6970s as far as I know, but the 6950 is still a nice card on it's own. I'd probably get that XFX one, it's $5 more than the HIS and has a lifetime warranty. I've had both of those brands and never had a problem with either card though.

Edit: Get a 212 Plus CPU cooler from Amazon, it's better and cheaper than it is from Newegg.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YPH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
(Was $27, went up..)

That DVD drive is IDE, make sure you get a SATA drive.

Your build is going to have dual channel RAM, so you should get a set with two sticks. That's also 1333 RAM, 1600 will be marginally faster for the same price (or less.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

I would also recommend this combo for a PSU+HDD. It comes out to like a dollar or two more after rebate but both components are better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.638507

I'm also not sure about that case. I'd look into something different. If you want something cheapish maybe the HAF 912.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf 912

Finally, do you know anybody going to school or with a .edu email address? Somebody else could probably help more than me, but you can get Win7 cheaper.

MSIMagus said:
So I have needed a new PC for some months now. I have been trying to wait as long as possible to build a new one so I could get the newest tech and stretch this new PC as long as possible(especially since I am going to try and wait several years to buy a new console next gen).

That said I think its getting close to the time I am going to cave. My question is, do you think its worth it to wait for bulldozer to come out to buy/build a new PC? Anyone betting that bulldozer will either be better then sandy bridge or drive the price down on sandy bridge? Any other big events coming up where I may be able to catch a new PC at a reduced cost? I am just debating if I want to build it in the next month or two or try and push it off another 4-6 months.
Nobody really knows how Bulldozer is going to turn out yet. Some benches make it look really impressive and others leave you skeptical.

I don't think I've seen anybody recommend this on here, but if you are building a PC and don't need it right now, then the best method is probably to watch for deals on components. I helped Schmattakopf with his PC and he bought parts over a period of a month or two and got some really great deals.

knitoe

momolicious said:
Is intel going to release a faster quad core processor later on more than 3.2ghz stock?
I wouldn't be surprise if Intel just takes a 2500/2600 increase the multiplier and call it a 2550/2650. Thus, why wait when you can do it yourself right now.

Is it ok to put a HDD all the way on the bottom of a case.The fan is not going to be directly in front of it,HDD will be lower. Will that be bad for a HDD?

The final build! Still need to do a bit of wire management, but here she is.

IMG_3843.jpg

I know it looks poorly ventilated, but the rig is actually pretty far from the wall, and the window allows a cool breeze to come in.

Thanks again to all who helped. You guys are awesome.

Smokey

blanky said:
How silent is the FT02? Compared to say the Fractal Design R3. I find the fortress very tempting, but I dont know whether to take that or the R3.

Besides my H70 fans, the FT02 is very quiet. Even my no nothing friend who was over the other day made a comment on how quiet the computer was.

Teknopathetic said:
Buy a fan controller like this. Note, I don't actually know if that's a good fan controller or not, just giving you an idea of what kind of product you'd be looking for.

Other than that, use the switches on top of the case for "low" and "high" mode.

Thanks. That actually looks pretty sweet. Will need to do some research on these things.

Hazaro said:

What do you mean it's not REALLY a 1000w Gold? False advertisement ftw?

·feist· said:

Yeah that's what I use now. Guess I worded my original question wrong. If I wanted all of the fans to show up in the BIOS (where I can control fan speed etc), what would I need to do.

Hope this is the right spot for this question: my current system sports a GTS 250 and one of the old first series AMD Phenoms, a quad-core at 2.2 GHz. It's not a great system by any means, but it gets significantly better performance than a console.

I've been thinking of upgrading the card, but is the processor going to be too much of a bottleneck for it to be worthwhile? Or will it depend on the the game? For example, the Witcher 2 is supposed to make use of all four cores, so would a new card make a difference there, but not in games that don't support multi-threading? Input would be appreciated!

I originally had it on the floor but was afraid of insufficient airflow, it being in the corner and under the desk and all.

But if you guys think it should be okay, than the floor it is.

RS4-

So this is the image the seller sent in re: to the GPU; anything I can look at physically to make sure it's the reference 6950 card I can flash? From what I gather it's the dual bios switch, the red fans/coolers that are the real signs. Anything else?

http://i.imgur.com/0Gd9L.jpg

You have a huge tower case and the underside of the desk is not closed off, you'll be fine.

Worst thing could happen if that your pc throttles the fans up on a hot day or very maybe shuts down if temps get too high.
If you had a cramped case and/or poor ventilation, which you don't.

Hot air rises anyway, the closer to the ceiling your case is the higher the room temperature will be.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
CaLe said:
Thanks again for the input.

I also checked the RAM, and it is indeed 1.5 Volts. Why is this important.. ? I'm just curious and want to learn.

Also, I can't seem to find the X850 PSU. Is it the SeaSonic ?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58217&vpn=X-850 Gold&manufacture=Seasonic Electronics

I'll probably just choose the AX850, unless there's a major difference between the two.
When DDR3 came out it was mainly 1.65V or 1.6V. It's preferred to run 1.5V on the intel systems now, hence the rebranding of some sets as 'P67 Compatable' to help people know.
Yes, that Seasonic is the one. AX or X will both be solid.
Forkball said:
Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Laptop
Budget: Around $1k, USA
Main Use: Gaming, general usage
Monitor Resolution: Aiming for 1920×1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3
Are reusing any parts?: Nope.
When will you build?: Now
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

Here's my list. What am I missing? What should I take out? Any good (i.e. cheaper) alternatives. Don't worry about monitor/speakers. I kinda want to keep it at this price if not cheaper, so try not to recommend something that makes it more expensive unless it's absolutely necessary. Much appreciated.
Yikes!
I'd just take the build in the OP and change the mobo to an MSI 45 / 55 / 65 depending on your needs and budget. The LE is gimped for overclocking (Can't in BIOS).
If you are going 1 card you can get the Seasonic 520w. Otherwise I'd get a 750W V2 in OP.
Syphon Filter said:
Is it ok to put a HDD all the way on the bottom of a case.The fan is not going to be directly in front of it,HDD will be lower. Will that be bad for a HDD?
Fine as long as you have airflow in the case.
DoctorPayne said:
Hope this is the right spot for this question: my current system sports a GTS 250 and one of the old first series AMD Phenoms, a quad-core at 2.2 GHz. It's not a great system by any means, but it gets significantly better performance than a console.

I've been thinking of upgrading the card, but is the processor going to be too much of a bottleneck for it to be worthwhile? Or will it depend on the the game? For example, the Witcher 2 is supposed to make use of all four cores, so would a new card make a difference there, but not in games that don't support multi-threading? Input would be appreciated!
I'd look at upgrading CPU first. The first batch of Phenoms were not the greatest. At the frames the 250 is putting out it might help... You'll need to boost both eventually though :)
It REALLY depends on the game and settings though.

SneakyStephan said:
You have a huge tower case and the underside of the desk is not closed off, you'll be fine.

Worst thing could happen if that your pc throttles the fans up on a hot day or very maybe shuts down if temps get too high.
If you had a cramped case and/or poor ventilation, which you don't.

Hot air rises anyway, the closer to the ceiling your case is the higher the room temperature will be.

Done. Makes sense.

Looks better on the floor, anyway. Thanks all!

Coldsnap

canon_hf100_review_hdmi_adapter.jpg

Is this my only option when connecting my MSI GTX 560 to my plasma through HDMI? The one that came with my gpu was a really tight fit because of my case (or any case from what i could imagine) and I had to strip off the plastic stuff to get it to work. Now though without the plastic stuff it is very loose and a mild bump it will loose picture... really annoying.

knitoe

Smokey said:
A little dissapointed that I seem to only be able to reach 4.6 ghz on my 2600k

:(
What did you expect? 4.8 and above requires very high CPU voltage => high temps. If you want to try, start your CPU voltage at 1.45V, above 1.50V is normal, and enable Internal PLL.

Smokey said:

What were you really expecting? Also what do you need above a 4.6oc for?

So many games are gpu dependent at this point.

Enjoy your games and new machine. I wouldn't focus on the numbers game on the first few days of ownership.

Maybe try the 212 cooler to push your OC higher? I have the 2600k but haven't pushed the OC yet as everything has run great! Well see what happens when BF3 gets here. I expect it to be extremely optimized ala crysis 2.

Smokey said:

I did cartwheels when I oc'ed my phenom II 720BE to 3.4 ghz on air just 3 years ago.

Kid's these days *shakes fist and mumbles at clouds*

My turn to ask questions.

Current situation:
Antec sonata II case with the built in 500 Watt psu (don't start, it has worked fine, just the fan is a little loud from vibration).

Object of interest : HD 6950 1GB

Questions :
-will it fit? (I hear the 69xx have long pcbs?)

-Is my psu sufficient (please let it be).

In the reviews I read it said 312 watt peak load for the whole pc, measured at the socket.

So I'm guessing it should be after accounting for efficiency?
I only have a 3 core phenom II cpu, 1 HDD and even if the psu was only rated 70 percent efficiency I should be in the clear, right?
If I have to upgrade my psu I'm not upgrading at all.

Hazaro said:
I'd look at upgrading CPU first. The first batch of Phenoms were not the greatest. At the frames the 250 is putting out it might help... You'll need to boost both eventually though :)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Does anyone have the GTX 460 SE? It's the gimped version of the regular 460 card (less cores or something). It's on sale right now on Amazon for $109 with rebates, which is about a hundred dollars less than the standard 460. Worth it? Or crap card?

Hazaro said:

95 percent sure I saw a bunch of benchmarks less than a month ago testing a bunch of newer and older cpus, showing the first phenoms (the quad cores at least) not bottlenecking most new games. (sc2 and maybe 1-2 others being the exception).

Framerates were pretty much identical on all ahtlon II , phenom x4, Phenom II's, core2quads and core 2 duos above a decent clockspeed treshold.

I don't have the link anymore to prove it though.
Perhaps I'm confusing it with the old core2quads, but I'm pretty sure the phenom x4 was included in the positive results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom