• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokey said:
16GB is complete overkill. If this is for gaming I'd just take it down to 8GB.

As for the H70...I own one and while it looks cool the fan is a bit noisy. It's also not getting the temps I was expecting (right now at idle it's going from 30-35 on my i7 2600k). Not to mention it was a BITCH for me to install. Looks cool though.

Why is this by design? It sort of annoys me when mine does it. What advantage does double posting give?

30-35c is great for idle.

TrounceX

Aselith said:
Just to be sure...look at the end of the cable where it plugs into the TV/PC and make sure it is 125V 10A. That's what a PC cord would be. If that matches, you'll be fine. It should be on the end on the face of it.

Thanks man I really appreciate it. Just didn't want to mess up my brand new computer that cost a fortune.

Chris_C

So... can anyone tell me whether trying to unlock the additional two cores on my XII 555 using the BIOS poses any actual risks?

Also, can I unlock just one core? Do I have to unlock them both? I mean, what if only one of the two redundant cores works? Can I activate that core alone?

Lastly, how do I know that I have defective cores?

EDIT: Never mind, did some research and found my answers.

After experiencing the joys of SSD in my gaming box, I'm seriously thinking of getting an SSD for my media center PC too. It would be a smaller one since it would only need to have the OS and various media tools, so I'm thinking 64GB would be appropriate there. My gaming box has the Intel 510 series 120GB SSD in it at the moment. So if anybody spots an SSD deal, please post it!

Jeramii

Banned
OK another question... this should be easy! (and thanks to everyone who has helped me thus far).

what are some must own games for my new pc? (building it this weekend).

so far i've got some games on PC. but i've only played them on the lowest settings on my macbook pro using bootcamp. so i can finally play these in more in high or higher settings!

starcraft II
l4d1&2
cs:source
amnesia
portal 1 & 2
tf2
crysis 1 and warhead (own 2 on ps3)
fallout 3
all half life games....
the witcher (never played it yet, but i have it)

now what else!? i'm looking at the witcher 2, shogun 2, and gta iv (since it is supposedly better on pc). i don't spent much time on gaming gaf, so if there is a dedicated thread for this kind of stuff, i apologize for going to the wrong place. you guys have been awesome thus far so i just want to ask.

Cdammen

Jeramii said:
now what else!?
Not the most hardware demanding game...

King's Bounty STEAM / GOG
Heroes of Might and Magic style SRPG with a lot of charm. Not the technically most impressive graphics but the artstyle is awesome and it has got that "just one more turn" thing going on. Beware! :)

(EDIT) If you want something that will really stress test your PC then play Metro 2033 STEAM.

Jeramii

Banned
Cdammen said:
Not the most hardware demanding game...

King's Bounty STEAM / GOG
Heroes of Might and Magic style SRPG with a lot of charm. Not the technically most impressive graphics but the artstyle is awesome and it has got that "just one more turn" thing going on. Beware! :)

Never heard of it I'll for sure check it out. Thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
Positive karma to anyone who feels like answering these questions. I'm thinking about buying this videocard. It's a Radeon 5670.

This is what my PC currently has in it:
  • 8GB Corsair XMS2 RAM
  • Q9300 @2.50 GHz (not OC'd)
  • NForce 730i motherboard
  • coolmax 700W PSU

Am I looking at a good fit? Is ~$100 kind of a waste of money for the performance I'd get out of it? Do you know of a better card in this price range? Thanks a bunch in advance for any help. I can really only pay you in Minecraft materials for your answer lol.

Grinchy said:
Positive karma to anyone who feels like answering these questions. I'm thinking about buying this videocard. It's a Radeon 5670.

This is what my PC currently has in it:
  • 8GB Corsair XMS2 RAM
  • Q9300 @2.50 GHz (not OC'd)
  • NForce 730i motherboard
  • coolmax 700W PSU

Am I looking at a good fit? Is ~$100 kind of a waste of money for the performance I'd get out of it? Do you know of a better card in this price range? Thanks a bunch in advance for any help. I can really only pay you in Minecraft materials for your answer lol.
I would probably do this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482
Use code XFXVC517 for $40 off. Has $30 mail in rebate. Total cost $46 (or whatever depending on tax, after rebate) and you get a card faster than the 5670.

I don't know if the 5670 has new features or whatever though. But I would probably do this.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Grinchy

Banned
opticalmace said:
I would probably do this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150482
Use code XFXVC517 for $40 off. Has $30 mail in rebate. Total cost $46 (or whatever depending on tax, after rebate) and you get a card faster than the 5670.

I don't know if the 5670 has new features or whatever though. But I would probably do this.
Dude...thanks so much!!

It seems like the consensus everywhere is that the 4850 is the better card anyway. And for $46 after rebate compared to $100 after rebate?? I think this is a no-brainer.

Looks like I get to do some PC gaming without lowering every setting for framerate soon. Can't thank you enough! *Edit: Fucking ordered!

Grinchy said:
Dude...thanks so much!!

It seems like the consensus everywhere is that the 4850 is the better card anyway. And for $46 after rebate compared to $100 after rebate?? I think this is a no-brainer.

Looks like I get to do some PC gaming without lowering every setting for framerate soon. Can't thank you enough!
Sure no prob. I don't know what res you're gaming at but a 4850 will be good for 1680x1050 gaming. I had a 4870 and I could nearly max most games at 1920x1200.

Since you're looking in the $100 range a 4850 is a good choice, especially at half off. :p

Grinchy

Banned
I built this PC 2 years ago and I've been gaming with the integrated card on my nforce 730i. This is going to be like NASA level compared to what I've been doing.

What do you reckon I should sell my current PC for? Its a Phenom II X4 940 Black, 4890 1gb, 4 gig ram, WD caviar black 640gb Hard drive, Thermaltake Ultra Rev 2 CPU cooler, and an Antec 200 case, with windows 7 64 bit.

pseudocaesar said:
What do you reckon I should sell my current PC for? Its a Phenom II X4 940 Black, 4890 1gb, 4 gig ram, WD caviar black 640gb Hard drive, Thermaltake Ultra Rev 2 CPU cooler, and an Antec 200 case, with windows 7 64 bit.
Maybe $450? What PSU?

I'm just kind of guessing though. I haven't looked at the used market.

Edit: well you can probably get someone to pay more... depends if you're selling on craigslist or to people who are in the know lol.

opticalmace said:
Maybe $450? What PSU?

I'm just kind of guessing though. I haven't looked at the used market.

Edit: well you can probably get someone to pay more... depends if you're selling on craigslist or to people who are in the know lol.
Sorry I should have mentioned im Australian. I also have an Arctic Cooling Fusion 550W psu.

Yurt said:
Opticalmace you seem a bit helpful :p

I'm going to the store in 30 minutes can you help out.
Hope I can, but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

You're comparing an IGP intel board with no overclocking to an AMD board and you're talking about the witcher?

What are your system specs right now? Budget? etc

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Haha yeah I'm daft with PCs sorry.

I'm not in the US so prices will vary, greatly :(

current: Rampage formula Core 2 due 3.0, 9600 GT 1GB.

I already bought a radeon 6950, and it took most of my money mind you lol.

The technician offered to buy my mobo, processor and the 9600 for $155. and I'll probably go for it because I really have no use for them.

I wasn't sure which mobo to get. or I if I should go for phentom 2 or the i5.

Got an interesting offer for my old G60JX gaming laptop on Craigslist. I have it posted up for $650 and some guy sent me this email:

Interested in a 2 month old newegg built PC? AMD 3.55ghz quad, water cooler heatsink, 60gb ocz vertex 2 ssd, radeon 6850, 4gb ddr3 memory, gigabyte USB 3.0 sata 6gbps etc. Its pretty well built with an all black inside and out, expensive mid tower. I can forward you the invoice with specific parts. It runs perfect, I just would prefer a laptop for LAN parties and such. I spent $1100 on it just 2 months ago. Lemme know if interested, thanks!

Anyone know how much a rig like that is really worth? I pieced together a cheap system on Newegg with the sameish parts and it came out to $850~Would trading a laptop worth $650 for a system like that be a decent deal? I could probably even get him to throw in $100 cash on top. It would be used as a complement to my G73 gaming laptop.

Only thing that worries me is that (to me) custom built computers lose a huge amount of their value quickly and that it's essentially worth nothing since I'm not sure how viable a system like that would be for resale, whereas it's pretty easy to sell a gaming laptop for straight cash since they're pretty high in demand.

Also, Bulldozer debuts next month and I'm wondering if buying any AMD/Intel gaming PC at this point would be a mistake since A. prices will drop and/or B. Bulldozer will blow Phenom II and (possibly) Sandy Bridge out of the water and have great pricing.

cackhyena

Could use help, guys. I plan on getting a whole new set up for the most part down the line, am just waiting for some price drops on the current crop of items I'm looking at. I have some questions regarding what I may or may not need. Feel free to say, I don't need this or that would work better with that other thing...I don't know. Processor is one area I'm not sure about. Do i really need an i7, or is it not really worth it, and should I just be looking at an i5? I would eventually like some games like The Witcher 2, so I would game to a degree on this thing.

Processor:Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K
by Intel

Motherboard:...I have no idea what i should be getting

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI​-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312SR

Power Supply: Would be taking my current 750 watt Corsair for the new rig.

HDD: Have a new Intel 120gb SSD in my setup now. Would take that as well, most likely as my main hdd, still.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=Fractal_design_R3-_-11-352-004-_-Product

This has been the case that's looked most appealing to me after seeing Jeff Gerstman's build being put together on Tested.com

After this, I'm not sure what else I need. I have this cooler in my list, but I don't know if it's necessary.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YPH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The processor and mootherboard are my main questions, though.

cackhyena said:
Could use help, guys. I plan on getting a whole new set up for the most part down the line, am just waiting for some price drops on the current crop of items I'm looking at. I have some questions regarding what I may or may not need. Feel free to say, I don't need this or that would work better with that other thing...I don't know. Processor is one area I'm not sure about. Do i really need an i7, or is it not really worth it, and should I just be looking at an i5? I would eventually like some games like The Witcher 2, so I would game to a degree on this thing.

Processor:Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600K
by Intel

Motherboard:...I have no idea what i should be getting

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI​-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312SR

Power Supply: Would be taking my current 750 watt Corsair for the new rig.

HDD: Have a new Intel 120gb SSD in my setup now. Would take that as well, most likely as my main hdd, still.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=Fractal_design_R3-_-11-352-004-_-Product

This has been the case that's looked most appealing to me after seeing Jeff Gerstman's build being put together on Tested.com

After this, I'm not sure what else I need. I have this cooler in my list, but I don't know if it's necessary.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002G1YPH0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The processor and mootherboard are my main questions, though.

Get the 2500K (i5), it overclocks amazingly well (4.5 Ghz with no effort) and you really don't need an i7. It's just a waste of $100.

Graphics card choice is good, anything more and it'll be a big waste of money in terms of performance/$ ratio.

Opinions differ on Mobos, but I'm a big fan of Asus, Gigabyte and AsRock. YMMV

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
BOOBPHYSICS101.

latest news. I can afford an i5 2500.

so you say I should go for the Asus mobo you recommended ?

Yurt said:
BOOBPHYSICS101.

latest news. I can afford an i5 2500.

so you say I should go for the Asus mobo you recommended ?

Yeah. The i5 2500K (gotta be a K) and it has to be a P67 motherboard, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131705

P67 + K Series Sandy Bridge = overclocking bliss. 4-4.5Ghz is a cinch, and 5 Ghz can be reached with some effort. It's mostly for shits and giggles, because no game really needs more than a 3 Ghz quad-core at this point... Battlefield 3 might change that, but I doubt it.

If you'd like to save money and still get great performance, get a Phenom II X4. But if you want CPU power to spare, get a 2500K and overclock that beast.

Finally, because you said my username in all caps as if summoning some lusty, wretched demon, I bless you with this gif:

bubd.gif

cackhyena

BoobPhysics101 said:
Get the 2500K (i5), it overclocks amazingly well (4.5 Ghz with no effort) and you really don't need an i7. It's just a waste of $100.

Graphics card choice is good, anything more and it'll be a big waste of money in terms of performance/$ ratio.

Opinions differ on Mobos, but I'm a big fan of Asus, Gigabyte and AsRock. YMMV
Cool, thanks. Now if I don't overclock ( never have, probably still won't) is the 2500 still the way to go?

cackhyena said:
Cool, thanks. Now if I don't overclock ( never have, probably still won't) is the 2500 still the way to go?

If you don't overclock (AND YOU SHOULD, YOU BIG DUMMY), get a regular Sandy Bridge Core i5 or an AMD Phenom X4 and you'll be happy.

cackhyena

But PCs blowing up and stuff.

I'm looking to future proof as well, that's why I was looking at i7, I guess. Is it a waste to get the 15 2500k if I don't overclock, then? That was my first choice before latching onto i7. These things are crazy confusing for a non techy.

cackhyena said:
But PCs blowing up and stuff.

I'm looking to future proof as well, that's why I was looking at i7, I guess. Is it a waste to get the 15 2500k if I don't overclock, then? That was my first choice before latching onto i7. These things are crazy confusing for a non techy.

Yes, it's a waste if you don't overclock. K series is made for overclocking, period. Being afraid of overclocking is like being afraid of adding horsepower to an engine... it's not gonna blow unless you do something stupid.

Yurt said:
so I can't oc on the intel DH67cL ? :(

No, K series only overclocks on P67 motherboards.

cackhyena

Alright, maybe I'd try it out with this build. Is it a simple process?

Also, completely forgot to add memory to the list. Any recommendations on that front for this particular build? Thanks.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
alright I'll go for the Asus p67 then. Another stupid question, I have a 550w tr2. Is it enough if I decide to OC ?

Fernicia

Neo Member
Been lurking here for a while and my money just came through. Would anyone in the know mind giving some advice/suggestions for my planned build?
pccomponenys.png

Budget is about 1000 euro. Is this any good?

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: I've been using a laptop for years unfortunately. (so no prev computer)
Budget: 900-1000 euro, Ireland
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 is the monitor I've planned to buy
SPECIFIC games: Crysis 1 and 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2
Are reusing any parts?: Unfortunately I have no parts to reuse. Not even a monitor
When will you build?: Hopefully before the end of June. Planning on early/mid June right now.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
BoobPhysics101 said:
Got an interesting offer for my old G60JX gaming laptop on Craigslist. I have it posted up for $650 and some guy sent me this email:

Anyone know how much a rig like that is really worth? I pieced together a cheap system on Newegg with the sameish parts and it came out to $850~Would trading a laptop worth $650 for a system like that be a decent deal? I could probably even get him to throw in $100 cash on top. It would be used as a complement to my G73 gaming laptop.

Only thing that worries me is that (to me) custom built computers lose a huge amount of their value quickly and that it's essentially worth nothing since I'm not sure how viable a system like that would be for resale, whereas it's pretty easy to sell a gaming laptop for straight cash since they're pretty high in demand.

Also, Bulldozer debuts next month and I'm wondering if buying any AMD/Intel gaming PC at this point would be a mistake since A. prices will drop and/or B. Bulldozer will blow Phenom II and (possibly) Sandy Bridge out of the water and have great pricing.
With a Phenom II and 6850, that PC will probably depreciate relatively fast. That's a pretty nice machine right now but you probably won't get much of anything when you resell it.

I'd see what kind of case, PSU, cooling and other more long term parts it has, since those could just be reused later instead of selling off the whole thing. If those are good, quality components then it might be worth it since you'll save some money next time you build and you'll have a nice PC until then.

And regarding Bulldozer, there are only a few things that could realistically happen.
1) Bulldozer is a disappointment, like the first Phenoms. In that case, they should be relatively cheap and drop even lower pretty fast.
2) Bulldozer is as good or slightly better than Sandy Bridge. It will probably be priced on par with Intel's current CPUs so you'll get similar or slightly better performance for the price.
3) Bulldozer blows away Sandy Bridge. Unlikely, but if it happens don't expect the processors to be cheap. AMD is only cheap right now because they don't have the hardware to sell for more. Back during the FX days, they had some pretty expensive parts.

cackhyena said:
Looks good for the price, I doubt you'll find any 1600 RAM for $75 or less.

ClueLess

Neo Member
Would upgrading from an Athlon II X4 processor to one of the Phenom II processors get me a noticeable performance boost or would I be better off just overclocking my current processor ? And how far can I overclock using the stock cooler ?

CrankyJay

Banned
ConvenientBox said:
OK got all my parts yesterday and put it all together, installed win7 and it's comfortably buzzing away :)

i7 2600k
asus sabertooth
12gb ram
asus 6870
Fractal Define R3 case which i LOVE, go sweden go!

http://i.min.us/kwcuU.jpg

I'm still a computer n00b, but isn't the RAM dual channel on the p67 boards? Is there a RAM configuration that will let you do 12GB?

cbox

There is, but I have 3 sticks so it's not running dual channel. I'm a noob myself when it comes to 3 sticks but it seems to run nice and fast

What's everyone's opinions on the i3 2100 for gaming? I've read benchmarks that show better performance than Phenom II X4's, but I wanted to get feedback from others. I'm considering getting one with a P67 board with the idea that I may upgrade to a i5 2500k in the future (I can't afford the extra cost right now).

I'm also considering getting a Phenom x4 955 BE (as they're only $120 at Newegg) with an AM3+ board with the idea of eventually upgrading down the line. Also, is there any kind market in used cpu's?

Sanjay

Fernicia said:
Been lurking here for a while and my money just came through. Would anyone in the know mind giving some advice/suggestions for my planned build?
pccomponenys.png

Budget is about 1000 euro. Is this any good?

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: I've been using a laptop for years unfortunately. (so no prev computer)
Budget: 900-1000 euro, Ireland
Main Use: Gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 is the monitor I've planned to buy
SPECIFIC games: Crysis 1 and 2, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Bad Company 2
Are reusing any parts?: Unfortunately I have no parts to reuse. Not even a monitor
When will you build?: Hopefully before the end of June. Planning on early/mid June right now.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe (This means yes)

Should really add a SSD if you can stretch it.
2u6lq4m.png

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $204.99

CORSAIR Professional Series AX850 850W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $182.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K $314.99

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive 2x@$64.99 = $129.98

Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $179.99

MSI N580GTX Lightning GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $525.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL $94.99

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler $89.99

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM $11.98

Total: $1942.88

Ok, made some revisions. Took out 6970, put in GTX 580, thought maybe I'd try Nvidia for a change. Removed H70, put in air cooling supreme along with some Arctic Silver. Changed to 8GB due to pitchfork mob advice. Swapped in snazzy white case.

Thoughts? Once again, want to be able to game on it for a few years at least. Will be running it at 1920x1080. Will be overclocking to within an inch of its life. Prices are all newegg, will of course shop around, and not listing a bunch of quiet case fans that I'll be chunking in.

Diseased Yak said:
Thoughts? Once again, want to be able to game on it for a few years at least. Will be running it at 1920x1080. Will be overclocking to within an inch of its life. Prices are all newegg, will of course shop around, and not listing a bunch of quiet case fans that I'll be chunking in.

The thermal compound that comes with the D14 is said to be better than AS5, so no need to buy that.

ClueLess

Neo Member
PolishQ said:
Quick question: Windows 7 Home Premium or Win 7 Professional?

Home Premium should be good enough, but if you want the extra networking features and be able to run programs in XP mode, go for the Pro version.

knitoe

ConvenientBox said:
There is, but I have 3 sticks so it's not running dual channel. I'm a noob myself when it comes to 3 sticks but it seems to run nice and fast
It's better to add another stick or remove one. Dual to single channel is a big performance hit unless you are doing something that requires >8GB ram.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
ClueLess said:
Would upgrading from an Athlon II X4 processor to one of the Phenom II processors get me a noticeable performance boost or would I be better off just overclocking my current processor ? And how far can I overclock using the stock cooler ?
Overclock, but don't use the stock cooler. Phenom II and Athlon II are the same thing, but the Phenoms have L3 cache.

And the stock cooler is adequate for stock speeds. If you want to OC definitely get another cooler unless you live in Siberia or something.

PolishQ said:
Quick question: Windows 7 Home Premium or Win 7 Professional?
Almost certainly Home Premium.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

The only thing that will likely stand out is XP Mode, but between the compatibility settings in Home Premium and the fact most software now has a Vista/7 version, it's really not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom