• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike23

Just saw this on Uncrate. Is this the worst deal ever or what?

Q8WIe.jpg

http://www.darwinmachine.com/products.htm#hmr
Hammerhead HMR989 specs:

CNC brushed and anodized aircraft aluminum frame 16"H x 18"L x 10"W(with cpu fan)
Ecoresin panels with Mil-Spec quick release system(motherboard side only)
GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz CPU
4 Gb ram
1 40 gb Intel solid state disk drive
1 1 Tb front loaded "hot-swappable" hard drive
1 extra hot-swap tray for a second hard drive
nVidia ENGTX550 TI graphics card
Optical CD/DVD drive
750W modular power supply
Windows 7 64-bit Home premium
Lifetime warranty on all non-electrical chassis components
$2950.00 + Shipping.

Basically paying $2000+ for the case. It's a cool case, but come on. They could at least try to justify the cost a little bit.

Hazaro said:
Where did you find that specific info on the integrated part? Or what did you search for?
A quick google search came up with impressions, issues and any lack of features.

@mike nvm that's actually the psu , didn't see the power chord.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SneakyStephan said:
A quick google search came up with impressions, issues and any lack of features.

@mike nvm that's actually the psu , didn't see the power chord.
What did you actually type? If I may ask.

Hey GAF are these temperatures and fan speeds legit? and is that my GPU temperatures at the bottom there? the ones in (61C) etc.

I'm new at this and I think I might just fuck up my PC before the weekend if I keep messing about.

unled1rh.jpg

Also I hope I installed my GPU correctly

It requires two six pin power plugs in the back...it came with what's pictured on the far left,

(There was a free six pin square plug like that coming out of my PSU... but it was all tied up to a knot and I didn't feel like untying and making a cable mess inside my case, instead...)

I used the "adapters" that came with my GPU... I plugged both of those to a loose white 3 pin plugs I found kicking about inside my case, I traced them back and I am pretty sure they were coming from the PSU.

did I do this right? I guess I have to plug both of those 3 pins and plug it at the back of the GPU? I noticed both of the fans on my GPU are spinning so, I guess I did it right? Sorry I am really new and stupid with Computers.

Can a GPU with Fans still operate it's fans without power cables supplied to it? it cannot use the PCI express board as power supply can it? :p

unle.jpg

Hazaro said:
What did you actually type? If I may ask.
I thought those tubes lead to a heatsink and fan meaning it had watercooling.

Which would add a few 100 bucks to the cost.
Still expensive as hell then but the design would have been double awesome then.

But it's just a psu so whatever.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
SneakyStephan said:
I thought those tubes lead to a heatsink and fan meaning it had watercooling.

Which would add a few 100 bucks to the cost.
Still expensive as hell then but the design would have been double awesome then.

But it's just a psu so whatever.
I meant for info on the 4250, I tried a mix of strings and didn't get anywhere.

Hazaro said:
I meant for info on the 4250, I tried a mix of strings and didn't get anywhere.
I think hd4250 mkv playback.

There's also tons of info on de interlacing and upscaling for hd 6450 cards if you search for that.

The whole thing is a non issue anyhow since he doesn't have to buy a new motherboard.
6450 is supposed to be a really good, capable no headaches htpc card (specifically designed for the purpose, passive cooling and all) so I recommended it.

RS4-

Goddamn, didn't know the Seasonic X series were that expensive; kind of want to upgrade to that because I hate the cables on my Corsair 620hx.

weekend_warrior said:
Heys duders. I'm need to get a new computer soon and I'm looking at the low end laptops and so I have a few questions about CPUs/GPUs.

1. Most of the laptops ~$500 have one of 3 CPUS- Dual-Core, i3/i5, and AMD Athlon II. Now I know the i3/i5's are the best but are the dual-cores and AMDs so outdated now that it'd be stupid to buy one? Like I said I have a pretty low budget, but I'd also like something that's going to be reliable and useful for 3+ years. I'm coming off a 2008 Mac Whitebook.

2. Most of the graphics cards are the "Intel HD Graphics" variety, but a few have an ATI Radeon HD 4200/4250/4270 or NVIDIA GeForce 310M. Are these totally shit and not worth paying extra for? I'd love if I could play some Civ5 on this (on lowest settings of course.)

But mostly I just care about finding a reliable, durable, quality built, affordable laptop for your basic internet/ multitasking stuff.

edit: Also, are there any good forums I could check out to hear some real world opinions and discussion about laptop buying?

Any help with this?

gdt

weekend_warrior said:
Any help with this?

A) Search for the gamer approved laptop recommendation thread. Lots of good info. Copy your post there, will get alot more feedback.

B) notebookreview.com. Check the discussions there too.

Ok, could someone explain to me how am I getting better performance out my system when its not overcloked?

I recently couldn't get into Win7, the boot sector was corrupted. So I thought maybe I had a bad memory module, the PC crashed which caused the corrupted boot sector. The memory was replaced with my 8gbs of G.Skill 1600Mhz 7-8-7 24, this obviously didn't fix anything. After getting the Windows installation disk to fix the boot sector, it was to time to overclock the processor and get the memory to its native or advertised frequency. Because my processor is an AMD Phenom II, the FSB has to be increased, which increases everything. This is just to get the G.Skill to 1600Mhz (designed for Intel). Well after one reboot, everything went back to stock speeds, FSB, CPU, memory, and hyper transport link. The only things that didn't change was the volatge for the CPU and memory.

But games are running smoother, boot and loading of Win7 is faster, it seems more bottleneck free than before.

Specs
Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz voltage 1.475
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
8GB G.Skill RipJaw 1600Mhz down clocked to 1333Mhz 7-8-7 24 voltage 1.64
Radeon 6950 bios flashed
2 Crucial SSD 64gb SATA 3 in RAID 0
HDD Seagate 320GB SATA 7200rpm
Antec 550w Power PLUS PSU

I even got a bump in Metro 2033, I'm trippin over here.

RS4-

I've been meaning to build a desk like that; just haven't had the time to get hammer out some metal or something. Then again, I could probably diy something out of Ikea parts instead.

Having some issues deciding on a PSU. I haven't purchased everything (actually, all I've bought is a case) but it looks like I'll be going with:

P67 motherboard
i5 2500k (overclocked to whatever I can get it to, hopefully 4.5)
560 ti
8 GB RAM
1 DVD/RW drive
CM Hyper 212+

My case comes with 3 fans and I may include a SSD.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure a good ~600w PSU should cover me (I'm not going to be running SLI ever). Trying to decide between a modular or non-modular; I have a mid-sized case so space is at a modest premium.

Any thoughts on these two PSUs, GAF?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

I've heard good success with Antec in the past, hence these both being Antec-brand.

vexvegaz

@Cel

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0330778
microcenter has them in stock

im currently debating between this and the 650..i like the silverstone case but i need the extra space for my WC parts.

mike23 said:
Just saw this on Uncrate. Is this the worst deal ever or what?

Q8WIe.jpg

http://www.darwinmachine.com/products.htm#hmr

Basically paying $2000+ for the case. It's a cool case, but come on. They could at least try to justify the cost a little bit.

wow! when it comes to prebuilt pc, i still prefer murderbox
http://www.murderbox.com/gallery.html

PolishQ

Probably won't pull the trigger on this until July but here's what I'm thinking:

i5 2500k
P67
Intel 320 120GB SSD
4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
GeForce 560 Ti
Bluray burner
24" monitor

reuse from my current computer:
1TB secondary hdd
700w psu
coolermaster case

I have 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM in my current computer... I'm guessing that's not really a good idea to bring over.

Current cost is around $1200 but hoping to get it closer to $1000.

Any areas where I could shave off some money without losing a lot of performance? I'm looking to do some 1080p video editing in addition to gaming (Witcher 2, Skyrim, etc).

Xerxes

Neo Member
For any GAFers in Vancouver, I picked up a Sapphire 5830 today at NCIX for $110 today, no rebates or anything. Smoking deal. I'm guessing it must a pricing error. If anyone is looking for a decent if not exceptional video card on the cheap, it might be worth checking out. On their website it's listed at $130.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60715&vpn=11169-06-20R&manufacture=SAPPHIRE

If anyone local could use my old 8800 GTS for an HTPC or something, lemme know and it's yours. I have no need for it.

edit: ah. Looks like it's a newegg price match. Still, a good buy at less than you'd pay for a 5770.

mkenyon said:
Impossible to say.

I just want to know if id be wasting my money/value by not buying it now for that price and using it already instead of waiting till around end of the year as i dont need to build a new comp yet.

ithorien

momolicious said:
I just want to know if id be wasting my money/value by not buying it now for that price and using it already instead of waiting till around end of the year as i dont need to build a new comp yet.

It's 50/50, but it doesn't matter because it's a gambler's fallacy either way.

momolicious said:

Then you shouldn't worry about it until you have the need.

DeVeAn

Can someone recommend a nice gaming monitor? I am lookiong for a 23 inch. I have an ASUS VH238 LED, but I can't get decent blacks on it. Also viewing angle is pretty bad.

DeVeAn said:
Can someone recommend a nice gaming monitor? I am lookiong for a 23 inch. I have an ASUS VH238 LED, but I can't get decent blacks on it. Also viewing angle is pretty bad.

Really, I was about to order that model. :(

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
Is my C drive folder suppose to look like that? With all the notepad files?

That's the redistributables that's install with games, like Visual C++ 2005 etc. I delete them after they install.

DeVeAn said:

TNs suck for viewing angle, can't do anything about that. My recommendation would be stay away from LED entirely. Awful color reproduction in general.

Coldsnap

ithorien said:
That's the redistributables that's install with games, like Visual C++ 2005 etc. I delete them after they install.

Cool, so i can delete anything under the windows file and be good to go?

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
Cool, so i can delete anything under the windows file and be good to go?

My general rule is to make sure all those are the same date, if so delete them all. In your case they look like they are, 4/11/2008

ithorien

Coldsnap said:
okay cool

Either way if you have system files hidden, nothing should specifically create files just in the root of your C drive (that I've seen recently). You'll see distros do this whenever it updates/installs one, and after it's done it's safe to delete- they're only setup files.

ithorien

DeVeAn said:
Yea, its also got a gangster lean as in the the right side is higher than the left. I have great luck with tech i swear.

I bought a Samsung LCD a while back, just noticed the right side sags about half of an inch. The stands they make nowadays just suck some serious donkey.

DeVeAn

ithorien said:
I bought a Samsung LCD a while back, just noticed the right side sags about half of an inch. The stands they make nowadays just suck some serious donkey.
Right? Huge widescreen displays and skinny necks to hold them up. I don't want to mount every flat screen I plan to buy dammit!

JWong

Banned
Wanted to ask those with an SSD how much space have you used?

I'm deciding between a 120gb and 160gb. I think I've already reached 120gigs on my system HDD, but that's because I've installed all my games on it. (World of Warcraft, etc.)

Is the extra 40 gigs worth the ~$100 cost?

RS4-

Still a bad idea to mix ram right? I'll have to find out the ram timing on my current ones; all I remember is that they're corsair ones with the heat sinks.

teiresias

I am going CRAZY!!!!! I'd appreciate it if anyone knows how to solve this.

I cannot get the SLI option to show up in Nvidia Control Panel. I've tried with both the latest beta driver and the last release driver. The driver sees both cards fine as they're both listed in the PhysX setup and the System Information. I can also hook one monitor up the main card and my plasma up to the second card and get output to both of them, so they both seem to be working fine, but the Control Panel will just not let me get any SLI options.

Anyone have any ideas? Here's my main equipment:

Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
GPU in main slot: EVGA GTX460 1GB Superclock <= This is the one I just added
GPU in other slot: Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC2

Van Owen

Banned
So I bought the Fractal R3 case form Newegg, and it has a small dent right on the front top of the case. Is Newegg's RMA replacement generous, or are they going to make me pay to ship this back?

LZq35.jpg

I know it's small, but it's right on the front and very visible. Plus it's a fairly expensive case...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
teiresias said:
I am going CRAZY!!!!! I'd appreciate it if anyone knows how to solve this.

I cannot get the SLI option to show up in Nvidia Control Panel. I've tried with both the latest beta driver and the last release driver. The driver sees both cards fine as they're both listed in the PhysX setup and the System Information. I can also hook one monitor up the main card and my plasma up to the second card and get output to both of them, so they both seem to be working fine, but the Control Panel will just not let me get any SLI options.

Anyone have any ideas? Here's my main equipment:

Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD4P
GPU in main slot: EVGA GTX460 1GB Superclock <= This is the one I just added
GPU in other slot: Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC2
Maybe this?

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=2700.0

After shuting down last night for a windows update I turn the computer to find that windows won't boot. Tried using my win7 update disc to repair but no dice. Neither of the internal hard drives are visible to the computer. Is it a motherboard issue? This has happened a few times in the past but Startup Repair had always worked. Help me PC GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom