• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
Meh

Maybe I'll get the Hyper 212+ this weekend. Playing Dirt 3 and I stop to take a look at temps and they are in the 70s range and looks like the highs for all 4 cores were 89-91.

Unless I'm mistaken...I should be getting much better temps than these from a H70?

Running 2600k @ 4.6 btw

Whoa...yeah. That's really hot. Low 70s is fine...but 90? That's dangerous.

Maybe the pump on the cooler is broken, or the liquid leaked out or something...

Unknown Soldier said:
So did you try any different compatibility bits? I'm sure on some Witcher 2 forum somewhere there's a huge thread with a bunch of people testing different SLI profiles looking for the perfect one.

I'll wait it out. I'm not in any rush to play the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jeramii said:
what is a good program to watch bluray movies on?

vlc doesn't work, not sure what else is out there.

I've been forced to use PowerDVD that came with my drive. I haven't been able to find any free programs to do the job.

TheExodu5

Banned
Deadly said:

Decent. It's a little bit slower than a GTX 460, but at $100, it's definitely a good buy.

perfrel_1920.gif

Smokey

TheExodu5 said:
Whoa...yeah. That's really hot. Low 70s is fine...but 90? That's dangerous.

Maybe the pump on the cooler is broken, or the liquid leaked out or something...

I'll wait it out. I'm not in any rush to play the game.

I'm using CoreTemp...is there a way to have this running during the game so that I'm not having to Alt-Tab out and look at the temps? Also could this maybe be a thermal paste issue? I used what was already on the H70...but I do have some Artic stuff that I ordered from newegg.

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
I'm using CoreTemp...is there a way to have this running during the game so that I'm not having to Alt-Tab out and look at the temps? Also could this maybe be a thermal paste issue? I used what was already on the H70...but I do have some Artic stuff that I ordered from newegg.

I'm pretty sure CoreTemp doesn't work properly with Sandy Bridge CPUs.

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Battlefield Bad Company 2 is the first thing that comes to mind.

And many games that only use 1-2 cores, including Starcraft 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 (really), The Witcher (the first game).
Starcaft 2, hmm? It's a good thing I'm awful at that game, so I don't really have to care. U:

Smokey

Alright so ran real temp played a track of Dirt 3...

Min = 34 C across the board
Max = 86, 87, 84, 75

Still seems too high...

LJ11

I've been looking to build a small machine/HTPC for a few months, Anandtech posted a buyers guide for SFF machines. Is the below a pretty good starting point, any other recommendations? Looking to spend around 600-800 tops, would only need the parts listed below. Thanks in advance.

They suggest the following;
Case: Lian Li PC-Q08B
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-550
CPU: 2500k
Mobo: ASUS P8H61-I
GC: ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850

Smokey

Here is what I got from RealTemp after doing a sensore test...:

25saau0.jpg

What do I do GAF something ain't right...notice it says LOG under core 1 as well as well as the max temps during the sensor test...

fuckk

Smokey said:
Alright so ran real temp played a track of Dirt 3...

Min = 34 C across the board
Max = 86, 87, 84, 75

Still seems too high...

You said it's over clocked to 4.6 right? What is your voltage set to? Do you have it set, or are you letting your motherboard handle it? I seen a lot of people who let the motherboard handle it have really high temps cause the motherboard is giving the CPU like 1.5 and up. I BELIEVE with 4.6 you should only need to be in the 1.3 - 1.35 area. Maybe some one can correct me on that though.

Also core temp works fine with the sandy bridge chips. The only one I've seen not work is Speed Fan, which gives me temps of like -60 (which is WAY wrong) other wise Core Temp and RealTemp are always right along with each other.

Oreoleo

pseudocaesar said:
Then why'd you say you hoped it was Fahrenheit when the post said Celsius? Moron.

Um, because 87C is REALLY hot and I'd pull the plug out the back of my PC if I ever saw that. At least if it were Fahrenheit it wouldn't be a big deal. My post was a tongue in cheek way of saying something isn't right. Thanks for the personal insult though, real classy.

Chris R

My motherboard finally died on me (which isn't really as bad as it sounds... worst computer related purchase I ever made, never again MSI, never again). Now the hunt is on for a cheap replacement that can last me the 6-9 months until Ivy Bridge. Anyone have a suggestion for a LGA775/DDR2 board with a single PCIe x16 slot? Don't need nothing fancy since everything is going to be replaced when I do my next build, just bare bones with enough space for the stuff I already have (Q9550/R4870/ect).

Smokey said:

25saau0.jpg

What do I do GAF something ain't right...notice it says LOG under core 1 as well as well as the max temps during the sensor test...

fuckk

I'm running a recently built 2500k at about 200mhz less than your machine and I'm using an H50 push-pull setup with temps hitting a 44C max during load. I'm willing to bet there's an issue with the contact between the cooler and the CPU itself. Those kind of mistakes can happen with first builds. I remember the second time I ever installed a CPU cooler by myself I fucked up the paste that came pre-applied while installing it and had heating issues until I removed it to see for myself.

Tubobutts

I'm building a new PC and I have a quick question if anyone could help me out.

I'm planning to use the 6870 that is in my current computer in the new one. I'm wondering, is worth it to get a second 6870 and crossfire them, or if it would be better to just wait and get a single, better card down the line?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for 120mm case fans?

Thanks in advance.

Pittst0p

Neo Member
I've finally built my new PC based on the advice given here and I have a quick question if anyone could help me out?

I installed windows on my SSD by unplugging my HDD but afterwards when I hooked it up again windows recognizes it only as 100MB when its actually 1TB. The bios recognizes the full 1TB. Would really appreciate help I want to start downloading steam games.

i5 2500k
msi ati radeon 6950 2 GB
msi p67a-gd53
Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200
cm 690 2
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
LG DVD±RW SuperMulti Drive Black SATA

Fredescu

Pittst0p said:
I installed windows on my SSD by unplugging my HDD but afterwards when I hooked it up again windows recognizes it only as 100MB when its actually 1TB. The bios recognizes the full 1TB. Would really appreciate help I want to start downloading steam games.
It's probably not formatted. Have a look in disk manager and you should see the drive and a big chunk of unformatted space.

knitoe

Smokey said:

fuckk
You are missing the most important info. What voltages you are using? Run HWmonitor and tell us.

19 & 21 said:
I'm running a recently built 2500k at about 200mhz less than your machine and I'm using an H50 push-pull setup with temps hitting a 44C max during load. I'm willing to bet there's an issue with the contact between the cooler and the CPU itself. Those kind of mistakes can happen with first builds. I remember the second time I ever installed a CPU cooler by myself I fucked up the paste that came pre-applied while installing it and had heating issues until I removed it to see for myself.
Doubtful, there's something wrong with the cooler installation since his idle temps are fine. If it was wrong, he would be hitting 40C, 50C or so on.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone here would have any recommendations for a good gaming monitor/TV for pc gaming(preferably Samsung) at 32 inches? Thanks in advance!

Knox

Hey everyone. Looking to make some upgrades to my 3 year old system for some games *coughbattlefield*. I'm mostly looking at graphics card (currently have an HD 4850 512MB) and probably memory (currently 2x2 GB). My processor is an Intel E8400 (Dual core, 3.0), is that gonna bottleneck at all? Quad seems to be the standard now, but I'm not looking to build a whole new system. Suggestions?

Twig

Banned
This is probably normal, but

My new 6850 is way, way louder than my old 8800GTS. And it's not just the pshhhhh of a fan, it's more of a hum. Hm?

n0n44m

Smokey said:

25saau0.jpg

fuckk

what's your overclock ? 4600 @ how many volts?

I'm not exactly a fan of the H70 and all its single 120 radiator brothers but it should handle 4.6 ghz with ease (~75c max)

it's either

-incorrectly installed (not enough thermal paste? not enough pressure on the cpu?)
-defective (liquid pump would be the prime suspect, is it connected to the cpu-fan header and can you see the rpm ?)

or

-you're running an overclock with way more voltage than this cooler can handle (I get the same results when going for 5 ghz 1.45v with a Mugen 2 aircooler, whereas at 4.7 1.35v it stays nicely at 75 max Prime95/LinX)

edit:

here's my Realtemp Sensor Test Run @ 4.5 ghz, ~1.3v (2600K)

sensortest5juw.png

max per core : 62c - 70c - 72c - 67c

-------------------------------------

edit 2 :

been thinking, max temps on your cores look different than mine (4th core lower than 1st etc), whereas AFAIK my max temps per core are normal for Sandy Bridge (1st core lowest, 2nd higher, 3rd highest, 4th somewhat higher than 1st) ... so I would first check if the cooler is correctly installed because it might be an uneven pressure issue

Izayoi

Banned
Twig said:
This is probably normal, but

My new 6850 is way, way louder than my old 8800GTS. And it's not just the pshhhhh of a fan, it's more of a hum. Hm?
Welcome to the wonderful world of ATI.

BloodySinner said:
http://i.imgur.com/8Av53.jpg[IMG]
Pulled the trigger... Hope it shows up at my door soon.[/QUOTE]
Mechanical keyboard I take it? What brand?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Is the price difference between a 560Ti and a 570 worth it? Or shall I go for the 560?

Thinking of picking up the MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti TWIN FROZR II

Edit: Fuck it I am going to go with the FROZR and overclock that bitch!

Twig

Banned
Izayoi said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of ATI.

Mechanical keyboard I take it? What brand?
As long as it's normal, I'm not too concerned. I have my headphones on a good deal of the time, anyway.

Izayoi

Banned
Wallach said:
That's a Razer Black Widow. Cherry MX Blue switches (loud clicky switch).

Been eyeing a Deck 82 lately myself.
Ouch, that one is mighty expensive. Does it have a lifetime warranty or something? I notice the Razer's warranty is only a year...

Also, what's the difference between linear and tactile keys?

FoxSpirit said:
Pffft, NVidia had it's good share of Jet-engine cooling. My advice: always get the model with the best custom cooler.
I've been using ATI's for four years now and they were way louder than my old 8800GTX. I dunno.

Dennis

Banned
Speaking of Gaming Keyboards....

Do NOT get the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard.

POS. About 6 unresponsive keys and a stuck Right Shift key......and I haven't had it for that long or used it particularly harshly.

I got it because it had lots of Macro keys but its not worth the price.

Fredescu

BloodySinner said:
Do not buy Microsoft hardware, really. I learned this back in 2001.
I've always preferred their mice to Logitech. I think they may be getting out of the market though. The gaming stuff is getting harder to find here.

Smokey said:
Meh

Maybe I'll get the Hyper 212+ this weekend. Playing Dirt 3 and I stop to take a look at temps and they are in the 70s range and looks like the highs for all 4 cores were 89-91.

Unless I'm mistaken...I should be getting much better temps than these from a H70?

Running 2600k @ 4.6 btw
I pull 121 fps with all settings maxed on my setup. The lowest fps I scored was 111. This is on a 2600k and a superclocked gtx580. I use a hyper212. My 2600k temps never rise above 47-48c.

All this without an overclock. I'd shut it down for dirt. Your likely not seeing any performance gain. Have you run prime95 to check the stability of your OC? Perhaps you need to bring the voltage down? Seems very high.

Sanjay

Smokey said:
Meh

Maybe I'll get the Hyper 212+ this weekend.

Your temps seem way high but yeah I can't recommend this heat-sink enough, only fault is that it makes a lot of noise.

Also what's the Vcore your giving to the cpu?

I've had an Antec Solo case for a while now, but I'm giving it to my parents along with my old Q6600 build. The Solo was a great case as it was super quiet, compact, and had a simple look and didn't look like a gamer case. The case was getting dated though - top mounted PSU, max video card it could fit without mods is 9.5", no cutout to install a heatsink...

I splurged and picked up a Corsair 650D from Microcenter for my Sandy Bridge build, but I'm actually a little disappointed. While the case size did make installing the parts a breeze, the case is huge (how in the hell Corsair could call this a mid tower is beyond me). I'd maybe be more understanding about the size if I was getting much better cooling performance, but I'm only getting 3 degrees better CPU temperature at load. The case is also quite a bit noisier than my Solo, and even though I got the new 650D revision I'm still having some fan buzzing.

So what other cases are recommended? I was thinking Fractal R3 but I've heard about problems with build quality. Both the Solo and 650D are built like tanks so I don't want to take a step down in build quality.

Gav

Right, ive had a Macbook for 3 years now, but im missing PC gaming.

I'm dying to play BF3.

Ive got nothing at the moment, PC wise. Rounded figure, what sorta cost am i looking at for a semi-decent gaming rig (with monitor - 22" max). UK by the way.

I know its a vague question, but at this moment all i need is a ballpark figure. Happy to self build.

[I ask as i'm totally out of the loop now with graphics cards and processors!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom