• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Gav said:
Right, ive had a Macbook for 3 years now, but im missing PC gaming.

I'm dying to play BF3.

Ive got nothing at the moment, PC wise. Rounded figure, what sorta cost am i looking at for a semi-decent gaming rig (with monitor - 22" max). UK by the way.

I know its a vague question, but at this moment all i need is a ballpark figure. Happy to self build.

I'd say you'd get a pretty darn good build, building from scratch incl monitor etc, for 1000 pounds.

ZZMitch

I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no answers but it's fine :p

I am taking a 12 hour car trip up to college in a few months and I want to bring my gaming rig up with me. I don't really want to take the whole thing apart again, would I be ok just taking out the graphics card? Since that seems like the loosest component and therefore the most likely to brake. Would I be ok simply cushioning my computer or should I do something else?

I just don't want to get it set up in my dorm and find out I broke it somehow :/

Thanks!

knitoe

ZZMitch said:
I asked this question a few weeks ago and got no answers but it's fine :p

I am taking a 12 hour car trip up to college in a few months and I want to bring my gaming rig up with me. I don't really want to take the whole thing apart again, would I be ok just taking out the graphics card? Since that seems like the loosest component and therefore the most likely to brake. Would I be ok simply cushioning my computer or should I do something else?

I just don't want to get it set up in my dorm and find out I broke it somehow :/

Thanks!
Take out the video card, addon cards and CPU cooler if it's one of those big ones. Make sure any moviable parts and wires are taped/tied down. Personally, I wouldn't put stuff inside the case for cushion. And, most importantly, handle the case with care when moving it around.

ZZMitch

knitoe said:
Take out the video card, addon cards and CPU cooler if it's one of those big ones. Make sure any moviable parts and wires are taped/tied down. Personally, I wouldn't put stuff inside the case for cushion. And, most importantly, handle the case with care when moving it around.

Ooh yeah CPU cooler, I forgot about that, thanks. I didn't really mean cushioning the insides, I meant surrounding it will pillows or something :p

ZZMitch said:
Ooh yeah CPU cooler, I forgot about that, thanks. I didn't really mean cushioning the insides, I meant surrounding it will pillows or something :p

Pillows and soft blankets around the case would be a good idea. Also be sure to remove any CD/DVDs/Blurays from the optical drive.

ZZMitch

Soka said:
Pillows and soft blankets around the case would be a good idea. Also be sure to remove any CD/DVDs/Blurays from the optical drive.

I wouldn't have to worry about static electricity if the case is all closed up right?

Angst

Question:

I have a MSI mainboard (the MSI 770-C45). On the MB there are two switches for overclocking of the FSB. The settings are 10, 15 or 20 %.

Should I just flip the switch and go for 10 % or do I have to do a lot of testing?

spicy cho

Gav said:

I'm dying to play BF3.

Ive got nothing at the moment, PC wise. Rounded figure, what sorta cost am i looking at for a semi-decent gaming rig (with monitor - 22" max). UK by the way.

I know its a vague question, but at this moment all i need is a ballpark figure. Happy to self build.

[I ask as i'm totally out of the loop now with graphics cards and processors!]
I would just wait, if all you want to play is BF3. If BF3 is anything like BF2, it will be a system hog so you may as well wait until it's closer to release, and see how people running the beta fare with current hardware. Assuming the beta is still on, it should be this summer.

Gav

spicy cho said:
I would just wait, if all you want to play is BF3. If BF3 is anything like BF2, it will be a system hog so you may as well wait until it's closer to release, and see how people running the beta fare with current hardware. Assuming the beta is still on, it should be this summer.

Not a bad idea. I want to start playing Hat Fortress 2 and some other stuff again too, but as you say, might be worth waiting.
I'll likely keep an eye out for any bargains on components though.

spicy cho

Also a good plan. If you see good deals, especially on components that won't be as quickly outdated or discounted (case, psu, mobo, pretty much anything but GPU,) jump on it. As long as the store you buy from doesn't charge a lot for shipping it's a good approach.

Glorious Master Race, teach me:

How can I get better airflow in my PC? I'm gonna reorganize stuff because Summer's coming and I've got a lot of parts OCed in my machine. I figure I can get better temps and maintain my OC with no loss of stability if I can fix my rat's nest. Are there any wiring rules/techniques I can follow?

Also, a side question:
I've still got IDE DVD burners in my rig, and I'd like to move to SATA if only to get rid of those bulky-ass IDE cables. What are the best burners? I always install 2, so let me know what the best pair is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gav said:

I'm dying to play BF3.

[I ask as i'm totally out of the loop now with graphics cards and processors!]

if you take a standard 2500k/4GB/6950 (or 560Ti) build, in a cheap case, you'd probably be able to do that for around £500-600. Then its up to you what you spend on a fancy case or monitor (for gaming considered a 1080p TV?)

560Ti/1GB 6950 - £180. £200 gets you a 2GB 6950 which might be more futureproof
P67 motherboard - £100
2500K CPU - £150
1TB samsung spinpoint F3 - £40
modular seasonic 520W PSU - £70
4GB RAM (2x2) - £35
DVD rom - £15
case - £20
-----------
subtotal - £630

£120 for a 22" monitor
£30 for a wireless keyboard/mouse

total = £780

edit: scan have a 'today only' - £500 for
* BitFenix Survivor CORE, Black, Mid Tower Case with Handle w/o PSU
* 750W Coolermaster RS750-ACAAE3-UK GX, 80 PLUS, 85% Eff', SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, 120mm Fan
* Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, 1155, Sdy Bridge, QuadCore, 3.3GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 95W, Retail +Free Game
* Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3-B3, Intel P67 Express, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1333, SATA 6Gb/s RAID, ATX
* 2TB Samsung HD204UI/Z4 Spinpoint F4EG, SATA 3Gb/s, 5400rpm, 32MB Cache, 8.9ms, NCQ
* 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
* Pioneer DVR-S19LBK 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, RAM x12, SATA, Black, Retail Labelflash

no graphics casd though which is odd as that motherboard won't have graphics onboard.

2GB 6950 - £200

£120 for a 22" monitor
£30 for a wireless keyboard/mouse

total = £850

spicy cho

I'm no cable management expert but a case with routing options behind the motherboard tray is key. Modular PSU will also make life easy. Zip tie everything to the back of your mobo, and blow out your fans and everything with compressed air regularly. That's probably stuff you already know though, mostly common sense.

Eliciel

Sorry to ask this question again, but I've read a lot of reviews concerning GTX 560 TI and Radeon HD 6870...

1) I don't really get which card is the better one or if there is a better one....just tell me which one to buy ^^

2) from which company should I buy it. I liked the Saphire HD and the Gainward GTX

thank you very much for your help :)

spicy cho

I think the 560ti is more in competition with the HD 6950, it's definitely better than a 6870. As for manufacturers it comes down to warranty/customer service. I only buy XFX for amd cards, and EVGA for nvidia. Though it doesn't really matter if a deal is good, all the cards are the same more or less.

TheExodu5

Banned
voady said:
Sorry to ask this question again, but I've read a lot of reviews concerning GTX 560 TI and Radeon HD 6870...

1) I don't really get which card is the better one or if there is a better one....just tell me which one to buy ^^

2) from which company should I buy it. I liked the Saphire HD and the Gainward GTX

thank you very much for your help :)

The GTX 560 Ti is the better card. 6870 was never a great buy, IMO...poorly placed in between the cheaper 6850 and the significantly better 6950.

You're in Europe, I assume? Gainward has always seemed pretty solid, from what I've seen. I like a lot of their aftermarket heatsink designs.

spicy cho said:
I think the 560ti is more in competition with the HD 6950, it's definitely better than a 6870. As for manufacturers it comes down to warranty/customer service. I only buy XFX for amd cards, and EVGA for nvidia. Though it doesn't really matter if a deal is good, all the cards are the same more or less.

It's in direct competition with the 6950 1GB...I'd take the GTX 560 over the 6950 1GB for the NVidia advantages, as small as they may be (drivers, NVidia Inspector, Adobe Creative Suite acceleration, PhysX).

If you want to spend ~$30-50 more, however, the 6950 2GB is an attractive alternative as you can (usually) unlock the shaders and almost turn it into a 6970.

Smokey

19 & 21 said:
I'm running a recently built 2500k at about 200mhz less than your machine and I'm using an H50 push-pull setup with temps hitting a 44C max during load. I'm willing to bet there's an issue with the contact between the cooler and the CPU itself. Those kind of mistakes can happen with first builds. I remember the second time I ever installed a CPU cooler by myself I fucked up the paste that came pre-applied while installing it and had heating issues until I removed it to see for myself.
I'm thinking it has something to do with the paste. I had a bit of an issue installing the h70 and the paste at the bottom of the pump may have been effected. Also I don't think contact between the pump is the issue. To screw in the h70 over the CPU it sits on the chip and then that screws into the ring to keep it in place.

Guess ill try and apply the artic paste I got from newegg and re apply. How much should I use?

Smokey

knitoe said:
You are missing the most important info. What voltages you are using? Run HWmonitor and tell us.

Doubtful, there's something wrong with the cooler installation since his idle temps are fine. If it was wrong, he would be hitting 40C, 50C or so on.
Alright ill give this info after work. The OC is from the asus OC tool btw.

Sorry for b2b posts I'm on my phone

TheExodu5

Banned
Smokey said:
I'm thinking it has something to do with the paste. I had a bit of an issue installing the h70 and the paste at the bottom of the pump may have been effected. Also I don't think contact between the pump is the issue. To screw in the h70 over the CPU it sits on the chip and then that screws into the ring to keep it in place.

Guess ill try and apply the artic paste I got from newegg and re apply. How much should I use?

Less is more. About as much as a small grain of rice.

Just make a small line of paste, and push down the H70 waterblock onto it and twist it left/right a tiny bit to smooth out air bubbles, then screw it in. Don't spread the paste beforehand.

Shambles

ZZMitch said:
I wouldn't have to worry about static electricity if the case is all closed up right?

Well a static discharge can damage components at any given time. I think you're worrying about this. I just throw my box in my car when I move it around. Even with a heavy aftermarket cooler and GPU I don't have any problems. If you're worried about the weight of components just sit the box on it's side so the cooler and GPU will be held down by gravity into the motherboard. A pillow underneath also will help to reduce the impulse of bumps.

mclaren777

I need you guys to motivate me to swap my P8P67 motherboard.

I've had the replacement for over six weeks but I can't bring myself to actually do it. :(

TheExodu5

Banned
mclaren777 said:
I need you guys to motivate me to swap my P8P67 motherboard.

I've had the replacement for over six weeks but I can't bring myself to actually do it. :(

I never ended up getting the B3 revision...I'm too lazy to swap it out. I'll pay for a new motherboard if ever mine stops working properly. I'll take my chances.

Corky

spicy cho said:
You really can't compare multiple gpu's to a single, more powerful one though. Aside from microstutter, cf/sli is such a pain in the ass. It generally is slow to get support for new releases as well.

Nor are they the same price either. You get 3 6850s for the price of one 580.

edit : scratch that I misread it, you actually get 4 6850s for the price of one 580 here. But yeah I wouldn't recommend it either.

TheExodu5

Banned
spicy cho said:
You really can't compare multiple gpu's to a single, more powerful one though. Aside from microstutter, cf/sli is such a pain in the ass. It generally is slow to get support for new releases as well.
Yeah...is never get 2x 6850 over a GTX 580.

spicy cho

Corky said:
Nor are they the same price either. You get 3 6850s for the price of one 580.
That's very true. But when your game is running the same fps with cf turned off you're subject to feeling somewhat burned.

mkenyon

Banned
Shambles said:
Well a static discharge can damage components at any given time. I think you're worrying about this. I just throw my box in my car when I move it around. Even with a heavy aftermarket cooler and GPU I don't have any problems. If you're worried about the weight of components just sit the box on it's side so the cooler and GPU will be held down by gravity into the motherboard. A pillow underneath also will help to reduce the impulse of bumps.
I do this same thing at least 5 times a year for multiple hours in the car for the past 11 years. I have never, ever, had a component break or fail.

*edit*

Anandtech did an article on SFF builds. This is one for a gaming system.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4348/small-form-factor-buyers-guide/4

I'm a big fan of SFF gaming rigs. Nothing like a ton of power in a small case.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I need more storage due to my burgeoning Steam collection and my inability to not download games. I currently have a 500gb hdd. Should I go with an internal or external hdd to use as a backup drive? I am considering putting an internal in and installing Steam and all of my games on it. The other option is an external that I use to image my main drive as well as transferring my Steamapps folder to it so I can store games I don't play. Thoughts?

Corky

spicy cho said:
That's very true. But when your game is running the same fps with cf turned off you're subject to feeling somewhat burned.

Yeah no doubt, but that's somewhat alleviated if you're doing SLI on the higher end of the gpu line. I mean who'd get two , well I don't know gts 450s over a gtx 460 or w/e but I understand people getting two 570s over a 580.

two 570s costs, again here, around 40% more than a 580, but then again they sure as hell perform better than that. Also even if you're out of luck and for some reason SLI doesn't work, modern pc games aren't that taxing ( relatively speaking ) that one 570 wouldn't handle it valiantly.

That's just the way I see it, maybe it's that I've gotten lucky because I have yet to experience microstuttering. But every other downfall of SLI is just a compromise of buying more with less.

edit : this is all with regards to nvidia of course, my last ATI card was a 9800 XT.

Wallach

Izayoi said:
Ouch, that one is mighty expensive. Does it have a lifetime warranty or something? I notice the Razer's warranty is only a year...

Also, what's the difference between linear and tactile keys?

Nope, Deck's warranty is also a year. Though, Deck has one of the rarest warranties in electronics in that it covers all modification, even down to PCB soldering. That said, they're built like brick houses so the only thing that I think you really risk needing to replace out of warranty may be a stray LED, keycap or cable (all of which are pretty easy to do).

Now, if you want a real expensive keyboard, the stuff with Topre switches are the ones that fit that bill. Only the Topre boards and the Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro series use them. Here in the US it's around $250-275 before shipping to get any of them new.

scy

Man, these recent posts about keyboards makes me want to replace my Logitech G5 and G15 setup with something new. Had those both for something like 5 years now. Maybe after the new monitor purchase...

mkenyon

Banned
darkwing said:
what issues did you encounter?
As a guy running x-fire currently, I can give you a few.

1. Witcher 2 and Brink CF profiles were just added yesterday. Before that, I had to manually disable crossfire to play them. This is the case with all games that do not have CF profiles, which is surprisingly quite a few. Though, they generally don't need 2 5870s to run at super high FPS. In situations such as that, you've paid for two cards and are only getting the performance of one.

2. I've encountered micro stuttering, which essentially tricks the human eye to perceive way worse performance than what is really going on.

3. With two 5870s in my case, that's quite a bit of extra heat and power. It's actually forcing me to spend additional money on probably a liquid cooling setup. Even if I weren't going liquid, I would need to invest in a more expensive case to handle it.

spicy cho

mkenyon said:
As a guy running x-fire currently, I can give you a few.

1. Witcher 2 and Brink CF profiles were just added yesterday. Before that, I had to manually disable crossfire to play them. This is the case with all games that do not have CF profiles, which is surprisingly quite a few. Though, they generally don't need 2 5870s to run at super high FPS. In situations such as that, you've paid for two cards and are only getting the performance of one.

2. I've encountered micro stuttering, which essentially tricks the human eye to perceive way worse performance than what is really going on.

3. With two 5870s in my case, that's quite a bit of extra heat and power. It's actually forcing me to spend additional money on probably a liquid cooling setup. Even if I weren't going liquid, I would need to invest in a more expensive case to handle it.
Sounds like the similar nightmare I had with my gtx 260's... Never again. From now on I'm picking up the best high end card for my money every 2 years or whenever I see fit. My 6970 has been such a great card, runs everything I throw at it in 2560x1600 without all the issues, at way higher FPS. Never tell me the numbers for multiple gpu setups, real world performance always tells a different story.

mkenyon

Banned
I was the same way, I just happened to have a friend looking to unload his 5870. Too good of an offer to pass up. I would say that I'm overall happy with my purchase, but would still advise a good single card solution unless you're batshit crazy like me and Exodu5.

Smokey said:
Alright ill give this info after work. The OC is from the asus OC tool btw.

Sorry for b2b posts I'm on my phone

Yeah as I said here.

Shin Johnpv said:
You said it's over clocked to 4.6 right? What is your voltage set to? Do you have it set, or are you letting your motherboard handle it? I seen a lot of people who let the motherboard handle it have really high temps cause the motherboard is giving the CPU like 1.5 and up. I BELIEVE with 4.6 you should only need to be in the 1.3 - 1.35 area. Maybe some one can correct me on that though.

If you're letting the motherboard, or the Asus OC Tool handle your overclock, its going to lead to it over compensating and giving the CPU a lot more volts than it needs.

I would not be surprised to see it giving it 1.5 or higher volts on a 4.6 overclock. You need to go into the advanced settings on your motherboards bios and set the voltage manually. I'm say try 1.3. I believe most 2600ks can hit 4.6 at 1.3 volts. Maybe some one else can specify more.

TheExodu5

Banned
mkenyon said:
I was the same way, I just happened to have a friend looking to unload his 5870. Too good of an offer to pass up. I would say that I'm overall happy with my purchase, but would still advise a good single card solution unless you're batshit crazy like me and Exodu5.
Pretty much. Dual GPU solutions should only appu to the performance freaks that have nothing better to do with their money. :D

scy

TheExodu5 said:
Pretty much. Dual GPU solutions should only appu to the performance freaks that have nothing better to do with their money. :D

Pfft, I'm totally planning picking up another 6950 down the road to put into my case. Earlier if I ever see a good deal on one.

And I've only really had this build for like ... a week. Want more, damn it!

Corky

scy said:
Want more, damn it!

Who doesn't? One of the worst temptations for me was this pc I built recently, and the reason is because I didn't really have to stick to a budget per se just use "common sense"( no quad 580s just because you can damn it ).

And we all know how that ends. Rationalizing up the ass, that's what happens.

" 2500 or 2600? Hmm well there's virtually no difference but I might be using this CAD program sometime "

" Gtx A, B, C, or D : A! No wait, that B is looking mighty juicy [reads benchmarks for 10h straight] C, definitely C no more. C it is! *looks at D* "

[insert component] ; repeat ad naseam.
Buy PC. Want to upgrade 48h later.

scy

Corky said:
Who doesn't? One of the worst temptations for me was this pc I built recently, and the reason is because I didn't really have to stick to a budget per se just use "common sense"( no quad 580s just because you can damn it ).

Worst part about it is that I grabbed a few pieces off Amazon and a few deals from newegg ahead of time so when it came to buying the bulk of my build, it came out to being fairly cheap since it was basically just the CPU and GPU purchased at the same time. So I was looking at it when I picked up the lone 6950 going "but the build is only at $500..." while forgetting the already purchased SSD, case, Motherboard, PSU ...

Good thing I had a friend there who reminded me or I'd probably have ended up with four GPUs to power a 6 monitor setup. From space.

mkenyon

Banned
There's a difference between people who build computers to better experience the hobby of playing games, and then there's people who build computers as a hobby. Although, the prior often becomes the latter when you have the craving for moar.

computer20.jpg

computer21.jpg

Corky

mkenyon said:
There's a difference between people who build computers to better experience the hobby of playing games, and then there's people who build computers as a hobby. Although, the prior often becomes the latter when you have the craving for moar.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7242/computer20.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9378/computer21.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

True true, like TheExodus said ( or someone else I'm probably just making up), once you get your feet into benchmarking : you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom