• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Edition of SSD's for everyone! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

mkenyon said:
There's a difference between people who build computers to better experience the hobby of playing games, and then there's people who build computers as a hobby. Although, the prior often becomes the latter when you have the craving for moar.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/7242/computer20.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9378/computer21.jpg

Yeah this is like my fifth build and each time it's "I WANT MOAR" right after and I plunge back into the depths of reading benchmarks until 4 AM every night.

Also, holyshit I want to have sex with that build.

Shambles

Yoritomo said:
Any chance that nvidia's next cards will allow triple monitors on a single card?

It will be quite a while before we see a new generation of GPUs. We haven't heard of anything about nVidia triple monitor support, and we would assume that is something they would focus on so they can match bullet points with AMD but who knows what they'll end up doing. Either way it's not going to be happening soon.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You know what, if I was financially independent I'd easily drop X thousands of dollars or however much the craziest of people spend on their annual ( quarterly ?) builds.

On the other I'd do tons of other crazy shit for that matter, then again maybe that's why I'm not financially independent to begin with >_>

Corky

scy said:
Based off that last "why aren't you a PC gamer?" topic, we have weekly builds. Better get to it.

xD, yeah and each iteration costs $4000, whereas that $10,000 Kuro came free with their $199 Wii.

Yoritomo

Shambles said:
It will be quite a while before we see a new generation of GPUs. We haven't heard of anything about nVidia triple monitor support, and we would assume that is something they would focus on so they can match bullet points with AMD but who knows what they'll end up doing. Either way it's not going to be happening soon.

Will be sticking with my 470gtx for my new build then.

Parts are rolling in.

2500k ($179)
CM Hyper 212+ ($29)
ASRock z68 Extreme4 ($189)
Silverstone RV03 ($146)
OCZ Vertex 3 120 gb maxiops ($265)
8 gb (2x4gb) Corsair 1600 CLS9 ($75)
2x Samsung F3 1tb in raid 0 (pulled from my server but were replaced by 2 2tb F4s $159)
Silverstone Strider st1000-p (huge overkill I know but I want to go triple monitor eventually thereby necessitating an SLI setup) ($183)

Reasons for choices.

Motherboard will eventually to into my server and would be able to support up to 40 drives from that single motherboard with a trio of PCIE x 4 cards and 2 pci cards. The other z68 boards shut off needed bandwidth when using the last x4 slot.

The case seems really flexible, supports the biggest cards, has good air flow, and probably has a smaller footprint. My choices were between 2 ugly cases the RV03 and the Haf 932. I chose the one I thought was isolate loud cards better while still providing good air flow.

SSD: this will be my first build with an SSD. One day newegg sale pushed me to buy the vertex 3, otherwise I had been looking to get a Crucial m4 or Intel 510 if either were of a price to do so.

Power Supply: Fully modular, good reviews, decent price for the power. Whether I use it for an SLI setup or not, it's basically guaranteed to make it's way into my server to power the huge array of hard drives. I was thinking of going with dual 480s for a while and that's what made me pick a 1k power supply. However it's one of the pieces I've yet to order and I'm more than willing to save a little money anywhere I can as long as it doesn't compromise the fact that the mother board and power supply will probably end up powering my home server.

Criticism or suggestions are welcome. The ASRock is currently out of stock at newegg, and the RV03 is backordered at amazon so I won't have it til mid June and can change my mind still.

Corky

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah that was me who said that. :p

Benchmarkers are scary.

But it looks fun doesn't it? Pouring liquid nitrogen on a 164 Ghz 990x every 5 seconds during 3dmark06 :3

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Updated OP for mwave.
Shambles said:
Yeah it sucks. I'm sitting here with my GTX 295 not wanting to upgrade since the SLi profile for Witcher 2 seems decent and I get 45-60fps 95% load on both GPU's.

I'd really like a card that is quieter and uses 50% less power though.

scy

Corky said:
But it looks fun doesn't it? Pouring liquid nitrogen on a 164 Ghz 990x every 5 seconds during 3dmark06 :3

I'll be damned if those videos weren't responsible for me wanting to be able to do builds like that. It sounded awesome. Now, I'm just happy with a clunker of a heatsink and some fans for my overclocks.

Nafai1123

Banned
Crazy PC builders are like weekend drag racers. They spend thousands of dollars building a car that can do the 1/4 mile in 9 seconds and still want it to be faster.

MedIC86

Muuh parts are rolling in i pulled the trigger on some upgrades :p i spend a little more then i've wanted but whoo cares..

- AMD X6 1100T (i know the new ones come but i got a very good deal)
- EVGA 580GTX Superclocked
- New plextor dvd burner
- Watercooling (just for the fun of tweaking)
- Asus Xonar DX
- Audio engine A2 (very curious about these, been hearing good things)
- Coolermaster 1000W Real silent pro (80 Plus gold rated)
- 3x Noctua 120 mm fan
- Corsair 600T white special edition

I already had a Asus Crosshair IV Formula and 8GB of G.skill DDR3.
Next week graduation and then building mah pc, very curious about the 580 :)

vexvegaz

mkenyon said:
There's a difference between people who build computers to better experience the hobby of playing games, and then there's people who build computers as a hobby. Although, the prior often becomes the latter when you have the craving for moar.

so true!! personally speaking, i enjoy oc'ing, tweaking, and benchmarking more than i actually enjoy playing games on my build. Getting a particular game to run as good as it can possibly run is where i find the most enjoyment.

TheExodu5

Banned
MedIC86 said:
Muuh parts are rolling in i pulled the trigger on some upgrades :p i spend a little more then i've wanted but whoo cares..

- AMD X6 1100T (i know the new ones come but i got a very good deal)
- EVGA 580GTX Superclocked
- New plextor dvd burner
- Watercooling (just for the fun of tweaking)
- Asus Xonar DX
- Audio engine A2 (very curious about these, been hearing good things)
- Coolermaster 1000W Real silent pro (80 Plus gold rated)
- 3x Noctua 120 mm fan
- Corsair 600T white special edition

I already had a Asus Crosshair IV Formula and 8GB of G.skill DDR3.
Next week graduation and then building mah pc, very curious about the 580 :)

Nice.

I hope you alraedy have an SSD!

clav

JWong said:
Is that true? Even if they bring out newer models?
They've been saying it for years now. I think it'll come true next year as I've been reading a lot about that prediction this year, so 2012 is the year.

No one's stopping you except yourself from buying a SSD right now.

JWong

Banned
claviertekky said:
They've been saying it for years now. I think it'll come true next year as I've been reading a lot about that prediction this year.

No one's stopping you except yourself from buying a SSD right now.
No one except the government... loans.

Izayoi

Banned
Been running benchmarks in preparation for my new machine later today.

It's astounding how far graphics have come in ten years.

Twig

Banned
So, twice now today, I've started up Frozen Synapse (an entirely non-demanding game!) and my screen has gone blue, with lighter-blue vertical stripes.

What's happening?! D:

(Seems like it's similar to what's happened in the past when older video cards have overheated, but it's Frozen Synapse, sooo!)

Izayoi

Banned
Twig said:
So, twice now today, I've started up Frozen Synapse (an entirely non-demanding game!) and my screen has gone blue, with lighter-blue vertical stripes.

What's happening?! D:

(Seems like it's similar to what's happened in the past when older video cards have overheated, but it's Frozen Synapse, sooo!)
Check your GPU usage with the game running in windowed mode and see if it's pegged or not.

Sometimes older games can peg your GPU and you'll be spitting out hundreds of unnecessary frames.

Duelist

Any recommendations on a good single graphics in the price range of $400-$500? I'm currently building a gaming/graphics rig and I want one single card that I can accompany with another down the road if I need more power.

scogoth

Duelist said:
Any recommendations on a good single graphics in the price range of $400-$500? I'm currently building a gaming/graphics rig and I want one single card that I can accompany with another down the road if I need more power.
GTX580

mr2xxx

Banned
Duelist said:

Only option you have at that price range is the 580 GTX. The tier below that is the 570 GTX & 6970 but those are at 350 and under.

What RTS is that, I'm guessing Supreme Commander cause thats the only one with mechs that I can think of.

Lime

mr2xxx said:
Only option you have at that price range is the 580 GTX. The tier below that is the 570 GTX & 6970 but those are at 350 and under.

What RTS is that, I'm guessing Supreme Commander cause thats the only one with mechs that I can think of.

Total Annihilation. Close enough though. If you haven't played it, you need to do it asap.

Twig

Banned
Izayoi said:
Check your GPU usage with the game running in windowed mode and see if it's pegged or not.

Sometimes older games can peg your GPU and you'll be spitting out hundreds of unnecessary frames.
Well it's a new game (just released yesterday), but I'll check anyway.

I don't know what "pegged" means, though. That it's being used way more than it should?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom