• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

Modern computer components are almost completely foolproof. Don't overthink it.

edit: the only think which might be unnerving at first, is the pressure needed to unclamp/clamp the CPU socket.

Also USB cable into FireWire header. But you weren't going to use FireWire anyway right.

Usually facing forwards, so the air draws in there(its an intake fan) and exits to the back of your case(likely where your exhaust fan is).
Ok cool. Ive got my SSD and Im trying to see where it goes in the NZXT source 210. Do I need a 2.5" bay or something? All the hard drive spaces at the front seem way too big

Azulsky

Ok cool. Ive got my SSD and Im trying to see where it goes in t
he NZXT source 210. Do I need a 2.5" bay or something? All the hard drive spaces at the front seem way too big
It should line up with a retention mechanism on the side whether it be screws or proprietary tool less.

Or just put it on the floor of the case until u get an adapter

Piano

Banned
Okay, switched a few things around:
tSPZbv6.png

Had to add a mouse because the middle click on mine is dying. Stuck with the MSI video card since they price and performance seem similar and I've had years and years of great experiences with MSI video cards.

Does that look good, or are there any other no brainer switches?

Okay, think I'm going to pull the trigger today if nobody has any other suggestions!
Thanks guys.

Addnan

I cant for the life of me find any such place to fit the SSD. What do you mean by retention mechanism?

I don't think that case has a mounting place for an SSD, but don't worry just secure it so the cables don't come out. Just use tape or double sided tape and stick it to you case floor or something.

Danj

On Wed 21/08/2013 08:26:58 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xB902A)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x58, 0x7, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002DC04D2)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So are there some newer drivers I should try? These seem a bit long in the tooth as they are from the beginning of July.

EDIT: came across this which suggests uninstalling a duff Windows update: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/502263/win-7-x64-stop-error/page-2

Jeb

So I got a little messy with the thermal paste.
o5k9LDv

As you can see, I got a bit on the logo, would that be an issue?

680 for £216 excl. delivery, Jesus fucking Christ

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-156-MS
holy shit.

cheapest one in Croatia is ~£350 at the moment...
o5k9LDv

whoa...did you manually spread the paste or did you made a drop, placed the cooler then removed the cooler? Either way, the amount of paste seems excessive.

Read the OP:

"Thermal Paste: Apply as a ~4mm ball to the CPU. Press the heatsink down and tighten. Line method is ok. Application matters way less than you think. If you take the heatsink off, clean it with alcohol and reapply or you will trap air."

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

Zaph

o5k9LDv.jpg

Wow, were you trying to install a heatsink or ice a cake?

I'd clean that off (either a dedicated solution or 99% alcohol) and start again.

Addnan

Clean that up best you can. Pea method is the easiest method. Pea sized in the middle and let the heatsink take care of the spreading.

Jeb

Wow, were you trying to install a heatsink or ice a cake?

I'd clean that off (either a dedicated solution or 99% alcohol) and start again.

After some heatsink mishaps its much lighter now, can't show you though since I forgot the post and installed the heat sink.
How important is it to double check? the heatsink was a bitch to install.

Jeb

Also, I want to install the graphics card, there are more than one slot, am I supposed to install it on the first one or can I put it on the second which could get me better air flow since it is a bit further away from the heat sink.

Also, I want to install the graphics card, there are more than one slot, am I supposed to install it on the first one or can I put it on the second which could get me better air flow since it is a bit further away from the heat sink.
The first one (closest to the CPU).

kharma45

It goes in the X16 slot, it's generally the one at the top and it's the longest of them all (unless you have two on your board)

Piano

Banned
What's the difference between the Samsung 840 and Samsung 840 EVO? EVO seems to have better performance for a comparabe price - any reason I shouldn't go for it?

kharma45

What's the difference between the Samsung 840 and Samsung 840 EVO? EVO seems to have better performance for a comparabe price - any reason I shouldn't go for it?

EVO has an SLC cache, pretty cool bit of tech on it. If the price difference is minimal get the EVO.

Samsung EVO is sort of the revision of the Samsung 840. It it not everywhere is stock or can be for a sometimes much) higher price. If both of those are not the case, then go for it, there are no disadvantages where I am aware off. It also about matches the performance of the Samsung 840 Pro.

kennah

Any advice on cable management and putting things together in this little guy?

Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case

I've never had a case like this before, so just wondering if there's anything I need to know about fitting everything in there correctly.

Shove shove and more shove. PROTIP - you can route cables under the video card where it meets the back of the case.

BUY A PACKAGE OF ZIPTIES - use them everywhere.

You can also route cables behind the motherboard - tricky but possible. Also can just kinda stuff them under there once done.

Trasher

Shove shove and more shove. PROTIP - you can route cables under the video card where it meets the back of the case.

BUY A PACKAGE OF ZIPTIES - use them everywhere.

You can also route cables behind the motherboard - tricky but possible. Also can just kinda stuff them under there once done.

Haha, figured I'd probably need to get some.

What are the basic rules for cables? Just make sure they aren't touching anything?

Mad Max

Weekend project for my 4770k, am I forgetting anything?

Wondering if I should re-glue the IHS afterwards? Some people glue, others just place it on top then reattach the heatsink. If I don't, could the tiny vibrations from the H60's block pump cause an issue?

Also, is lapping worth the time? Or should I just clean off the glue residue and leave it at that? Apparently it's like a 1-2c difference at best?

All you're missing is a piece of wood :p. Still you should probably go with a steel hammer for this as a rubber one will make it a lot harder for you.

About the IHS: Don't glue it back on, the retention from the socket bracket is more than enough to hold the cpu + IHS in place. Lapping is often a waste of time unless you're not getting proper contact between IHS and the cooler.

Trasher

Nah, they can touch stuff, just make sure they aren't obstructing any fans. SHOVE SHOVE SHOVE

Haha, alright.

By the way, is there a specific reason this case was recommended to me (I'm assuming it was because it wasn't very expensive/was on sale)? Are they just one of the best bargain ones or something? And is there a reason or benefit for why these sized cases are good? Or is it just a preference thing for people that don't like the tall tower cases?

Addnan

Haha, alright.

By the way, is there a specific reason this case was recommended to me (I'm assuming it was because it wasn't very expensive/was on sale)? Are they just one of the best bargain ones or something? And is there a reason or benefit for why these sized cases are good? Or is it just a preference thing for people that don't like the tall tower cases?

Because you are getting an ITX motherboard from mkenyon!

You can get a bitfenix prodigy which is slightly bigger and is also itx.

I'd just like to warn everyone in here that MSI are scam artists when it comes to rebates.

Here's a few links that echo what I'm currently dealing with:
http://msi.dinofly.com/
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/msi-scams-buyers-on-rebates/
http://consumerist.com/2010/03/22/dont-count-on-that-rebate-from-msi/

Here's a log of my experience.

TL;DR — I applied for a rebate for my GeForce GTX 760, sent everything they needed. My rebate was declined because my invoice was not the "correct" invoice, even though it was the only once I received with my TigerDirect package. I sent the same invoice to ASUS for a rebate, and it was approved.

Me said:
Hello MSI team,

I was just notified that my rebate for the GeForce GTX 760 was declined due
to a missing invoice. Here is the rebate tracking link:

[REDACTED]

If you view the documentation, my invoice is clearly displayed on page 2. I
know it is a valid invoice because ASUS just accepted my rebate using this
same documentation. I was authorized one additional resubmission
opportunity, but as that was the only invoice I received with my shipment,
I do not know what other invoice MSI could possibly be asking for. This is
why I believe it is a mistake on your end.

Paul

MSI said:
Hello,
Please resubmit a copy of your invoice via Fax to:954-573-6751
Be sure to include your tacking#.
Or mail via USPS to the address on your rebate form.
Thank You

Raymonde

I sent the fax. 9 days passed:

Me said:
Hello,

I am just following up. Did you ever receive my fax? Is my rebate set to be approved?

I can resend the fax if need be.

- Paul

MSI said:
Dear sir:

Our records show that we received a copy of the packing slip. Unfortunately the rebate required the invoice. Your claim has been declined. If you want to speak to a live customer service representative we will be more then happy to assist you. Please contact customer service at 1-800-286-9146.

Thanks

Lucrecia

And that's when I realized I was getting scammed. The packing slip IS the invoice. It is the most ridiculous nitpick imaginable to ask for the online invoice instead of the paper one that comes with the package. I kinda... lost it after this. I sent a pretty nasty response, which I regret because now they won't work with me:

Me said:
I don't understand. I explained that I originally sent you my invoice, along with my rebate slip and SKU barcode. This same 3-part package was accepted by ASUS without any issues. You asked me to fax it over again, so I did. What grounds do you have to decline me? Missing invoice? I sent it to you twice! I sent everything that was necessary.

This is ridiculous. I thought MSI was a stand-up company that cared about its customers. Instead I'm getting some shady red-tape response that I didn't include an invoice, when I quite obviously did (twice). Is it THAT hard for your company to part with $10? Unbelievable. If I don't get an email response telling me that my rebate is approved by the end of the day, you will be getting a call from me. And you will certainly not be getting any more business from me, and I will be sure to share my bad customer service experience on the web (reddit, NeoGAF, etc.).

MSI said:
Packing List received twice although required was the invoice which is located online - Claim Declined

Additional assistance please contact customer service number 1-877-552-3988.Please have tracking number readily available before contacting an agent.

Alexandra

Here's me trying to reign it in and send a more calm, yet stern, response (though I am still fucking livid as I type it):

Me said:
MSI,

Please allow me to clarify:

The "packing list" is the invoice. It is the only invoice I received from TigerDirect — it is my proof of purchase. To make sure of this, I contacted TigerDirect and they confirmed that their end user invoice is legitimate for any and all rebate purposes. The "packing slip" I sent you has all the properties of an invoice, and all the information that MSI would need. Any further information that would need to be included in the invoice is MSI’s responsibility to clarify before promoting a rebate to U.S customers — if there is doubt with the legitimacy of my invoice, I strongly urge MSI to contact TigerDirect to resolve this issue.

I anticipate that MSI will accept my rebate, upon review of this information.

Paul

And here's their final response:

MSI said:
If you want to speak to a live customer service representative we will be more then happy to assist you. Please contact customer service at 1-800-286-9146.
Thanks

Additional assistance please contact customer service number 1-877-552-3988.Please have tracking number readily available before contacting an agent.

Lucrecia

Fucking assholes.

kennah

Haha, alright.

Yeah, because there isn't much point in getting a big case with an ITX board. The node is FUCKING BEAUTIFUL and quiet. You could get a Prodigy instead, htey're a little bigger, easier to work in, still ok looking. Other options are the Silverstone SG05 (which is an ugly Node), Lian Li has some nice options but they're more expensive.

That said - cases are a personal choice, take a look around on NewEgg to see what is out there.

The Node is really awesome though.

knitoe

I'd just like to warn everyone in here that MSI are scam artists when it comes to rebates.

Here's a few links that echo what I'm currently dealing with:
http://msi.dinofly.com/
http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/msi-scams-buyers-on-rebates/
http://consumerist.com/2010/03/22/dont-count-on-that-rebate-from-msi/

Here's a log of my experience.

TL;DR — I applied for a rebate for my GeForce GTX 760, sent everything they needed. My rebate was declined because my invoice was not the "correct" invoice, even though it was the only once I received with my TigerDirect package. I sent the same invoice to ASUS for a rebate, and it was approved.

I sent the fax. 9 days passed:

And that's when I realized I was getting scammed. The packing slip IS the invoice. It is the most ridiculous nitpick imaginable to ask for the online invoice instead of the paper one that comes with the package. I kinda... lost it after this. I sent a pretty nasty response, which I regret because now they won't work with me:

Here's me trying to reign it in and send a more calm, yet stern, response (though I am still fucking livid as I type it):

And here's their final response:

Fucking assholes.
Why can't you just log into Tigerdirect, check the order details, that should be the invoice, and then, send or fax that?

Trasher

Yeah, because there isn't much point in getting a big case with an ITX board. The node is FUCKING BEAUTIFUL and quiet. You could get a Prodigy instead, htey're a little bigger, easier to work in, still ok looking. Other options are the Silverstone SG05 (which is an ugly Node), Lian Li has some nice options but they're more expensive.

That said - cases are a personal choice, take a look around on NewEgg to see what is out there.

The Node is really awesome though.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was mainly just curious to see the reasons for getting one. I think it looks pretty sweet from the pictures I've looked at. So this specific case is built for housing an ITX board? As in the ITX board allows you to choose between a tower and the smaller Node whereas other boards require the tower style cases?

kennah

Cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was mainly just curious to see the reasons for getting one. I think it looks pretty sweet from the pictures I've looked at. So this specific case is built for housing an ITX board? As in the ITX board allows you to choose between a tower and the smaller Node whereas other boards require the tower style cases?

Basically yeah. Tiny cases are the best. I can never go back to a regular tower again.
photos-102.jpg

Trasher

Are they considered better or just as good for airflow? It would seem at first glance that being smaller like that might mean it gets hotter in there quicker, but what the heck do I know. Sorry for the dumb questions. All of this is just new to me haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom