• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
no

but you have a "K" chip, it exists to be overclocked.
if you dont overclock it, it becomes a waste.
and sad
and depressed
then it slowly comes to hate you and plot against you in your sleep.....

Hahaha.
are there any huge gains for overclocking the cpu if I have an 780 acx? I feel more comfortable leaving the cpu alone. Precision X seems to be more of a simple way to get gains. I actually thought i needed a k for gpu overclocks. Go figure. Guess I will get the non k chip.

Seeing the recent overclock discussion and having my new 3570k I wondered one thing that I never understood about OC'ing CPUs, can I overclock the CPU to lets say 4ghz but only on-demand? I know in a normal non-overclocked state CPUs downclock themselves to like 800mhz on weak load but will it also stay this way after a overclock? It seems like a huge waste to leave a CPU always running at 4ghz when I'm only sitting on the desktop :/

kharma45

Probably I still have a disc drive somewhere in the house, since I'm not ordering one now. So that should be the only thing to worry.

So, what about a lower price for Win?

Also, any things that I should know when I start putting all the stuff together? Like, should static be a big enough concern to order a strap?

Yep that's the only issue with the OEM one, needs a disc to install. As for deals on Windows they generally don't happen, only way to get it cheap (or free) is through education. Flubit might get you a bit of a discount.

No need for a static strap, just ground yourself on the case. Also don't get your 7950 through Amazon, no free games. Which one are you looking at with them?

Hahaha.
are there any huge gains for overclocking the cpu if I have an 780 acx? I feel more comfortable leaving the cpu alone. Precision X seems to be more of a simple way to get gains. I actually thought i needed a k for gpu overclocks. Go figure. Guess I will get the non k chip.

Yes, a lot of stuff is CPU dependent still. You're talking an easy 20-30% boost in performance. GPU wise they can all overclock, the only locks are the voltages on some so you can only go so far.

Seeing the recent overclock discussion and having my new 3570k I wondered one thing that I never understood about OC'ing CPUs, can I overclock the CPU to lets say 4ghz but only on-demand? I know in a normal non-overclocked state CPUs downclock themselves to like 800mhz on weak load but will it also stay this way after a overclock? It seems like a huge waste to leave a CPU always running at 4ghz when I'm only sitting on the desktop :/

Yes, it can be set to scale up and down from 1.6 usually up to your top OC. Voltages will also scale too, which is the important bit rather than clock speed as they dictate heat, power use and lifespan more than clock.

Bleeether

I have a i5 3570k @4.6ghz - 1.2volts. I have cpuz open right now and my clock stays locked in around 4599.92ghz-4.600.14ghz. It doesn't down clock when im not doing anything.

what exactly do you mean that it seems like a huge waste? Are we talking power consumption? Do you mean that because your cpu isn't over clocked your wasting its potential?

I have a i5 3570k @4.6ghz - 1.2volts. I have cpuz open right now and my clock stays locked in around 4599.92ghz-4.600.14ghz. It doesn't down clock when im not doing anything.

what exactly do you mean that it seems like a huge waste? Are we talking power consumption? Do you mean that because your cpu isn't over clocked your wasting its potential?

I'm not sure about Ivy Bridge, but Haswell has an adaptive voltage settings that lets it downclock when idling. You just got to watch out for programs with AVX,AVX2 codes, it results in a huge voltage spike above your maximum set value.

kennah

Hahaha.
You'd see bigger gains from a CPU overclock than a GPU overclock. And they are less risky.

Bleeether

I'm not sure about Ivy Bridge, but Haswell has an adaptive voltage settings that lets it downclock when idling. You just got to watch out for programs with AVX,AVX2 codes, it results in a huge voltage spike above your maximum set value.

I'm going to have to read up on Haswell, i virtually know nothing about it. Just from reading a few posts here and there, what i understand is it uses a new socket and consumes a little less power.

Did a quick google search on AVX/AVX2, i have no idea what that is (all i do i gaming on my rig). If i do get a power spike all that will happen is a blue screen right?

Reckoner

Yep that's the only issue with the OEM one, needs a disc to install. As for deals on Windows they generally don't happen, only way to get it cheap (or free) is through education. Flubit might get you a bit of a discount.

No need for a static strap, just ground yourself on the case. Also don't get your 7950 through Amazon, no free games. Which one are you looking at with them?

To ground myself I just need to put one hand on the metal part of the case, right? No need for it to be plugged?

The thing with amazon is that I get free shipping through MRW

Ieu

To ground myself I just need to put one hand on the metal part of the case, right? No need for it to be plugged?

Plugged in but not switched on. Just need that earth connection really.

Azulsky

I'm going to have to read up on Haswell, i virtually know nothing about it. Just from reading a few posts here and there, what i understand is it uses a new socket and consumes a little less power.

Did a quick google search on AVX/AVX2, i have no idea what that is (all i do i gaming on my rig). If i do get a power spike all that will happen is a blue screen right?

Haswell does have better single threaded performance than Ivy/Sandy.

Its just not that much better than Sandy/Ivy so its only worth it if you can include it in your budget after you get the requisite video card(by far the largest determining factor of your gaming experience) and other stuff.

Likewise if you dont have the budget for i7 dont get it. Its good but Hyperthreading is not $100 more good. At high resolution/settings a last gen Nehalem looks just like a Haswell.

Yes, it can be set to scale up and down from 1.6 usually up to your top OC. Voltages will also scale too, which is the important bit rather than clock speed as they dictate heat, power use and lifespan more than clock.

Well now I'm confused, does the scaling only apply to Haswell or Ivy Bridge too now? And I meant waste because in theory if a CPU runs with higher than normal voltage over a long time it will produce way more heat causing it wear out faster :/

bro1

Banned
I'm getting crazy voltage readings in GPUZ in idle mode. from .086 on up. just crazy charts. I called MSI about my card (GTX 770 Gaming) and they said it was ok. I have a silverstone PSU 600 strider silver edtion. card or psu? thougths?

It's a type of code. For some reason it makes Haswell's voltage spike up past the maximum adaptive voltage you set up. I'm not sure if it does the same for Ivy Bridge or not. Thankfully not much games run that code.

I opened up my Fractal Design R4 case so I can see how it looks and all that before I start putting things together on thursday and the manual recommends that I put ssd's behind the mobo tray. I never heard of putting drives behind the motherboard so I just wanted to check with fellow R4 owners on this. Do you guys do that with your SSD or do you just use the hdd tray with some bracket?

Azulsky

Remove socks

Preferably relocate to non carpeted location

Install the PSU(screw it down).

Plug it in to the wall or powerstrip

Touch case

Azulsky

It's a type of code. For some reason it makes Haswell's voltage spike up past the maximum adaptive voltage you set up. I'm not sure if it does the same for Ivy Bridge or not. Thankfully not much games run that code.

Advanced Vector eXtension is the latest ISA extension for x86.

They are SIMD instructions(Single Issue Multiple Dispatch). Its a single instruction that can operation on multiple data points at the same time. For instance copying a word(32/64/128 bit) to a number of registers simultaneously. Useful for multimedia applications which are not dependant on 'speed'(frequency) per se but bandwidth.

Implementation on compiler backends is still immature, therefore a person has to program it manually. Its is used everywhere for workstation applications(media transcoding for example).

I forces higher power usage because the register file and functional blocks take up large chunks of die.

Question about dual monitors:

If I have both running at 1080p, but only one for gaming (other would have twitter/chat, etc), is that going to impact gaming performance?

Bleeether

I opened up my Fractal Design R4 case so I can see how it looks and all that before I start putting things together on thursday and the manual recommends that I put ssd's behind the mobo tray. I never heard of putting drives behind the motherboard so I just wanted to check with fellow R4 owners on this. Do you guys do that with your SSD or do you just use the hdd tray with some bracket?

With an SSD, you can pretty much stick it anywhere it fits... within reason of course. Im not familiar with the Fractal R4 case, but i am assuming it is like most modern cases that have room behind where the mobo mounts to hide all the wiring. To answer your question, yes its fine to mount your SSD behind the mobo. You can use mounts or even something like some heavy duty double sided sticky tape or velcro to attach it.

Reckoner

dunno yet, hence why I said depending on what they offer up next. you dont have to use the card asap. you can use it anytime up till end of year(?)

we're all wagering BF4 will be included at least

that would be great! was Bf3 included last year with some card?

btw, if there is already some card that includes bioshock infinite or max payne 3 it would be cool for me too

JDHarbs

Made a couple of small changes to my parts list. Unless anyone can think of any problems with it then I think I'll start ordering soon.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HhGj

Your Current Specs: None
Budget: $600-$900 (US)
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (mainly PS2), 3D/Model work (Maya/UDK), General Usage (Word, Chrome, 720p playback)
Monitor Resolution: Have a 720p tv w/ PC input (likely to upgrade later)
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Need to run Maya and UDK well. Would like to run current gen games at 60fps, next gen at 30fps. PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA are NOT important.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't have any.
When will you build?: Within next month or two.
Will you be overclocking?: No.

statham

I contacted now a seller. Is there a way to look at his feedback to see if I can trust him?

If logged in you will see something to the left of his name called "flair", it'll show how many successful trades that person has done. I also check his post history to see how long he's been on.

Dawg

So $20 on reddit for W8 is legit huh? Don't have an account there but that's an excellent price. I'm EU though, does it matter if they offer US keys?

Bleeether

So $20 on reddit for W8 is legit huh? Don't have an account there but that's an excellent price. I'm EU though, does it matter if they offer US keys?

seems like a scam tbh. thats pretty cheap. Ive never done reddit trade so, idk .

can u post a link

Reckoner

If logged in you will see something to the left of his name called "flair", it'll show how many successful trades that person has done. I also check his post history to see how long he's been on.

I see something that when I hover the mouse it says +1 trades. is that it?

Reckoner

thats it, but like everything on the internet, its buyers beware. I've done 3 trades on it and mine says 1+

right. dude seems to have been helping people and selling keys for quite some time (more than a year). looks like a good deal. already contacted him

statham

right. dude seems to have been helping people and selling keys for quite some time (more than a year). looks like a good deal. already contacted him
I've found a couple of good deals on other PC parts, I recently bought a motherboard that was in great condition for 2/3 of the price it goes for on ebay.

Reckoner

btw, you guys were talking about the free games that some cards bring. I found out about the AMD Rewards, that comes with some selected cards (including this one, which I'm interested). Is it still a good deal and am I going to lose anything on getting a MSI instead of the Sapphire version?

moho-foe

Neo Member
So I am a long time lurker first time poster, I want to thank everyone in this thread including kenyon.

I need some advice on a mobo, I have decided on a 3770k. The system would be used for gaming and some streaming I want to go with a M-ATX build. I want to spend up to $150 but if I can get something cheeper thats cool.

I am looking at the Asus P8Z77-M Pro ($125.00) I am also wanting to try to OC it as well I will start with air but move to water later on. Is this a good board or is there anything better for OC in that price range from MSI or Gigabyte? I want to get the best bang for my buck.

Anyone here from Germany have experiences with Alternate.de and Radeon 7xxx cards? I normally have no problems with them but for some reason it's been two days and my order still is set as "Order is being processed" which usually never takes longer than a day and now after googling I found that for some reason they seem to take their time with 7xxx cards :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
btw, you guys were talking about the free games that some cards bring. I found out about the AMD Rewards, that comes with some selected cards (including this one, which I'm interested). Is it still a good deal and am I going to lose anything on getting a MSI instead of the Sapphire version?
Call them
So I am a long time lurker first time poster, I want to thank everyone in this thread including kenyon.

I need some advice on a mobo, I have decided on a 3770k. The system would be used for gaming and some streaming I want to go with a M-ATX build. I want to spend up to $150 but if I can get something cheeper thats cool.

I am looking at the Asus P8Z77-M Pro ($125.00) I am also wanting to try to OC it as well I will start with air but move to water later on. Is this a good board or is there anything better for OC in that price range from MSI or Gigabyte? I want to get the best bang for my buck.
Avoid. You can look for used Gene V or an MATX ASRock board.
Anyone here from Germany have experiences with Alternate.de and Radeon 7xxx cards? I normally have no problems with them but for some reason it's been two days and my order still is set as "Order is being processed" which usually never takes longer than a day and now after googling I found that for some reason they seem to take their time with 7xxx cards :/
Call them
I'm getting crazy voltage readings in GPUZ in idle mode. from .086 on up. just crazy charts. I called MSI about my card (GTX 770 Gaming) and they said it was ok. I have a silverstone PSU 600 strider silver edtion. card or psu? thougths?
Elaborate? Cards moving from 2D idle to non idle voltage is normal.

Casanova

Definitely considering building a PC using the template from the OP, somewhere around the $800 range.

But, before I do that, could someone who knows what they're talking about tell me if the Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p laptop(specs below) would be able to handle LoL on High Settings at 60-90 FPS?:

Processor
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating System
Windows 8 64
Display
14.0" HD+ Glossy LED Backlit with integrated camera 1600x900
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
Memory
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive
1TB 5400 RPM
Optical Drive
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
Network Card
Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
Bluetooth
Bluetooth Version 4.0
Warranty
One year
Pointing Device
Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
Battery
6 Cell Lithium-Ion

I'm asking specifically because LoL is basically the only game I play on PC, as a lot of my friends play it and it provides a great way to hang out since we're all in college and very busy all the time. I am mainly a console gamer (PS3 and Xbox 360) and I am also purchasing the PS4 upon release.

I need a laptop for school anyway, so I really hope this will handle my needs. If not, what kind of specs would I be looking at with this laptop? Of course, if it can't handle my needs, I'll gladly drop some cash to build a PC, and save up to buy a laptop sometime in the near future - but this would be my #1 option if it can, in fact, handle it.

EDIT: I know there is a gaming laptop thread but I wanted to post here for a quick answer to my question and if it won't work out, I would begin to build my own PC by posting in this thread periodically for guidance and advice.

Professor

Neo Member
Quick question, I need to connect two devices via an Ethernet cable, however I only have one ether net port available to me. Will I need a router or will an ethernet switch work as well?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Definitely considering building a PC using the template from the OP, somewhere around the $800 range.

But, before I do that, could someone who knows what they're talking about tell me if the Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p laptop(specs below) would be able to handle LoL on High Settings at 60-90 FPS?:

EDIT: I know there is a gaming laptop thread but I wanted to post here for a quick answer to my question and if it won't work out, I would begin to build my own PC by posting in this thread periodically for guidance and advice.
I just bought one to setup for someone else, so I'll post in the laptop thread about it when I get it.

It should be more than enough for Medium at 60FPS I would think.

Anton668

in the US students[or ppl who know students ;) ] can get any copy of windows for $20
though there is a limit

Ok guys these are the specs I've decided on for my new setup & I'm going to pick the parts up tomorrow.

My MO is to be able to play most current games as maxed out as I can & be able to play future games comfortably for the next 2-3 years.

Any suggestions/edits I should consider?

>> Intel BX80646I54670 Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell Boxed CPU
>> Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 S1150/4xDDR3/6xPCI-E/ SATA3/USB3.0/HDMI/DVI-D/DP/GBLAN/RAID/ATX MB
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133 F3-17000CL11D- 8GBXL
>> Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD SDSSDHP-256G-Q25 256G SAT A3 SSD
WD 3.5" Black 1TB WD1002FAEX SATA3 7200rpm HDD
>>> Pioneer BDR-208BDK OEM Blu-Ray Writer
> Gigabyte N770OC-4GD 4G GTX 770 PCI-E VGA Card
>> Fractal Design Define R4 Black USB3 Mid Tower Case Wi thout PSU
>> Antec HCG-750M 750W High Current Gamer 'Modular' Ga ming PSU

Thanks!

kharma45

Made a couple of small changes to my parts list. Unless anyone can think of any problems with it then I think I'll start ordering soon.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1HhGj

Get a 7950 over the 660, much better card for not much more. Powercolor PCS+ one is $180, Gigabyte WF $200.

Since emulation is important get an overclockable system like this, will benefit from it

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($325.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.94 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($37.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $823.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-25 04:14 EDT-0400)

About $30 more but worth it. You'll be able to overclock a bit on the stock cooler but do get the full potential from the CPU you'd need to spend another $20 on one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It'd also make your rig quieter too. I see you're looking to do Maya and UDK. From a quick Google I can't see any downsides to AMD since it's not a CUDA program.

Ok guys these are the specs I've decided on for my new setup & I'm going to pick the parts up tomorrow.

My MO is to be able to play most current games as maxed out as I can & be able to play future games comfortably for the next 2-3 years.

Any suggestions/edits I should consider?

>> Intel BX80646I54670 Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB LGA1150 Haswell Boxed CPU
>> Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Intel Z87 S1150/4xDDR3/6xPCI-E/ SATA3/USB3.0/HDMI/DVI-D/DP/GBLAN/RAID/ATX MB
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 2133 F3-17000CL11D- 8GBXL
>> Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD SDSSDHP-256G-Q25 256G SAT A3 SSD
WD 3.5" Black 1TB WD1002FAEX SATA3 7200rpm HDD
>>> Pioneer BDR-208BDK OEM Blu-Ray Writer
> Gigabyte N770OC-4GD 4G GTX 770 PCI-E VGA Card
>> Fractal Design Define R4 Black USB3 Mid Tower Case Wi thout PSU
>> Antec HCG-750M 750W High Current Gamer 'Modular' Ga ming PSU

Thanks!

Prices? What are you using the PC for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom