• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Getting closer to final build and shipping. One last question;

ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC - $260
ASUS GTX 780 3GB OC - $520 (was $699)

Which is the better buy and should I pull the trigger on? Also, if I do go the 780 route, will I need to upgrade my 650w PSU?

ss_lemonade

So my vg248qe arrives and man, I didn't expect 120/144hz to look so glorious.

I currently have no speakers at the moment so I have to rely on the built in speakers. Is it normal for it to produce a hissing, static like sound when upping the volume? I could hear it too when using my earphones plugged to the monitor

Chris_C

I have the exact same TV and never had problems hooking it up to the PC. Never did anything special to get it to display a picture. I did have problems getting 720p to resolution to scale correctly but that seems to be fixed on either with a driver update from AMD or something. In fact this TV won't even switch to an hdmi input unless something is plugged into the port.

Have you tried having both the monitor and the TV connected up at the same time? That way you should be able to look at your display settings for HDMI on your normal monitor and get them set to something that would work once that is disconnected?

Just wanted to say thanks to you both, I've got everything set up now :)

Barzul

Guys I need help making a decision. I recently upgraded my gpu to a gtx 760 but my CPU is pretty crap. FX 4100 and it's seriously affecting my Skyrim performance. Should I upgrade my CPU to an FX 8320 or 8350, or just go intel with an i5 3470, but I'll have to get a new mobo. I might be able to stretch to an i5-3570k, but I'm hoping for some good black Friday sales for that. So go Intel or stick with AMD? I'm using my PC mostly for gaming so that is the most important factor in my decision.

nbthedude

Question:

I am putting together a PC out of spare parts plus some new parts for a buddy but not all the parts will be here until later this week.

I am giving him an old harrdrive, which I want to load up with Steam games. My download speeds are SLOW so what would be the best way to go ahead and get a head start on downloading these.

I currently have the harddrive in another PC. Should I just start installing games on it? I know when I put this HD with a new motherboard I'll need to verify and put in a new Wimdows key (also ordered a new copy of Windows), but will this work besides plugging in the new key when I move the harddrive?

Is there a better/easier way?

kennah

Getting closer to final build and shipping. One last question;

ASUS GTX 760 2GB OC - $260
ASUS GTX 780 3GB OC - $520 (was $699)

Which is the better buy and should I pull the trigger on? Also, if I do go the 780 route, will I need to upgrade my 650w PSU?

These are both very good value so it's really up to you for what you feel comfortable spending.

Neither one will require a psu upgrade.

Ban Puncher

These are both very good value so it's really up to you for what you feel comfortable spending.

Neither one will require a psu upgrade.

Price isn't necessarily the issue, it's more do I get the 760 and see what next year brings or pay double and get the 780 now while it is on sale.

A few months back I just bought the 760 and I'll just wait for Maxwell or it's 2nd iteration. We don't know how next generation games will run on certain cards. I'll wait it out a bit.

Red Comet

I put my OS on SSD and everything else on HDD, but that's me.

Newegg is getting hammered.

It's cheaper and you get more storage space going with a smaller SSD and HDD. If you can afford a 1TB SSD, and it provides all the space you need, go ahead since it will provide the fastest performance. Personally, I went the SSDs and HDDs option. I have over 2TB of Steam games. No way that will fit on even the largest SSD. If I need the speed, I just move whatever game I am currently playing to the SSD, with programs lik Steam Mover. So, I still get the best of both worlds.

Current storage setup:
2X128GB Raid 0 Samsung 830 SSDs (OS and programs)
2X250GB Raid 0 Samsung 840 SSDs (Steam Mover games)
3TB Seagate HDD (Steam, Origin and etc.)
2X2TB Raid 1 Seagate HDD (Backup)

I see. Seems to me that 250 GB SSD would be perfect for me then and I could use the money I save by not buying a TB SSD to buy another GTX 760 for SLI. Thanks for the info.

Knch

anyone here with a reference 290/290x?
how does it performe?

i build a new gaming PC and I put a 290 in it.
the price was just to good.
PC will arive this week.

if it gets annoying I'll get an Accelero Xtreme III.
hope the add a few more heatsinks for the memory units.

Got my Sapphire 290 on friday. Standard config (before the RPM driver update, see anandtech (or others) for details) performs pretty well, adjusting temperature target down and fan speed up does make it quite noisy. But it's mostly an air rushing noise, not fan whine or anything. (This is with my case open and me being very tolerant of noise...)

I'll still be going full custom water on this rig though :D

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Anyone looking at the 780 Ti might want to hold on for custom variants: http://www.techspot.com/review/738-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-780-ti-ghz/page9.html

Overclocking_01.png

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
My Intel NUC Haswell i5 came yesterday...tiny little thing. The intel box makes the intel "jingle" every time you open it. Waiting on my msata drive and then this will be a windows 8.1 server/htpc/dvr.

Reckoner

I'm thinking on selling my 7970 Twin Frozr to buy a R9 290 or GTX 780 (?) this christmas. What do you guys think? And also, how much should I ask for the one month old card in euros?

maneil99

Okay so I occasionally get crashes/hardlocks when my 780 is overclocked to the max with a red checkerboard overlay over the game. I'm guessing its memory related?

I have some noob questions, please:

I want to get into Diablo III, but there is a terrible stutter that I am told is resolved by installing the game to an SSD.

First I am making the jump to USB 3.0. Found a $20 2-slot PCIE card. Any issues I can expect or anything I need to know?

I do not want to go through the effort of replacing my internal hard drive with SSD so I'm looking for an external SSD. Any suggestions? I am having trouble finding a good one online. Thanks!

Barzul

I want to get into Diablo III, but there is a terrible stutter that I am told is resolved by installing the game to an SSD.

First I am making the jump to USB 3.0. Found a $20 2-slot PCIE card. Any issues I can expect or anything I need to know?

I do not want to go through the effort of replacing my internal hard drive with SSD so I'm looking for an external SSD. Any suggestions? I am having trouble finding a good one online. Thanks!

I heard there is a solution by just moving the game files to a jump drive. I'll try and find the forum post that details this. Don't think you need an SSD at all.

This post has a bunch of suggestions and fixes for different issues: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10433523645

kennah

External SSDs are pretty niche and usually very expensive. They'd need to be hooked up through eSATA to gain any real benefit.

HOwever - as the poster above says, some people have a lot of luck running a USB3 Jump drive with Diablo III on it. It's not so much a speed limitation as it is a way that Diablo streams the data - so the stutter comes from it jumping around on the platters instead of just grabbing the info.

Good luck!

NoRéN

Hey, everyone. Need some case advice. Trying to stick to the budget category in the OP and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with those cases.

I've previously owned the CM HAF 912 and I enjoyed it. However, i would like something with USB 3.0 this time around. I'm leaning toward these:

First Choice: Corsair Carbide Series 200R

Second Choice: NZXT Source 210 Elite

I was considering the Bitfenix Shinobi but reviews on newegg aren't as good.

Anyone care to inform me on any of these? Other recommendations welcome. I prefer the case to be black. I also hope that it's quiet(no rattling from any plastic parts, etc).

Thanks for the help everyone.

Quoting for a new page; could really use some suggestions for a triple mount.

Ok guys, I'm desperate, so please help a GAF brother out.

I need a triple monitor mount/stand. I'd prefer freestanding to clamp since my desk is thin and all that weight in the back would be worrisome, but I'll take what I can get.

It needs to be able to securely hold 3 22" monitors; being able to accomodate a future 27" in the middle would be great. I'd like the monitors to be able to be flush with each other, level, and angled inward, up to 30 or 45 degrees.

I was looking at this one, but there's no proper reviews for it I can find and it is really expensive.

I'd prefer cheaper, but fuck it. I bought a cheaper stand and it's been such a pain in the ass I'd rather just spend more and get something good. The one I have has no inward angling, the monitors all face downward from a loose tilt mechanism, and the monitors are uneven. Never again.

NoRéN;89540285 said:
Hey, everyone. Need some case advice. Trying to stick to the budget category in the OP and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with those cases.

I've previously owned the CM HAF 912 and I enjoyed it. However, i would like something with USB 3.0 this time around. I'm leaning toward these:

First Choice: Corsair Carbide Series 200R

Second Choice: NZXT Source 210 Elite

I was considering the Bitfenix Shinobi but reviews on newegg aren't as good.

Anyone care to inform me on any of these? Other recommendations welcome. I prefer the case to be black. I also hope that it's quiet(no rattling from any plastic parts, etc).

Thanks for the help everyone.

I just built a PC using the Cosair 200R. It was easy enough to work with. I had no issues and I think it looks quite nice for a simple case. I just ordered another one for a different build.

NoRéN

I just built a PC using the Cosair 200R. It was easy enough to work with. I had no issues and I think it looks quite nice for a simple case. I just ordered another one for a different build.

How's the airflow? i noticed that it takes the air in through the sides of the front panel? or am I mistaken?

How about cable management?

AcridMeat

Banned
I want that desk.

My luck finally caught up to me regarding newegg's free shipping. I figured my last order would get here in ~2-3 days like the other things I've bought from them in the last week, but this time it's through FedEx. My SSD and disk drive are going to show up 8 days from when I ordered it, when I'm out of town. :(

NoRéN

I want that desk.

My luck finally caught up to me regarding newegg's free shipping. I figured my last order would get here in ~2-3 days like the other things I've bought from them in the last week, but this time it's through FedEx. My SSD and disk drive are going to show up 8 days from when I ordered it, when I'm out of town. :(

Why didn't you sign up for a free trial of shoprunner?

Guys this is my build. Which of these should I update to play the games that are coming out later and keeping up with nextgen consoles?

-AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor 4.00Ghz
-16Gb Ram I don't know which brand. I know its not neat looking like some I've seen here
-Windows 7
-Galaxy Geforce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit
-Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

Quoting for help here guys.

NoRéN

Like I said everything else I ordered with their free shipping got here in 2-3 days. :p

Bastards!

Your drives probably shipped from a different location. Just had that happen to me with something shipping from Wisconsin or something when I'm 10 miles away from their main location.

Irobot82

Guys this is my build. Which of these should I update to play the games that are coming out later and keeping up with nextgen consoles?

-AMD FX 8350 Eight Core Processor 4.00Ghz
-16Gb Ram I don't know which brand. I know its not neat looking like some I've seen here
-Windows 7
-Galaxy Geforce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit
-Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

In the future? Maybe the mobo to a 990FX chipset and the GPU. But you should be fine for another year at least.

AcridMeat

Banned
NoRéN;89543769 said:
Bastards!

Your drives probably shipped from a different location. Just had that happen to me with something shipping from Wisconsin or something when I'm 10 miles away from their main location.
Yeah they are, again just luck catching up to me. Everything else was in state, these are from across the US. :)

Depending on when it shows up I might be able to get the build up and running before I have to leave.

Dawg

I want that desk.

IKEA

diablo 3 stutter issue
I heard there is a solution by just moving the game files to a jump drive. I'll try and find the forum post that details this. Don't think you need an SSD at all.

This post has a bunch of suggestions and fixes for different issues: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10433523645
External SSDs are pretty niche and usually very expensive. They'd need to be hooked up through eSATA to gain any real benefit.

HOwever - as the poster above says, some people have a lot of luck running a USB3 Jump drive with Diablo III on it. It's not so much a speed limitation as it is a way that Diablo streams the data - so the stutter comes from it jumping around on the platters instead of just grabbing the info.

Good luck!
Thanks dudes. I bought a USB 3.0 PCI card and a 64GB USB 3.0 flash drive. Planning on using 32GB for Windows ReadyBoost and the other 32GB for the Diablo III files. So I just need to copy the game directory (in Program Files x86) to the flash drive and point my launcher .exe shortcut to the flash drive files?

Does that sound like a good plan? Second best thing to installing an SSD (which I don't want to do)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom