• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anton668

Come on! At least pretend he's a little right so I don't feel like a complete jabroni.

That was crazy how fast Windows installed. And its so quiet. I'm already in love. My only regret is getting a 128 GB drive. Shouildve just bit the bullet and got a 256

well, in all honesty, installing it out of the case would be much easier. and there are easier to install heatsinks, but the "hot garbage" is hyperbole at best.

???
funny, just installed mine the other day and wasnt really a problem. and thats with the MB installed!

The retention X clamp is needlessly complex and doesn't even really hold the heatsink in place should you want to clip on any fans while the heatsink is installed. At the very least, this is my experience with the Hyper 212+ as if you put a large enough force on the heatsink, it causes it to rotate.

All other modern heatsink designs can be installed onto the CPU with only two screws and the design offers no way for the heatsink to shift. And with those designs, its extremely easy to get very consistently good installs.

Edit: nvm I found what I was looking for. Thanks anyway for all the replies.

Basically, since I'm a total noob, going dual or sli may not be good for me based on some research. I have a hard time already with pcs so sli would just make the work and tinkering more stressful.

Single gpu is better overall, is what I'm reading, less headaches. I immediately thought sli was easy as just putting two cards on one motherboard. Looks like it's more complicated than that, is that about the general consensus on sli vs single?

Anton668

The retention X clamp is needlessly complex and doesn't even really hold the heatsink in place should you want to clip on any fans while the heatsink is installed. At the very least, this is my experience with the Hyper 212+ as if you put a large enough force on the heatsink, it causes it to rotate.

All other modern heatsink designs can be installed onto the CPU with only two screws and the design offers no way for the heatsink to shift. And with those designs, its extremely easy to get very consistently good installs.

needlessly complex? its 4 screws and a cross. again, granted, its much easier to install with the MB out of the case, else you may find yourself for want of a extra hand. and yes, if you really want to, you can exert enough force to move the heatsink. but if youve done it correctly it shouldnt be a issue when installing the MB into the case with it attached.

and as to attaching a second fan, if for some reason you deem, down the road, you need a second fan (on pretty much any tower cooler) why would you gimp yourself by trying to do it while it was installed in your case? youre not giving yourself a lot of room to work, given than a vast majority of setups will be with the first fan blowing across to the rear case fan, youre really going to be limited on space to do adequate work.

Edit: nvm I found what I was looking for. Thanks anyway for all the replies.

Basically, since I'm a total noob, going dual or sli may not be good for me based on some research. I have a hard time already with pcs so sli would just make the work and tinkering more stressful.

Single gpu is better overall, is what I'm reading, less headaches. I immediately thought sli was easy as just putting two cards on one motherboard. Looks like it's more complicated than that, is that about the general consensus on sli vs single?

pretty sure general consensus is its best to go single card for as long as you can until a single card can no longer supply you with desired results

Definitely not four gpu, just a sli. Sorry for the confusion.

Also,

There's this one I was looking at, on the specs it says this:

1 x PCI 16
1 x PCI 4 (1 x PCI 16)

In parenthesis. Does that mean it can work as both a x 4 and x 16?

It also says mechanical and another says x4 mode.

Edit: looks like it has 2 pci 16 slots, one is a 2.0 the other is a 3.0.

Would sli work with these?

Usually, the PCI-E slot that lists x4 is shaped as a x16 slot so that it can run any sized PCI-E card backwards compatible from x16 all the way down to x1, but it will only use 4 lanes or x4 if you will. On my mobo, I have 3 x16 slots with the first two running at 16 or 8 and 8, and the third x16 runs at x4 and is meant for non graphics cards such as capture cards and other add on's that don't require the bandwidth.

SLI should work since PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible. I'm not sure if the 3.0 one will downgrade to 2.0 or not like RAM downgrades to the lowest common denominator when mixing speeds, maybe someone more experienced like Hazaro or Mkenyon can answer that.

fucking r9-290 sold out everywhere (except if you want to pay an extra $20 for the xfx)

Are you talking about the stock cooler ones? If so, take that as a good chance to wait for the non-reference cooler versions to come out that will be quieter and run cooler. They are supposed to come out this month I believe.

I now have what I need to build the second PC for a friend. He still has a ssd coming but I have everything else. Crossing my fingers that none of these parts are defective.

x3sphere

I just installed my second Hyper 212 today and it was a painless install. I'll admit the first time I ran into some difficulty, only because I didn't realize it moved when I was screwing in the retention clamp, so had to start over. For the money it's a great cooler and would use it for a third build easily.

I just installed my second Hyper 212 today and it was a painless install. I'll admit the first time I ran into some difficulty, only because I didn't realize it moved when I was screwing in the retention clamp, so had to start over. For the money it's a great cooler and would use it for a third build easily.

When I installed mine it nudged slightly, I was worried about starting over, but overall I think it's fine. Temps seem very stable. Should I be worried and just reset it? I feel like it will do that no matter what, it's just impossible to keep it completely still with thermal paste there. I guess the issue is if the past smears a lot?

But overall I didn't have any major issues with it and I'm very happy with the cooling results. With it rested in the fan installation is easy.

When I installed mine it nudged slightly, I was worried about starting over, but overall I think it's fine. Temps seem very stable. Should I be worried and just reset it? I feel like it will do that no matter what, it's just impossible to keep it completely still with thermal paste there. I guess the issue is if the past smears a lot?

But overall I didn't have any major issues with it and I'm very happy with the cooling results. With it rested in the fan installation is easy.

If you used the right amount of paste, smearing won't be an issue. And if your temps are stable and cool, you're fine.

If you used the right amount of paste, smearing won't be an issue. And if your temps are stable and cool, you're fine.

Excellent, I'll keep my eye on it just in case. I always worry about the TP application part of building. When stress testing temps seemed really stable, relatively speaking, but I just want to make sure considering stuff did move slightly when installing the cooler.

mkenyon

Banned
Definitely not four gpu, just a sli. Sorry for the confusion.

Also,

There's this one I was looking at, on the specs it says this:

1 x PCI 16
1 x PCI 4 (1 x PCI 16)

In parenthesis. Does that mean it can work as both a x 4 and x 16?

It also says mechanical and another says x4 mode.

Edit: looks like it has 2 pci 16 slots, one is a 2.0 the other is a 3.0.

Would sli work with these?
It will work, but one card will be severely bottlenecked. If you want SLI, you need a motherboard that does x8/x8.

LGA 1155/1150 CPUs only have 16 PCI-E lanes. So, if you want full bandwidth, you need a motherboard that includes a PLX chip, which multiplies the PCI-E lanes. Those boards are all $350+. The other option is LGA 2011, which has 40 PCI-E lanes. So even the basic X79 motherboards have two x16 slots, and one x8 slot.

But, you'll be fine at x8/x8 PCI-E 3.0 with any card that is currently out.
What did they put in this..

Iu4z6DI.png
My jimmies are rustled.

Guys, I know this thread is FILLED with "what should I choose" questions but I'd really appreciate a hand here. I'm building a pro-graphics machine (I'm a working 3D Artist so at the end of the day I need it to just *work* as intended, no time to tweak and tweak or try this and that).

2 questions (at the mo):

I've been looking more towards Haswell than Ivy-Bridge E and spending the difference on GPU - am I better off doing this or is Ivy-Bridge E going to really offer a big improvement (double price)?

Secondly, what is the best GPU? I'm half tempted to go Quadro because of it playing nice with 3D apps but I feel like I'm being ripped off.. which would be the best non-pro GPU to get? I need decent performance and stability. CUDA, Cores, RAM etc. all go over my head I'm afraid. But I'll be working with multi-million polygon meshes and dealing with upto 8k textures.

Any advice appreciated! Cheers.

kennah

Guys, I know this thread is FILLED with "what should I choose" questions but I'd really appreciate a hand here. I'm building a pro-graphics machine (I'm a working 3D Artist so at the end of the day I need it to just *work* as intended, no time to tweak and tweak or try this and that).

2 questions (at the mo):

I've been looking more towards Haswell than Ivy-Bridge E and spending the difference on GPU - am I better off doing this or is Ivy-Bridge E going to really offer a big improvement (double price)?

Secondly, what is the best GPU? I'm half tempted to go Quadro because of it playing nice with 3D apps but I feel like I'm being ripped off.. which would be the best non-pro GPU to get? I need decent performance and stability. CUDA, Cores, RAM etc. all go over my head I'm afraid. But I'll be working with multi-million polygon meshes and dealing with upto 8k textures.

Couple questions first -

What is your overall budget?

Can you give the exact name and version number of the software you'll be using so we can look up recommended hardware.

Jackpot

Banned
So my computer can run your standard UE3 game just fine but now it's starting to show its age. Which component if upgraded would give me best bang for buck?

Win7 x64
Athlon AMD 64 Pro dual core
Ma-790X-ud3p gigabyte mobo
2048Mb RAM
GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5
Corsair TX 650W ATX PSU

I'm looking towards the RAM.

54-46!

Plan on running a 8m HDMI cable for 1080p/60hz from my PC to my TV, do I need to buy an expensive one or will pretty much anything do at that length?

mkenyon

Banned

2 questions (at the mo):

I'm out of my knowledge waters here, but the 780, 780Ti, and Titan are all the same core architecture as Tesla. They're really strong on compute, but I don't know how they stack against each other when it comes to multimedia creation.

My basic guess is 780<Titan<780Ti, unless there is something beneficial about the 6GB VRAM on the Titan.
So my computer can run your standard UE3 game just fine but now it's starting to show its age. Which component if upgraded would give me best bang for buck?

Win7 x64
2048Mb RAM
GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5
Corsair TX 650W ATX PSU

That's DDR2, right? Stuff is crazy expensive right now because it's been phased out. Time to start saving for a new mobo/proc/ram.
Plan on running a 8m HDMI cable for 1080p/60hz from my PC to my TV, do I need to buy an expensive one or will pretty much anything do at that length?
I've had mixed results with monoprice HDMI cables. I've had some that couldn't even do 1080p. That doesn't mean it won't, it's just a factor to consider.

thespot84

Win7 x64
2048Mb RAM
GTX550 Ti 1GB GDDR5
Corsair TX 650W ATX PSU

bang for your buck would probably be ram

mkenyon

Banned
bang for your buck would probably be ram
Actually, seems to have come back down in price for some reason.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

Get that, replace what you have. That'll tide you over for a bit.
The computer as a whole is showing its age... I don't think even a RAM upgrade would help all that much. Better to just save up and do a major upgrade.
On this, if $30-40 on RAM would get you closer to a new machine, then yeah, save. But if getting together $250-300 is going to be difficult and a ways out, go ahead on the RAM.

Still interested to hear someone hash out the details on Windows 8. Is it beneficial as opposed to 7? Why? What are the key improvements?

Seems to be recommended here, but if I see a reason to then I'd like to do it before I continue downloading/installing/configuring stuff.

Couple questions first -

What is your overall budget?

Can you give the exact name and version number of the software you'll be using so we can look up recommended hardware.

Budget upto £1700.. give or take.

Run of the mill software I rely on daily: Maya (2013,2014), Zbrush, Photoshop CS5, Mari 2.0, Nuke.

The standard Haswell bundle I was looking at:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

£900 - so far. Gives me a bit to play around with on the GPU.

kharma45

Still interested to hear someone hash out the details on Windows 8. Is it beneficial as opposed to 7? Why? What are the key improvements?

Seems to be recommended here, but if I see a reason to then I'd like to do it before I continue downloading/installing/configuring stuff.

Generally faster, lots of nice improvements like the file transfer dialog amongst others and supports the newest versions of DirectX for gaming.

7 feels old by comparison when you go back.

Budget upto £1700.. give or take.

Run of the mill software I rely on daily: Maya (2013,2014), Zbrush, Photoshop CS5, Mari 2.0, Nuke.

The standard Haswell bundle I was looking at:

Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

£900 - so far. Gives me a bit to play around with on the GPU.

Go for an 840 Evo instead.

mkenyon

Banned

Because it's newer, supposedly performs better in some new games, and you won't be left out to dry if they require it for some future release.

The downside is additional input lag in games that do not use raw input.

FWIW, I still use 7, and I still prefer it.

thespot84

i prefer the index search feature in the start menu in 8. I'm a gmail user, and the same 'find everything and anything by search' ethos is mirrored in the win8 metro start menu. I press the start key on my keyboard, start typing the first few letters of what I want, and 95% of the time it shows up as the first or second option. It's improved even more in win8.1 over 8, as it now searches 'everything' (files, web, programs, control panel) by default, whereas windows 8 would require you to choose the category.

In that sense I don't 'use' metro at all since I'm not finding a tile and clicking on it, but program/file access has been improved IMO.

As has been said, I also find the core to be snappier than win7. The flatter visual aesthetic is nicer, and the upgrades to UI stuff like the task manager, file transfers etc is an improvement. if you're a student, the full version of pro is $70. A steal if you ask me.

I need to buy a desktop pc that can run visualstudio2012 and win7 with ease. What would you guys recommend? I am a poor student so min spec would be nice. Would such a machine be any good for gaming? I have Borderlands2 on steam. What should i buy to run them? I will try to hunt some used parts and build one or just buy a used pc.
Edit: I have win8.1 from dreamspark if specs can be lowered... last resort is xubuntu what i run in this old ass 256 meg ram laptop. Runs tons better than my 1 gig win 7 laptop that sucks ass(runs vids pics and those 1000x better but generally os runs 100x worse).

mkenyon

Banned
i prefer the index search feature in the start menu in 8. I'm a gmail user, and the same 'find everything and anything by search' ethos is mirrored in the win8 metro start menu. I press the start key on my keyboard, start typing the first few letters of what I want, and 95% of the time it shows up as the first or second option. It's improved even more in win8.1 over 8, as it now searches 'everything' (files, web, programs, control panel) by default, whereas windows 8 would require you to choose the category.
This is a feature that exists in Win 7, was made worse in 8, then went back to how it is in 7 for 8.1.

How the hell do I use D3DOverrider with MSI Afterburner? It installed RivaTuner but I don't see any way to start the application. I don't see a wrench or anything in Afterburner to use D3DO either.

I need to fix Sonic Generations.

jarosh

Quick question:
I've got an older machine here that could use a bit more RAM. I've got 2 x 2 GB DDR3 sticks in there (1333MHz). Thinking of buying a set of 2 x 4 GB. Should I leave the old ones in too? I do have the 4 slots. Would give me 12 gigs. Do I have to make sure the new ones are 1333 MHz too?

kennah

Quick question:
I've got an older machine here that could use a bit more. I've got 2 x 2 GB DDR3 sticks in there (1333MHz). Thinking of buying a set of 2 x 4 GB. Should I leave the old ones in too? I do have the 4 slots. Would give me 12 gigs. Do I have to make sure the new ones are 1333 MHz too?

RAM will down clock to match the slowest type. You do lots of graphics work right? You could certainly go to 12gigs of 1333 exactly how you describe.

Just buy whatever ram you can find cheapest.

2San

How the hell do I use D3DOverrider with MSI Afterburner? It installed RivaTuner but I don't see any way to start the application. I don't see a wrench or anything in Afterburner to use D3DO either.

I need to fix Sonic Generations.
D3DOverrider is in the folder where you installed RivaTuner. You don't need to have afterburner to run D3DO. Mine is located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition\Tools\D3DOverrider

I'm assuming you have it at a similar place.

Non-reference vs Reference board.

Not much difference in core clock speed but the because the classy is a non-reference board, it might have a leg up on the super clocked.

Take all of this with a boulder of salt. I've been looking up info on the cards this past week so memory is still fresh. (kind of)
Is the evga 780sc 3gb hd dr with acx cooling reference or non reference? How can I tell when purchasing?

kennah

Is the evga 780sc 3gb hd dr with acx cooling reference or non reference? How can I tell when purchasing?
Acx is non reference. Easy way to tell is if it looks cool and has more than one fan - it's usually non reference.

Reference means that it is the first design by the chip manufacturer. Changed cards come later. Generally a reference card will exhaust the hot air out the back while a non reference will exhaust on all sides into the case.

antonz

Man newegg is such a fucking joke this time around. Tell me yesterday they shipped my stuff except all they did was print the fucking label and its still sitting in their warehouse waiting to be picked up at 8 pm tonight by UPS. At the rate its going Ill be lucky to get it by friday because even though I said 2 day they are sending it ground. Any kind of shipping screw up will push it into next week easily.

Man newegg is such a fucking joke this time around. Tell me yesterday they shipped my stuff except all they did was print the fucking label and its still sitting in their warehouse waiting to be picked up at 8 pm tonight by UPS. At the rate its going Ill be lucky to get it by friday because even though I said 2 day they are sending it ground. Any kind of shipping screw up will push it into next week easily.
Newegg's free shipping tends to be slow as hell, but it can be far worse if you go through some of their marketplace vendors.

Anton668

I did the "eggsaver" delivery and, yeah, its hella slow. and to add to that, my PSU went from Indy to... not the chigagoland area. instead, it jumped right past and to the left and ended up in detroit! fucking detroit?!?!?!?!?

D3DOverrider is in the folder where you installed RivaTuner. You don't need to have afterburner to run D3DO. Mine is located here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.24 MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2009 edition\Tools\D3DOverrider

I'm assuming you have it at a similar place.

I have a RivaTuner Statistics Folder, but otherwise no installation of RivaTuner. I guess I need to manually find a download and install?

I did the "eggsaver" delivery and, yeah, its hella slow. and to add to that, my PSU went from Indy to... not the chigagoland area. instead, it jumped right past and to the left and ended up in detroit! fucking detroit?!?!?!?!?

This is so odd, I've had the exact opposite experience and I placed 5 different orders. The only problem I had was they put two of my orders in the same package and never told me they shipped one of them. I looked up the orders and they had to same tracking number. Other than that it's been fine. I'm also in the Chicago land area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom