• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

so every part is here except my corsair H100i. Am I inviting trouble by setting it up w/ the stock cooler and installing the aftermarket cooler later? I don't want to do any damage to the chip/socket (i7 4770k and gigabyte UD4H)

kennah

so every part is here except my corsair H100i. Am I inviting trouble by setting it up w/ the stock cooler and installing the aftermarket cooler later? I don't want to do any damage to the chip/socket (i7 4770k and gigabyte UD4H)
Won't damage a thing. All depends on te amount of labour you are willing to put into it.

do it

RedSwirl

I've probably asked this before but it seems I'm gonna be building a PC for the first time this week, and are you guys sure I shouldn't need an additional CPU cooler or heatsink unless I plan to overclock? I didn't buy any extra cooling parts at all.

My current Dell has a heatsink right in the middle of the case, but looking at the box to my new case (Phantom NZXT) all it has are two fans on the top and rear. I don't plant to overclock the processor for now, but how's cooling really gonna work here? Do full towers usually offer better airflow?

Edit: Looking at an unboxing video of the case I bought. What the fuck am I supposed to do with these fan controls? Just leave them alone?

I currently have a PC I built almost three years ago. Has an i5 2500k, GTX560Ti.

Looks like the motherboard is dead in it.

Given its age, I'm debating whether or not to buy a new motherboard and keep going with what I have, or if it'd be worth it to revamp the whole thing and get a new CPU/motherboard.

Would my current video card be holding me back performance wise with current/upcoming games even if I upgrade to a Haswell CPU? If I go this route, I would probably end up getting whatever the equivalent of my current CPU is in a Haswell.

part of me wants to say screw it and get a PS4 instead, but I know this early in the game that'd be crazy

I currently have a PC I built almost three years ago. Has an i5 2500k, GTX560Ti.

Looks like the motherboard is dead in it.

Given its age, I'm debating whether or not to buy a new motherboard and keep going with what I have, or if it'd be worth it to revamp the whole thing and get a new CPU/motherboard.

Would my current video card be holding me back performance wise with current/upcoming games even if I upgrade to a Haswell CPU? If I go this route, I would probably end up getting whatever the equivalent of my current CPU is in a Haswell.

part of me wants to say screw it and get a PS4 instead, but I know this early in the game that'd be crazy

Even with your current setup, your GPU is probably holding you back. i5-2500K is still a beast if you overclock it.

I am noticing a trend with their shipping. It seems the free 2 day shipping from shoprunner gets you put on a low priority shipping line.

Really is kind of bullshit that it does because they are the ones who signed up with shoprunner for the service. When you select 2 day you expect some sort of expediated service its not UPS ground

It's really stupid. Even my 7-8 day business shipping order from amazon for the m/kb and case fan now says it's gonna come in on thursday after an initial estimate of the 14th. My mobo is going to be literally the last thing to come in, urgh.

And is 550w enough to account for all these extra fans in the NZXT? The box says each one consumes around 20w.

99% sure that's referring to the fan controller. Which means 20W per channel, so basically don't shove like 4 fans on one controller port.

550W is more than enough for a single GPU system unless you have like 10 hard drives.

SummitAve

Banned
I need help finishing my first build...

Bitfenix prodigy
Samsung 840 evo SSD
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB
MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7850 2GB

I'm planning on picking up an i5 3570k from microcenter, and I need a motherboard to go with it, but I'm pretty clueless except that it needs to be LGA 1155. I also could use a PSU suggestion. I don't mind spending a little money, but I prefer a good value.

kSt

Hi guys, this is going to be my first self-built PC.

Your Current Specs: none
Budget: 650 Euro w/o graphics and monitor, average European prices.
Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming - 5, Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 3, Video Editing - 2, Streaming games in HD - 3, 3D/Model work (and what program) - 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p 60 Hz Are you going to upgrade later? - Not beyond 1080p, no.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Arma 3
Good one, I know. Still hoping for a decent performance.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No.
When will you build?: ASAP, next week most likely.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe. A little.
Yes.

This is my draft:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz Socket LGA1150 BOX ~ € 220 - Futureproof with O/C capabilities (I hope).
Gigabyte Z87P-D3 socket 1150 ~ € 105
8GB (1 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL 9-9-9-24) ~ € 90 - Will add 8GB later.
Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced ~ € 77
730W Thermaltake Smart SE, 80plus Bronze Efficiency, Modullar ~ € 68
1TB Western Digital WD Caviar Blue, 64MB cache, SATAIII ~€ 60

Going to use integrated graphics for a month, then get either Radeon 280x or 290.
Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks in advance.

So if a video card requires a 750w recommendation, is it easy to just put in a extra 800w+ into a desktop that comes with a much lower power consumption, like 300w?

Will it blow the motherboard or desktop up?

zoku88

There should be a USB port dedicated to updating it too. Look in the back of your PC and there should be something marked.

I think that's only needed if you can't boot, though (which is what happened to me, becuase IVB-E needed firmware updates....) For my ASUS board, it was denoted by being white. Not sure how it is for Gigabyte boards. Felt like updating that way was slower than normal, though :-/

Otherwise, you can just install new firmware from any FAT32 partition, internal or external/USB. I believe.

Even with your current setup, your GPU is probably holding you back. i5-2500K is still a beast if you overclock it.

Well dang. So I'd be best off investing in a new card, sticking with my 2500k and overclocking it.

Realistically how many more years could I get out of that CPU though?

RedSwirl

99% sure that's referring to the fan controller. Which means 20W per channel, so basically don't shove like 4 fans on one controller port.

550W is more than enough for a single GPU system unless you have like 10 hard drives.

Wha? I guess I'll figure that out when I put the motherboard in there. Pretty sure I'll be getting help from people who've done this before, but I don't know if they've worked with full towers before.

But anyway, so those four fans (that came with the case) are enough to keep a non-overclocked CPU cool?

jfoul

I had to drive down to MicroCenter today for a motherboard exchange. I ended up buying my girlfriend the Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White). I'm an SFF guy these days, but I'm very impressed by the fit and finish of the case.

NoRéN

Question: Which SSD between these two:

1) Samsung EVO 120GB
2) Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB

Any reasons why?

If you want to get technical, here you go:
SSD Comparison

Not so technical: both are reliable SSDs. Coming from harddrives, both will be a significant improvement.

That said, if the price difference is not much, get the EVO. If price is an issue, the Kingston will not let you down.

So I'm putting my computer together and realized I've no clue how to install my Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Its too small, and the manual shows I need to use a metal plate to sit my SSD on that wasn't included. Time to rig it?

And did I hear right about Windows 8 sale?

NoRéN;92334619 said:
If you want to get technical, here you go:
SSD Comparison

Not so technical: both are reliable SSDs. Coming from harddrives, both will be a significant improvement.

That said, if the price difference is not much, get the EVO. If price is an issue, the Kingston will not let you down.

Thank you. That is the perfect comparison. The Samsung it is.

CRS

So I'm putting my computer together and realized I've no clue how to install my Samsung 840 Pro SSD. Its too small, and the manual shows I need to use a metal plate to sit my SSD on that wasn't included. Time to rig it?

Tape works wonders. It's a solid state drive so you don't have to hold it down since there's no spindle. If you move your case a lot, I would tape it to the bottom/wall of the case and you'll be fine.

antonz

It's really stupid. Even my 7-8 day business shipping order from amazon for the m/kb and case fan now says it's gonna come in on thursday after an initial estimate of the 14th. My mobo is going to be literally the last thing to come in, urgh.

They just updated in the last few hours that my order from Sunday has shipped though when they say click order # for tracking info there is no click and no email with details lol.

I'm just impatient cause im next gen proofing my pc and an impatient. R9 290 and an extra 8GB of ram for my PC. I live like 10 hours from Newegg so hoping maybe it went out early enough ill get it tommorrow

Addnan

What did they put in this..

Iu4z6DI.png

How does dual sli work? If a motherboard has free pci slots, is that where you add another graphic card?

I really have no idea how it works.

For example if a spec had:

2 x PCI ex 1
1 x PCI ex 4
1 x PCI ex 16

Is a dual sli gtx possible?

Wha? I guess I'll figure that out when I put the motherboard in there. Pretty sure I'll be getting help from people who've done this before, but I don't know if they've worked with full towers before.

But anyway, so those four fans (that came with the case) are enough to keep a non-overclocked CPU cool?

I've built in one of the NZXT Phantoms. To clarify:
  • The NZXT Phantom has a fan controller, which allows you to adjust the speed of the fans connected to it manually via a number of switches.
  • Each switch controls a channel, which will have a 3 pin port to plug your fan into. Each channel can handle 20W maximum. This is only a problem if you are, somehow, attaching a large number of fans on a single channel via fan splitters.
And yes, four fans is enough to cool just about any sane system on the planet, overclocked or not. People overestimate how much cooling they really need, most of them are actually overcooled.

Sorry...crummy cell phone+bad lighting. But it sure was gorgeous finally having all the pieces. I went with a Bitfenix Shinobi case, which I'm in love with.

It was pathetic how long it took me to put this all together. About 2-3 hours? For some reason the CPU cooler stumped the Hell out of me. I never used anything other than stock coolers before, and I stared at the instructions forever because the pictures were crummy and I didn't want to mess up. It didn't help that after I finished with the CPU/cooler, I realized I forgot to attach the panel-thingy around the motherboard ports that face out, and had to take the whole motherboard out to stick it in quickly.

Now to turn it on and pray I didn't get any bad parts.

Okay. Thanks.

Will this work?

For example if a spec had:

2 x PCI ex 1
1 x PCI ex 4
1 x PCI ex 16

Is a dual sli gtx possible?

Depends on your motherboard configuration (some disable PCIe slots when certain ones are in use if I remember correctly) but let's be honest, performance will be pretty bad because of the ex4 and ex1 slots.

If you're spending that much on GPUs, you're better off going with LGA2011 where they give you enough PCIe lanes to do just about anything.

Sorry...crummy cell phone+bad lighting. But it sure was gorgeous finally having all the pieces. I went with a Bitfenix Shinobi case, which I'm in love with.

It was pathetic how long it took me to put this all together. About 2-3 hours? For some reason the CPU cooler stumped the Hell out of me. I never used anything other than stock coolers before, and I stared at the instructions forever because the pictures were crummy and I didn't want to mess up. It didn't help that after I finished with the CPU/cooler, I realized I forgot to attach the panel-thingy around the motherboard ports that face out, and had to take the whole motherboard out to stick it in quickly.

Now to turn it on and pray I didn't get any bad parts.

The Hyper 212+/Evo is hot garbage these days. The performance is fine but compared to many similarly priced heatsinks, its absurdly difficult to install.

Depends on your motherboard configuration (some disable PCIe slots when certain ones are in use if I remember correctly) but let's be honest, performance will be pretty bad because of the ex4 and ex1 slots.

If you're spending that much on GPUs, you're better off going with LGA2011 where they give you enough PCIe lanes to do just about anything.

The Hyper 212+/Evo is hot garbage these days. The performance is fine but compared to many similarly priced heatsinks, its absurdly difficult to install.
Okay thanks. So dual gpu won't work well but a single one would, right?

Okay thanks. So dual gpu won't work well but a single one would, right?

Single GPU will work fine - you'd put the card in the 16x slot. Dual GPU performance may be a little disappointing if the motherboard could only run at 16x/4x instead of 8x/8x (some motherboards do this for dual GPU configurations).

I thought you were asking about four GPUs when you mentioned dual SLI as SLI already suggests a dual GPU configuration.

Anton668

???
funny, just installed mine the other day and wasnt really a problem. and thats with the MB installed!

Single GPU will work fine - you'd put the card in the 16x slot. Dual GPU performance may be a little disappointing if the motherboard could only run at 16x/4x instead of 8x/8x (some motherboards do this for dual GPU configurations).

I thought you were asking about four GPUs when you mentioned dual SLI as SLI already suggests a dual GPU configuration.

Definitely not four gpu, just a sli. Sorry for the confusion.

Also,

There's this one I was looking at, on the specs it says this:

1 x PCI 16
1 x PCI 4 (1 x PCI 16)

In parenthesis. Does that mean it can work as both a x 4 and x 16?

It also says mechanical and another says x4 mode.

Edit: looks like it has 2 pci 16 slots, one is a 2.0 the other is a 3.0.

Would sli work with these?

???
funny, just installed mine the other day and wasnt really a problem. and thats with the MB installed!
Come on! At least pretend he's a little right so I don't feel like a complete jabroni.

That was crazy how fast Windows installed. And its so quiet. I'm already in love. My only regret is getting a 128 GB drive. Shouildve just bit the bullet and got a 256

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom