• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
2600, no k.

What kind of games would give my CPU trouble even with a beastly card?
Trouble is kind of subjective, as in, one might not notice much. But, UE3 based games, multiplayer games, some Blizzard games, Source games, some others here and there.

It's not like performance will be bad, it's just that it could be better.

maneil99

So basically a 780/780 ti is a safe buy right now and wont get outclassed by anything nvidia put out over the next 12/18 months?. I'm ok with this since I'll be looking to get one over the next couple of months.

780/ti will 100% be outlassed within the summer, possibly spring. Thats when 20nm arrives which will be faster. 780 will be a 860 just like a 580/680 are now 660/760s.

Well, after 4 agonizing hours on the floor (ohmygodmybackwhydididothismercifuljesusmyback) I fit in all the parts, connect all the cables, do everything I thought I was supposed to (even spent a solid 45 minutes figuring out the damned CM 212 EVO heatsink) and it turns on!... for about 20 seconds, then proceeds to restart itself, in an endless cycle. Of note, I flipped the power switch on the PSU, but hitting the power button on the front of the case didn't turn on, I had to hit the manualy power switch on the mobo itself. The voltage meter reads a steady 15. Computer turns on obviously, all the led's work, both case fans and the cpu fans all turn on, I can audibly hear the HDD rev up, the GPU fans rev up. Don't think I bent any pins. Everything's mounted. The only significant hiccup in the whole process I think was in applying the thermal paste for the heatsink. I put a bit too much on, and a small amount started leaking out one side. I caught it before it got on anything other than the metal of the CPU latch, fairly certain it didn't get on anything else, wiped it clean. Plugged it into a tv via the HDMI out on the mobo, the TV recognizes that there's something connected there but it's not getting any signal. But it's way too late atm for me to do anything more to diagnose. I'll take more pictures in the morning but if PC GAF can do any sleuthing for me overnight I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $217.49)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $149.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $52.99)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $59.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $288.40)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $22.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $59.99)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $8.03)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $64.99)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse (Purchased For $42.99)
Total: $1052.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 04:55 EST-0500)

Nachtmaer

780/ti will 100% be outlassed within the summer

Maybe either company comes up with a dual GPU that's faster, but 20nm won't be ready by then.

Computer turns on obviously, all the led's work, both case fans and the cpu fans all turn on, I can audibly hear the HDD rev up, the GPU fans rev up.

Plugged it into a tv via the HDMI out on the mobo, the TV recognizes that there's something connected there but it's not getting any signal.

It's hard to say what could be wrong with a system if you don't have it in front of you. Since you're using a discrete GPU, you should plug your tv/monitor into that. At least if you actually used the motherboard's HDMI and that wasn't a typo. It has happened to me that a PC wouldn't go past the POST if the BIOS detects you're using the integrated GPU while having a discrete one.

Durante

780/ti will 100% be outlassed within the summer, possibly spring. Thats when 20nm arrives which will be faster. 780 will be a 860 just like a 580/680 are now 660/760s.
I wish I had your positive outlook. At this point I think it's unlikely that we'll have any GPUs built on 20 nm by summer, never mind spring. And without 20nm, no outclassing will happen.

kharma45

I wish I had your positive outlook. At this point I think it's unlikely that we'll have any GPUs built on 20 nm by summer, never mind spring. And without 20nm, no outclassing will happen.

Yep no chance of 20nm then. More likely a Q4 2014 release i feel.

I think this is an off-topic question, but it's gaming and monitor-related, so maybe someone here can help.

I want to hook my N64 up to an HDTV I use as a monitor. The TV only has Component and HDMI hook-ups, no Composite (which is what the N64 uses). Does anyone have a recommendation as to how I can hook the composite cables up to the TV? I know there are composite-->component and composite-->HDMI converters, but is there something in particular should look for when buying one?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

I think this is an off-topic question, but it's gaming and monitor-related, so maybe someone here can help.

I want to hook my N64 up to an HDTV I use as a monitor. The TV only has Component and HDMI hook-ups, no Composite (which is what the N64 uses). Does anyone have a recommendation as to how I can hook the composite cables up to the TV? I know there are composite-->component and composite-->HDMI converters, but is there something in particular should look for when buying one?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

There were third party component cables for N64. Find some on Ebay.

AJLma

These 7900/R9 price jumps are insane.

A month ago you could buy a 7970 GHz for less than $250.

At this rate, by the time non-reference R9's come out they'll be $600+.

Azulsky

I would be extremely surprised if the 780ti is outclassed in the following generation by anything lower than the x70 model. 780 is another story as there is such a performance swing on that card depending on stock and overclocked models.

Assuming that Maxwell isnt released only for the Titan tier with eventual trickle down just like GK110 was.

With all the hubub about 20nm costing much more money with Nvidia's strategy(large die) I am expecting release cycles to mimic this last generation.

Would be nice to see if Nvidia actually drop the hammer on a 512 bit memory bus at the highest tiers to get more serious about 4k.

AJLma

Apparently, that $220 Sapphire 7970 GHz Vapor-x was less a deal and more of an investment opportunity.

I can't bring myself to sell it, though.

The upgrade opportunities don't seem worth it. The 290 and 290X reference are too variable. Trading up to a 780 is tempting, being a mini-titan and all. The 280X stock is a downgrade, the overclocked version is basically the same card as the GHz 7970, marginally faster. The 770 is just an overclocked 680 which offers similar performance to a GHz 7970.

1080P being my gaming target, I'm fucking TORN on what to do right now lol.

Azulsky

The upgrade opportunities don't seem worth it. The 290 and 290X reference are too variable. Trading up to a 780 is tempting, being a mini-titan and all. The 280X stock is a downgrade, the overclocked version is basically the same card as the GHz 7970, marginally faster. The 770 is just an overclocked 680 which offers similar performance to a GHz 7970.

Honestly if you can get a 780 out of it I would go for it.

Nah, I personally wouldn't sell it either. It's just crazy to see the prices fluctuate so wildly.

Addnan

I placed an order for a 290 on Amazon and it says they will deliver it when it's back in Stock, will I get that price for sure? ($399)

Yes, you pay the price you order at or if the price drops the lower price. Never higher if it goes up.

SpyGuy239

Well, after 4 agonizing hours on the floor (ohmygodmybackwhydididothismercifuljesusmyback) I fit in all the parts, connect all the cables, do everything I thought I was supposed to (even spent a solid 45 minutes figuring out the damned CM 212 EVO heatsink) and it turns on!... for about 20 seconds, then proceeds to restart itself, in an endless cycle. Of note, I flipped the power switch on the PSU, but hitting the power button on the front of the case didn't turn on, I had to hit the manualy power switch on the mobo itself. The voltage meter reads a steady 15. Computer turns on obviously, all the led's work, both case fans and the cpu fans all turn on, I can audibly hear the HDD rev up, the GPU fans rev up. Don't think I bent any pins. Everything's mounted. The only significant hiccup in the whole process I think was in applying the thermal paste for the heatsink. I put a bit too much on, and a small amount started leaking out one side. I caught it before it got on anything other than the metal of the CPU latch, fairly certain it didn't get on anything else, wiped it clean. Plugged it into a tv via the HDMI out on the mobo, the TV recognizes that there's something connected there but it's not getting any signal. But it's way too late atm for me to do anything more to diagnose. I'll take more pictures in the morning but if PC GAF can do any sleuthing for me overnight I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $217.49)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $149.99)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $52.99)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $59.99)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $54.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card (Purchased For $288.40)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (Purchased For $22.99)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $59.99)
Case Fan: BitFenix Spectre 47.7 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $8.03)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $64.99)
Keyboard: Logitech MK520 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Laser Mouse (Purchased For $42.99)
Total: $1052.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 04:55 EST-0500)

My first instinct is Ram incompatibility or some other ram associated problem. Try running with one stick first and see how it goes. Also try using various DIMM slots with one stick.

snack

Anyone know the model of this monitor?
IuksqMQ.jpg

Manik

So, I've done a tentative spec for a new PC for myself and hoped someone in here would be kind enough to give it a quick look over and let me know if there's anything obvious that I'm missing out on, or overspending where I clearly don't need to.

I'm going to be using it for gaming, mainly, and would like it to keep me going for as long as the one I'm currently using has (at least 5 years or so). I'm likely to be using 1980 x 1080 as my highest resolution (at least for the near /medium term), so am going to be aiming for a solid 60fps as far as possible.

The parts I have come up with are (from Scan.co.uk) -

Mid Tower Case - Corsair 300R Black
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z87X-D3H - SLI and Crossfire Support
CPU - Intel Core i5 4670K - Quad Core, 6MB Cache
CPU Cooler - Corsair H80 Hydro - High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro - 2133MHz
Video Card - 3GB EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX, 967MHz GPU, 2304 Cores, 6008MHz GDDR5
Power Supply - 750W Corsair RM, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS Gold
Storage - 120GB Intel 530 - 540MB/s Read, 490MB/s Write, 80K IOPS
Storage - 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224DB - 24x DVD Reader & Writer
Sound Card - Creative Labs SB X-Fi 7.1 Gaming Soundcard
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Any suggestions are really appreciated. Don't want to make some newbie mistake and end up spending / not spending if it'll save me in the long run!

So the 28" 4K monitor that Dell is releasing shortly for under $1,000.

Think twin 770s will be enough to drive it? Wonder if they'll have a Gsync board for it.

kharma45

Honestly if you can get a 780 out of it I would go for it.

Yeah if you can sell the 7970 and change to a 780 I'd do it. Make the most of the price bubble whilst it lasts.

I've been looking at newegg a lot recently and have seen some very nice SuperCombo DIY PC bundles (at least for the price). Plus, I figure I can upgrade the thing in the future. I'm really interested in getting into PC gaming. Looking at the videos in the OP, as someone who has only ever increased the RAM in an old desktop, how difficult would it be to put together a PC for the first time?

Thanks!

Xdrive05

GAF, I'm about to flip my MSI 7950 thanks to the bitcoin boom.

So what would be the best replacement card that has the same or less power consumption? I'm looking at the $300-$350 range. No strict preference between AMD or Nvidia, but all other things being equal, I'd like Nvidia just because of the install base and game support.

EDIT: forgot to mention I'm 1080p strictly, so best long-term performance in 1080p is all I need. Thanks!

Azulsky

Think twin 770s will be enough to drive it? Wonder if they'll have a Gsync board for it.

Yes but you need to watch out for AA settings that will eat the VRAM alive.

Considering you have Nvidia you might want to wait on a GSync Monitor.

two questions: about how much money do you think I could get if I sold my FX-8320? Also, Sapphire 7950 (curious only because of this bitcoin craze going on right now)? Both have had a year of use. Thanks.

thespot84

RAM question: I put two 4g g.skill sniper modules on my gigabyte z87 UD4H board. the modules are rated for 2133MHZ/PC3-17000 (here on newegg) In the bios it auto-clocks down to 1600MHZ with voltage at 1.5, though it's rated @ 1.6. I can manually change the clock to 2133, and I adjusted the voltage to 1.6 using the gigabyte EZtune, however EZtune shows that the max bandwidth on the RAM is PC3-12800i. Why the discrepancy? I'm on a 4770k if that matters.

EDIT: here's a pic. I just want this thing to be set up correctly in stock before I OC it once the cooler gets here:

I'm trying to overclock my GTX 760 using EVGA Precision X with pretty good results so far. I'm increasing my clock offset and memory offset by a little each time and then running Heaven to see how things are going. Is this a fine method? Also, I'm looking to overclock my i5 3570k later on today. Is Prime95 still a good stress test?

tr4656

I'm trying to overclock my GTX 760 using EVGA Precision X with pretty good results so far. I'm increasing my clock offset and memory offset by a little each time and then running Heaven to see how things are going. Is this a fine method? Also, I'm looking to overclock my i5 3570k later on today. Is Prime95 still a good stress test?
Yes.

Are the small form factor builds still optimal? I'm ready to build a next-gen console equivalent for my living room, but I see the post hasn't been updated since June. Notably, all versions of the HD7950 for the CM 130 Elite build (which I'm favoring) are out of stock on Newegg, for example. Just checking if some parts have become obsolete, or if better ones will fit within the same build.

tr4656

Are the small form factor builds still optimal? I'm ready to build a next-gen console equivalent for my living room, but I see the post hasn't been updated since June. Notably, all versions of the HD7950 for the CM 130 Elite build (which I'm favoring) are out of stock on Newegg, for example. Just checking if some parts have become obsolete, or if better ones will fit within the same build.
Not necessarily optimal but they are fine.

mkenyon

Banned
Prices are a little out of date, same with the video cards. Everything else is fine.

Got to a point with my GPU overclocking where DX11 programs would crash on start up. Tried a few different things but nothing worked. Went back to default settings and everything's working normally again. Any idea what I did wrong?

My first instinct is Ram incompatibility or some other ram associated problem. Try running with one stick first and see how it goes. Also try using various DIMM slots with one stick.

see that's also what I thought (or rather hoped, if it was the mobo I was gonna punch some walls), so I tested the sticks one at a time, second one got to post/bios in isolation. (tears of joy were wept) But then I decided to put the other one back in just to be sure, exact same configuration except the two had switched places. Once again posts/bios fine. Hooked everything back up just now, still posts fine. I'm guessing I mustve crossed a wire somewhere, put something in wrong.

But initial checks are all positive. Sees the mouse and keyboard working in UEFI (via front ports no less, who'se power/led and reset buttons are also working fine), sees both sticks (though it's underclocking them to 1600MHz and at 11 CL, guess I'll have to mess with that later), sees the cpu obv and it's outputting from the GPU, sees the HDD and SSD and all fans are running. Hate that I've gotta head to work now, but I'll format the flash drive for the windows boot disk tonight and see what I get in a full OS environment. when I get back.

But for my first ever build, I'm feeling like a pretty fucking proud soldier. Thanks to all at PC GAF who've helped out over the last 6-7 months!

zoku88

All signs are pointing that the reason it's under $1K is because it's using an TN panel, though...

kennah

Hey guys is Dell XPS 8700 series pretty good the one with a i7?

Is it:
1) Compatible with GTX 780 sc acx dual fan card?

2) Will the card fit?

"Is it good?" No

1) Compatible - technically yes, it has a PCI-E slot. But after (too much) research it looks like it comes with a shitty 460W PSU, so I personally wouldn't trust it.

2) People say they get a 660 in there... but the ACX is pretty big, so kinda doubt it would fit.

Dude... after all this back and forth you've been doing, you were thinking of getting a shitty Dell? Build your own, or get someone to build it for you. You'll end up with a much better quality computer afterwards. There are a few gaffers in this thread (myself included) who offer build services for free for gaffers. What city are you in?

EDIT: Since you're doing a 'plug into a tv' build, you should really be going with a nice SFF case like the Fractal Node or something by Silverstone. Put a bit of care and effort into this and you'll have something beautiful that will last you for years.

"Is it good?" No

1) Compatible - technically yes, it has a PCI-E slot. But after (too much) research it looks like it comes with a shitty 460W PSU, so I personally wouldn't trust it.

2) People say they get a 660 in there... but the ACX is pretty big, so kinda doubt it would fit.

Dude... after all this back and forth you've been doing, you were thinking of getting a shitty Dell? Build your own, or get someone to build it for you. You'll end up with a much better quality computer afterwards. There are a few gaffers in this thread (myself included) who offer build services for free for gaffers. What city are you in?

EDIT: Since you're doing a 'plug into a tv' build, you should really be going with a nice SFF case like the Fractal Node or something by Silverstone. Put a bit of care and effort into this and you'll have something beautiful that will last you for years.
Thanks for the info. I'll look more into it for sure.

And the power is taken care of. I got a 850w Corsair I think. Unless the extra power has nothing to do with the 460w PSU.

Oh and would the 800w fry the motherboard?

kennah

Thanks for the info. I'll look more into it for sure.

And the power is taken care of. I got a 850w Corsair I think. Unless the extra power has nothing to do with the 460w PSU.

Oh and would the 800w fry the motherboard?
Motherboards will only ever pull as much as they need.

I'd be a little worried about everything fitting in the case. But. Yeah.

Motherboards will only ever pull as much as they need.

I'd be a little worried about everything fitting in the case. But. Yeah.
Been doing research and it looks like a gtx770 fits which is about similar in demensions as the 780.

As long as the 800w doesn't fry it than I think I'd be cool with it.

Edit: Whoops, not a Corsair. It's a Thermaltake which is not good from my research. Got to return it.

Is Antec good as well?

kennah

I'm amused that you are worrying about getting a great video card and a good power supply. But then pairing it with a shitty motherboard and non overclocking cpu.

I'm amused that you are worrying about getting a great video card and a good power supply. But then pairing it with a shitty motherboard and non overclocking cpu.
I know I sound pathetic. I don't know much about PCs. I just want something that I can use for everyday work and art but have enough juice to play Tomb Raider with TressFX!

And I'm staying away from over locking because I think I'll so something wrong.

Thanks for your help so far though. I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom