• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the highest GPU at the moment minus the SLI or xfire?

That Radeon card, is it more powerful yet cheaper than the Titan?

I was always under the impression that AMD and Radeon, although cheaper, isn't as durable as Intel or Nvidia.
My reading on the radeon 290 and 290x is that they are both quite powerful and capable of beating the 780 gtx at cheaper or similar prices.

At resolutions below 4k, the Titan has them beaten in performance (but not price) by a marginal amount. At 4k resolution and above, the Titan takes a significant dip in performance and the 290s pull ahead by sustaining their performance at that resolution.

The main weakness of these cards has been noise from the shitty cooling solution used. Third party vendors will be releasing properly cooled 290s later this month.

Alright guys, thanks for all your help. I think I have a good idea of what I want to do.

I appreciate it.

I originally wanted a gaming laptop so this is how it trickled down to this instead.

I'll stop posting stupid questions now.

After much driver installing ad transferring later I've got just about everything up and running. The only thing is I can't see my 1TB WD drive in My Computer. It comes up in the device manager as working correctly and I can see it clearly as a bootable drive in the BIOS, but I can't seem to otherwise interact with it? I feel like a dunce.

EDIT: I am a dunce. I just need to format it andadd it manually via storage management. Done and done.

CRS

Alright guys, thanks for all your help. I think I have a good idea of what I want to do.

I appreciate it.

I originally wanted a gaming laptop so this is how it trickled down to this instead.

No such a thing as a stupid question. There's a lot of knowledgeable people willing to help. It's just people here have laid it out pretty simple and they're confused why you won't go with the simple answer.

You have two options:

1) Buy a pre-built manufacturer PC and install your GPU and PSU. (Not my recommended choice because of the pre-built parts installed)

2) Go to a website (don't have any on hand but the OP might have something) that let's you decide what you want in your PC, they'll build it, and they send it to you. (minus the GPU since you already have that) [Personally, this is your best option since you get the custom PC built but you don't have to do any of the heavy work]

maneil99

So my Corsair m90 mouse wheel is fucked up, occasionlly scrolls the opposite way, so its either the m90 with the mouse wheel or the Sentinel II with the broken middle mouse button :/
How is there RMA? Any chance I will get a m95? Corsair is annoying me, first a PSU with a faulty power cable now a broken mouse wheel after less then 6 months

Would it be worth upgrading from a 780 GTX SC + 1254/6500 to a 780 GTX Ti? I bought my 780 at the end of July and regret paying 649$. Best to wait for the 880 GTX if I have an itch to upgrade?

maneil99

I appreciate it.

Best option is depending on your location, order your parts, get a store like NCIX to assemble it for a fee

Thanks for all your help guys. Got all the parts in and finished building the computer for my nephew. Still gotta OC it though.

I think he's got a pretty solid base to build on now that should last him a while.

Here's what I ended up with:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $218.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased for $36.40)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $155.31)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $57.76)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $93.18)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $65.39)
GPU: EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB (Using my old card for now until he saves up a little more money)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $52.47)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $88.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $18.52)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional (32/64-bit) (Purchased For $69.99)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (Purchased For $118.60)
Total: $975.60
All prices include tax and shipping.

jediyoshi

Hard to get any AMD GPU right now, they're selling out super quick thanks to the bit coin bubble.

Yeah, it's been brutal looking up the card I wanted since newegg look like the only ones who aren't marking it up like mad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202063

Was refreshing the page tonight and it suddenly appeared back in stock. Worked all the way up to verifying the purchase where it said they were out again even though the store wasn't updating.

Tried a couple more times and finally the purchase went through :phew:

I think between selling the copy of BF4 and my old card (5770), I'm gonna walk away pretty pain free

Dimorphic

I've been able to price this build to about $800-$850 AUD depending on where I buy the parts from, can anyone let me know if it will be a decent machine;

AMD FX 6300CPU - 3.5GHz
A970 Motherboard
8G DDR3-1600MHz RAM
1TB Hard Disk
22x DVD-Burner
ATI R9-270X Graphics Card
Thermaltake V4 Case + 500W PSU

chunk3rvd

Me and my big mouth -_-

So, a colleague was buying his son a gaming PC for Christmas and I preached the concept of building yourself and how he'd get a lot more bang for his buck. I told him that if he bought the parts, I would build it for him despite not having touched the innards of a PC for about 10 years

So now my living room floor is filled with a giant box from Amazon filled with various bits and bobs that I'm hoping will form a working PC come the end of the day. I watched the 15 minute build video in the OP as a refresher on what I need to do so I feel a little less nervous now. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or hints on things I need to watch out for or things I should be looking to do? Also, tips on anything about the parts I've build and whether or not I should consider overclocking? The parts are as follows:

Asus B85M0G Motherboard
i5 4430 3GHz
Sapphire HD 7870 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 memory
1TB Hard Drive
Zalman ZM500-GS 500w power supply

He also has a fancy keyboard and mouse, a windows disc and a tower case. Does it look like I'm missing anything? Do all of these parts work OK together?

Any advice, help and tips would be appreciated as I'm terrified of ruining some kids Christmas present with my ineptitude!

Also, if I get this right, what level of graphics should this be pumping out? Will it play any of the big hitters with ridiculous specs from this holiday season like Ghosts or Watchdogs?

Edit: Shit! Looks like he's forgotten to buy an optical drive so I don't think I'll be getting this completed today. Is it possible to install Windows from a USB using the serial on the disc he's bought? Also, any recommendations on a cheap optical drive off Amazon UK?

LordAlu

Me and my big mouth -_-

So, a colleague was buying his son a gaming PC for Christmas and I preached the concept of building yourself and how he'd get a lot more bang for his buck. I told him that if he bought the parts, I would build it for him despite not having touched the innards of a PC for about 10 years

So now my living room floor is filled with a giant box from Amazon filled with various bits and bobs that I'm hoping will form a working PC come the end of the day. I watched the 15 minute build video in the OP as a refresher on what I need to do so I feel a little less nervous now. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or hints on things I need to watch out for or things I should be looking to do? Also, tips on anything about the parts I've build and whether or not I should consider overclocking? The parts are as follows:

Asus B85M0G Motherboard
i5 4430 3GHz
Sapphire HD 7870 2GB
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 memory
1TB Hard Drive
Zalman ZM500-GS 500w power supply

He also has a fancy keyboard and mouse, a windows disc and a tower case. Does it look like I'm missing anything? Do all of these parts work OK together?

Any advice, help and tips would be appreciated as I'm terrified of ruining some kids Christmas present with my ineptitude!

Also, if I get this right, what level of graphics should this be pumping out? Will it play any of the big hitters with ridiculous specs from this holiday season like Ghosts or Watchdogs?

Edit: Shit! Looks like he's forgotten to buy an optical drive so I don't think I'll be getting this completed today. Is it possible to install Windows from a USB using the serial on the disc he's bought? Also, any recommendations on a cheap optical drive off Amazon UK?
Games wise this should play everything on high fairly easily, although very high and above might struggle to hit 60 FPS. You can install Windows off USB no problem, Microsoft even do a DVD->USB convertor tool if you have another computer, and for a DVD drive just get any - Lite-On & Samsung tend to be the most popular but they all do the same job just as well really.

Azulsky

Yeah I already have a VG248QE ready to go for Gsync once the bloody modules arrive.

My main panel is 144Hz so this isn't a downgrade for me.

In that case probably a good deal.

I just grabbed a 1600p monitor so my primary interest is in getting a Gsync 1440p/1600p when those roll around

I will move up to 4k when the video card technology is a bit more mature, aka Nvidia with wider memory architecture.

I have a feeling that Witcher 3 will even make the 780ti's cry trying to throw on high details

Aranath

My Google-fu is failing me. Is DVI-D capable of 60hz at 4k resolution? Or only DisplayPort?

I've managed to get a 4k custom resolution working at 60hz and have no idea if I'm actually getting that or if my connection is limiting me (or if it even works that way). Unfortunately, my monitor doesn't have a DisplayPort connection, so I'm stuck with DVI-D.

Bad news. I decided to run Prime95 as I went to bed last night to put the cpu and evo through their paces right? It ran fine for about a half hour then suddenly I hear a high pitched whirring. After a few seconds the computer restarted itself and now the GPU won't come up on the system AT ALL, it only manages to turn the cooling fans on (which is odd since I wasn't TESTING the GPU). I've tried other PCI-E slots, I've tried pulling it out putting it back in a few times. Can't even get it to show up in device manager anymore. I am beyond pissed. I'm hoping it wasn't my wiring job. The only thing I can think of is that since I bought the GPU used it didnt come with the manual and so I don't know if I wired the power cables to the GPU correctly. It had 2 8 pins on top, came with 2 8 to 6 pins, and so I hooked up the six pin ends to the 6+ 2 ones of the cables that came with the PSU and put them in the PCI-e 6+2 slots in the pSU (I couldn't get them to fit any other way), Pic is below. I really hope I didn't fry it or something. I've since tried taking out the 8 to 6 cables and just using the PSU ones, but still the same results. I'm beyond depressed right now.

DMiz

Hey guys, first time posting in here, but I've lurked in this thread for quite a while (before I was even a junior!) and have used its resources to build my first rig. I'm quite happy with it and want to say thank you to everybody who contributed to it!

As a quick aside:

I'm currently running a GTX660 with 2gb VRAM, and 8gb DDR3 RAM.

This is the first time I've ever really built a computer on my own, but from your expertise, how long will this rig really last me? Will I face many woes as the next generation games comes out, and if so, what should I look towards in terms of upgrades? I already know that I can double my ram to 16gb, but I'm terrible with figuring out graphics cards and I'm generally looking for input in that area.

Bad news. I decided to run Prime95 as I went to bed last night to put the cpu and evo through their paces right? It ran fine for about a half hour then suddenly I hear a high pitched whirring. After a few seconds the computer restarted itself and now the GPU won't come up on the system AT ALL, it only manages to turn the cooling fans on (which is odd since I wasn't TESTING the GPU). I've tried other PCI-E slots, I've tried pulling it out putting it back in a few times. Can't even get it to show up in device manager anymore. I am beyond pissed. I'm hoping it wasn't my wiring job. The only thing I can think of is that since I bought the GPU used it didnt come with the manual and so I don't know if I wired the power cables to the GPU correctly. It had 2 8 pins on top, came with 2 8 to 6 pins, and so I hooked up the six pin ends to the 6+ 2 ones of the cables that came with the PSU and put them in the PCI-e 6+2 slots in the pSU (I couldn't get them to fit any other way), Pic is below. I really hope I didn't fry it or something. I've since tried taking out the 8 to 6 cables and just using the PSU ones, but still the same results. I'm beyond depressed right now.

Ideally, you'd directly connect the 6+2 cables to the 8 pin port on the card but I think if you were to connect the 6 to 8 pin connectors you would have wanted to connect it to the 6 pin PCIe cables and not the 6+2 pin cables, but ultimately, it may have just been a bad card.

Ideally, you'd directly connect the 6+2 cables to the 8 pin port on the card but I think if you were to connect the 6 to 8 pin connectors you would have wanted to connect it to the 6 pin PCIe cables and not the 6+2 pin cables, but ultimately, it may have just been a bad card.

So the power cables couldn't have caused this? But ultimately it sounds to me like you're saying the card is completely toast? I bought the thing "slightly used" from a gaffer :/

So the power cables couldn't have caused this? But ultimately it sounds to me like you're saying the card is completely toast? I bought the thing "slightly used" from a gaffer :/

I honestly have no clue at all. The wiring may or may not have had something to do with it. The adapter cables are meant for 6 pin PCIe cables from the power supply but you connected it to just 6 pins of a 8 pin cable from the power supply.

potam

Banned
When you sell off your old machines, how do you go about it? Stick with friends/local people? Part it out? ebay?

I'm getting an itch to build a new PC, but my current build (3570k @ 4.5, 680, 16gb ram) is more than fine and too new to just discard, and I have no idea about how to go about selling it. Any ideas?

kennah

When you sell off your old machines, how do you go about it? Stick with friends/local people? Part it out? ebay?

I'm getting an itch to build a new PC, but my current build (3570k @ 4.5, 680, 16gb ram) is more than fine and too new to just discard, and I have no idea about how to go about selling it. Any ideas?
I usually just sell to friends. This thread is a good place too.

chunk3rvd

So.... first PC build in a while is going slowly. I have the CPU, heat sink and RAM installed on the board and that's screwed into the case

I've just gone to install the hard drive and I see that he's bought a 2.5" 5400rpm drive (this one I think). Am I better telling him to return this and get a 3.5" 7200rpm drive for less money? Was looking at something like this but would be open to suggestions? I'm assuming the higher rpm and increase in cache (8MB to 64MB) would make a fair bit of difference?

kharma45

So.... first PC build in a while is going slowly. I have the CPU, heat sink and RAM installed on the board and that's screwed into the case

I've just gone to install the hard drive and I see that he's bought a 2.5" 5400rpm drive (this one I think). Am I better telling him to return this and get a 3.5" 7200rpm drive for less money? Was looking at something like this but would be open to suggestions? I'm assuming the higher rpm and increase in cache (8MB to 64MB) would make a fair bit of difference?

I'd swap it to this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088PUEPK/

but yes definitely swap if you can return for a refund

fozzy

Guys, is

i5-3570K 3.4GHz(3.8GHz TURBO)QUAD-CORE+ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 XF/SLI+16GB 1866MHZ CV

Worth £350?

Edit: pulled the trigger because only had 10 minutes before auction ended. Got the seller down from 400. Did quite a bit of research and all seems to be decent performance wise. Wanted bang for my buck.

Guys, I need a new recording computer. I'm done with macs and the newest version of Digital Performer is cross-compatible instead of being OSX only. I realize this is probably a sort of odd question for a video game forum, but recording forums suck really bad for... well, anything actually.

I guess the main difference here is that I don't need a nice video card. I have a gaming computer with a gtx460 in it. I'm not too worried about that. What I DO need however is something fast and with a lot of memory. I'm looking at 8GBs to start, but expandable further if I ever need it to be. And as far as video cards go, I'd like something with dual monitor support, and hd, but doesn't need much more than that. And I guess I'd like a small case to house this in too, if at all possible. I'm looking to spend around $600-700USD on this.

Oh! and I need to be able to plug firewire 1394 devices in there. USB 3.0 would be nice too.

snack

Yeah, it's been brutal looking up the card I wanted since newegg look like the only ones who aren't marking it up like mad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202063

Was refreshing the page tonight and it suddenly appeared back in stock. Worked all the way up to verifying the purchase where it said they were out again even though the store wasn't updating.

Tried a couple more times and finally the purchase went through :phew:

I think between selling the copy of BF4 and my old card (5770), I'm gonna walk away pretty pain free

I'm in the same situation you're in. I have a 5770 as well and trying to get a R9 790x as a replacement. Should be a night and day difference.

LordAlu

Guys, I need a new recording computer. I'm done with macs and the newest version of Digital Performer is cross-compatible instead of being OSX only. I realize this is probably a sort of odd question for a video game forum, but recording forums suck really bad for... well, anything actually.

I guess the main difference here is that I don't need a nice video card. I have a gaming computer with a gtx460 in it. I'm not too worried about that. What I DO need however is something fast and with a lot of memory. I'm looking at 8GBs to start, but expandable further if I ever need it to be. And as far as video cards go, I'd like something with dual monitor support, and hd, but doesn't need much more than that. And I guess I'd like a small case to house this in too, if at all possible. I'm looking to spend around $600-700USD on this.

Oh! and I need to be able to plug firewire 1394 devices in there. USB 3.0 would be nice too.
How's this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Aerocool DS-Cube MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($109.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.26 @ OutletPC)
Other: Rosewill PCIe 1394b Card (RC-506E) ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $702.17
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 14:49 EST-0500)

i5 and plenty of RAM, along with a sound card that supports ASIO and a firewire card. Included Windows in there too but if you've already got it you could sub it for a better processor or SSD?

MadSexual

Did anyone else notice the price increase on PSUs across the board? What the hell happened? A PSU I had picked for a build went from a stable $70 to almost $100.

How's this?

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Microcenter)

i5 and plenty of RAM, along with a sound card that supports ASIO and a firewire card. Included Windows in there too but if you've already got it you could sub it for a better processor or SSD?

That looks great to me! I have windows 7 still from when I built my current pc. Is that a one-time use thing, or can I install it on multiple computers?

And I'm assuming the motherboard has integrated video?

LordAlu

That looks great to me! I have windows 7 still from when I built my current pc. Is that a one-time use thing, or can I install it on multiple computers?
You'll need a new one, you can only use Windows on one system. Forgot to mention that there are different coloured versions of that case too - black, white, silver, orange, red and gold. All the same price so you can choose one you like.

MadSexual

How's this?

What kind of recording are you doing? You might consider skipping the Xonar internal sound card and going with a more robust external unit like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FireStuMobile

LordAlu

I already have a focusrite saffire pro 24 (hence the need for firewire), so I was thinking of skipping the additional soundcard.
Sweet. Skip the sound card and go for a better processor, more RAM or SSD. To answer your earlier question as well it just uses integrated video.

You could go even smaller than that with only the one add-on card and get ITX too.

kharma45

This would be just outside your budget if you want to go small.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($35.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $722.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 15:41 EST-0500)

musicjunkie

Neo Member
Anyone have any first hand experience with gaming at 1440p on a 2GB GTX 770?

Been eyeing the QNIX QX2710 and just don't want to be insanely disappointed with the performance.

coughlanio

My Seagate NAS recently died (which I used mainly for streaming media) so I decided to build an HTPC to replace it. With Kaveri coming soon, I decided to gamble on it being a good performer, so I went with an FM2+ build, so once January rolls around, I'll drop in a 7850K and possibly a dedicated CrossfireX-compatible GPU.

I went with the following:
  • AMD A4-4000 APU
  • Asus A88XM-Plus FM2+ mATX motherboard
  • 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz DDR3 RAM
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • Corsair CX500 PSU
  • Fractal Design Core 1000 case
Budget was the main goal, and I got all the above for ~£260 Not bad considering it has an SSD, fast RAM, and what I would consider decent parts.

What do you guys think?

TheBear

I'm about to RMA my 7970. Thinking about upgrading to a 290, is it worthwhile? I hear it runs hot and is noisy, I have no intentions of overclocking so will it be an issue?
Is there an aftermarket cooler I can run? I know everyone says to wait for the non-ref cards but I kind of need to pick up a card today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom