• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

- J - D -

My cpu water cooler may have sprung a leak (corsair H80). I saw a long streak of water droplets on my case's side window, which means a drop of water must have fallen from somewhere and was spread and pushed against the window by my evga gpu's ACX fans, since that type of gpu cooling spreads air outwards horizontally.

But I don't see signs of moisture anywhere else inside my pc. I'm very paranoid and am now testing to see where it could be coming from. It's too warm to be condensation.

Not a good first impression of water cooling, even though it's been working fine for a couple months now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Great cable management. This is your first PC build right? A lot of people who I've seen doing their first PC builds neglect to put the effort into cable management. Always a good thing to do IMO.

thanks man, i appreciate it. yep, its my first one. i read about how airflow is affected from cable stuff and one of the how-tos i watched stressed cable management and spent a good portion of it showing what he did.

i try to adhere to the mantra "do it right or don't do it at all"

usually.

Soodanim

By chance I saw a BitFenix Prodigy in the wild today, and compared to the Corsair 300R next to it the size was quite nice. It's got me wondering what a build in one would be like. I know they have plenty of space, but what about mild overclocks? I'm thinking of an i5k + standard air cooling with a 760/7950ish GPU, with overclocking to about 4.0-4.2gHz. You know, the standard easy overclock. You'll have to forgive my memory on the CPU and fan names, it's been a while since I have thought about it.

Nakazato

Ok guys bout to make a purchase. But I have question could I run a 760 with a 430 watt ps or should I just go for the 750ti?

And how bad would my i3 be bottlenecked by the 760 if I go that way ?

NoRéN

it only took about 3 months but I finally received my rebate from newegg.

After rebates my i7 build came out to about $825 after taxes.

I feel i did pretty good. :)

redlegs87

NoRéN;101881871 said:
it only took about 3 months but I finally received my rebate from newegg.

After rebates my i7 build came out to about $825 after taxes.

I feel i did pretty good. :)

What are your full specs?

NoRéN

Case - Corsair Carbide 200R
CPU - i7-4770k
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H
RAM - G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU - MSI Twin Frozr OC HD7850 2GB
Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
PSU - Rosewill HIVE Series 750W Modular PSU
Optical - Asus 24x DVD-RW DRW-24B1ST
Heatsink - CM Hyper 212 EVO
Fans - 4 Corsair AF120mm Case Fans
Monitor - Asus VS248H-P 24”
OS - Windows 7 64-Bit

Hey guys, I need some help with troubleshooting.

I was playing Planetside 2 on my new right last night, and it was awesome. However, twice after I died my machine froze for about 3 seconds. The audio turned into a loud "BRRRR" sound as it froze, both of my monitors went black (game was only on one of them) and then it just came back. It never happened while I was playing in first person though which was strange, only when I died and it sent me back to the map.

So far I haven't seen this in other games, but I haven't put a whole lot of time into others, just loaded a bunch up to see performance for about 3-5 minutes.

The temperatures in the case seem ok. CPU became a max of 40C and GPU was up to 75C.

I'm going to be running through other games today to try and see if it repro's in anything else. If it doesn't, then it may be something that Planetside could be at fault with.

I'm thinking there are three things that could be at fault (outside of the game itself causing the issue):

1) GPU Drivers
2) GPU itself
3) MoBo

I don't know what I could do to diagnose it though. Looking through the Windows Event Viewer, nothing jumps out at me that could be at fault. What other utilities could I use to verify mobo/GPU are good?

Any suggestions are welcome. As I said it's only Planetside so far, but it's a bit scary and I really hope there isn't some sort of hardware issue happening.

knitoe

Hey guys, I need some help with troubleshooting.

I was playing Planetside 2 on my new right last night, and it was awesome. However, twice after I died my machine froze for about 3 seconds. The audio turned into a loud "BRRRR" sound as it froze, both of my monitors went black (game was only on one of them) and then it just came back. It never happened while I was playing in first person though which was strange, only when I died and it sent me back to the map.

So far I haven't seen this in other games, but I haven't put a whole lot of time into others, just loaded a bunch up to see performance for about 3-5 minutes.

The temperatures in the case seem ok. CPU became a max of 40C and GPU was up to 75C.

I'm going to be running through other games today to try and see if it repro's in anything else. If it doesn't, then it may be something that Planetside could be at fault with.

I'm thinking there are three things that could be at fault (outside of the game itself causing the issue):

1) GPU Drivers
2) GPU itself
3) MoBo

I don't know what I could do to diagnose it though. Looking through the Windows Event Viewer, nothing jumps out at me that could be at fault. What other utilities could I use to verify mobo/GPU are good?

Any suggestions are welcome. As I said it's only Planetside so far, but it's a bit scary and I really hope there isn't some sort of hardware issue happening.
Probably, the GPU driver crashed. I am guessing you have a Nvidia video card. If you have the card OC, run it at stock. It happens to me with SLI Titans.

Probably, the GPU driver crashed. I am guessing you have a Nvidia video card. If you have the card OC, run it at stock. It happens to me with SLI Titans.

Yup, I do. I got the 780 Ti Superclocked edition from EVGA so it came OC'ed. I'd prefer to leave it until it becomes more of a problem. Though, if there's software I can use where I can tell the card to run at stock frequencies but only when running PS2 (and use its normal OC mode otherwise), that would be great.

Does it happen to you in any other games by chance?

I just ran through 3D Mark once and no issues (I'm going to leave it to run on a loop in a few minutes).

I have a question about the power to the card though. I have the 780 Ti and it requires two power connectors. I plugged in a 6-port and an 6+2-port power connector into it, but they both are on the same line to the PSU. Should I be using separate power lines for each port to get stable power?

I had GPU-Z open while I was doing 3DMark and for "PerfCap Reason" it listed it as Power, so maybe I have that set up incorrectly.

*Edit* I just enabled logging to the windows event logger in Nvidia GeForce Experience -> Preferences so hopefully when I run into that issue again I can double check and make sure that I see an error in there about the driver crashing.

b0bbyJ03

Im building my first gaming PC and I just order a 270x. My father is offering me a 500 watt cooler master for free but one of my enthusiast friends says he wouldn't recommend going that low on the power supply. I noticed that in the OP it shows that a 500 watt supply should be fine for any card under $250. Im just wondering what other people with the 270x are using. Any comments, advice, or opinions would be appreciated. thanks.

Citizen K

Thinking about getting a new case because I want usb 3 sockets on the front (need to build a new pc for someone soon so may give them my case as they are only casual users). I have a fractal define R3 but without usb 3.0 sockets on the front so thats the style of case I like.

So whats the sleekest sexiest case around right now in your opinion gaf. Any slick new features in the world of PC cases lol? Nothing really grabbing me from the OP except maybe the NZXT H630.

knitoe

Yup, I do. I got the 780 Ti Superclocked edition from EVGA so it came OC'ed. I'd prefer to leave it until it becomes more of a problem. Though, if there's software I can use where I can tell the card to run at stock frequencies but only when running PS2 (and use its normal OC mode otherwise), that would be great.

Does it happen to you in any other games by chance?

I just ran through 3D Mark once and no issues (I'm going to leave it to run on a loop in a few minutes).

I have a question about the power to the card though. I have the 780 Ti and it requires two power connectors. I plugged in a 6-port and an 6+2-port power connector into it, but they both are on the same line to the PSU. Should I be using separate power lines for each port to get stable power?

I had GPU-Z open while I was doing 3DMark and for "PerfCap Reason" it listed it as Power, so maybe I have that set up incorrectly.

*Edit* I just enabled logging to the windows event logger in Nvidia GeForce Experience -> Preferences so hopefully when I run into that issue again I can double check and make sure that I see an error in there about the driver crashing.

If I OC higher than the factory OC settings, GPU drivers can crash in same games, like FF14 RR. Even though, it was fine in benchmarking and testing. If you are running at the stock factory OC and it's crashing, the factory OC may not be 100% stable. Run EVGA Precision X, use a lower clock/memory speed and see if it still crashes. If this solves your problem, you might want to RMA your card.

Delt31

Besides being nice, silent, etc are the SSD necessary? I ask b/c I have a ton of hard drive space as it is - any need to spend the extra cash?

Besides being nice, silent, etc are the SSD necessary? I ask b/c I have a ton of hard drive space as it is - any need to spend the extra cash?

From what I understand it's one of the more significant upgrades you can make.

Also a bunch of my parts showed up today and I'm crazy excited.

kakashi08

If you can afford it, go for the 780ti. You can never have enough power.

If I go for the 780ti which one is the best one? evga, asus, etc?
and if i go for the 780 which one?

The 780ti, EVGA 780 Ti Superclocked 3GB sounds good? or Asus or something else.

I'll decide on the 780ti or 780, I'll need more help on deciding which brand.

Arkadios

Where can I find a good site or way to know more about motherboards? I don't know much about them and that makes comparisons hard to understand.

Smokey

My cpu water cooler may have sprung a leak (corsair H80). I saw a long streak of water droplets on my case's side window, which means a drop of water must have fallen from somewhere and was spread and pushed against the window by my evga gpu's ACX fans, since that type of gpu cooling spreads air outwards horizontally.

But I don't see signs of moisture anywhere else inside my pc. I'm very paranoid and am now testing to see where it could be coming from. It's too warm to be condensation.

Not a good first impression of water cooling, even though it's been working fine for a couple months now.

Rma

Im building my first gaming PC and I just order a 270x. My father is offering me a 500 watt cooler master for free but one of my enthusiast friends says he wouldn't recommend going that low on the power supply. I noticed that in the OP it shows that a 500 watt supply should be fine for any card under $250. Im just wondering what other people with the 270x are using. Any comments, advice, or opinions would be appreciated. thanks.

Some of us had a discussion here last night a page back. I'm of the opinion that more than what you need is always the safer, better bet. If it was me I'd get 600 watt or slightly higher. That said, some people here who know more than I would tell you that a 500w PSU is fine. They are probably right, but having that extra power gives you substantially more options in the future(overclocking, adding another GFX card, etc)

I think it has more on what you plan on doing with your PC or what you intend to do with it in the future.

If I OC higher than the factory OC settings, GPU drivers can crash in same games, like FF14 RR. Even though, it was fine in benchmarking and testing. If you are running at the stock factory OC and it's crashing, the factory OC may not be 100% stable. Run EVGA Precision X, use a lower clock/memory speed and see if it still crashes. If this solves your problem, you might want to RMA your card.

I really got to do this. Getting a bunch of driver crashes with the 780 I got right before Christmas on a few games now with just the factory OC. At first I didn't think it was a hardware problem because I was having the same thing happen on my old computer in FF14RR, but since I've got it happening in other games as well now I think it is.

Teggy

I'm getting kind of sick of waiting for a new AM3+ CPU. Looks like we'll be lucky to even get one in 2015 right now.

Is this a good time to jump to Intel or are there any major updates I should hold out for?

I'm getting kind of sick of waiting for a new AM3+ CPU. Looks like we'll be lucky to even get one in 2015 right now.

Is this a good time to jump to Intel or are there any major updates I should hold out for?

It's a great time. Anything from intel i5 or higher will last you a long time. Great CPU's.

Been playing Planetside 2 for the past hour or so.

Ran into one issue which I confirmed in the event log was a NVidia driver crash.

Lowered the speed from the stock OC and haven't run into issues yet. Seems like an RMA is in my future for the card. :(

Delt31

btw - anything I should know about making sure the PC to TV experience is seamless? I'm a console gamer who will be using a xbox controller and HDMI hook up to my gfx card to my tv. anything i'm missing?

btw - anything I should know about making sure the PC to TV experience is seamless? I'm a console gamer who will be using a xbox controller and HDMI hook up to my gfx card to my tv. anything i'm missing?
Either booting directly into Steam Big Picture Mode, Pinnacle Profiler, or having a wireless mouse around to handle complex interface stuff.

jd78

Neo Member

500W is just fine and since it's free I would go with that.

Some of us had a discussion here last night a page back. I'm of the opinion that more than what you need is always the safer, better bet. If it was me I'd get 600 watt or slightly higher. That said, some people here who know more than I would tell you that a 500w PSU is fine. They are probably right, but having that extra power gives you substantially more options in the future(overclocking, adding another GFX card, etc)

I think it has more on what you plan on doing with your PC or what you intend to do with it in the future.

Your point would be valid in most cases, but since this is about a initial build and the option is between a free 500W power supply or buying a 600W+ power supply. I say he should go with the 500W power supply and if he needs more down the road due to upgrades or anything then he can always get a new power supply as well.

Either booting directly into Steam Big Picture Mode, Pinnacle Profiler, or having a wireless mouse around to handle complex interface stuff.
The wireless Xbox 360 dongle that can be had for around $10 is a champ and makes using a wireless controller for your pc as simple as using it for the 360 too.
500W is just fine and since it's free I would go with that.

Your point would be valid in most cases, but since this is about a initial build and the option is between a free 500W power supply or buying a 600W+ power supply. I say he should go with the 500W power supply and if he needs more down the road due to upgrades or anything then he can always get a new power supply as well.

Very true. You can't argue with free. I'd just say that he should ensure that the PSU is a dependable one.

- J - D -

Yep, there's going to be an RMA in my near future, but there's a twist!

It turns out that it wasn't my water cooler that was leaking, it was the gpu itself! Or more specifically, the fans. I took the card out and looked at it carefully and it looks like the fans were leaking the oil/grease substance that keeps them lubricated. The hints of a rattling sound coming from the affected fan seemed to confirm my worries. I see fan death in the future if I don't act now. RMA.

This isn't my card/pic, but I saw it while researching the issue and this guy's situation is the same as mine:
WLPSt10.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Is there any news of any new CPU sockets or hardware coming in the future I should be considering before looking to put together a build? I'm still weighing my options between picking up a Sandy board for my current i5 2500k (for a mini itx build) or just going for Haswell. However, if there is something coming later in the year I should wait for before a big upgrade, I don't mind doing that either.

SleazyC

Is there any news of any new CPU sockets or hardware coming in the future I should be considering before looking to put together a build? I'm still weighing my options between picking up a Sandy board for my current i5 2500k (for a mini itx build) or just going for Haswell. However, if there is something coming later in the year I should wait for before a big upgrade, I don't mind doing that either.
I don't think Broadwell i7 will be out until Q1 2015. I don't think we will see very large gains until the chipset that supports DDR4 comes out but I am not aware of specifics of Intel's roadmap.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't think Broadwell i7 will be out until Q1 2015. I don't think we will see very large gains until the chipset that supports DDR4 comes out but I am not aware of specifics of Intel's roadmap.

Then I may just heed the OT's advice and stick with my i5 2500K. Should save me some money =D

Ok, I have a quick question. I'm not going to build a new PC until next year, but would like to buy a new card to give my current PC a bump. What's the best GPU to pair with a Phenom II X6 1045T that won't bottleneck? Will Mantle help?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I realize I'll probably need to buy a new PSU as well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hey GAF,

Which SSD do I get? My mobo has an Msata slot spare and it would give me room for another 3.5" drive later on in my bitfenix prodigy, which does not have much room left at all.

250GB MSATA SSD SAMSUNG

256GB SSD SAMSUNG

What's better?
I feel like mSATA has higher DOA/failure from the very few amount of online retailer reviews (not a good source) and I'd probably want to swap the drive around later.

I'd get some doublesided tape and the regular SSD if it was my system.

LordAlu

Ok, I have a quick question. I'm not going to build a new PC until next year, but would like to buy a new card to give my current PC a bump. What's the best GPU to pair with a Phenom II X6 1045T that won't bottleneck? Will Mantle help?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I realize I'll probably need to buy a new PSU as well.
Depends on your budget. If you're going to build a new PC next year it might be best to buy a graphics card and power supply that you'd be happy to transfer across to your new one too.

Hey GAF,

Which SSD do I get? My mobo has an Msata slot spare and it would give me room for another 3.5" drive later on in my bitfenix prodigy, which does not have much room left at all.

250GB MSATA SSD SAMSUNG

256GB SSD SAMSUNG

What's better?
I've never had a problem with mSATA personally, but as you're getting an SSD you could just not use a drive bay and stick the drive to the inside of the case somewhere. There's no moving parts so there's no real need to use a bay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom