• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
i suppose the PSU at this point is the most likely culprit just being too low, but the firewire port is only taking a PCI slot for the power.

i still have to plug in the wifi card after the graphics card, and then another side fan. at the moment, 5 fans are being powered, and they can't exceed a certain amount of wattage, i would think.

but i'm not planning on putting anything else on the thing. maybe there are too many fans for it?

The PSU is fine. The steam machine beta box was running almost the same stuff on 100 watts less.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS2X CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.24 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($531.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone ML04B HTPC Case ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Silverstone Technology RC01 PCI Express Riser Card ($50.53)
Total: $1350.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-22 03:07 EST-0500)

If the PSU was the problem you would just get a black screen. Plus your GPU is not even going into full load so there's zero chance it's sucking up all the power.

i suppose the PSU at this point is the most likely culprit just being too low, but the firewire port is only taking a PCI slot for the power.

i still have to plug in the wifi card after the graphics card, and then another side fan. at the moment, 5 fans are being powered, and they can't exceed a certain amount of wattage, i would think.

but i'm not planning on putting anything else on the thing. maybe there are too many fans for it?

It's possible, but it sounds like it's just too much for that PSU. You could take out items from your PC to make it all work, but would you really want to? You have some great parts(hehe) and I'd hate to not be able to use them. Besides fans don't draw a ton of power, and they keep your parts nice and cool. I'd see if you could return your PSU and get at least a 650w 80+ certified one. If it were me I'd get a 750w though so you have a bit of extra room in case you want to add or change things to your PC in the future. Again, your call, but all that nice tech and not enough power is a bit of a bummer if you can't let it flex it's muscles like it wants to. I'm thinking whomever told you a 550w was enough probably didn't take into consideration all the extra parts that you were adding.

The PSU is fine. The steam machine beta box was running almost the same stuff on 100 watts less.

If the PSU was the problem you would just get a black screen. Plus your GPU is not even going into full load so there's zero chance it's sucking up all the power.

Not true at all. I've seen friends with builds that let them install Win7 and everything else and when they'd start playing a game their PC would shut down as it was drawing too much power. Replaced the PSU and everything has been fine ever since. Also that was what was happening before he started taking parts off.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

thats what i was getting before i took everything out, though. just a black screen.

i plugged in all the SATA things again, and the audio/USB connectors. gonna do the USB 3 and one other thing, see what happens. then i'll do the GPU and see what happens.

DarkFlow

Banned
It's possible, but it sounds like it's just too much for that PSU. You could take out items from your PC to make it all work, but would you really want to? You have some great parts(hehe) and I'd hate to not be able to use them. Besides fans don't draw a ton of power, and they keep your parts nice and cool. I'd see if you could return your PSU and get at least a 650w 80+ certified one. If it were me I'd get a 750w though so you have a bit of extra room in case you want to add or change things to your PC in the future. Again, your call, but all that nice tech and not enough power is a bit of a bummer if you can't let it flex it's muscles like it wants to. I'm thinking whomever told you a 550w was enough probably didn't take into consideration all the extra parts that you were adding.
Sigh, Again he has more then a enough. He's using a gold rated PSU and he's not even engaging the GPU to use anywhere near 300 watts let alone all 550 of them. They also go super high on the PSU specs because some people like to get cheap crappy ones that don't pump out what they should. He most likely just did not plug something in right.

Not true at all. I've seen friends with builds that let them install Win7 and everything else and when they'd start playing a game their PC would shut down as it was drawing too much power. Replaced the PSU and everything has been fine ever since. Also that was what was happening before he started taking parts off.
Then your friend most likely had a PSU that had shitty 12 volt rails and not enough amps to cover the GPU when it kicked into full power. And before you say it, his PSU has 45.5A on the 12V rail, and his card calls for 42, so he's more then fine.

Sigh, Again he has more then a enough. He's using a gold rated PSU and he's not even engaging the GPU to use anywhere near 300 watts let alone all 550 of them. They also go super high on the PSU specs because some people like to get cheap crappy ones that don't pump out what they should. He most likely just did not plug something in right.

Then your friend most likely had a PSU that had shitty 12 volt rails and not enough amps to cover the GPU when it kicked into full power.

I'll concede that I know less about PC building than you, I only work on 1000w transmitters and not PC's which are much more finely tuned than big ass transmitters. I mean that genuinely too even if it comes out snarky as shit. :p

I was just relaying my experiences in the 4 times I've built and helped my buddies build their PC's. I've probably suggested a better PSU than they need, but they've never had power issues either, I tend to stray on the side of safety or lots of overhead room as opposed to exactly what you may need for a PC.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'll concede that I know less about PC building than you, I only work on 1000w transmitters and not PC's which are much more finely tuned than big ass transmitters. I mean that genuinely too even if it comes out snarky as shit. :p

I was just relaying my experiences in the 4 times I've built and helped my buddies build their PC's. I've probably suggested a better PSU than they need, but they've never had power issues either, I tend to stray on the side of safety or lots of overhead room as opposed to exactly what you may need for a PC.

His PSU could be faulty, but the headroom is fine for what he's doing. If he starts OCing then he might have a problem. Don't think I'm trying to talk down to you, because I don't think I know more or anything just I've been in PSU research mode the last week so this shit is all fresh in my head lol.

davepoobond

Video Card

hallelujah it works. there were gray horizontal lines for a couple of seconds and then it went to the BIOS. it was probably trying to find the boot drives during that.

its very possible i didnt plug something in right. i'll try now with the firewire card.

His PSU could be faulty, but the headroom is fine for what he's doing. If he starts OCing then he might have a problem. Don't think I'm trying to talk down to you, because I don't think I know more or anything just I've been in PSU research mode the last week so this shit is all fresh in my head lol.

i was planning on doing the automatic overclocking thing that the ASUS disc comes with. not a good idea? i would think that it would automatically configure based on what the PSU is feeding the system anyway

Pachimari

In theory you would/will be, BUT, my preference is to have more than what you need especially if you intend on installing other cards(extra GPU, Capture Card, TV tuner, etc) If you don't intend on doing that and not much OC you'll be fine with 550w. But, again, I'd advise for more than what you need.
I'm gonna install 2 HDDs, 1 SSD and 1 network card. I have a tv tuner externally. I hope 550w will be enough as a start and then I can always upgrade it I assume. Or maybe I can exchange it for another with more watt.

DarkFlow

Banned
hallelujah it works. there were gray horizontal lines for a couple of seconds and then it went to the BIOS. it was probably trying to find the boot drives during that.

its very possible i didnt plug something in right. i'll try now with the firewire card.

i was planning on doing the automatic overclocking thing that the ASUS disc comes with. not a good idea? i would think that it would automatically configure based on what the PSU is feeding the system anyway

Good to hear, and I meant for the GPU. OC the CPU should be fine.

Baby-worship-lawd.gif

DarkFlow

Banned
whoops, i linked the wrong graphics card there. its the superclocked ACX one, not the reference model.

Still fine, they all use the same base power. If you evet plan on OCing the GPU you'll MAYBE want more power, but you also could be fine. Test it out later, the worst that will happen is that you'll reboot.

NoRéN

I bet the video card wasn't seated properly.

Ra1den

For any new builders, a rookie tip: if you plug in a video card when doing your build, you should not plug your display cable into your motherboard, but plug it into the video card. I figured it wouldn't matter just for initial bios stuff, but it does. It seems to need to use the video card if one is plugged in.

Sounds obvious, I know. But it didn't occur to me until later.

davepoobond

Still fine, they all use the same base power. If you evet plan on OCing the GPU you'll MAYBE want more power, but you also could be fine. Test it out later, the worst that will happen is that you'll reboot.

cool, sounds good. Firewire card works too, now.

thank you SO MUCH you guys, i would have just been aimlessly plugging stuff in and out while being worried/frustrated i'm doing something wrong. now i gotta get windows and that wifi card in and then i can start using this monster.

i still have to plug one more fan in, and i have to figure out how to get the front LED lights working (if i want to)

For any new builders, a rookie tip: if you plug in a video card when doing your build, you should not plug your display cable into your motherboard, but plug it into the video card. I figured it wouldn't matter just for initial bios stuff, but it does. It seems to need to use the video card if one is plugged in.

Sounds obvious, I know. But it didn't occur to me until later.

haha, yeah... that was "sort of" my problem, but i think what it really was was that either a stick of RAM or the GPU wasn't inserted correctly. those were really the only things i reinstalled that could have been messed up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Any gaming PC on boot is only going to draw <150W so in a vast majority of cases for trouble shooting if you POST you are going to be fine.

No matter how well I think I plugged stuff in, it's always good to plug and replug. And I've done this thousands of times. glad it POST'd.

See:
[Help! My PC won't turn on/POST/Boot]

• Check your manual for beep codes or debug LED display codes
  • Shutoff your PC, switch off the PSU, and unplug the power cable. Wait 10s and hold the power button to drain the remaining power out of the system
  • Check your power is on I and the correct Voltage (120V/240V)
  • Check that you plugged in the extra motherboard power (4 or 8 pin)
  • Reconnect all your cables (Data and Power)
  • Try a single stick of memory in the first RAM slot (read your manual), then try the other
  • Check for any loose screws or bits in the case and behind the motherboard
  • Check that you installed the motherboard standoff screws (Some cases have these pre-installed)
  • Remount the GPU on another PCI-E slot, or try no GPU
  • As a last step assemble the bare minimum outside the case (PSU, CPU, Heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, nothing else)

thank you SO MUCH you guys, i would have just been aimlessly plugging stuff in and out while being worried/frustrated i'm doing something wrong. now i gotta get windows and that wifi card in and then i can start using this monster.

i still have to plug one more fan in, and i have to figure out how to get the front LED lights working (if i want to)

haha, yeah... that was "sort of" my problem, but i think what it really was was that either a stick of RAM or the GPU wasn't inserted correctly. those were really the only things i reinstalled that could have been messed up.

Glad to see it all worked out!

Be sure to post the final build when it's all put together.

davepoobond

Glad to see it all worked out!

Be sure to post the final build when it's all put together.

will do. its essentially done from the hardware-look perspective besides the wifi card, and i've got some pictures during the whole thing, so i'll put them up in a few minutes.

DarkFlow

Banned

Now sacrifice a Twix to the PC gods and call it a day, good job! Also if you need Windows, Reddit is your friend. $30!

Now sacrifice a Twix to the PC gods and call it a day, good job! Also if you need Windows, Reddit is your friend. $30!

I'll be buying a copy of Win7 from here in a week or so when I put my wife's PC together. Everyone say's this is pretty reliable.

eidt: I have Win7 already on a flash-drive too ready to install, just waiting on my wife's new PC case to come in. Thanks for the link!

davepoobond

yeah, about that... i dont have a PC that can download windows 8 and put it in 64 bit on a flash drive/disc... so i bought it already otherwise (waiting for it to ship). i know its probably dumb to do, but i just wanted to get it done, couldn't figure out how else to do it.

DarkFlow

Banned
I run the risk of the key being sold again and possibly used if I were to buy it now and not use it until next week yeah?

I doubt it, they could technically do that to you even after you've used a key just by entering it into a another build, but I've never heard of them doing that.

mili2110

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mxQ1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS2X CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($531.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone ML04B HTPC Case ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Silverstone Technology RC01 PCI Express Riser Card ($50.53)
Total: $1350.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-22 03:07 EST-0500)

the silverstone ML04 case can't fit a gtx780 respectively dual slot gpus

Sanctuary

Had I known in October how utterly shit Windows 8 is compared to 7, I would have just purchased another 7. Do yourself a favor and just stick with 7, unless you want a schizophrenic OS that requires additional apps to suck a lot less. About the only thing it does better is SSD management.

DarkFlow

Banned
Had I known in October how utterly shit Windows 8 is compared to 7, I would have just purchased another 7. Do yourself a favor and just stick with 7, unless you want a schizophrenic OS that requires additional apps to suck a lot less. About the only thing it does better is SSD management.

Please don't bring that shit in here.

Pachimari

And here I almost clicked the "buy" button at a Danish website who sells Windows 7 for $130..

If I buy a Win7 64-bit key from reddit, I will just have to put it on a USB drive and then plug it into my new computer and the installation will start automatically?

Need help. Upgrade from my old 80GB Intel to a 240GB Crucial. I used EaseUS to clone my SSD to the new one. Read speeds are way too slow! AHCI is enabled, TRIM is fine, alignment is fine. No big disk activity while I did the benchmarks. Just updated RST drivers it's still the same. What am I missing? There's no bias with the contents of the HDD because the contents of my new and old SSDs are the exact same right now. I can't get over how my read speeds are about 1/4 as fast as it should be, and that it's half of my old read speeds.

edit: I checked my drives under Intel RST and compared to my other drives.
- SATA transfer rate is only 1.5Gbps compared to 3.0 for others (including my HDDs). Yes, I'm using the exact same cables and ports. Why is it running at SATA1?
- Physical sector size is 4096 bytes compared to 512 bytes for others (again, including my HDDs). Does it affect anything?

Here is my Crucial M500 240GB:

What I SHOULD be getting according to the Hexus review:

In comparison, here is my old 80GB Intel X25.

And here I almost clicked the "buy" button at a Danish website who sells Windows 7 for $130..

If I buy a Win7 64-bit key from reddit, I will just have to put it on a USB drive and then plug it into my new computer and the installation will start automatically?

You just have to point your BIOS to the flash drive as the boot drive you want to start with. After that you just follow the standard Win7 prompts. And Win7 USB download tool if you don't know how to make an image of Win7. It's really easy to use.

Yeah, I don't agree at all.

And I am not even running additional apps to make it suck less. Get out of here if you just come to flame on Windows 8 without presenting good arguments.

Windows 8.1 is the best MS OS to date.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Agreed, it is barely an improvement over the previous Windows versions. But there are some improvements over Windows 7/Windows 8 which makes it the best MS OS.

And I feel much more comfortable telling people to get a newer product that at least is going to be supported for longer.

SleazyC

Need help. Upgrade from my old 80GB Intel to a 240GB Crucial. I used EaseUS to clone my SSD to the new one.
I know it shouldn't matter, and it will be a pain in the ass to test this, but have you tried running the benchmarks on the freshly formatted drive?

I'm wondering if cloning the drive could have done something.

Here's a few pictures for you guys. I have more, but they're kinda bad/boring/redundant anyway.
Great cable management. This is your first PC build right? A lot of people who I've seen doing their first PC builds neglect to put the effort into cable management. Always a good thing to do IMO.

Hmmm would this be a good deal compared to say the Gigabyte UD3H? I will probably be buying the mobo on friday and if it is still only 120 then I might just go for the asrock board.
I think they are both great motherboards but I don't think I could tell you which is better. Just off of cursory reviews of the UD3H I am seeing some complains about the Marvel SATA controller and some other components on the motherboard. It looked like it overclocked just as good as the ASRock motherboard for HardOCP but the ASRock motherboard did get a gold rating while the Gigabyte one did not.

http://imgur.com/a/NgPod

Just finished my new build. Just need some suggestions for good fan management software, any ideas?
Awesome ITX case. That's pretty much my dream build, with the 250D. I would love to move my 780Ti SC monster into such a small case but my ATX mid-tower is completely serviceable and I can't justify cosmetics-only gain lol.

Do you really need that 80 mm fan? If you set up your rad fans such that it's pushing outside ambient air rather than pushing inside air (as suggested in the TTL review), that should provide better cooling, no? Plus it would make the case a positive pressure case and all the hot air inside the case would naturally passively exit out the rear vents.

Alucrid

Banned
Would a Mid Tower (Fractal Design R4) have any issues with future graphics cards in terms of space? Using a GTX 460 atm and want to upgrade everything sans video card right now.

LJ11

Would a Mid Tower (Fractal Design R4) have any issues with future graphics cards in terms of space? Using a GTX 460 atm and want to upgrade everything sans video card right now.

None at all, lots of space, room for two pretty huge cards if you choose to go that way at some point.

SleazyC

Thinking I might want to add an SSD to the stuff I just ordered. Any recommendations for a 240-250 gb?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820248016&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS022214&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS022214-_-EMC-022214-Index-_-SSD-_-20248016-L01A for $120?
Kingston HyperX 240GB is $139.99 after instant coupon NOP117352 at Tiger Direct - link

I use one of these in my Macbook Pro and its pretty fast.

Crucial M500 is $135 on Newegg right now. Don't own one but pretty solid drive from what I've heard - link

OR it's $122 on NCIX - link

SSD prices are really low right now so its a great time to buy. My personal recommendation would be the Kingston but that's only because I own it and have had a positive experience with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom