• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTT

A friend just got this for me from work for a discount, but it's just the drive. Nothing else.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...kwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CKe9yqrk4bwCFc5DMgodUloAMg

Reading the posts above, I'm thinking it'd be possible to just set it somewhere in the case, plug it in and forget about it? Or would it be safer to "properly secure" it? (Not even sure how that's done, which is what I came here to ask about originally)

Thoughts? Do SSD not get hot at all? No risk in letting them sit wherever?

SleazyC

A friend just got this for me from work for a discount, but it's just the drive. Nothing else.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...kwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CKe9yqrk4bwCFc5DMgodUloAMg

Reading the posts above, I'm thinking it'd be possible to just set it somewhere in the case, plug it in and forget about it? Or would it be safer to "properly secure" it? (Not even sure how that's done, which is what I came here to ask about originally)

Thoughts? Do SSD not get hot at all? No risk in letting them sit wherever?
Since SSD's have no moving parts they can usually be fine just sitting somewhere not properly secured but you still need to understand that any decent movement could cause cables to come loose or potentially damage things. The chances are likely rare but they can happen.

I've actually seen people ductape SSD's to cases before. Looks ugly but works fine.

KTT

Since SSD's have no moving parts they can usually be fine just sitting somewhere not properly secured but you still need to understand that any decent movement could cause cables to come loose or potentially damage things. The chances are likely rare but they can happen.

I've actually seen people ductape SSD's to cases before. Looks ugly but works fine.

Hmm. I don't think I'd be comfortable just having it sit on top of something, because whenever I handled the case (whether it be for cleaning or whatever), I'd always be conscious of it. Would tape reliably hold it? I don't want to pay $10+ for mounting hardware if I don't need it. I guess I should look into it a little further. I know that to "properly" secure it as suggested, it takes a 3.5 to 2.5 bracket and some screws, correct? Do those usually come with the SSD itself or is it common to buy that stuff separately?

Sorry for the easy questions. Haven't built since late 2007 before SSDs were popular.

LordAlu

Hmm. I don't think I'd be comfortable just having it sit on top of something, because whenever I handled the case (whether it be for cleaning or whatever), I'd always be conscious of it. Would tape reliably hold it? I don't want to pay $10+ for mounting hardware if I don't need it. I guess I should look into it a little further. I know that to "properly" secure it as suggested, it takes a 3.5 to 2.5 bracket and some screws, correct? Do those usually come with the SSD itself or is it common to buy that stuff separately?

Sorry for the easy questions. Haven't built since late 2007 before SSDs were popular.
You could tape it down securely and even use cable ties to tie it to any holes in the case to keep it secure. If you do want to do it properly, you can just get one of these:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6483845&CatId=5794

Although generally the case will have come with all the screws you'd need most people will throw them away after they've built their system (why!), so these kits usually come with some screws as well.

SleazyC

If you buy a retail drive they can come with 2.5 to 3.5 brackets. OEM drives will not likely come with brackets. I think a lot of newer cases will also come with some way for you to mount 2.5 drives into the 3.5 or 5 1/2 bays.

KTT

Ah, okay. Cool. Yeah, nothing came with my SSD. Just OEM. I just ordered the Corsair 200R case though, so hopefully that comes with something. If not, I'll probably just velcro it and wait for a stupidly cheap deal on some mounting hardware.

Thanks guys.

LordAlu

Ah, okay. Cool. Yeah, nothing came with my SSD. Just OEM. I just ordered the Corsair 200R case though, so hopefully that comes with something. If not, I'll probably just velcro it and wait for a stupidly cheap deal on some mounting hardware.

Thanks guys.
You won't need anything extra with the 200R, it can mount 2.5 drives natively:

200r_detail_install_hd_1.png

Some of us had a discussion here last night a page back. I'm of the opinion that more than what you need is always the safer, better bet. If it was me I'd get 600 watt or slightly higher. That said, some people here who know more than I would tell you that a 500w PSU is fine. They are probably right, but having that extra power gives you substantially more options in the future(overclocking, adding another GFX card, etc)

I think it has more on what you plan on doing with your PC or what you intend to do with it in the future.

Just btw. a PC equipped with a R270X will usually max. out at sth. like 250 Watts (that the PSU is drawing in total, not what it's effectively delivering to the components!).
So OC for GPU/CPU isn't an issue at all, even a second R270X should work just fine.
Don't know what it is that makes GAF users often have huge PSU's in their PCs ^^

Just as an example: http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/grafikkarten/2014/amd-radeon-r7-265-im-test/7/

(scroll down to "Last Crysis 3", and click the + to see all the other GPUs, this PC is equipped with an i7-4770k @ 4.4ghz)

Delt31

guys - trying to decide between the following and want to know what would make the bigger diff

CPU - i5 2550 vs i5 3570

GPU GTX 670 vs 770

I believe the CPUs are fairly close, with the 3570 working better on single core apps. The 770 is about 15% better I believe. Not sure which I should cheap on (2550 or the 670). What would have the biggest difference?

kennah

guys - trying to decide between the following and want to know what would make the bigger diff

CPU - i5 2550 vs i5 3570

GPU GTX 670 vs 770

I believe the CPUs are fairly close, with the 3570 working better on single core apps. The 770 is about 15% better I believe. Not sure which I should cheap on (2550 or the 670). What would have the biggest difference?

Is the 2550 and 670 what you have now? If so there wouldn't really be a big enough difference with those upgrades to make it worth spending money, in my opinion.

bro1

Banned

CPU - i5 2550 vs i5 3570

GPU GTX 670 vs 770

If this an upgrade from a 2550 or a 670, stick with them. If it is a new purchase get a 3570k and the 770.

Delt31

this would be a new purchase but both are used packages. I was wondering what the better compromise is - getting the 2550 and the 770 or the 3570 and the 670? Meaning would I see a bigger difference in the 2550 vs 3570 or the 670 vs 770?

kennah

They're both within 10-15% of each other. What's the price difference you are looking at?

As well what are the rest of the components?

Delt31

They're both within 10-15% of each other. What's the price difference you are looking at?

As well what are the rest of the components?

They're pretty much the same price and comparable other parts. One guy has a 2550 paired with a 770 and the other 3570 paired with a 670. In that situation, which would you get?

so i bought these Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 MHz for $89

and thinking of upgrading them in the future, but wanted to get 2x8GB

If I want to upgrade I just need to make its DDR3 2133 MHz? Brand doesn't matter?

legacyzero

Banned
Hey GAF, I need assistance with this error. Does this mean that one of my HDDs are failing? I have two (A Western digital, and a Seagate). The PC is working fine right now, though..

However, I'm looking to get a new 2 TB hard drive anyway, and keep the other GOOD drive separately because I hear it's ideal for recording game footage. Is this true?

BTW, here's the HDD I'm looking to buy. Any problems or objections, GAF?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/barracuda-2tb-internal-serial-ata-hard-drive-for-desktops/4919412.p?id=1218577515991&skuId=4919412&st=categoryid$pcmcat270900050001&cp=1&lp=8

Arkanius

Guys what are the cons of playing in Borderless Window even if I have a single screen?
It seems to give me the same performance but with a no loss Vsync. (Windows 8.1)

Hey guys, I've currently got a pretty decent rig with a 680, 2500k, and a couple of SSDs, but I'm really starting to feel that upgrade itch; and I really want to scratch it. I've been looking around for second hand 780ti's, though I haven't found too many in the UK. I was just wondering whether I would see much off an improvement moving from my 680 to a 780ti, and what people think of that card in general. For reference, I have a U2412m 1920 by 1200 monitor, though I do like to downsample to higher resolutions. Cheers!

kharma45

Hey guys, I've currently got a pretty decent rig with a 680, 2500k, and a couple of SSDs, but I'm really starting to feel that upgrade itch; and I really want to scratch it. I've been looking around for second hand 780ti's, though I haven't found too many in the UK. I was just wondering whether I would see much off an improvement moving from my 680 to a 780ti, and what people think of that card in general. For reference, I have a U2412m 1920 by 1200 monitor, though I do like to downsample to higher resolutions. Cheers!

Have you overclocked your 2500K?

Upgrading to the 780 Ti you're getting about a 30% jump.

Have you overclocked your 2500K?

Upgrading to the 780 Ti you're getting about a 30% jump.

Yep, it's running at 4.3 GHz at the moment and pretty cool with my H80. I've tried upping it a bit more, but that pushed the voltages higher than I was happy with.

30% would be a pretty big increase, and should be reasonably future proof right? (Or as future proof as this kind of stuff can be?)

Honey Bunny

I added a 3TB HDD to my comp today. On the first format, it failed with a 'cyclic redundancy error', on second try it formatted fine. Should I be worried?

Delt31

can someone explain what SSD brings to the table besides being quite and booting faster? Is there any other reasons that would help performance.

kharma45

can someone explain what SSD brings to the table besides being quite and booting faster? Is there any other reasons that would help performance.

Everything loads faster, is quieter as you say and uses less power. More reliable too.

That about sums it up.

Yep, it's running at 4.3 GHz at the moment and pretty cool with my H80. I've tried upping it a bit more, but that pushed the voltages higher than I was happy with.

30% would be a pretty big increase, and should be reasonably future proof right? (Or as future proof as this kind of stuff can be?)

Probably will be, it has a lot of grunt.

kek_lel

So pcGAF wizards please lend me your wisdom

will a gtx 750ti and a 4670k do for 1680x1050 in most last gen games (skyrim, dark souls, dark souls2, MG:Rising, total war games, etc) and next gen stuff ? My goal is 60fps and I am willing to lower some settings (except resolution) if needed
I have 4 Gb (2x2GB) DDR3 ram in my old PC. Will I need more? If so what config (e.g. 4x2gb or 2x4gb or 4x4gb)?

I will do some audio related things with my pc so I need that cpu grunt.
For the gpu I thought that the 750ti will run last gen games at at least 60fps while remaining cool and quiet. I plan to upgrade the gpu in maybe 2 years when there are more demanding games. I am expecting the i5 4670k will continue to deliver for the next 5-6 years. The mobo I will buy (Gigabyte Z87M-D3H) seems to be suited for overclocking if that is needed in the future.

I havent built a PC in quite some time so I am not very sure if I do it right.
Am I?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I don't think you would be able to hit 60fps in all those games constantly, but ~50 would probably be doable.

Skyrim would be doable stock on Ultra, but if you start messing with ENB's and texture mods you're going to see some big dips in frame rate.

Personally I would drop the extra $40-50 and get a 660. You might be able to find one on sale for less as well.

Edit: If you are looking for low power though go with the 750 ti.

kharma45

The R7 265 will be better value than both when it launches, at least outside the US as prices there will likely rocket.

Any thoughts on the EVGA Classified? Is it worth the premium or should I just stick to a reference card?

mkenyon likes it a lot, which is a good endorsement.

kek_lel

nah I'm not into modding except for dark souls where it is pretty much needed for better rez
seems like I should be fine with a 750ti
I'll go with a Palit that has a dual fan. It's overclocked (1200 mhz instead of 1050) so it will do good enough i think

Delt31

so still trying to decide on the rig to get. Apparently there is a price diff so leaving to you guys to show me the way.

setup 1 - price 550

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz
Chassis: Corsair Graphite Series Steel Silver 600T Mid-Tower Computer Case
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77
DVD Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
RAM: 8GB DDR 3 1600 MHz
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW 2048MB GDDR5 256bit SLI Ready Graphics Card
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX850)
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CWCH80)
NO Harddrive

Setup 2 - price 700
CPU - I5 2500k
Chassis - Roswell mid tower case with blue lot fans
Motherboard - asrock extreme 3 gen 3
RAM - 8gb ddr3 1600
GPU - GTX 770
Power - 800 watt
1TB HD 7200

I like setup 1 (already have 500gb hd) but setup 2 has the 770 and I'm looking to game 1080p 60fps. thoughts? btw setup 1 guy has gone MIA so who knows if that's on the table so I would like thoughts on even if Setup 2 is a good deal....what worries me is the I5 2500 cpu since it's kind of old and the case is kind of crappy.

kharma45

I'd go number one. Great PSU, good cooler for the CPU, reasonable motherboard and a great case. No brainer really.

Edit - Just saw your edit. 2500K is still fine, there is a reason for the OP title.

kennah

Setup 1 has overall better gear all around. The $150 savings more than makes up for the 15% difference in speed on gpu. A ftw 670 is a very solid card still.

kek_lel

what kind of psu would I need for a i5 4670k + r7 265 combo if I may be switching to a higher end gpu later on ? should be efficient and silent

Delt31

Setup 1 has overall better gear all around. The $150 savings more than makes up for the 15% difference in speed on gpu. A ftw 670 is a very solid card still.

thanks guys. If setup 1 doesn't come through, do you think setup 2 is still a good deal for 700?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom