• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

onionfrog

The R7 265 will be better value than both when it launches, at least outside the US as prices there will likely rocket.
When is the R7 265 supposed to launch?
I've looked online and the only thing I've seen is that it's supposed to come out "sometime in February".

kek_lel

I see
So that will add to cost
But I wanted a new more silent psu anyway (with more sexy cable management)

As for Ram.. How much am I gonna need ? I still have 2x2gb 1066

what kind of psu would I need for a i5 4670k + r7 265 combo if I may be switching to a higher end gpu later on ? should be efficient and silent

In that price range I would just go second hand. The 265 won't hold much value and you could probably buy something that was double the price a year ago for the same as the MSRP of the 265, especially nVidia cards.

I regularly see 660s for $100 on Kijiji, and I myself grabbed a 660TI for $150 from there.

kek_lel

I just checked some 750ti vs r7 265 comparisons and it seems like the 750ti that I originally had in mind which is 13% (edit: its apparently even more than 15%) oc'd compared to a stock 750ti is performing on par with a 265 give or take 2-4 fps and thats it so I might just go with the 750ti, keep my psu and get some nice ram instead

thanks for all the recommendations guys!

kharma45

Really? Wasn't planning on getting a 4GB card initially but the price difference was so minimal I thought I might as well. Is having 4GB completely pointless?

On this card I'd say yes.

I'd also say look at the regular 270 too. It's the same GPU just clocked lower. The MSI Gaming one is ~£130.

I just checked some 750ti vs r7 265 comparisons and it seems like the 750ti that I originally had in mind which is 13% (edit: its apparently even more than 15%) oc'd compared to a stock 750ti is performing on par with a 265 give or take 2-4 fps and thats it so I might just go with the 750ti, keep my psu and get some nice ram instead

thanks for all the recommendations guys!

A 265 will overclock beyond that. Some can get up to near 7950 levels.

kharma45

Yes.

It's what I'm doing albeit mine is a pretty over-specced 430w.

Even then it's still fine, providing it's not some no brand shite.

kharma45

That sounds promising! Could you please post a source for that info?

Have a read at this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18389760

The R7 265 is just a 7850 with a new name and a higher stock clock.

First example I can grab hold of is a BF3 bench

perf_oc.gif

That's it at 1190MHz.

Arkanius

Guys just realized I might have a serious problem:

I bought a Gigabyte R9 280X last week (Windforce 3x) and I've been getting corruption inside my games at random (Sometimes after a while. Sometimes I get nothing). I have tried both the WHQL drivers and the Mantle Beta drivers and I get the same results. Sometimes, changing from windowed mode to fullscreen fixes this temporarily. I have searched about this problem and got no good results. Some people say it's VRAM corruption and that I should RMA.
Others say its a driver issue and that I should try other versions.

What gives? What should I do?
dGBu09W.jpg

8me1j8w.jpg

Not my image:

13401556355JjpvVlbGv_6_5_l.jpg

legacyzero

Banned
Hey GAF, I need assistance with this error. Does this mean that one of my HDDs are failing? I have two (A Western digital, and a Seagate). The PC is working fine right now, though..

However, I'm looking to get a new 2 TB hard drive anyway, and keep the other GOOD drive separately because I hear it's ideal for recording game footage. Is this true?

BTW, here's the HDD I'm looking to buy. Any problems or objections, GAF?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/barracuda-2tb-internal-serial-ata-hard-drive-for-desktops/4919412.p?id=1218577515991&skuId=4919412&st=categoryid$pcmcat270900050001&cp=1&lp=8
For the new page.

kharma45

Yeah that card needs RMA'd unfortunately.

You could try an older driver with a clean install of it if you want but I'm feeling it's the memory gone wrong.

DarkFlow

Banned
When is the R7 265 supposed to launch?
I've looked online and the only thing I've seen is that it's supposed to come out "sometime in February".
Seeing as it's AMD, like a month after they say it will. They love to paper launch then wait a month for stock to trickle out.

TheD

The Detective
Guys just realized I might have a serious problem:

I bought a Gigabyte R9 280X last week (Windforce 3x) and I've been getting corruption inside my games at random (Sometimes after a while. Sometimes I get nothing). I have tried both the WHQL drivers and the Mantle Beta drivers and I get the same results. Sometimes, changing from windowed mode to fullscreen fixes this temporarily. I have searched about this problem and got no good results. Some people say it's VRAM corruption and that I should RMA.
Others say its a driver issue and that I should try other versions.

What gives? What should I do?

That is not a VRAM problem, that is a GPU problem.

Arkanius

That is not a VRAM problem, that is a GPU problem.

VRAM as in, the RAM from the GPU. Which means it's a GPU problem.
Damn, first time going ATi/AMD and I get bad luck :(

I hope I can get a direct swap with another card instead of the lengthy RMA process.

TheD

The Detective

I hope I can get a direct swap with another card instead of the lengthy RMA process.

No, GPU as in the GPU! Not the VRAM that is connected to it.

kharma45

I don't know what Gigabyte is like in Portugal but in the UK it's a three working day turnaround time.

DarkFlow

Banned

Does it matter, the GPU has to be replaced regardless.

If you just bought it, then yeah you could most likely return it and get a new one. If it's been more then 30 days, then go here and start it up.

EDIT: guess that link is NA only, so don't use it. You have to use your Reseller for the RMA process.

Arkanius

Multi derped there. You are right

I don't know what Gigabyte is like in Portugal but in the UK it's a three working day turnaround time.

Never had a RMA process with them, not sure to be honest.

Does it matter, the GPU has to be replaced regardless.

If you just bought it, then yeah you could most likely return it and get a new one. If it's been more then 30 days, then go here and start it up.
http://ggcs.gigabyte.com/GIGABYTE-RMA-Login-User.aspx

I have contacted the store. They told me to go there and try to solve the situation with them. Hopefully a direct swap.

munroe

My second monitor died on me, working with only one monitor is the worst! :(

So while I was looking for a new monitor, I thought about upgrading my GPU as well. I've currently got a 560GTX installed, I was thinking on getting the Gigabyte 760GTX, however should I wait, what's the likely hood that the 800 series is released this year?

Cool!

Well basically I just got a new PC and I decided to try out if I could play Resident Evil 6 since I wanted to play the PC only stuff and the game works but it could be better... it averages at 25 frames per seconds but also dips under 20 which is meh. Just pretty much wondering if it's possible and if it's not it's no the end of the world since I'm not gonna use the PC for gaming basically. RE6 is pretty much the newest game I would wanna play on PC.

These are the settings I'm using to play the game and the min and recommended specs for the game

My PC specs: CPU, graphics & memory, says it's called acer aspire xc600 but the specs I'm finding online arent the same as I'm getting through CPU-Z

Question, I wound up getting a new mobo (Maximus VI Hero, woo) and so I'm gonna do a fresh install of Windows 7 (even though it boots up now). My question is that I have my steam games installed on a different HDD, when I wipe my main one to install the new OS, and I download Steam, will it still recognize the games on the other HDD? In other words, I don't have to re-download all the games I have?

TheD

The Detective
Cool!

Well basically I just got a new PC and I decided to try out if I could play Resident Evil 6 since I wanted to play the PC only stuff and the game works but it could be better... it averages at 25 frames per seconds but also dips under 20 which is meh. Just pretty much wondering if it's possible and if it's not it's no the end of the world since I'm not gonna use the PC for gaming basically. RE6 is pretty much the newest game I would wanna play on PC.

These are the settings I'm using to play the game and the min and recommended specs for the game

My PC specs: CPU, graphics & memory, says it's called acer aspire xc600 but the specs I'm finding online arent the same as I'm getting through CPU-Z

Download GPU-Z and look at what graphics card it says you have.

Cool!

Just get a new GPU. I assume the one in there is a 74xx or something of that nature. I would recommend the new 750 Ti as it uses nearly no power and I assume the PSU in your computer is fairly... bad.

TheD

The Detective
Just get a new GPU. I assume the one in there is a 74xx or something of that nature. I would recommend the new 750 Ti as it uses nearly no power and I assume the PSU in your computer is fairly... bad.

Bit of a problem with that, the case only supports half height cards.

oakenhild

(Sorry if this type of question gets asked a lot and is annoying...)

I currently have a PC with a Phenom II 945, and a Radeon HD 6850 1GB video card.

I want to upgrade the CPU and video card separately, one in the first half of the year, one in the second half.

Am I CPU constrained right now, or can the Phenom II 945 hold off a bit longer, and I could go with something like the GTX 770 now? Or, should I spring for the i5 4670k now and hold off on the video card until later?

I currently have a PC with a Phenom II 945, and a Radeon HD 6850 1GB video card.

I want to upgrade the CPU and video card separately, one in the first half of the year, one in the second half.

Am I CPU constrained right now, or can the Phenom II 945 hold off a bit longer, and I could go with something like the GTX 770 now? Or, should I spring for the i5 4670k now and hold off on the video card until later?
You're in a bad spot where both the CPU and the video card you're looking at will be refreshed this year. I would just pool my money until later in the year. If you had to do something now, I'd say the CPU/Motherboard/memory would be first.

oakenhild

You're in a bad spot where both the CPU and the video card you're looking at will be refreshed this year. I would just pool my money until later in the year. If you had to do something now, I'd say the CPU/Motherboard/memory would be first.

I guess I'm not completely sold on either of those models, the 770 or the 4670k, so that's not as much of a concern. Mostly, just trying to figure out if I was CPU or GPU bottlenecked, and I think you're probably right that the CPU is the best bet to start off with as I purchased that in 2009(!).

When you say they'll be refreshed...are there new previews, model numbers or roadmaps that one can check? It's tough being a PC gamer as it always feels bad when you buy something and it gets revved a month or two later! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom