• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to have all my parts in by tomorrow evening, I've got the case out of the box sitting here and I'm getting way excited to build.

I have a question about paypal for those that have bought Windows keys from reddit though: Do I need to fart around with adding funds first or is there an easier/faster way to do it?

Seanspeed

Banned
For my starter PC, can you guys give me a general idea of what my incoming PC can and can't run. I'm only gaming in 1080p.

i5 3350 and gtx 660
Don't think there's anything that cant run. You just might have to turn down settings here and there to get 60fps, moreso with newer games.

mkenyon

Banned
the sound was there prior to the fan swap out. i was trying to stop the sound
Sounds like you've replaced every moving part, my guess it's a random case vibration.
So I'm going to have all my parts in by tomorrow evening, I've got the case out of the box sitting here and I'm getting way excited to build.

I have a question about paypal for those that have bought Windows keys from reddit though: Do I need to fart around with adding funds first or is there an easier/faster way to do it?
You can link paypal to your checking account or credit card.

Gaz_RB

Yeah you just sign up for paypal, and use your credit card to pay through that. Basically an intermediary, completely safe.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I'm having gaming performance issues with my pc currently with games like ac4, bioshock, borderlands 2, the witch 2, tomb raider, need for speed (with 60fps fix), splinter cell blacklist can not get these games running a a constant 60fos, I always run into areas where the frame rate drops, textures, shadows, open areas, a lot of Npc, ambient settings seem to cause this.

My current build

AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asrock 990FX Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Crucial Sport Xt 32gb Kit(8x4) Ddr3 1600
WD 2TB Green & WD Care Extended Service Plan
Aerocool Strike-X One Mid-Tower Gaming Case Screwless Black Interior
XFX XXX Edition 850w 80+ Bronze Semi Modular PSU
Zotac GTX TITAN AMP! 6GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
LG GH24NSB0 24x Internal DVD Writer with SATA - Retail
Arctic Cooling F12 120mm Case Fan

Already got following advice

The 8350 is going to give you frame drops, it's not a gaming processor.

The Titan giving you otherwise really high framerates probably highlights those drops a lot more.

Bioshock Infinite is on UE3 if I'm not mistaken, which is very CPU demanding. Borderlands 2 as well.

Gaming performance example
I recorded this with shadow play, one of many areas of ac4 where frames drop occur. Not the only game I have issues with

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzGYwJvVNo

And here's one with the lowest possible settings
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jei509qLgEA

Question is will a new motherboard and CPU fix this, I'd hate to invest so money much only to get the same results. But at the same time I've had enough of these sort of performances.
If I do change my mono and CPU, will these help me achieve 60fps in most games including ac4
Motherboard http://www.ebuyer.com/507043-gigaby...0-hdmi-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc or http://www.ebuyer.com/507038-gigaby...-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc-force

CPU http://www.ebuyer.com/467641-cpu-core-i7-4770k-3-50ghz-lga1150-box-bx80646i74770k

Gaz_RB

I'm having gaming performance issues with my pc currently with games like ac4, bioshock, borderlands 2, the witch 2, tomb raider, need for speed (with 60fps fix), splinter cell blacklist can not get these games running a a constant 60fos, I always run into areas where the frame rate drops, textures, shadows, open areas, a lot of Npc, ambient settings seem to cause this.

My current build

I recorded this with shadow play, one of many areas of ac4 where frames drop occur. Not the only game I have issues with

Question is will a new motherboard and CPU fix this, I'd hate to invest so money much only to get the same results. But at the same time I've had enough of these sort of performances.
If I do change my mono and CPU, will these help me achieve 60fps in most games including ac4
Motherboard http://www.ebuyer.com/507043-gigaby...0-hdmi-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc or http://www.ebuyer.com/507038-gigaby...-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc-force

CPU http://www.ebuyer.com/467641-cpu-core-i7-4770k-3-50ghz-lga1150-box-bx80646i74770k
Getting rid of that current CPU and upgrading will indeed fix your problem. CPU is the bottleneck in your situation.

The only thing I would change would be to get a i5-4670 unless you really want that i7. But with that Titan, you're already sort of killing it. i7 is above an beyond what is needed right now, and the 4670 will last you quite a few years.

Either motherboard seems fine. But you'd be find going with the cheaper one.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, the 8350 struggles when CPU intensive situations are happening in games, giving it a stuttery feel. An overclocked 4670K would solve that. I can't give definite answers on benchmarks. However, this review uses a 3820 in the system, so the performance will be close, and slightly lower, than your system should be getting if you were to upgrade the processor and motherboard.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Yeah, the 8350 struggles when CPU intensive situations are happening in games, giving it a stuttery feel. An overclocked 4670K would solve that. I can't give definite answers on benchmarks. However, this review uses a 3820 in the system, so the performance will be close, and slightly lower, than your system should be getting if you were to upgrade the processor and motherboard.

I can't seem to over-clock, tried it with the 8350 got up to 4.2ghz and it got very unstable. Would I need to oc the i5 or i7 to get the performance I want?

Well I bought the cheaper mb, hope I don't regret it.

mkenyon

Banned
I can't seem to over-clock, tried it with the 8350 got up to 4.2ghz and it got very unstable. Would I need to oc the i5 or i7 to get the performance I want?

Well I bought the cheaper mb, hope I don't regret it.
4670K, and you will want to OC it. It's a lot easier to do with Intel.

The major difference between the two motherboards is the inclusion of a PLX chip on the pricier one. That would be of zero benefit to you, so you made the right choice there.

Been thinking of upgrading to an 8350 from a 6300. Would I see significant gains, or would it be a waste of money? It's paired with an HD 7950 3gb and 16 gigs of ram.

mkenyon

Banned
I'd need to get an aftermarket cooler most likely. If the gains aren't there then I'd rather not, and just save the money. So you think there is a bottleneck?
It entirely depends on the game/engine in question. Multiplayer games, Source, UE3, Far Cry 3, some other stuff, for sure. Games like Crysis, Metro, and more will not be bottlenecked at all.

For the interim, I'd definitely suggest getting a cooler and OC'ing it. Then start saving your pennies for a nice CPU/Mobo upgrade when your budget allows, or if you're just not happy with your performance.

I mean, if things are running to your liking, no sense in upgrading.

It entirely depends on the game/engine in question. Multiplayer games, Source, UE3, Far Cry 3, some other stuff, for sure. Games like Crysis, Metro, and more will not be bottlenecked at all.

For the interim, I'd definitely suggest getting a cooler and OC'ing it. Then start saving your pennies for a nice CPU/Mobo upgrade when your budget allows, or if you're just not happy with your performance.

I mean, if things are running to your liking, no sense in upgrading.

Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll start saving up then. I'd like some more Skyrim performance and I think a better cpu would help. Probably going to get an i5 3570K.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the tips. Guess I'll start saving up then. I'd like some more Skyrim performance and I think a better cpu would help. Probably going to get an i5 3570K.
Skyrim would most definitely benefit. You could go to even something like an i3 and see a good benefit.

skyrim-fps.gif

skyrim-99th.gif

skyrim-latency.gif

skyrim-beyond-16.gif

ACE 1991

What program(s) do you guys use for monitoring GPU/CPU temps? I want something clean and simple that will display this information in the system tray.

bro1

Banned

My current build

I would sell your mobo, CPU, and even gpu. Get a 4670k, a decent mobo and gtx 780ti. I get 60+ FPS in all of those games with a 3570k and gtx 770 in sli

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've decided on this build. Any suggestions/tips?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($7.44 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($160.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.04 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1508.68

I've decided on this build. Any suggestions/tips?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($359.79 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.50 @ DirectCanada)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($7.44 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($179.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($160.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ NCIX)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($28.04 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1508.68

Ditch the Arctic Silver 5. Near universal opinion is that it's no longer the solid performer it was a decade ago. Honestly most recommendations nowadays are just to stick with stock thermals on whatever cooling you're getting, but if your cooling solution is naked and you need it, you might as well get the best. AS5 typically performs in the middle of the pack or towards the back.

For 50% more on the SSD you can get a 100% increase in storage space by moving to the Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB.

Speevy

Banned
Don't think there's anything that cant run. You just might have to turn down settings here and there to get 60fps, moreso with newer games.

Cool deal. Thanks. Liquid set me up with a very nice motherboard which appears to have some good upgrade options.

I'll probably wait a couple of years and then spring for one of the better cards when they're cheaper.

Pulled the trigger on my components. I'll be building this Saturday. I've never done a build where I didn't have to send back a memory stick. We'll see if this time I get lucky (or not unlucky).

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31m4a
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31m4a/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/31m4a/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.16 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($197.26 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($175.39 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($299.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($184.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1909.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-27 21:34 EST-0500)

Just got the Rival today (replacing the Sensei).

Gotta say, immediately I noticed how much better the ergonomics are. Fits so much better into my hand. Really dig it thus far!

The rubber grip along the sides will take a little bit to get used to. I'm just used to having smooth rubber on my mice is all. For those who have a Rival, do the rubber bits become worn down after extended use at all?

Also, I noticed the logo LED's colors don't exactly match the color that's on my screen. It's slightly off probably because of the mouse casing over the light. Still, it's pretty rad and it was super easy to configure.

So far, definitely impressed with this mouse. I'll have to do some serious gaming with it later to really test it out. :)

just upgraded to a 760 from a 570... doesn't seem to be working properly

I installed it, turned on my PC, I didn't install the drivers correctly as they seemed to just overwrite the original ones, so I re installed them (via safe mode), and games just don't appear to want to play

COD:Ghosts boots into a small windowed box and remains black, one point, it was filled with the ingame menu, and when I pressed into it, it went into full screen and remained black (sound continued to play)

bf4 is neverending loading screen

CS:GO booted fine..

so what the hell is going on

b0bbyJ03

Im, new to the PC game (in the middle of building m first, just waiting for the video card to be delivered and its done) but i've noticed people complaining about bit mining driving up VG card prices... Before this whole craze, where new card prices inflated when they came out at all, or is this a new thing? i wanted the 280x but the prices where insane so i decided against it.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I snagged a 4GB PNY GTX 770 from TigerDirect for $330 after rebate. Seemed like a decent deal so what the heck. Wouldn't mind a monitor upgrade. Are there any of these LightBoost/GSync monitors in a 16:10 flavor? Is 16:10 just dead? By far my preferred aspect ratio, and would be nice to have a monitor to fit in with my existing monitors, I have a 3x1900x1200 setup right now.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ditch the Arctic Silver 5. Near universal opinion is that it's no longer the solid performer it was a decade ago. Honestly most recommendations nowadays are just to stick with stock thermals on whatever cooling you're getting, but if your cooling solution is naked and you need it, you might as well get the best. AS5 typically performs in the middle of the pack or towards the back.

For 50% more on the SSD you can get a 100% increase in storage space by moving to the Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB.

Removed the thermal paste. Didn't realize Intel includes thermal paste with the CPU. As for the SSD,120GB SSD is good enough for me, I'll really only use it for the OS and a few of my favorite games.

The case has two fans pre-installed. I'm thinking of putting one more at the top. Between 1 200mm or 2 120mm fans, which one would be the better alternative?

NoRéN;102461060 said:
Crysis 3 is crazy demanding! What kind of frames you getting?

Depends on the settings. Maxed? ~20 if I'm lucky depending. I was expecting everything to run at 60FPS with everything maxed. What sort of rig would I need to be running in order to do that?

I'd have to turn quality settings down too far for me to be happy in order to achieve 60FPS.

This is going to seem like a really dumb question but I'm looking to get some case fans for my Corsair 200. I noticed when I was putting it together that the fans built into the case have fewer pins than the inputs on my motherboard. I plugged them in anyway and they seem to be working but is this an issue I need to concern myself with? I'm using a Corsair 200R. Going to buy a couple extra case fans. I have mounts on the top, side, and bottom of the case I can put them. Where do you think is most important to put a couple extra fans?

TekGryphon is right.

IMO, if you want thermal paste over stock paste I would get ARCTIC MX-4, or even MX-2 if it's around $5.00. I like them because they are non conductive and have no curing period. So it's kind of idiot proof, and it actually works well.

NoRéN

Depends on the settings. Maxed? ~20 if I'm lucky depending. I was expecting everything to run at 60FPS with everything maxed. What sort of rig would I need to be running in order to do that?

I'd have to turn quality settings down too far for me to be happy in order to achieve 60FPS.

This is going to seem like a really dumb question but I'm looking to get some case fans for my Corsair 200. I noticed when I was putting it together that the fans built into the case have fewer pins than the inputs on my motherboard. I plugged them in anyway and they seem to be working but is this an issue I need to concern myself with? I'm using a Corsair 200R. Going to buy a couple extra case fans. I have mounts on the top, side, and bottom of the case I can put them. Where do you think is most important to put a couple extra fans?
Crysis 3 is an exception to the norm. But, seeing as you have the same CPU I have, that performance dip seems off.

I also have the corsair 200r case. I m guessing you are referring to the 3 pin connector on the fan when your mono has 4 pin? The fourth pin allows for fan speed control I think. That's the only difference.

One fan on the side should serve well. Make sure to get a filter for it.

What sort of gaming performance can I realistically expect from my setup of 760 2GB and i7-4770K?

Good to great?

It all depends on what you want. If you want max settings@60fps you'll probably be disappointed, that said you could probably lower settings such as AA and see significant frame-rate increases and manage to have mostly high/max settings. If you want a ton of AA 30+fps is probably more realistic. But for the money, it's a damn good card.

IMACOMPUTA

Doing a build for a friend and need to get this closer to $600.
Any suggestions?
I don't feel right buying a dual core (i3).. Am I being dumb?
This guy hasn't gamed on PC very much. He'll be playing in 1080p.
Interested in mainly titanfall and maybe cod.
It would be great to somehow get an ssd in there..
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus H81I-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($76.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $730.22
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 03:01 EST-0500)

GHG

Any suggestions?

Try and hunt down an AMD r7 265 if you can instead of the 660:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R7_265_Dual-X/

Will give similar performance and should be a bit cheaper. Plus all of the 2gb frame buffer is usable without consequence. I wouldn't recommend getting a 660 these days unless you can find a cheap 3gb version.

Other than that, can't see an obvious way of getting the price down further without dropping to an i3.

NoRéN;102590288 said:
Crysis 3 is an exception to the norm. But, seeing as you have the same CPU I have, that performance dip seems off.

I also have the corsair 200r case. I m guessing you are referring to the 3 pin connector on the fan when your mono has 4 pin? The fourth pin allows for fan speed control I think. That's the only difference.

One fan on the side should serve well. Make sure to get a filter for it.

Dip seems off hmm? With what type of anti-aliasing? MSAA x 8? I admittedly don't know much about that sort of thing. Can anyone explain or know where I can go to have explained a comprehensive rundown of the sorts of graphics settings one finds in modern PC games and the effects it has on visual quality and performance?

LordAlu

Any suggestions?
There's no point in getting a 4670K without also getting a Z87 motherboard
Any reason you've gone ITX? It would be cheaper to go for a normal-sized system:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $649.92
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-28 03:35 EST-0500)

You'd be nearer $700 with an ITX case like the Cooler Master Elite 130 and a suitable motherboard like the Asus H87I-Plus, still $100 over. Also, you're not going to get an SSD in there without more compromise, like dropping to an i3 processor.

Seanspeed

Banned

Crysis 3 looks spectacular even at medium settings.

What CPU should I opt for out of these two? There is only a few £££'s difference in price.

Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz, or

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom