• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Windows 8 key off someone at r/softwareswap for $19

Anyone else bought something over there? How do they get keys for so cheap?

Even if it turns out to not be legit down the line, I think 19 bucks is worth the risk.

I have read a few members that have done this without any problems. I will be getting Windows this way (soon hopefully) once I finally nail down specs for my stupid-frivolous-don't-need-two-gaming-pcs-in-the-same-house build.

coughlanio

Even if it turns out to not be legit down the line, I think 19 bucks is worth the risk.

People probably selling the keys from their MSDN subscription?

LCGeek

formerly sane

This is my dilema I need to get a few legit keys but have no clue where to begin.

Rather I need to get about 2-4 keys and would like to know how to take an 8 key and turn it in to 8.1 installation. Please help me pc gaf.

Gaz_RB

This is my dilema I need to get a few legit keys but have no clue where to begin.

Rather I need to get about 2-4 keys and would like to know how to take an 8 key and turn it in to 8.1 installation. Please help me pc gaf.
You can easily update 8 to 8.1 at no fee once you have 8 installed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/comments/1z11cr/h_windows_7_8_81_all_versions_microsoft_office/

I got mine from this guy. Paypaled him 19 bucks, and had the key within the hour. Key worked without an issue, and I think he has a lot. I bet you could ask him for 4 no problem.

i thought it was sketch at first but I've done some more digging and it seems they have a reliability system set up. The guy I bought from has 33 confirmed trades. it's sort of like the buy/sell/trade thread in Community.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

every year, students in compsci/engineering get windows keys for free. ironically, a lot of them stick to linux.

kris.

Banned
hey guys, so i just finished building my first pc a few weeks ago.

specs
i5-4670k (not OC'd with a stock heatsink)
EVGA GTX 760 4gb w/ ACX
8gb g.skill ripjaw ram
550w seasonic psu
and a corsair 200r case

my question is this: when i'm playing newer games (bioshock infinite, modded skyrim, ACIV, etc), my GPU temps will get up to like upper 70s/lower 80s which imagine cannot be good whatsoever. and so far i only have the two stock case fans that came with the case. will more fans help with cooling or am i just pushing the GPU a little too hard and need to step back on settings?

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, so I bought the UDH4 and the H60. Problem is, I can't figure out where the pump's connector should go. A couple of Google searches give me mixed results. I have a 3 pin connection labeled SYS_FAN4 and a 4 pin connection labeled CPU_OPT. The cable itself is 3 pin, however, the manual states that CPU_OPT is for connecting water pumps. I've also read that the pump needs consistent power.

Anyone got any ideas?
If possible, use a molex adapter. If you don't have one, then it doesn't matter which header you use as long as you make sure it stays at 100% in BIOS. You can control fan speed in BIOS, and you'll just want to stick it at 100% for the specific header you end up using.

specs
EVGA GTX 760 4gb w/ ACX
8gb g.skill ripjaw ram
550w seasonic psu
and a corsair 200r case

my question is this: when i'm playing newer games (bioshock infinite, modded skyrim, ACIV, etc), my GPU temps will get up to like upper 70s/lower 80s which imagine cannot be good whatsoever. and so far i only have the two stock case fans that came with the case. will more fans help with cooling or am i just pushing the GPU a little too hard and need to step back on settings?
Temp is totally normal. You can increase fan speed on the GPU if you want it to be cooler.

My 660 is growing long in the tooth, so I ordered a 2nd 660 to sli. Would have probably went with a 280x, if not for the bitcoin gouging.

And it took me forever to figure out that the factory oc was the culprit behind all my crashing problems. Took the numbers down to reference speed, and not the first crash since.

kennah

Mantle has nothing to do with CPUs. It's GPU only.

An i5 in the same price range would be as fast or faster and offer a better upgrade path.

Mantle has nothing to do with CPUs. It's GPU only.

An i5 in the same price range would be as fast or faster and offer a better upgrade path.

Um... Mantle is designed to limit bottlenecking from the CPU... It makes AMD GPUs work better with AMD CPUs (~20-30% increase in FPS)and gives a ~10% boost when using intel CPUs.

kennah

Um... Mantle is designed to limit bottlenecking from the CPU... It makes AMD GPUs work better with AMD CPUs (~20-30% increase in FPS)and gives a ~10% boost when using intel CPUs.
It makes amd gpus work better with weak cpus or in multi gpu situations where the cpu is the bottle neck. Doesn't matter which cpu you use.

It makes amd gpus work better with weak cpus or in multi gpu situations where the cpu is the bottle neck. Doesn't matter which cpu you use.

I just figured that AMD would write an API that gave preference to their own processors.

The i5 in that power range is a bit more expensive, but I get what you're saying.
I'd honestly rather try my hand at an AMD build, though.

Gaz_RB

I just figured that AMD would write an API that gave preference to their own processors.

The i5 in that power range is a bit more expensive, but I get what you're saying.
I'd honestly rather try my hand at an AMD build, though.

I guess if you've decided to go with an AMD build, that's fine, but the i5-4670K is about the same price right now if you're near a Microcenter, and only 20 bucks more on amazon.

That AMD has a lot of cores, but most games won't use all of them.

I guess if you've decided to go with an AMD build, that's fine, but the i5-4670K is about the same price right now if you're near a Microcenter, and only 20 bucks more on amazon.

That AMD has a lot of cores, but most games won't use all of them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once developers start porting games designed from the ground up with the PS4 and Xbox One in mind those cores will be put to use. This build is going to be my 3rd Party Port Box.

mkenyon

Banned
I have a sneaking suspicion that once developers start porting games designed from the ground up with the PS4 and Xbox One in mind those cores will be put to use. This build is going to be my 3rd Party Port Box.
Nope.

The thing is, cores don't really matter all that much. A single core from an overclocked i5 is about on par with the entire CPU in the PS4 and XBO. Where you will see improved performance is in higher IPC. When games chug or stutter, that's the failing of low IPC a lot of the time, which AMD is very guilty of.

Mantle, to a large extent, it made to combat this issue with low IPC, which is why you see such a huge performance gain with AMD processors. It's because they're not great (in a lot of cases, flat out suck) as gaming processors to begin with.

Gaz_RB

You seem pretty set with AMD. I don't know if it's the best use of your money in that price range, but I guess it's not necessarily a mistake.

Stubo

Nothing AMD have on the market touches the 4670k at the moment for gaming purposes.

If you're set on an AMD build that's fine, but there is a reason why so many people will try to advise against it.

Parts for my new build arrive tomorrow, just in time for the weekend.....Woohoo!

FX8350 CPU
Sapphire 7970 GPU
16GB Crucial DDR3
Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
Corsair RM750 PSU
Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD
Noctua NH L12 Cooler
Fractal Node 605 Case

So excited.

mkenyon

Banned
#intelfanboys
Hey, my HTPC is an A8 APU, and I just built three new workstations at the office here with Kaveri.

Though I know you know this, to folks who think people might have an agenda it's as simple as this: The advice in this thread is almost always centered around what's the best thing to get for a Gaming PC.

If AMD had the best value gaming processor around (Kaveri Athlon, where art thou?) then you'd see very different advice in this thread.
Parts for my new build arrive tomorrow, just in time for the weekend.....Woohoo!

FX8350 CPU
Sapphire 7970 GPU
16GB Crucial DDR3
Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
Corsair RM750 PSU
Corsair Force GS 128GB SSD
Noctua NH L12 Cooler
Fractal Node 605 Case

So excited.
I don't intend to be a debbie downer, but you should have consulted with those parts. Too late to send back for a refund?

Ieu

Alright, so I bought the UDH4 and the H60. Problem is, I can't figure out where the pump's connector should go. A couple of Google searches give me mixed results. I have a 3 pin connection labeled SYS_FAN4 and a 4 pin connection labeled CPU_OPT. The cable itself is 3 pin, however, the manual states that CPU_OPT is for connecting water pumps. I've also read that the pump needs consistent power.

Anyone got any ideas?

CPU_OPT is the correct header.

The difference between a 3 pin and 4 pin fan header is that the extra wire is used for a form of power control called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). In closed loop systems the water pump is meant to run at full power at all times so having that fourth pin is wasteful.

In any case mkenyon is right - it's safer to plug the pump straight in to the power supply as then you don't have to worry about BIOS settings not telling CPU_OPT to run at full speed as it should.

Was it only the key? I'm looking to do the same. But I need the ISO and the key.

mkenyon

Banned
I inherited the CPU and GPU....

I'm expecting everything to play at Max settings at 1080p?
Ahhh, that's a great price then :p

Certain MP games might stutter a bit, possibly Borderlands 2, Skyrim, a few others. Generally it'll be very good performance though.
Was it only the key? I'm looking to do the same. But I need the ISO and the key.
The ISO is available for free. Check out the OP for the Windows installation guide.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Ok, rather than go for r9 270/270x I decided to say fuck it and went for a 280x. Now I want to upgrade my ram as well and need some more help please.

My mobo is a p8z68-v pro, CPU is I5 2500k and I'm looking at 8GB Corsair Vengeance or possibly 16GB. Is this a good pick? So many similar options available I don't know what is best.

Cheers GAF

BlueMagic

Okay GAF, been out of the VGA cards loop for a while now and I'm looking for an update. My PC consists of an i5 3570, an ASRock z77 Pro 3, 4GB RAM and an amd 5670 (it was used for light gaming mostly, so it was fine, but I'm looking for something better now).
An important detail here is my PSU, which is currently a Satellite 600w. Not sure about how decent it is, but my guess is that I'd have to be looking for a not so power-demanding card. What's a decent pick? I'm hearing the new nvidia ones are great, both in performance and power consumption, (which I'm not sure have come out yet), but they surely will be a bitch to find where I live, so I'm better off with 'older' (ie, at least a couple months old) releases.

EDIT: A good thing to do also would probably be to update my RAM. Should I discard my current RAM sitcks?

I am going with an intel i5 4670k, z87 Asus motherboard (costs $150), 8 gigs of ram, and a $30 heatsink. I already have the case, 750 watt PSU and a 7970.

I am all set right? I decided not to buy a SSD atm, I will just roll with a HDD and upgrade later

appaws

Banned
Okay GAF, been out of the VGA cards loop for a while now and I'm looking for an update. My PC consists of an i5 3570, an ASRock z77 Pro 3, 4GB RAM and an amd 5670 (it was used for light gaming mostly, so it was fine, but I'm looking for something better now).
An important detail here is my PSU, which is currently a Satellite 600w. Not sure about how decent it is, but my guess is that I'd have to be looking for a not so power-demanding card. What's a decent pick? I'm hearing the new nvidia ones are great, both in performance and power consumption, (which I'm not sure have come out yet), but they surely will be a bitch to find where I live, so I'm better off with 'older' (ie, at least a couple months old) releases.

EDIT: A good thing to do also would probably be to update my RAM. Should I discard my current RAM sitcks?

Where are you and what is your budget, and what resolution monitor/tv will you be gaming on?

BlueMagic

Where are you and what is your budget, and what resolution monitor/tv will you be gaming on?

Money is not really a problem (though I'm not looking for the best card out there, definitely, just a balanced card which is not a problem for my PSU and can run most games at max settings, if possible). Current resolution is 1680x1050 and it's probably gonna stay that way for many months. I'm from Argentina so availability is bad (and some weeks ago it became even worse because of some crazy importing laws that passed).

every year, students in compsci/engineering get windows keys for free. ironically, a lot of them stick to linux.
Totally. I used to get free keys when I was taking computer science classes. But the funny part is that the entire CS lab ran on Linux and most courses required you to have Linux or the very least a dual boot solution if you intended to use your own computer for schoolwork. I spent 0% of my time in Windows.

bro1

Banned

specs
EVGA GTX 760 4gb w/ ACX
8gb g.skill ripjaw ram
550w seasonic psu
and a corsair 200r case

Those temps are fine. No worries at all.

Ahhh, that's a great price then :p

Certain MP games might stutter a bit, possibly Borderlands 2, Skyrim, a few others. Generally it'll be very good performance though.

Thing is I am so damn excited about getting into PC gaming at the moment - this is coming from playing on consoles for 25 years. I think its Steam, the disappointment of the Wii U and learning over the past 10 years how PCs work. I've built a home network of PCs over the past couple of years to service the families TVs and related media needs via windows and mediaportal. This new machine is the crowning glory taking centrepiece in the front room and will provide TV and Media along with a Steam account for the games.

First game to be downloaded. RE4 Ultimate HD edition.

appaws

Banned
Money is not really a problem (though I'm not looking for the best card out there, definitely, just a balanced card which is not a problem for my PSU and can run most games at max settings, if possible). Current resolution is 1680x1050 and it's probably gonna stay that way for many months. I'm from Argentina so availability is bad (and some weeks ago it became even worse because of some crazy importing laws that passed).

My favorite restaurant is an Argentine place, amazing food. I think I would like to visit your country some day just based on that. Just thinking about their chorizo (different from mexican chorizo) and sweetbreads makes my mouth water....

I am not sure how prices are down there, but I would think something like a 760 would be good. It will certainly have no problems at that resolution, and will still be good if you go up to a 1080p monitor or an hdtv. It's probably the sweet spot for price/performance right now. It's $250 in the US.

But, maybe Argentina may have been spared the coin mining insanity. If they are at around their msrp prices, then the AMD cards in that price range are awesome choices as well. An r9 280x will certainly run anything at that resolution beautifully....and still excel if you move up in resolution at some point. That card is essentially the same as an HD7970....so if maybe you can get a deal on one of those down there that would be great too.

bro1

Banned
My 660 is growing long in the tooth, so I ordered a 2nd 660 to sli. Would have probably went with a 280x, if not for the bitcoin gouging.

And it took me forever to figure out that the factory oc was the culprit behind all my crashing problems. Took the numbers down to reference speed, and not the first crash since.
What kind of PSU do you have? I had 660's in SLi about a year ago. Didn't like them too much as I had several game issues. Turned out to be my PSU. Now rocking 770s in SLi

Speevy

Banned
For my starter PC, can you guys give me a general idea of what my incoming PC can and can't run. I'm only gaming in 1080p.

i5 3350 and gtx 660

bro1

Banned
I can't figure out what this slight knock/rattle is in my system. I've replaced all of my fans with notua NF-F12 fans, I've swapped out the GPU and PSU, and I only have SSDs. Still, every now and then I hear this slight noise. Either it's the tell tale heart or there is something I am missing.

Sendari

Neo Member
What does PCGAF think about the BenQ XL2411T vs the Asus VG248QE ?

I am looking for a new 24" gaming monitor lightboost ready

mkenyon

Banned
What does PCGAF think about the BenQ XL2411T vs the Asus VG248QE ?

I am looking for a new 24" gaming monitor lightboost ready
VG248QE for sure. G-Sync compatible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720113
I can't figure out what this slight knock/rattle is in my system. I've replaced all of my fans with notua NF-F12 fans, I've swapped out the GPU and PSU, and I only have SSDs. Still, every now and then I hear this slight noise. Either it's the tell tale heart or there is something I am missing.
It might be the NF-F12's. Those are designed for heatsink duty and can make weird vibrations when not restricted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom