• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Ugh forgot about the lack of soldered heatspreaders yeah...
Definitely an edge the enthusiast platforms have...
I wish Intel would use solder for at least the K unlocked models. It makes such a difference in terms of heat dissipation :(((
That + tiny die + VRM on die = one hot proc.

McBryBry

So, I'm new to this whole PC thing, having been a console gamer for years. I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I'm seeing the AMD FX9370 is around the same price as the intel i5 4670K model. From what's listed, it would seem the AMD is better at 8 cores and a 1 GHz faster frequency. A friend of mine is a huge AMD fan who says exactly this. Tell me GAF, why should I go Intel?

So, I'm new to this whole PC thing, having been a console gamer for years. I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I'm seeing the AMD FX9370 is around the same price as the intel i5 4670K model. From what's listed, it would seem the AMD is better at 8 cores and a 1 GHz faster frequency. A friend of mine is a huge AMD fan who says exactly this. Tell me GAF, why should I go Intel?

Intel CPUs run laps around AMD ones per unit of clock. An i5 is usually much better than an AMD chip in the same bracket, altho more expensive too. Look up reviews and benchmarks to see if this one is better than the AMD at the same price.

mkenyon

Banned
Run the other way.

The low IPC on the FX processors makes them really bad for gaming. Really, really, bad. They're awesome multimedia creation processors though. For encoding and such things, the 8350 is basically on par with the 3770K.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Intel CPUs run laps around AMD ones per unit of clock. An i5 is usually much better than an AMD chip in the same bracket, altho more expensive too. Look up reviews and benchmarks to see if this one is better than the AMD at the same price.

Not to mention the power requirement difference between the two.

FX 9370 at 220w vs. i5 4670k at 84w

My computer will be arriving tomorrow morning with any luck, and I'll be able to show you Liquidmetal14's work.

Excite!

Bii

My computer will be arriving tomorrow morning with any luck, and I'll be able to show you Liquidmetal14's work.

Aww yeah! Pics pls k thnx

OC'd my 4670k to 4.0GHz with just the stock voltage and highest temp on the first core was 70C. Good enough for me. Played Diablo III, max everything at 1440p (not a really demanding game but still) and it ran so smooth even with all the action/enemies on screen.

Miguel81

Run the other way.

The low IPC on the FX processors makes them really bad for gaming. Really, really, bad. They're awesome multimedia creation processors though. For encoding and such things, the 8350 is basically on par with the 3770K.

Hyperbole of the tallest order. FX chips will run most games just fine. They're not good for emulators like Dolphin, but fine for games.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend Intel chips to anyone looking to build. However, if you get an FX it's not like you gonna be playing slideshows.

sol_bad

Hey fellow GAFers.

I was wondering what the general consensus is on the Sound Blaster Z and ZX.

I have an Onkyo A/V receiver, can't remember what model it is, bought it a few years ago. My speakers are all Paradigm models, front speakers a ParadigmMonitor 9's and my subwoofer is an Ultracube 10.

I used to use the Sound Blaster X-fi branded card by the Fatality guy, the quality was very nice but unfortunately it was a PCI based card. I had to ditch it once I built a new PC.

For the past years or so I have been traveling along with onboard audio, I have it hooked to my A/V receiver by analogue RCA cables. I noticed the Sound Blaster Z and ZX have the RCA analogue outputs but the ZXR does not.
Are the Z and ZX considered good sound cards these days or are there better cards in the same price range?
Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated.

DarkFlow

Banned

If you get one, make sure you have fire insurance on your home.

McBryBry

My friend, the big programmer guys he knows, and all of his buddies all say the AMD processor is the better choice. Also, benchmarks are labeling it the better processor. However, I trust the GAF, so any more words on it?

DarkFlow

Banned
My friend, the big programmer guys he knows, and all of his buddies all say the AMD processor is the better choice. Also, benchmarks are labeling it the better processor. However, I trust the GAF, so any more words on it?

If you get it, you NEED good water cooling. It runs super hot, and sucks 220W of power before overclocking. You seem to have a lot of friends who run with AMD so it might be more helpful for you since you know a bunch who also use them.

Tablo

Intel is a much much better choice for gaming among other things, not sure what your friends are on. Assuming you would be getting a 4670K or 4770K instead of the AMD part.
AM3+ is an ancient chipset at this point too, Z87 is great.

How did that predicament for Mad turn out?

still sucks hardcore that the cpu cooler leaked :(

also AMD :(

when will you guys have good processors again to compete so i can get some competition and good deals

so i know ive been putting off, but i'm pretty sure ill pick up a new gpu this year even if nvidia decides to hold off.

I forget, if I want to max stuff out on 1440p, 780 and amd equiv is pretty much the minimum right?

The deed is done. The GPU is actually a r7 265, but they didn't have it in their parts database yet.

(Click to enlarge)

The total came to $962.88. Does this seem like a solid sub 1K gaming build?

Tablo

so i know ive been putting off, but i'm pretty sure ill pick up a new gpu this year even if nvidia decides to hold off.

I forget, if I want to max stuff out on 1440p, 780 and amd equiv is pretty much the minimum right?

If not a 780 ti lol... Again maxing out will depend on settings and the game itself.

KTT

The deed is done. The GPU is actually a r7 265, but they didn't have it in their parts database yet.

The total came to $962.88. Does this seem like a solid sub 1K gaming build?

I came out with a similar build.

CPU: 4670K - $180
Cooler: - Zalman Optima - $10
Mobo: ASUS Z87-A - $85
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600 - $48
GPU: AMD R7 265 - $150
PSU: XFX 550W Bronze - $25
Case: Corsair 200R - $20

Total - $518

Reusing:
1TB HDD, Toshiba 240GB SSD, 24" 1080p, 27" 1080p, Logitech G5 mouse, K65 mechanical keyboard ($65)

knitoe

To even think about max out at 1440p @ 60fps, you will need to start with a SLI or CF setup. Even then, SLI 780ti, currently the fastest cards, can't max out in certain games.

265 wont last well in 3 years... Dont skimp out on the gpu.

Why not? Maybe I misunderstood, but this and the 760Ti are comparable to the new Console GPUs, and if those set the standards I should be able to run anything coming out on those platforms at least on Medium with a good frame rate.

I came out with a similar build.

CPU: 4670K - $180
Cooler: - Zalman Optima - $10
Mobo: ASUS Z87-A - $85
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600 - $48
GPU: AMD R7 265 - $150
PSU: XFX 550W Bronze - $25
Case: Corsair 200R - $20

Total - $518

Reusing:
1TB HDD, Toshiba 240GB SSD, 24" 1080p, 27" 1080p, Logitech G5 mouse, K65 mechanical keyboard ($65)

Have you been holding onto those parts? Everything you listed is significantly lower than it is on PC Part Picker.

KTT

Have you been holding onto those parts? Everything you listed is significantly lower than it is on PC Part Picker.

Ordered everything from Feb 20 - Feb 27... just kept my eyes peeled for deals. Didn't get any used stuff. Last thing I ordered was the 265 yesterday.

Alright GAF, so I'm slowly starting to gather components for a new gaming PC and want your help in telling me if I am making the right choices.

I have a W8.1 license and I've already bought a Cooler Master HAF-X case which will be delivered to me on Saturday and I will purchase the following components in the next couple of months (depending on when I can afford them). I am aiming for a EVGA 780 Ti GPU (which I hope I will be able to pick up for cheap during a business trip to the US late in March or early in April - again, depending on my funds) and I have not decided on a good monitor yet, but it's not a concern for now. Keyboard, mouse, HDD and sound card can also wait; I can use old/cheap peripherals for starters and can wait them out for a couple of months.

So, with this in mind (I have a Windows license, will pick a GPU and a monitor soon-ish), are the following components good enough for the computer to turn on and function normally? Am I forgetting something?

Wireless adapter: Asus PCE-N15
Power Supply: 650W or 750W for a 780 Ti?
DVD drive
CPU cooler: Radiator size? Style name? I am thinking 120mm and H60, is it good enough?
CPU, i7 4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero
16GB RAM
Samsung 840 Series Pro SSD

Bumping from the previous page, any comments regarding the power supply and the CPU cooler?

GAF I am in need of help for my thesis show in a month.

I programmed my work in GameMaker and want one or two PCs to be running the program, but don't want to spend too much. Sub $200 (preferably sub $150) is what I am looking for and soemthing that won't chug what I made (no 3D graphics but semi alot to process at some points).

Any help? I've looked at NewEgg but not sure if that is the best place to find what I need for now.

huge thanks to any help as it'll save money and make a thesis show way better :)

Ashes

Banned
Why not? Maybe I misunderstood, but this and the 760Ti are comparable to the new Console GPUs, and if those set the standards I should be able to run anything coming out on those platforms at least on Medium with a good frame rate.

But you could do much much better with a more balanced build right now. Your gpu is roughly in the same ball park as the budget build gpu in the op.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hyperbole of the tallest order. FX chips will run most games just fine. They're not good for emulators like Dolphin, but fine for games.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I'd recommend Intel chips to anyone looking to build. However, if you get an FX it's not like you gonna be playing slideshows.
He's just passionate and knows about frame latency and how it affects competitive shooters at 120Hz.

Console games are better optimized and many of them run on lower than 1080P, which is probably not something you want to do. Also many of the console games will have framerate issues which will probably be even worse on a similarly specced PC.

The main thing is the GPU is just way too underpowered compared to the rest of the build. I get why you want to do it, but 3-4 years is a long time of wasted power.

I programmed my work in GameMaker and want one or two PCs to be running the program, but don't want to spend too much. Sub $200 (preferably sub $150) is what I am looking for and soemthing that won't chug what I made (no 3D graphics but semi alot to process at some points).

Any help? I've looked at NewEgg but not sure if that is the best place to find what I need for now.

huge thanks to any help as it'll save money and make a thesis show way better :)

You can't really build a new PC with that. You can't buy older components for much lower prices new. Try borrowing something or find something used. That or go really cheap by going linux on an USB stick or something and maybe not even use a case and then use the dedicated GPU on an AMD processor. Even then you are probably still above the budget.

Akai__

Hey guys, it's been a while.

I have a small problem, that bugs me. Yesterday, I reset my Gigabyte Z87X-OC to standard settings in the UEFI and since then, my PC starts on Mouse double click. I have disabled "Wake on LAN", "Wake on Mouse" and "Wake on Keyboard", but it's still happening. When I click on the Mouse once, the Mouse starts to glow, too. The mouse is a Roccat Kone[+] btw.

Am I missing something? My manual didn't gave away, what possibly could be wrong. I have a feeling, that the USB ports are always on, but I haven't found a setting, where I can disable that feature.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know if this will be able to play your game, but this is as close to $200 I could get without dropping to an A4 or reducing RAM.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/35Ebv
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/35Ebv/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/35Ebv/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.18 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI A88XM-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($58.50 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($38.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital AV 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($24.44 @ Amazon)
Case: Xion XON-720P_RD MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $211.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-07 07:32 EST-0500)

Pachimari

I got my RMA acccepted from the store I bought all of my PC parts from, and they'll replace the Corsair H60 as soon as I have sent the broken one in.

Hopefully my other parts aren't broken then.

While I wait for a new water cooler, can I eventually check if the other parts work now?

Console games are better optimized and many of them run on lower than 1080P, which is probably not something you want to do. Also many of the console games will have framerate issues which will probably be even worse on a similarly specced PC.

The main thing is the GPU is just way too underpowered compared to the rest of the build. I get why you want to do it, but 3-4 years is a long time of wasted power.

But you could do much much better with a more balanced build right now. Your gpu is roughly in the same ball park as the budget build gpu in the op.

Alright. I tried basing it off of the "Great" build in the OP and after factoring in the bigger SSD and whatnot it seemed to match.

Would a GTX 760 suffice as a replacement? What would you guys recommend. Also, since the 265 has already shipped, if anyone wants one for retail price let me know.

I got my RMA acccepted from the store I bought all of my PC parts from, and they'll replace the Corsair H60 as soon as I have sent the broken one in.

Hopefully my other parts aren't broken then.

While I wait for a new water cooler, can I eventually check if the other parts work now?

I don't know your previous posts. But if you only need a new water cooler you can just use the CPU stock cooler and everything should work perfectly.

Pachimari

I don't know your previous posts. But if you only need a new water cooler you can just use the CPU stock cooler and everything should work perfectly.

Oh yeah, why didn't I think about that.

Well, a few days ago, I think it was 2-3 days ago, my water cooler leaked liquid throughout the whole case, so that everything from PSU, CPU, RAM and video card got wet.

And now I'm hesitant to start it all up, in fear of it breaking. =/

SleazyC

Oh yeah, why didn't I think about that.

Well, a few days ago, I think it was 2-3 days ago, my water cooler leaked liquid throughout the whole case, so that everything from PSU, CPU, RAM and video card got wet.

And now I'm hesitant to start it all up, in fear of it breaking. =/
Was the computer on when the cooler leaked on all the components?

If it was off (and you unplugged all power to the system) and let it dry it your parts might be ok. Just make sure you've given it ample time to air out.

Pachimari

Was the computer on when the cooler leaked on all the components?

If it was off (and you unplugged all power to the system) and let it dry it your parts might be ok. Just make sure you've given it ample time to air out.

I never turned on the computer but I wonder if 2-3 days have been enough to dry it all out.

Should I pull the trigger on a 770 or 780 right now? I mentioned I was considering so to a guy who tends to know his stuff about PC stuff, and he said I might want to hold fire for a little longer for next-generation cards. Is something coming soon, PC GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom