• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dilemma.

Current spec:
i7-2700k
Asus p8z68
GTX 680

So my motherboard seems to have crapped out and only recognizes half the RAM. What should I do? Upgrade to new Haswell CPU+mobo or stick with the 2700k and replace motherboard? My 2700k has always easily overclocked to 4.5Ghz.

What do you guys think?

Dilemma.

Current spec:
i7-2700k
Asus p8z68
GTX 680

So my motherboard seems to have crapped out and only recognizes half the RAM. What should I do? Upgrade to new Haswell CPU+mobo or stick with the 2700k and replace motherboard? My 2700k has always easily overclocked to 4.5Ghz.

What do you guys think?

Unplug and re-seat the RAM first. Then try one stick at a time. See if your RAM has died or if the motherboard is the issue. If the RAM has died you can always buy a new stick :)

Arkanius

AMD users: How do you reduce texture shimmering? With my NVIDIA card I remember there was a setting called "Negative LOD Bias" that when set to Clamp it eased the artifacts of high definition textures and movement. But on my AMD card no such thing exists and I seem to notice it more than ever.

Tips?

kennah

Dilemma.

Current spec:
i7-2700k
Asus p8z68
GTX 680

What do you guys think?

Stick with your 2700K unless you're really feeling the itch to upgrade :) You can find some good deals on used 1155 motherboards.

FLAguy954

Okay, a couple of questions:

I have decided to go Intel with the i5 4670K and was wondering what is the best over-clocking motherboard I could get for around ~$110 (I'm plan on paying about $200 for the i5 at Micro Center)?

My budget for a GPU is going to be ~$200. Should I pick up an R7 265 and spend the extra cash on the motherboard or should I just go for a R9 270 for $200 (Asus via Amazon)? (Don't want an Nvidia card atm)

kennah

Okay, a couple of questions:

I have decided to go Intel with the i5 4670K and was wondering what is the best over-clocking motherboard I could get for around ~$110 (I'm plan on paying about $200 for the i5 at Micro Center)?

My budget for a GPU is going to be ~$200. Should I pick up an R7 265 and spend the extra cash on the motherboard or should I just go for a R9 270 for $200 (Asus via Amazon)? (Don't want an Nvidia card atm)

Anything with a Z87 is fine for a motherboard.

And good luck finding any R9 card at MSRP.

These miners, is this just a few people who are spending a lot of money on hardware, or are more and more people getting into this?

Do you think we'll see more companies getting into PC components that cater towards that group (similar to how there are parts aimed at servers, for example), or is it too big an undertaking to justify and consequently gamers will have to share the same parts?

kennah

These miners, is this just a few people who are spending a lot of money on hardware, or are more and more people getting into this?

Do you think we'll see more companies getting into PC components that cater towards that group (similar to how there are parts aimed at servers, for example), or is it too big an undertaking to justify and consequently gamers will have to share the same parts?

Motherboards designed for mining have popped up, so I anticipate we'll see more stuff like that. It's a bit of a boom market right now. Might stop being profitable, or it might not. We're in the infancy of something new, so it's hard to tell.

would anyone be shocked if high end maxwell launches at 1500 msrp

seems insane until you factor in cryptocurrencies giving nvidia the advantage with maxwell + the fact that price ranges for kepler are stacked to 1200 bones right now while still not meeting titan black demand

mkenyon

Banned

seems insane until you factor in cryptocurrencies giving nvidia the advantage with maxwell + the fact that price ranges for kepler are stacked to 1200 bones right now while still not meeting titan black demand
Yes, I would.

The MSRP on 290x's isn't $900. That's retailer markup.

Bii

Got my QNIX QX2710 in yesterday. Only took three business days to reach me (South Korea to California). Booted the bad boy up and the screen is oh-so-beautiful. There's some backlight bleeding but only really noticeable during dark scenes, it doesn't bother me enough to open it up, at least not yet. I was having issues trying to overclock it, though. I was using CRU and changed the refresh rate to 96Hz. I restarted my PC and nothing shows up on my screen. So I went back and changed it back to 60Hz. I'll probably dabble a bit more into it later today.

What's the upgrade procedure like for a miner? When the next great GPU comes out, are they going to dump all their 280x's at once and sink a lot of money into new ones?

Wonder what the resale value will be like on their cards, especially if they all hit at once.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What's the upgrade procedure like for a miner? When the next great GPU comes out, are they going to dump all their 280x's at once and sink a lot of money into new ones?

Wonder what the resale value will be like on their cards, especially if they all hit at once.

to my knowledge, miners don't dump cards, they just add new ones. and the last refurb you'd want to buy is a miners refurb. that card would probably be pretty worn out.

maxwell cards might be good for mining due to power efficiency, but the topic seems contentious: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2370143

Water

Motherboards designed for mining have popped up, so I anticipate we'll see more stuff like that. It's a bit of a boom market right now. Might stop being profitable, or it might not. We're in the infancy of something new, so it's hard to tell.
Mobos labeled as "for mining" aren't going to be that different from other mobos, but it might be possible to build mining cards that have substantially different priorities than ordinary models. Maybe slightly underclocked from the factory for optimal perf/$ (including power draw consideration), high reliability, good warranty, only 1 output to save cost. 2 lower-performance GPUs crammed on one card. You could also offer a power supply that is specifically optimized for efficient power delivery to X units of one particular mining card, and sell a discounted kit of X cards + 1 PS.

image.png

ok so friend didn't receive as much for taxes as he orignally thought. been trying to maximize a build around $1100. Advice on anything is appreciated

mkenyon

Banned
Mobos labeled as "for mining" aren't going to be that different from other mobos, but it might be possible to build mining cards that have substantially different priorities than ordinary models. Maybe slightly underclocked from the factory for optimal perf/$ (including power draw consideration), high reliability, good warranty, only 1 output to save cost. 2 lower-performance GPUs crammed on one card. You could also offer a power supply that is specifically optimized for efficient power delivery to X units of one particular mining card, and sell a discounted kit of X cards + 1 PS.
I'd imagine that you'd want to get mobos with PLX chips to support tons of PCI-E lanes on a single mobo.
image.png

ok so friend didn't receive as much for taxes as he orignally thought. been trying to maximize a build around $1100. Advice on anything is appreciated
Awesome picks. Couldn't do it better myself with an eye towards budget building.

Welp, the 2nd 660ti I ordered did not work, sending that back to Amazon. Went ahead and ordered a 770 for $275. I just cannot convince myself to ever spend more than $300 on a video card. Should get around $150 for the 660ti on ebay.

mkenyon

Banned
TBH, that's why I go used as opposed to Refurb or Warehouse stuff. The person you're buying from stakes their ability to sell stuff online on the working order of the product. Then you also generally get a longer warranty.

I'd imagine that you'd want to get mobos with PLX chips to support tons of PCI-E lanes on a single mobo.

Awesome picks. Couldn't do it better myself with an eye towards budget building.

also, my friend just got an i7 and new mobo, wondering if i traded out and the mobo and i5 from this order for friends used i5 2500k and mobo where we can save more money. How worth it is it to stay with haswell or go used?

Water

Does mining actually need to move a ton of data between CPU and GPU? I've thought the data can stay on the GPU most of the time. (Not a miner obviously.)

Has anyone done a price match request with bestbuy.com to match newegg? I have a bestbuy credit card and am thinking about just getting a GTX 780 with that.

mkenyon

Banned
also, my friend just got an i7 and new mobo, wondering if i traded out and the mobo and i5 from this order for friends used i5 2500k and mobo where we can save more money. How worth it is it to stay with haswell or go used?
Haswell has PCI-E 3.0 (so does Ivy), whereas Sandy has PCI-E 2.0. That's not huge right now, but in three years it might be. I actually still think Ivy is a much better buy overall, especially when you consider the overclocking headroom compared to Haswell.
Does mining actually need to move a ton of data between CPU and GPU? I've thought the data can stay on the GPU most of the time. (Not a miner obviously.)
Good question, and I don't know. I also don't know enough to say whether or not it matters. Was my only thought as to what a miner specific mobo might have, outside of strictly PCI-E slots spaced one apart.

Cool! Gyromancer finally got updated!

But there's another problem. My GPU is processing like hundred frames per second and is getting hot and making that whistling noise!

When one thing is fixed, another problem arises! This is why we can't have nice things! *cry*

Is there any way I can make the game go 30fps or 60 so that way my GPU won't work overtime for no reason at all?

mkenyon

Banned
Cool! Gyromancer finally got updated!

But there's another problem. My GPU is processing like hundred frames per second and is getting hot and making that whistling noise!

When one thing is fixed, another problem arises! This is why we can't have nice things! *cry*

Is there any way I can make the game go 30fps or 60 so that way my GPU won't work overtime for no reason at all?
Set a frame limit with RadeonPro or NVIDIA Inspector.

mr stroke

Haswell has PCI-E 3.0 (so does Ivy), whereas Sandy has PCI-E 2.0. That's not huge right now, but in three years it might be. I actually still think Ivy is a much better buy overall, especially when you consider the overclocking headroom compared to Haswell.

Good question, and I don't know. I also don't know enough to say whether or not it matters. Was my only thought as to what a miner specific mobo might have, outside of strictly PCI-E slots spaced one apart.

Do PCI-E 3.0 slots make any noticeable difference with SLI/CF?

I was going to stay with my i52500k and just swap the mobo to an SLI board(as it appears Haswell vs sandy bridge doesn't do much for gaming) But if the PCI-E 3.0 is a big difference then maybe I should move to Haswell with an all new z87 Haswell mobo.

Tablo

Do PCI-E 3.0 slots make any noticeable difference with SLI/CF?

I was going to stay with my i52500k and just swap the mobo to an SLI board(as it appears Haswell vs sandy bridge doesn't do much for gaming) But if the PCI-E 3.0 is a big difference then maybe I should move to Haswell with an all new z87 Haswell mobo.

It'll be much more cost effective to just get a new Mobo and stick with your 2500K for the moment. PCIE 2.0 won't come into play for you, better off waiting for Skylake next year for a full CPU/motherboard upgrade :)

mkenyon

Banned
It makes a difference when you're talking about 3 or 4 way SLI with high end cards. There haven't been any recent tests with crossfire, and from what I understand, the data is actually being transferred over the PCI-E bus entirely, rather than the CF bridge, as of the 290 series. I'd imagine it would there.
It'll be much more cost effective to just get a new Mobo and stick with your 2500K for the moment. PCIE 2.0 won't come into play for you, better off waiting for Skylake next year for a full CPU/motherboard upgrade :)
Or Haswell-E.

mr stroke

It makes a difference when you're talking about 3 or 4 way SLI with high end cards. There haven't been any recent tests with crossfire, and from what I understand, the data is actually being transferred over the PCI-E bus entirely, rather than the CF bridge, as of the 290 series. I'd imagine it would there.

Or Haswell-E.

To alleviate having to buy an all new board in the fall, are any current boards backward compatible with Sandy Bridge that would also work Haswell-E once it becomes available in the fall or would it require an all new board again?

Tablo

Skylake is going to be more interesting for most gamers vis a vis Haswell E imo ;)
Better IPC, PCIe 4.0, more mature ddr4 at that point too. Hopefully sata express/nvme will be a thing then as well.
Plus mini itx since I'm pretty sure LGA 2011-3 will not have that form factor still.

redlegs87

Bought it back in September of last year. Unsure about warranty, their EVGA site says 3 years from when it shipped from their warehouse. So I'd guess 2 years? Haven't over-clocked it and have had no problems with it.

Which version? I am putting together a build right now and that would save me like 60 bucks.

Though I won't be able to purchase it till the friday after this coming one. If you have to have the funds now then oh well.

Tablo

To alleviate having to buy an all new board in the fall, are any current boards backward compatible with Sandy Bridge that would also work Haswell-E once it becomes available in the fall or would it require an all new board again?

Going to require a new board.

mkenyon

Banned
Haswell-E is the Ivy-E and Sandy-E (Socket 2011) successor. It'll be on a new socket as well.
Skylake is going to be more interesting for most gamers vis a vis Haswell E imo ;)
Better IPC, PCIe 4.0, more mature ddr4 at that point too. Hopefully sata express/nvme will be a thing then as well.
Plus mini itx since I'm pretty sure LGA 2011-3 will not have that form factor still.
They both have their upsides and downsides, and the consumer socket will continue to be a better choice for most people, you're definitely right.

I'm personally excited about a Haswell chip that has the heat spreader soldered on, as well as being on a much larger die. Might be an overclocking monster.

PCI-E 4.0 won't even be anything to bother with, especially when you have 40 PCI-E lanes native on the enthusiast socket though.

Tablo

Ugh forgot about the lack of soldered heatspreaders yeah...
Definitely an edge the enthusiast platforms have...
I wish Intel would use solder for at least the K unlocked models. It makes such a difference in terms of heat dissipation :(((

Anustart

Which version? I am putting together a build right now and that would save me like 60 bucks.

Though I won't be able to purchase it till the friday after this coming one. If you have to have the funds now then oh well.

Sadly I do :( Trying to get this months rent paid :/

Could probably go as low as 190 to sell it quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom