• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. I've got an i7920@4ghz at 1.30 volts. I'm kind of concerned about power consumption. Should I turn on Intel Speed Step? Do most people with overclocks leave it enabled? What about CxE state options? Should I do anything with those? Thanks.

Smokey

Nicely done. Couldn't take not being part of the big boys eh?!

Here's my 840Pro benchmark after about a years use

capture8tq1d.png

Patiently waiting for Haswell-E. My 2600k has served me well but it is time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Patiently waiting for Haswell-E. My 2600k has served me well but it is time.

I got the 2 780ti's so I wouldn't have to worry about money constraints when it comes to my Haswell-E build coming early next year. Pretty excited. This time I go with a good 1200w PSU as well.

Smokey

I got the 2 780ti's so I wouldn't have to worry about money constraints when it comes to my Haswell-E build coming early next year. Pretty excited. This time I go with a good 1200w PSU as well.

I imagine it will be a nice jump for me. Jump over Ivy and Haswell and straight to 8 cores from a 2600k. And glorious PCI-E 3.0

Love the case, your internal components are much more fitting for that beast of a case compared to mine. My FT02 is full of a 560Ti and a 2500K :\

It really is a great case. I have had it since I first put a build together in summer 2011. I'm just out growing it a bit ;). Really wish they would release a revision/update to bring it in line with newer case standards.

Lizardus

I have an old PC with 6850 and 2700k which I'll be giving to the family to use as their family computer. I have picked out a bunch of parts from ncix ( I am Canadian). Can GAF offer their opinion/advice?

Thanks

Billium

It really is a great case. I have had it since I first put a build together in summer 2011. I'm just out growing it a bit ;). Really wish they would release a revision/update to bring it in line with newer case standards.

I'm also sporting a ft02 and it really is a great and large case. Here is hoping the new ft05 will be as good as the ft02

Garou

I have an old PC with 6850 and 2700k which I'll be giving to the family to use as their family computer. I have picked out a bunch of parts from ncix ( I am Canadian). Can GAF offer their opinion/advice?

Thanks

A 2700K is still totally viable, if I were you I would switch out the 6850 for something like a GTX770 and build a family PC aiming for silence, ergonomics like noise are usually highly appreciated for such PCs. Like an i3, use the integrated GPU and a small SSD in a small form factor case.
Would also save a bit of money.

Lizardus

A 2700K is still totally viable, if I were you I would switch out the 6850 for something like a GTX770 and build a family PC aiming for silence, ergonomics like noise are usually highly appreciated for such PCs. Like an i3, use the integrated GPU and a small SSD in a small form factor case.
Would also save a bit of money.

Yeah I know but I wanna treat myself. I am also hearing from a friend that sli 660 would be comparable to a 780. How much truth is in this?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah I know but I wanna treat myself. I am also hearing from a friend that sli 660 would be comparable to a 780. How much truth is in this?
Not much. You aren't guaranteed to have any SLI profiles for a game, nor are you guaranteed that they are even working as intended. In addition, you get a whole frame of input lag. If the profiles aren't available, you're getting nearly half the performance you paid for. If they're not working properly, you might be in for an evening of headaches and fixes to get things working right.

That being said, most of the time things should be working pretty well.

However, even once they are you're still dealing with a very limited memory bandwidth and total memory compared to what you'd have with a 780.

As a rule that is great 99% of the time, always buy a single card. SLI/Crossfire is for when you want to achieve performance that is otherwise unattainable with a single card.

Added a Cooler Master 212 Evo heatsink. Using a i7-4770K (no overclocking) I had a stress test running for about half an hour before my temps got up to 95C. Using Prime95 Torture Test - Blend for the stress test and CPUID HWmonitor to monitor the temps.

Kind of concerned. My understanding is that greater than 70C for extended periods of time is harmful. I'd like to OC but if I can't even keep my temps below 90C at full non OC load for any length of time that makes me a bit worried.

Here are the temps for cores 0, 1, 2, and 3. And the package temps.

95C
93C
94C
85C

95C

What should I do?

I presently have two fans mounted on the 212 push/pull. Corsair 200R case with 2x intakes in front, 1x intake on side, 1x intake on bottom, 1x exhaust in back.

I have these fans. in addition to the 2 stock which came with the case.

Any thoughts?

KTT

Got an old computer working and I'm thinking about selling it to a friend (he would mainly play League of Legends). What do you guys think it'd be worth? Here are the specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
6750 1GB GDDR3
4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W (lol)
Case: not sure :p

Rough estimates? I have a GENERAL idea but I could be totally wrong and I don't want one of us to get a bad deal. He's a friend. Don't want to just give it away though, since it's running just fine at the moment. If I was going to give it away, I'd give it to my parents. But it's overpowered for them so I figured I'd sell it to a friend.

Thanks in advance :)

McBryBry

I'm gonna run this by you guys. What I'm looking to get is 1080p/60fps for games, max settiings. I want to overclock, but I'm not too sure on how or the pros and cons. I'm getting a new monitor, looking at the Asus VS238H-P, so full resolution is 1920x1080. I don't really have a time frame that I need this, just gonna save and save until I can afford it (that minimum wage college job).

CPU: Intel i7-4770k 3.5 GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX

This is running at $1569 right now, which is fine. As I said, this is gonna take a few months for me whether its $500 or $1500. Any suggestions? Will there be any parts I'll want to upgrade by the time I have the money together for this?

KTT

This is running at $1569 right now, which is fine. As I said, this is gonna take a few months for me whether its $500 or $1500. Any suggestions? Will there be any parts I'll want to upgrade by the time I have the money together for this?

If you're not ordering parts for the next few months, things will change. New parts will come out... prices will fluctuate... things will change. This thread isn't going anywhere, so I'd suggest to wait until you're a little bit closer and then start picking out specific parts. In the meantime, you may want to keep an eye out for good deals on your case, PSU, optical drive, etc -- you'll be much less likely to regret purchasing one of these parts down the line as opposed to, say, a video card.

Here! Has served me well for a much longer time than any previous CPU. I do plan on upgrading to Haswell-E later this year. If the trend holds I'll probably never buy another CPU again so I'm willing to spend on that :p

Hah, I hear you - think we're in the same boat, I'm holding off for the 'next gen' of CPU and GPU then I'm upgrading the PC. Now to work out how to make it small and silent so it can replace my consoles in the lounge...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
*sigh of relief*. I managed to not break anything
vital
:

I snapped one of the pincer things off in a tool-less drive bay and didnt fully power my gpu on the first boot but everything else was fine.

im glad that the refurbed gtx 780 wasn't dead on arrival. TAKE THAT SYSTEM.

specs for any interested:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/COOLIO5676/saved/3Vdm

*win 8 was free through dreamspark at my uni
*ssd was bought last year
Nice dude :)
Is the ASUS VG248QE the best monitor for the price if I want GSYNC? Its $300 in Canada.

Pics of build.
Basically the only one to get tmk right now. Nice build!
Got the 780Ti's installed. Haven't done any testing/benching yet:

13046614255_062298035b_b.jpg

13046961574_c342a756a2_b.jpg

13046625905_f7eb96ea66_b.jpg
I thought you weren't buying anything?

Thanks
Swap the SSD to a Samsung or Crucial, that SSD you listed should be half the price. Also $200 mobo range I'd get an MSI MPOWER or ASUS Gene for sure.
Added a Cooler Master 212 Evo heatsink. Using a i7-4770K (no overclocking) I had a stress test running for about half an hour before my temps got up to 95C. Using Prime95 Torture Test - Blend for the stress test and CPUID HWmonitor to monitor the temps.

What should I do?

I presently have two fans mounted on the 212 push/pull. Corsair 200R case with 2x intakes in front, 1x intake on side, 1x intake on bottom, 1x exhaust in back.

I have these fans. in addition to the 2 stock which came with the case.

Any thoughts?
Remount. Your temps should be nowhere near that. Check if you removed plastic tab, look up installation guide and that all screws are in all the way.
Got an old computer working and I'm thinking about selling it to a friend (he would mainly play League of Legends). What do you guys think it'd be worth? Here are the specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
6750 1GB GDDR3
4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W (lol)
Case: not sure :p

Rough estimates? I have a GENERAL idea but I could be totally wrong and I don't want one of us to get a bad deal. He's a friend. Don't want to just give it away though, since it's running just fine at the moment. If I was going to give it away, I'd give it to my parents. But it's overpowered for them so I figured I'd sell it to a friend.

Thanks in advance :)
Probably like $200. A new $300-$350 PC with the recent HD graphics has a faster CPU and close GPU potential.
I'm gonna run this by you guys. What I'm looking to get is 1080p/60fps for games, max settiings. I want to overclock, but I'm not too sure on how or the pros and cons. I'm getting a new monitor, looking at the Asus VS238H-P, so full resolution is 1920x1080. I don't really have a time frame that I need this, just gonna save and save until I can afford it (that minimum wage college job).

CPU: Intel i7-4770k 3.5 GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" SSD
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS30 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX

Get better value parts.

EVO for SSD, also wait until when you buy.
Buy whatever modular PSU comes on sale between now and when you buy.
Buy whatever 16GB of RAM comes on sale between now and when you buy.
You probably do not need the i7.

That's $200 at least saved right there for almost 0% performance loss.
Everything else you can buy later as prices will drop and new parts will be available (e.g. 770 replacement)

So come back later and look for RAM and PSU and Case deals :p

kiyomi

Can someone help me with the technobabble when attempting to buy a new monitor? I'm currently using a 4 year old Samsung 23'' LCD TV as my desktop monitor but i'm looking to purchase a monitor that is optimal for gaming. I'm willing to spend a good amount of money for it. Any terms I should be on the look out for and is there a good, better, best solution anyone can assist with? I know there are some options in the OT but I was hoping for a more expansive explanation. Also, possibly what's a reliable brand.

Bumping your question since no-one answered, and I'm interested too.

Water

Gaming display discussion in a recent thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780596

Also see the 120/144Hz display thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720113

Long story short, there is no single best display for gaming. Some of the best available options are the Eizo FG2421 (1080p @ 120Hz, low persistence, VA panel), Korean displays like Qnix (1440p, IPS, overclockable to ~100Hz), or waiting for Asus/Benq/Overlord etc. G-Sync enabled 120/144Hz displays that will be out in a few months. The best cheap(er) option is a 1080p @ 60Hz IPS display with low input lag; several options are available from Dell, Eizo and others.

Things like input delay and response time are a big deal, as well as color reproduction and pixel response time. There are also more obvious features like resolution and refresh rate. As a rule of thumb, 120/144Hz Monitors are great for fast paced competitive FPS games since the increased refresh rate smooths out the action. IPS Panels are great for color reproduction and have decent input delay, so they are very good for MMO's and movies and the like (general use in my mind).

Kylejc86

Hi guys first time I'm dipping my toes into the world of PC gaming and I would love a lite advice.

I bought a Shuttle SZ77R5 off gumtree yesterday and it came with:

i5 3570k (4x 3.40GHZz socket 1155)
16gb DDR3 ram
3TB hard drive
Pioneer DVD Writer
GeForce 210
Total cost £325

I realise that the graphics card is shit but I am looking to upgrade this to hopefully handle some games at 1080p 60fps so for starters:

Did I get a decent deal?

Will upgrading the graphics card help me or is the system too weak to be a fairly decent gaming pc?

Also if upgrading the graphics card will help could you give some suggestions.

Cheers

Ganzor

Meh think i just killed my Core i7 920 :( , I was installing new harddrives and seems like i accedently cut the power to my watercooling pump. Would have lowed to wait for Skylake but might be time to move to a 4770k? : /

Hi guys first time I'm dipping my toes into the world of PC gaming and I would love a lite advice.

16gb DDR3 ram
3TB hard drive
Pioneer DVD Writer
GeForce 210
Total cost £325

I realise that the graphics card is shit but I am looking to upgrade this to hopefully handle some games at 1080p 60fps so for starters:

Did I get a decent deal?

Will upgrading the graphics card help me or is the system too weak to be a fairly decent gaming pc?

Cheers

Not a terrible deal, but that GPU has to go. You might night a low-profile one which severely limits your options. If you can fit a normal GPU in there I recommend a GTX 760 or GTX 660 Ti Boost.

2San

16gb DDR3 ram
3TB hard drive
Pioneer DVD Writer
GeForce 210
Total cost £325

Did I get a decent deal?

Cheers
Well I reckon the integrated GPU on the 3570k is better than the Geforce 210. So the thing would be better for gaming without the geforce 210. :p

The 3570K is still a great CPU and it still will be for a while I think. That said overclock that CPU and buy a decent graphics card and you have a great gaming machine. What is the motherboard though and do you have a after market cooler on it? With Decenr graphics card it can be anything from GTX 760 to a GTX780ti. So you will see good gain regardless of what you spend. Don't waste your money on sub 100 dollar gpu's though.

Kylejc86

Well I reckon the integrated GPU on the 3570k is better than the Geforce 210. So the thing would be better for gaming without the geforce 210. :p

The 3570K is still a great CPU and it still will be for a while I think. That said overclock that CPU and buy a decent graphics card and you have a great gaming machine. What is the motherboard though and do you have a after market cooler on it? With Decenr graphics card it can be anything from GTX 760 to a GTX780ti. So you will see good gain regardless of what you spend. Don't waste your money on sub 100 dollar gpu's though.

As far as I am aware the motherboard is the stock one that comes with the shuttle z77 and I don't think it has an aftermarket cooler, thanks for the tip about taking the graphics card out as I will try that when I get home. I think on payday I'm going to get a EVGA GTX 770 as I can't really afford a crazy powerful graphics card just yet.

Garou

Note that he has a Shuttle SZ77R5.

I would also go for a GTX760.

2San

Note that he has a Shuttle SZ77R5.

As far as I am aware the motherboard is the stock one that comes with the shuttle z77 and I don't think it has an aftermarket cooler, thanks for the tip about taking the graphics card out as I will try that when I get home. I think on payday I'm going to get a EVGA GTX 770 as I can't really afford a crazy powerful graphics card just yet.
Ah I missed that you mentioned the mobo. From what google tells me, is that you can overclock with it decently. Not sure what kind of cooler will can fit in it (I am not really familiar with the small form factor cases). I highly recommend overclocking at some point though, it's just a waste otherwise imo.

Don't forget to download the drivers for the integrated gpu.

Samer

Looking forward to build a PC for the living room so I can just connect it to my 65" TV and watch movies without having to copy them to an external hard drive from my computer in the office room.

Main uses will be:

- 1080p (and some 3D) mkv's.
- Steam big picture (I hope to be able to play nearly everything in my library, from Terraria to Crysis 2 at 1080p)

I think I've decided the case, a Cooler Master Elite 130:

cooler-master-elite-130-case,U-5-398957-13.png

Just deciding on the internals, I guess I'll go with liquid cooling since I want it to be quiet. My first choice was a Mac mini but I think I can get better components (specially the GPU) for the same price if I build it myself.

Are there any barebone cases that stand out or are noticeably better than the Cooler Master? When I decide that I'll start looking at the components, probably a R9 280X will do the job (I guess?).

Lexxism

Thanks

Which City are you?

You were too late. NCIX had the i5 4670k for $250. Tigerdirect has the MSI 760 for $270. Try doing a price match for some of those parts to lessen the price. Try using pcpartpicker.com to check which stores has the cheapest parts you are planning to get.

LordAlu

16gb DDR3 ram
3TB hard drive
Pioneer DVD Writer
GeForce 210
Total cost £325

Did I get a decent deal?

Cheers
You've got a Z77 board, so some good cooling and you can overclock that 3570K to good levels. The power supply is actually pretty good, 500W 80+ Bronze with an 8-pin and a 6-pin PCI-E, so you can slap a good graphics card in there - a GTX 760 2GB would be perfect.

Looking forward to build a PC for the living room so I can just connect it to my 65" TV and watch movies without having to copy them to an external hard drive from my computer in the office room.

Main uses will be:

- Steam big picture (I hope to be able to play nearly everything in my library, from Terraria to Crysis 2 at 1080p)

Just deciding on the internals, I guess I'll go with liquid cooling since I want it to be quiet. My first choice was a Mac mini but I think I can get better components (specially the GPU) for the same price if I build it myself.

Are there any barebone cases that stand out or are noticeably better than the Cooler Master? When I decide that I'll start looking at the components, probably a R9 280X will do the job (I guess?).
The Elite 130 is actually a really nice case for the price. MKenyon has a few suggested builds for the Elite 120 here, but they should still be just fine for the Elite 130.

Soon I will have plenty of dosh but nothing to buy coz I'm waiting for the 800 series to launch.

image2hkz8.jpg

Any news on dates? Someone told me like OCT last time I asked.

Samer

The Elite 130 is actually a really nice case for the price. MKenyon has a few suggested builds for the Elite 120 here, but they should still be just fine for the Elite 130.

Yeah, I've seen the post. I was wondering if it was updated though, since it's from January.

Kylejc86

You've got a Z77 board, so some good cooling and you can overclock that 3570K to good levels. The power supply is actually pretty good, 500W 80+ Bronze with an 8-pin and a 6-pin PCI-E, so you can slap a good graphics card in there - a GTX 760 2GB would be perfect.

Everyone keeps suggesting to get a GTX 760 2GB but I was looking at the GTX 770 2GB so is the extra money for the 770 not worth it?

Cheers

2San

Soon I will have plenty of dosh but nothing to buy coz I'm waiting for the 800 series to launch.

image2hkz8.jpg

Why bother with the peasant cards when you can buy a Titan Black.

The 700 series came out around May/June afaik, that might be a decent indication.
Everyone keeps suggesting to get a GTX 760 2GB but I was looking at the GTX 770 2GB so is the extra money for the 770 not worth it?

Cheers
I'm not sure, but afaik the GTX770 2GB is decent value. So if you have the extra money go for it.

LordAlu

Yeah, I've seen the post. I was wondering if it was updated though, since it's from January.
No need really - there's not been anything since then that would be worth changing out with the current list.

Cheers
The 760 is probably the best price/performance card out there. The 770 gives you an average 15% performance increase or so (I forget exactly) but is a good £60-£70 more. Personally I don't think worth it myself but if you want to then go for it - you won't be disappointed either way.

Kylejc86

The 760 is probably the best price/performance card out there. The 770 gives you an average 15% performance increase or so (I forget exactly) but is a good £60-£70 more. Personally I don't think worth it myself but if you want to then go for it - you won't be disappointed either way.

Oh well that is good to know so I will probably just get a 760 unless a great 770 bargain happens lol.

Cheers

jiggles

Banned
I think I need a new power supply. My card is working great right now, but I'm worried about the issues I'll probably experience when the PSU starts to go.

Nvidia gives a "recommended minimum" of 42A to the card and a 600W supply.

My supply is 650W, but the 12V+ is split into 4 rails delivering 18A each, so feeding the GPU off one rail kills the system under load. The PSU manual "strongly recommends" using the same rail for powering a single GPU with two cables, but because that doesn't work, I've split the GPU supply across two rails to get the current up to the point where it doesn't cut off.

But that's still only 36A it's getting, 6A short of Nvidia's recommendation. I've heard the power recommendations are a bit inflated, and the fact that I can run FurMark in OC mode with no issues proves that.

But being outside of the recommended bounds on two counts (current to GPU and number of rails for one card) has me a little concerned.

Am I worrying over nothing, or should I replace the PSU immediately?

jiggles

Banned
The numbers are inflated. What is the model of your power supply? A 'good' 500 will run a 780 no problem.

It's a Xigmatek NRP-MC651.

So I guess if the card starts to draw more current than the PSU can provide it'll cut the power completely like it did before, so I can just wait until that day comes?

What about splitting across rails, how risky is it?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Main uses will be:

I was literally looking at this case today (along with the Elite 120), as I've got the urge to build a new PC and the wait for Haswell-E is killing me.

Basically what I chose was:

Asus Z87I Pro
i5-4670K
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)
Asus GeForce GTX 760 OC

I've still not decided on whether to buy it or not. My desktop uses a Q9450 and my laptop is Sandy Bridge. So it's been a while since I bought any new tech.

kennah

Aren't they slow now and thus not worth buying?
edit: no wait I'm thinking Kingston >.>
For general use and gaming the slowest SSD is still way faster than any hard drive and the performance delta is pretty much unnoticeable if you aren't doing super heavy access/transfer loads - like server grade stuff.

mkenyon

Banned

image2hkz8.jpg

Q4 2014, Q1 2015 is my best guess.
I was literally looking at this case today (along with the Elite 120), as I've got the urge to build a new PC and the wait for Haswell-E is killing me.

Basically what I chose was:

Asus Z87I Pro
i5-4670K
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)
Asus GeForce GTX 760 OC

I've still not decided on whether to buy it or not. My desktop uses a Q9450 and my laptop is Sandy Bridge. So it's been a while since I bought any new tech.

Main uses will be:

Both of you check out the Small Form Factor Guide.

Also, I have an Elite 130 sitting around if anyone in the Pacific NW wants it (free). Don't really want to ship it out cause it's a pain. I'm in Thurston County, and frequently go down to PDX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom