• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

The fans power up and then down and then up and gives me this message:

4yX1yho.jpg

I guess I have connected the video card the wrong way?

tehbible

How is dropping below 30fps a 2ms variability? Come on now. I'm giving your argument serious thought and credit.

Your argument has no validity since you keep ignoring the cost in power consumption. Really no point in discussing with you when you clearly have an agenda claiming a certain CPU is better than the other. lol?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You still haven't acknowledged that you understand frame latencies unless I missed it.

I suggest you do that first.

I'm not even sure what the arguments are anymore. Because CPU speeds are barely increasing I'm always going to rec the K. People who don't want to OC now usually do later when it saves them $400.

Yes, the Xeon can be slightly better/power efficient at some threaded tasks.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
The fans power up and then down and then up and gives me this message:

I guess I have connected the video card the wrong way?

thats the exact same error i got :')

we are brothers.

you probably have a card with unused pins for the psu. it probably has a 6 and 8 pin slot where you're only using the 6 or the 8. if so, you need to use a 2nd psu -> pci-e cable.

but congrats man! you basically did it!

mkenyon

Banned
Your argument has no validity since you keep ignoring the cost in power consumption. Really no point in discussing with you when you clearly have an agenda claiming a certain CPU is better than the other. lol?
Yeah I did:
But, I think you bring up a valid point that would be good for us to address in our charts. If someone isn't going to overclock, they should absolutely look at the Xeon as a great buy for the money.

Ilive1up

i have a question about power supplies.

i'm going to be running an i5 4670k, GTX 770 on an Asus Z87-A.

what's the perfect amount of power for that combo?

Pachimari

thats the exact same error i got :')

we are brothers.

you probably have a card with unused pins for the psu. it probably has a 6 and 8 pin slot where you're only using 6 or 8. if so, you need to use a 2nd psu -> pci-e cable.

but congrats man! you basically did it!

Wait, so nothing's broken in my computer?

But I have a 6pin and 8pin cable connected to the video card. =/

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Wait, so nothing's broken in my computer?

nope, just take a 2nd psu -> pci-e cable, plug one end in your psu at the correct position and plug the other into the (im guessing it's the 8) 8 pin power connector on the gpu. so youll have filled the 6pin and and 8pin connector on the gpu.

tehbible

You still haven't acknowledged that you understand frame latencies unless I missed it.

I suggest you do that first.

I'm not even sure what the arguments are anymore. Because CPU speeds are barely increasing I'm always going to rec the K. People who don't want to OC now usually do later when it saves them $400.

Yes, the Xeon can be slightly better/power efficient at some threaded tasks.

Recommending the K is also healthier profits for Intel and PC components industry as well :p

I think you're underestimating the power efficiency over time of a Xeon processor over an overclocked K series CPU though. My i7-920 OC'd was eating up a lot of electricity until I upgraded to haswell non OC i7-4770t. Literally $20 a month. I keep my rig on 24/7 though.

Personally for me, going from 120fps to 90fps isn't much of a difference for me. I can't tell much of a difference at that high of an fps. Most games are GPU-dependent anyhow, except for some of the games you guys mentioned.

Pachimari

nope, just take a 2nd psu -> pci-e cable, plug one end in your psu at the correct position and plug the other into the (im guessing it's the 8) 8 pin power connector on the gpu. so youll have filled the 6pin and and 8pin connector on the gpu.

But I already did that with adapters. =/
Because the default 6pin won't fit in my PSU.

all the pins are filled? and theyre plugged into the pci-e/cpu ports on the psu?
I'll try take a look again.

kharma45

you might be the only person here claiming an i5 is better than a xeon v3 processor. you're essentially saying an i5 w/o hyperthreading is better than an i7... lol

Is this real life?

Did you not read the anandtech article? With a discrete GPU installed, you will get power savings through moderate usage. People skimping on PSU's is the worst thing you can do when buying PC components. Sure a Bronze will work fine for lower power consumption rigs. There is a reason why most PSU's in the 1000w+ are rated Gold. Also, PSU's stick with you for a long time. I'm still using a 6 year old+ GOLD PSU. Over the course of 5-6 years, you definitely will save over the long run, even with moderate usage, especially when using discrete GPUs. I'm not saying that Bronze PSU's are bad, but if I had a choice, knowing my upgrade path, knowing that I'll be keeping these PSU's for 6+ years, I'll be saving in the long run. I don't throw away PSUs every time it's due for an upgrade. PSUs stick over time, CPU's don't.

Of course I read it, and I didn't say there aren't savings on electricity.

Buying a Bronze unit is skimping. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahaha

hahaha

WAT.

And you're talking about Source engine from DOTA 2 that is quite old, where twitch fast response is more important than most casual gamers need. We're talking milliseconds here. Sure the graph looks like a HUGE difference, but we're talking milliseconds. As I said before, for twitch gaming, it'll help, but for the casual gamer, 2 milliseconds isn't a dealbreaker.

I'll take a more quiet, less noisy, less power consumption, and cheaper rig overall than an overclocked CPU that dissipates more heat, consumes more power, and runs a bit louder. I've overclocked for what, 15 years, and I never really had the need for the extra performance gains.

It's an older engine but still very much relevant.

Again, there is no extra noise with OCing unless your cooler isn't up to task.

Maybe you should let the other poster know that PSUs do make a difference? He's claiming that a Bronze PSU is essentially the same as Gold+ rated PSUs...

No I didn't.

and ouch, that winrar time difference between a CPU w/ hyperthreading vs one without. I'm sure many in this thread make use of Winrar :p

There's no need to be so tetchy. You can admit it, this frame latency stuff is over your head.

tehbible is reaching troll level status now. not sure if he's being serious or fucking about.

I'm sure there is a phrase in psychology for defending an item once you've spent money on it. Nothing more than that. Same as the odd AMD person we get in here.

You're right, he has a terrible agenda. Imagine trying to force people to get the best CPU you can for gaming. IMAGINE THE HORROR OF THAT SON!

Literally $20 a month. I keep my rig on 24/7 though.

A niche case then.

Personally for me, going from 120fps to 90fps isn't much of a difference for me. I can't tell much of a difference at that high of an fps. Most games are GPU-dependent anyhow, except for some of the games you guys mentioned.

Are you gaming at 120/144Hz?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
But I already did that with adapters. =/
Because the default 6pin won't fit in my PSU.

I'll try take a look again.

i didnt even realize that they had pin adaptors for psus. maybe it has something to do with that. can you take any pics power cables going into the psu/gpu?

a google search of the same problem when i had it brought me to the 6 + 8 pin thing. i would guess that that is predominantly the cause, but maybe it actually is something else in your case. either way, i very much doubt that anything is broken for you.

mkenyon

Banned
Recommending the K is also healthier profits for Intel and PC components industry as well :p

I think you're underestimating the power efficiency over time of a Xeon processor over an overclocked K series CPU though. My i7-920 OC'd was eating up a lot of electricity until I upgraded to haswell non OC i7-4770t. Literally $20 a month. I keep my rig on 24/7 though.

First bolded: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Second bolded: Most games are both CPU and GPU dependent. There's far fewer games that don't care about CPU than do. Heck, UE3 being very CPU dependent accounts for how many games in the first place? Source games. Then everything that is single-threaded, which is still a lot. Then every multiplayer game. Just with those criteria, we're already looking at a huge number of games.

The only games I can think of that don't care about CPU would be BF3 single player, Crysis 2, and Metro 2033. Crysis 3 does, for some reason. Even Metro: LL cares a little.

Now, comparing an OC'd Nehalem 920, which is an enthusiast socket with a huge die and is power hungry to a Haswell Xeon is stacking the chips a bit in your favor. You're talking about a 350W+ proc when OC'd with the 920. An OC'd 4670K is still around 150W.

tehbible

eh. trying to get people to save money on certain parts.

clearly an agenda for K series builds in this thread. interesting, but not surprising at all.

tehbible

What an awful bias we have. Sure you just go now and enjoy all those n threaded games.

never said there are a bunch of n-threaded games?

and btw, over the course of several years you do end up saving money on power cost. Like I said earlier, PSU components last long, CPU's come and go.

Oh and btw, I did purchase an ASUS 144hz monitor. Returned it in a week due to the washed out colors, and 1080p resolution. Just wasn't for me. I'm not a twitch gamer. I'm more into monitors with better PQ and higher resolution. I'm fine with 60hz gaming. Just my personal pref.

Pachimari

i didnt even realize that they had pin adaptors for psus. maybe it has something to do with that. can you take any pics power cables going into the psu/gpu?

a google search of the same problem when i had it brought me to the 6 + 8 pin thing. i would guess that that is predominantly the cause, but maybe it actually is something else in your case. either way, i very much doubt that anything is broken for you.

Water

An OC'd 4670K is still around 150W.
According to these measurements, doing a very substantial overclock on the 4670K costs 20W at idle and 30W at load. And that was with power-saving features disabled for the sake of repeatability; if they aren't disabled, I would guess there's practically no difference between OC and non-OC at idle, and idle is how most machines tend to spend most of their time.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/12/intel-core-i5-4670k-haswell-cpu-review/6
Then there's the point that one can disable the overclock when it's not necessary.
The power cost of OCing a Haswell K is insignificant.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
eh. trying to get people to save money on certain parts.

clearly an agenda for K series builds in this thread. interesting, but not surprising at all.

anger

Clearly the Xeon is saving money.

Xeon

Stop trying to push your shit so hard. I swear your tag should be "Xeon Prophet"

You're literally telling two of the most knowledgeable people in this thread that they are dumb as rocks. Take your pseudo-knowledge elsewhere.

kharma45

and btw, over the course of several years you do end up saving money on power cost. Like I said earlier, PSU components last long, CPU's come and go.

Oh right, those extra threads won't be much use then in gaming in that case.

It'll be more than several years. A good Bronze unit is $50 usually, Gold nearer $100. That's a lot of money to recoup. Sure if you're a niche case like yourself with your machine running 24/7 you might make it up over half a decade if you're running the system at full pelt, but that isn't going to be the case for most people. You're trying to use your own position to blanket justify recommendations here.

mkenyon

Banned

Oh and btw, I did purchase an ASUS 144hz monitor. Returned it in a week due to the washed out colors, and 1080p resolution. Just wasn't for me. I'm not a twitch gamer. I'm more into monitors with better PQ and higher resolution. I'm fine with 60hz gaming. Just my personal pref.
If you were to run Prime 95 every single second of every single day for one year, it would be about $70.00 in electricity versus a K.

If you were to game 3 hours every single day, it would be about $8.75 a year in power savings.

If you were to game 10 hours a week, it'd be about $4.20 a year in power savings.

I think we're done here.

mkenyon

Banned
Stop trying to push your shit so hard. I swear your tag should be "Xeon Prophet"

You're literally telling two of the most knowledgeable people in this thread that they are dumb as rocks. Take your pseudo-knowledge elsewhere.
Nah, they have a legit point. There's a number of people that just don't give a shit in the least about overclocking, and the Xeon is a really good buy for that person.

It's just everything else along with that is a bit crazy.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Yes, you need a 6-pin and 8-pin (or 6+2) to go to your video card. The adapter you have there requires two 6-pin adapters to power up a single 8-pin.

ah yes, this must be it. my 8 pin is filled with a 6+2 as well. im guessing a 6 pin into an 8 pin adapter doesnt draw all the power it needs or some such. press the 6 + 2 together and plug it into the 8 pin on your gpu.

edit: to clarify a bit more, unplug the adapter and use that 2 pin that's currently up in the air in that pic to fill out the rest of the 8 pin on your gpu.

Granadier

Nah, they have a legit point. There's a number of people that just don't give a shit in the least about overclocking, and the Xeon is a really good buy for that person.

It's just everything else along with that is a bit crazy.

You're right. I just got a little angry from reading his posts.

Pachimari

Yes, you need a 6-pin and 8-pin (or 6+2) to go to your video card. The adapter you have there requires two 6-pin adapters to power up a single 8-pin.

ah yes, this must be it. my 8 pin is filled with a 6+2 as well. im guessing a 6 pin into an 8 pin adapter doesnt draw all the power it needs or some such. press the 6 + 2 together and plug it into the 8 pin on your gpu.

Like this?

My Z87 motherboard has adaptive voltage to my 4770k, so it throttles it way down when I'm not gaming and up only when I need the performance.

Why should I care about power consumption?

Like this?

You got it.

tehbible

If you were to run Prime 95 every single second of every single day for one year, it would be about $70.00 in electricity versus a K.

If you were to game 3 hours every single day, it would be about $8.75 a year in power savings.

If you were to game 10 hours a week, it'd be about $4.20 a year in power savings.

I think we're done here.

Never did I say that Bronze PSU is not the way to go.

Never did I say that Xeon is the way to go only. (whereas most everyone here is K SERIES CPU ONLY OR DIE)

A lot of people jumping to conclusions on where I stand because I gave an alternative CPU to use instead of a K series CPU and all of a sudden it's a huge deal.

And we don't know how often people keep their rigs on. Many times, they leave it on during the day. I do not know many people that use a desktop rig solely for PC gaming. Normally it's at an idle state, consuming power (especially if overclocked) most of the time. Depends on use case scenario.

Oh, I forgot to give you guys an update on my build. Everything went smoothly except I'm a little dissapointed on the overclock. 4.4 GHz that's only stable at 1.35v. I've got a H100i on their so temperatures are still fine, but it's still a bit disappointing.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Oh, I forgot to give you guys an update on my build. Everything went smoothly except I'm a little dissapointed on the overclock. 4.4 GHz that's only stable at 1.35v. I've got a H100i on their so temperatures are still fine, but it's still a bit disappointing.

ive read that 4.2 is the on air average for haswell so that doesnt sound all that bad to me.

Granadier

Congrats on the successful build.

Pachimari

My Z87 motherboard has adaptive voltage to my 4770k, so it throttles it way down when I'm not gaming and up only when I need the performance.

You got it.

yes. now turn it on and REJOICE.

Yep, power on your PC and let us know how it goes. :)

Looks perfect.

that looks correct, now for the moment of truth

I get this screen:

It works perfectly then?

And would my next step be to install Windows on it?

And we don't know how often people keep their rigs on. Many times, they leave it on during the day. I do not know many people that use a desktop rig solely for PC gaming. Normally it's at an idle state, consuming power (especially if overclocked) most of the time. Depends on use case scenario.

This goes back to my prior post. If you're drawing comparisons between your Xenon and an i5-k or i7-k with a Z87 motherboard then it's intellectually dishonest to leave out the fact that many (most?) of those motherboards have adaptive power, that the people doing overclocks will have the knowledge of how to use it, and that many (most) of them will choose to use it.

Pachimari

You got it.

yes. now turn it on and REJOICE.

Yep, power on your PC and let us know how it goes. :)

Just change your boot order so your SSD/HDD is first. You're golden after. You're good to go.

Oh my God, I build my first PC ever! :eek:

Though, I have the stock fan installed, so I'll probably exchange it for that Corsair H60 water cooler or something else later in the month.

Granadier

Oh my God, I build my first PC ever! :eek:

Though, I have the stock fan installed, so I'll probably exchange it for that Corsair H60 water cooler or something else later in the month.

Are you installing Windows from your flash drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom