• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_6

I moved my PC from my living room back to another room so I can use a KBM properly, so I now need a new monitor. I'm currently using an older 19" Dell (1366x768 max); games look great on it and it has great colors but I need something larger and at least 1080p. My PC specs are i5-3570K @ 4.4, 7970, 8GB Ram so I don't know if I'd benefit from the VG248QE, plus I've read that the colors are not the best on it. Think I should go with it or maybe the Dell U2412M instead? I'm not a 'competitive' gamer but I do play some FPS games and will be playing Titan Fall if that matters.

Panzon

Samsung EVO 500GB is still on sale for $276 at Amazon. Don't know how much longer it will last.
The 840 pro 256GB is at $198 as well. Which of the 2 should I pick up? I wanna purchase one of these asap since the deal is too good to pass up

Which is a better bang for the buck?

saelz8

I remounted the heatsink. Still getting temps in the range of 90C. I was holding at 70c for a while and suddely bam, 90-95.

That's because Prime95 Blend is doing Min and Max FTT's. alternating. The Temps will go up when it starts doing the more strenuous test. I doubt something is wrong with your mount.

Haswells bumps voltages when it's doing AVX-Heavy Tests, which Prime95 is. Haswell is HOT. Prime95 will make an already HOT CPU Line even Hotter. Synthetics like Prime95 shouldn't be run on auto, overclocked or not. I'm assuming you're on Auto because you aren't overclocked. Since you aren't overclocked, I'm assuming you're on Auto.

What is your VCore, while the test is running?

mkenyon

Banned
The 840 pro 256GB is at $198 as well. Which of the 2 should I pick up? I wanna purchase one of these asap since the deal is too good to pass up

Which is a better bang for the buck?
The EVO.
I moved my PC from my living room back to another room so I can use a KBM properly, so I now need a new monitor. I'm currently using an older 19" Dell (1366x768 max); games look great on it and it has great colors but I need something larger and at least 1080p. My PC specs are i5-3570K @ 4.4, 7970, 8GB Ram so I don't know if I'd benefit from the VG248QE, plus I've read that the colors are not the best on it. Think I should go with it or maybe the Dell U2412M instead? I'm not a 'competitive' gamer but I do play some FPS games and will be playing Titan Fall if that matters.
Check out the monitors in the OP. Your PC is plenty powerful enough for the VG248QE, but you would miss out on the G-Sync goodness.

Panzon

I definitely trust your word so will do. Thanks.

Hope the performance is up to par like the 840 I gave to my brother was

Esit: fuck me! The total comes out to $310, Im $20 short and definately do not wanna use my credit card so oh well

Vhalyar

When it comes to HDMI cables, what's the monoprice equivalent in Europe? I need 4 meters of cable and the prices I generally find here (DE) are pretty ridiculous, as usual for HDMI.

kennah

Had to share - brought my computer to work for a busy week (and it is faster than our Mac Pro). Isn't it cute!

900x900px-LL-6e025096_image.jpeg

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I'm having gaming performance issues with my pc currently with games like ac4, bioshock, borderlands 2, the witch 2, tomb raider, need for speed (with 60fps fix), splinter cell blacklist can not get these games running a a constant 60fos, I always run into areas where the frame rate drops, textures, shadows, open areas, a lot of Npc, ambient settings seem to cause this.

My current build

AMD FX-8350 4GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Asrock 990FX Extreme3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Crucial Sport Xt 32gb Kit(8x4) Ddr3 1600
WD 2TB Green & WD Care Extended Service Plan
Aerocool Strike-X One Mid-Tower Gaming Case Screwless Black Interior
XFX XXX Edition 850w 80+ Bronze Semi Modular PSU
Zotac GTX TITAN AMP! 6GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card
LG GH24NSB0 24x Internal DVD Writer with SATA - Retail
Arctic Cooling F12 120mm Case Fan

Already got following advice

Gaming performance example
I recorded this with shadow play, one of many areas of ac4 where frames drop occur. Not the only game I have issues with

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lqzGYwJvVNo

And here's one with the lowest possible settings
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jei509qLgEA

Question is will a new motherboard and CPU fix this, I'd hate to invest so money much only to get the same results. But at the same time I've had enough of these sort of performances.
If I do change my mono and CPU, will these help me achieve 60fps in most games including ac4
Motherboard http://www.ebuyer.com/507043-gigaby...0-hdmi-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc or http://www.ebuyer.com/507038-gigaby...-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc-force

CPU http://www.ebuyer.com/467641-cpu-core-i7-4770k-3-50ghz-lga1150-box-bx80646i74770k

Getting rid of that current CPU and upgrading will indeed fix your problem. CPU is the bottleneck in your situation.

The only thing I would change would be to get a i5-4670 unless you really want that i7. But with that Titan, you're already sort of killing it. i7 is above an beyond what is needed right now, and the 4670 will last you quite a few years.

Either motherboard seems fine. But you'd be find going with the cheaper one.

4670K, and you will want to OC it. It's a lot easier to do with Intel.

The major difference between the two motherboards is the inclusion of a PLX chip on the pricier one. That would be of zero benefit to you, so you made the right choice there.

I've swapped my mobo for http://www.ebuyer.com/507043-gigaby...0-hdmi-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc

And new CPU inel i7 4770k @ 3.5 ghz

Tested need for speed rivals, there was no improvement.
Overclocked the CPU to 3.8 ghz and the performance was te same. It seems the same, maybe a little worse, from the previous set up.
Issue is frame rate dips in built up areas.

Noticed a improvement with ac4 though. Ran at 60fps in the same areas I had issues with.
It takes a big hit in vegetated areas but I'm assuming that's the gpu more than CPU?

Any reason ac4 should perform better than need for speed rivals, I wonder if I'll ever get to play that at 60fps solid.

I will eventually buy a after market CPU cooler and try to oc to 4.2ghz see if that helps.

Bii

I definitely trust your word so will do. Thanks.

Hope the performance is up to par like the 840 I gave to my brother was

Esit: fuck me! The total comes out to $310, Im $20 short and definately do not wanna use my credit card so oh well

B&HPhoto has it for the same price as Amazon. B&H doesn't charge you tax if it's not shipped within NY, then you could have bought it from there. They also have free shipping.

rocK`

Banned
Honestly think this should be its own thread, but can we discuss top of the line monitors?

I've got two Dell 30 inch monitors that obviously suffer in terms of frame rate that I'm looking to swap out.

I saw the new Asus rog monitors but they seem to be on TN screens. Anyone have any lag less top quality monitor suggestions?

mkenyon

Banned
Honestly think this should be its own thread, but can we discuss top of the line monitors?

I've got two Dell 30 inch monitors that obviously suffer in terms of frame rate that I'm looking to swap out.

I saw the new Asus rog monitors but they seem to be on TN screens. Anyone have any lag less top quality monitor suggestions?
This is the thread you're looking for.

But, right now there's trade offs no matter which way you go. Go with big IPS/PLS panels, and you get shit for motion clarity (lots o' blur). Then there's that 1440p RoG monitor coming out with G-Sync, but that's TN as you noted, which means not great colors.

There's the overclockable 27" IPS/PLS panels, like the QNIX Evolution II and Overlord Tempest OC, but they can be wonky when overclocked, and still don't have as good of clarity as the Lightboost-able panels.

If you don't mind dropping down to 1080p, the Eizo Foris FG2421 is a VA panel with a native lightboost function, so it has great colors with a really nice dynamic contrast even with lightboost. The only tradeoff with this guy is the resolution.

Then there's the VG248QE, which has G-Sync (and therefore ULMB - Ultra Low Motion Blur), but it's 24" and TN.
I've swapped my mobo for http://www.ebuyer.com/507043-gigaby...0-hdmi-displayport-atx-motherboard-ga-z87x-oc

And new CPU inel i7 4770k @ 3.5 ghz

Tested need for speed rivals, there was no improvement.
Overclocked the CPU to 3.8 ghz and the performance was te same. It seems the same, maybe a little worse, from the previous set up.
Issue is frame rate dips in built up areas.

Noticed a improvement with ac4 though. Ran at 60fps in the same areas I had issues with.
It takes a big hit in vegetated areas but I'm assuming that's the gpu more than CPU?

Any reason ac4 should perform better than need for speed rivals, I wonder if I'll ever get to play that at 60fps solid.

I will eventually buy a after market CPU cooler and try to oc to 4.2ghz see if that helps.
Just did some googling, and NFS Rivals runs like shit on every PC. It's a problem with the game. You can't fix the FPS to go beyond 30, as it breaks the game logic. Sounds like something you should just avoid.

Panzon

B&HPhoto has it for the same price as Amazon. B&H doesn't charge you tax if it's not shipped within NY, then you could have bought it from there. They also have free shipping.
Thanks for the heads up. I called and they told me its an in store promo as well so Im gonna go pick it up tomorrow morning before work

Robert7lee

Neo Member
mkenyon said:
Just did some googling, and NFS Rivals runs like shit on every PC. It's a problem with the game. You can't fix the FPS to go beyond 30, as it breaks the game logic. Sounds like something you should just avoid.

There is a legit 60fps fix for this game http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcbNSwbpPU

Although it's not designed to run at that frame rate it is possible.

When it runs at 60 it looks great, I hate playing it at 30 again., But there are too many areas where is slows down, I've even turned all graphic features off.

Dave_6

Check out the monitors in the OP. Your PC is plenty powerful enough for the VG248QE, but you would miss out on the G-Sync goodness.

Yeah I've been looking at all those with my two choices down to the 248QE and the U2412. Am I correct that there is a 'fix' for the colors on the 248QE?

I may be switching to an Nvidia card before Arkham Knight releases so G-Sync isn't a worry right now.

I'm updating the new Nvidia driver here at the moment 335.23 and the green bar (Geforce Experience Express installation) stopped at about 33%. It did not crash or is waiting for any input, it's like that for 15 Minutes now, i don't have the feeling it will strat moving again.

If i restart the computer now... will i be looking at a black screen afterwards? Kind of scary, the last 2 updates didn't make any problems?

EDIT: I just restarted the computer, now it says driver is up to date.... everything seems to be fine. That was rather strange!

mkenyon

Banned
I'm updating the new Nvidia driver here at the moment 335.23 and the green bar (Geforce Experience Express installation) stopped at about 33%. It did not crash or is waiting for any input, it's like that for 15 Minutes now, i don't have the feeling it will strat moving again.

If i restart the computer now... will i be looking at a black screen afterwards? Kind of scary, the last 2 updates didn't make any problems?

EDIT: I just restarted the computer, now it says driver is up to date.... everything seems to be fine. That was rather strange!
If it were me, I'd remove everything through standard windows Add/Remove, and then delete everything in C:\NVIDIA\, restart, and reinstall the driver. But that's probably just curmudgeony bias. You're probably good :p
There is a legit 60fps fix for this game http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xcbNSwbpPU

Although it's not designed to run at that frame rate it is possible.

When it runs at 60 it looks great, I hate playing it at 30 again., But there are too many areas where is slows down, I've even turned all graphic features off.
Yeah, despite that, I'm reading lots online of people with god-tier setups like yours getting absolute garbage performance in it, with slowdowns similar to what you are describing. Sounds like the game is just poorly coded.
Yeah I've been looking at all those with my two choices down to the 248QE and the U2412. Am I correct that there is a 'fix' for the colors on the 248QE?

I may be switching to an Nvidia card before Arkham Knight releases so G-Sync isn't a worry right now.
I don't like the motion resolution on any of the non-120Hz IPS panels. I guess I'm the blur equivalent of the people that hate on TN colors. I can deal with slightly off colors, but I need my games to be blur free. That stuff drives me nuts. It is really subjective though.

Given that, it's hard for me to ever give a thumbs up on stuff like the U2412. I'd take the VG248QE over it any day.

And yeah, Durante posted his color profile for it (VG248QE) in the 120Hz thread.

I'll apologize for my laziness in advance, even if that doesn't make it any better, but the little research I made didn't quite give me enough information.

Roughly 2 years ago I bought an EVGA GTX 560ti along with the other parts of my PC, incl. an i5-2500k. Back then it cost me a bit over 200€ IIRC. It seemed like progress in that price market has been pretty slow however and I haven't followed the newer graphics cards much, so I'm wondering: What are the best graphics card choices I would get for ~200€ at the moment and how much higher is their performance in comparison to my current 560ti. I'm a bit more interest in Nvidia cards but all suggestions are welcome.

I'd want at least a 50-60% performance increase from my 560ti as 200€ isn't little money. I'm just wondering if I can get that currently (I'd assume I can with AMD at least) or if much more is actually possible.

Sylvatica

Hey guys!
So I've built my PC back in 2008 and haven't really informed myself since then.
My PC
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz 1333MHz S775
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 FSB 400MHz S775 ATX
AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
4 gig RAM
400W power supply

Nothing fancy I know.
Now is there a way to build upon what I have or should I start from scratch?
If so, what should I get with + - 500€ as a budget?
Hope you guys can help me. :)

Dave_6

I don't like the motion resolution on any of the non-120Hz IPS panels. I guess I'm the blur equivalent of the people that hate on TN colors. I can deal with slightly off colors, but I need my games to be blur free. That stuff drives me nuts. It is really subjective though.

Given that, it's hard for me to ever give a thumbs up on stuff like the U2412. I'd take the VG248QE over it any day.

And yeah, Durante posted his color profile for it (VG248QE) in the 120Hz thread.

Thanks! I'm going with the 248QE then.

mkenyon

Banned
I'll apologize for my laziness in advance, even if that doesn't make it any better, but the little research I made didn't quite give me enough information.

Roughly 2 years ago I bought an EVGA GTX 560ti along with the other parts of my PC, incl. an i5-2500k. Back then it cost me a bit over 200€ IIRC. It seemed like progress in that price market has been pretty slow however and I haven't followed the newer graphics cards much, so I'm wondering: What are the best graphics card choices I would get for ~200€ at the moment and how much higher is their performance in comparison to my current 560ti. I'm a bit more interest in Nvidia cards but all suggestions are welcome.

I'd want at least a 50-60% performance increase from my 560ti as 200€ isn't little money. I'm just wondering if I can get that currently (I'd assume I can with AMD at least) or if much more is actually possible.
GTX 760 is what you'd be looking at. You should be able to find one on sale for about 200 Euros.
Hey guys!
So I've built my PC back in 2008 and haven't really informed myself since then.
My PC

Nothing fancy I know.
Now is there a way to build upon what I have or should I start from scratch?
If so, what should I get with + - 500€ as a budget?
Hope you guys can help me. :)
Going to have to start from scratch really. You could just get a videocard for now, and then upgrade the rest if you want a processor that is more mid tier. As is, you'd be looking at something like an i3 + GTX 750 Ti.

Pachimari

Now is the time to wish me luck.

I'm home in one hour and I'm gonna put some goo inbetween the CPU and heatsink and fire up that wet monster!

dengatron

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $250.00)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Purchased For $80.00)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $150.00)
Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $140.00)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (Purchased For $150.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $64.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (Purchased For $329.00)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $93.00)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $140.00)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $59.00)
Total: $1455.00
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-10 16:52 EDT-0400)

This is the build I start tomorrow when my Mobo/CPU finally come in. Anyone with experience with a h60 or h80i recommend replacing the pre applied thermal paste?

tehbible

I didn't say the Xeon was bad, I said the i5 was better. Which it is.

you might be the only person here claiming an i5 is better than a xeon v3 processor. you're essentially saying an i5 w/o hyperthreading is better than an i7... lol

Again you're misconstruing what I said. I said the savings aren't significant, which is true.

Did you not read the anandtech article? With a discrete GPU installed, you will get power savings through moderate usage. People skimping on PSU's is the worst thing you can do when buying PC components. Sure a Bronze will work fine for lower power consumption rigs. There is a reason why most PSU's in the 1000w+ are rated Gold. Also, PSU's stick with you for a long time. I'm still using a 6 year old+ GOLD PSU. Over the course of 5-6 years, you definitely will save over the long run, even with moderate usage, especially when using discrete GPUs. I'm not saying that Bronze PSU's are bad, but if I had a choice, knowing my upgrade path, knowing that I'll be keeping these PSU's for 6+ years, I'll be saving in the long run. I don't throw away PSUs every time it's due for an upgrade. PSUs stick over time, CPU's don't.

If that's not beneficial I'm fucking Santa. That's using a 3570K w/ 7970 doing increments of 200MHz. Anything Source based is going to have significant differences with processor speeds and IPC.

And you're talking about Source engine from DOTA 2 that is quite old, where twitch fast response is more important than most casual gamers need. We're talking milliseconds here. Sure the graph looks like a HUGE difference, but we're talking milliseconds. As I said before, for twitch gaming, it'll help, but for the casual gamer, 2 milliseconds isn't a dealbreaker.

I'll take a more quiet, less noisy, less power consumption, and cheaper rig overall than an overclocked CPU that dissipates more heat, consumes more power, and runs a bit louder. I've overclocked for what, 15 years, and I never really had the need for the extra performance gains.

mkenyon

Banned
you might be the only person here claiming an i5 is better than a xeon v3 processor. you're essentially saying an i5 w/o hyperthreading is better than an i7... lol

Did you not read the anandtech article? With a discrete GPU installed, you will get power savings through moderate usage. People skimping on PSU's is the worst thing you can do when buying PC components. Sure a Bronze will work fine for lower power consumption rigs. There is a reason why most PSU's in the 1000w+ are rated Gold. Also, PSU's stick with you for a long time. I'm still using a 6 year old+ GOLD PSU. Over the course of 5-6 years, you definitely will save over the long run, even with moderate usage, especially when using discrete GPUs. I'm not saying that Bronze PSU's are bad, but if I had a choice, knowing my upgrade path, knowing that I'll be keeping these PSU's for 6+ years, I'll be saving in the long run. I don't throw away PSUs every time it's due for an upgrade. PSUs stick over time, CPU's don't.

And you're talking about Source engine from DOTA 2 that is quite old, where twitch fast response is more important than most casual gamers need. We're talking milliseconds here. Sure the graph looks like a HUGE difference, but we're talking milliseconds. As I said before, for twitch gaming, it'll help, but for the casual gamer, 2 milliseconds isn't a dealbreaker.

I'll take a more quiet, less noisy, less power consumption, and cheaper rig overall than an overclocked CPU that dissipates more heat, consumes more power, and runs a bit louder. I've overclocked for what, 15 years, and I never really had the need for the extra performance gains.
Hey, you keep on skirting my replies. Go read it. I don't think you understand frame latency charts.

Also, please do post data along with claims.

And in gaming, a 4.2-4.4GHz i5 is sure as shit better than a Xeon.

*edit*

And no one is saying what you've done is bad for you. Everyone is glad your system is working. But you're not right about what is better for the money. There's no data to support your claims, and lots of data to the contrary.

*edit 2*

And regarding PSUs, I think you will find you're preaching to the choir with Kharma. I mean, look at the OP build sheet. As soon as you get out of budget territory, it's nothing but Gold Rated PSUs, and the best of them.

tehbible

Hey, you keep on skirting my replies. Go read it. I don't think you understand frame latency charts.

Also, please do post data along with claims.

And in gaming, a 4.2-4.4GHz i5 is sure as shit better than a Xeon.

I did read it. frame latency in milliseconds is hardly a dealbreaker for many. Maybe you can give a real world explanation as to how 2-3 milliseconds for casual gamers would be a dealbreaker in return for a pricier rig, more power consumption, and more noise.

I'll take a rebadged i7 with hyperthreading support over an overclocked i5, w/o hyperthreading.

And regarding PSUs, I think you will find you're preaching to the choir with Kharma. I mean, look at the OP build sheet. As soon as you get out of budget territory, it's nothing but Gold Rated PSUs, and the best of them.

Maybe you should let the other poster know that PSUs do make a difference? He's claiming that a Bronze PSU is essentially the same as Gold+ rated PSUs...

mkenyon

Banned
I did read it. frame latency in milliseconds is hardly a dealbreaker for many. Maybe you can give a real world explanation as to how 2-3 milliseconds for casual gamers would be a dealbreaker in return for a pricier rig, more power consumption, and more noise.

I'll take a rebadged i7 with hyperthreading support over an overclocked i5.
99th Percentile Charts are basically a more accurate way to determine average FPS.

10ms to 8ms is like saying 100 fps vs. 125 fps.

Removing frames that chug enhances the playability of the game, even considering your claim of twitch gamers.

I get your point though, and it's totally cool that you're fine with worse performance for the money for lower power consumption and a better multimedia creation processor. That's just a direct tradeoff that is subjective. But to argue that it's objectively better is just not correct.

tehbible

99th Percentile Charts are basically a more accurate way to determine average FPS.

10ms to 8ms is like saying 100 fps vs. 125 fps.

Removing frames that chug enhances the playability of the game, even disregarding your claim of twitch gamers.

I get your point though, and it's totally cool that you're fine with worse performance for the money for lower power consumption and a better multimedia creation processor. That's just a direct tradeoff that is subjective. But to argue that it's objectively better is just not correct.

And from the minor gains you get from overclocking, I'll take that 'worse' performance so I can extract data more quickly, run applications more quickly, and have hyperthreading support, save a bit on power consumption, whilst dissipating less heat, all while gaming without much a performance sacrifice. I'll definitely take that forsure.

I never started out claiming that the xeon 'better' than the other? Maybe you should read the replies again. This is what the other poster said

I didn't say the Xeon was bad, I said the i5 was better. Which it is.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
tehbible is reaching troll level status now. not sure if he's being serious or fucking about.

Tablo

Mkenyon is speaking the absolute truth when it comes to frame latencies dude, the point is to make sure each frame is rendered in as little a time as possible, that transcends the FPS argument. This is even more important for twitch gaming than sheer FPS, you don't want random frames that chug as stated because that could be that frame where an explosion went off and you need to be able to react without a minuscule delay.
That being said you're going to be fine without overclocking, it's just not as ideal as it could be for gaming (among other things I suppose).

mkenyon

Banned
All advice in this thread is purely centered around gaming performance. As a gaming processor, the i5 is objectively better.

- I picked the E3 1230 V3 because it's essentially the same as the i7. Just not overclockable. For gaming, overclocking doesn't give much of a performance boost as most games are GPU-dependent. This E3 1230 V3 is great for enterprise level applications like Photoshop, etc.

*snip*

I wouldn't even spend the extra on K series CPU since you get what, like an extra 10% in terms of performance, which could/could not translate to increase in most GPU-dependent games.

Plus, not to mention the extra wattage required when overclocked, thereby consuming more power, thereby paying more in energy costs. Most overclockers disable EIST as well.

Just to reiterate:

Essentially 104 FPS vs. 83 FPS. Little over 20% gain.

156.25 FPS vs. 126 FPS. Just under 20% gain.

75 FPS vs. 63 FPS. 16% gain.

zouDi.png

Around 25% gain in min FPS, 15% gain in avg FPS.

Hyperthreading those same cores is not going to give that kind of performance boost.

And just to make sure that you know I don't totally disagree with you: I think there are most certainly cases where people might be better suited with your Xeon, and you seem to be one of those cases. I'm glad it's working out for you. But I get the distinct sense you want to convince people of your subjective choice, and by doing so, you need to minimize the effect of the empirical data that is stacked against you. That's not very consumer friendly.

tehbible

Mkenyon is speaking the absolute truth when it comes to frame latencies dude, the point is to make sure each frame is rendered in as little a time as possible, that transcends the FPS argument. This is even more important for twitch gaming than sheer FPS, you don't want random frames that chug as stated because that could be that frame where an explosion went off and you need to be able to react without a minuscule delay.
That being said you're going to be fine without overclocking, it's just not as ideal as it could be for gaming (among other things I suppose).

Which I've mentioned with regards to twitch gaming, 2ms latency will make a difference where extremely fast response times are necessary for competitive gaming. I'm not claiming that Xeon is THE WAY TO GO by any means. People buy certain CPUs for various tasks.

And btw here is some data to 'backup my claims.'

Xeon e3-1230 v3 vs i5-4670k

ItQpQPZ.png

Here is last generation's Xeon e3-1230 v2 vs i5-3570k.

Dat power consumption savings

WPOdaZu.jpg

All advice in this thread is purely centered around gaming performance. As a gaming processor, the i5 is objectively better.

Notice how most of you keep claiming one is better than the other. Not once did I mention that one is better than the other... Go figure.

And I'm the only one in this thread it looks like thats breaking against the mold stating that OC'ed K series CPU's are not 'essential' to have for gaming.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, definitely a much better multimedia creation processor. Heck, the 8350 is a better multimedia creation processor than the i5 K series.

But, I think you bring up a valid point that would be good for us to address in our charts. If someone isn't going to overclock, they should absolutely look at the Xeon as a great buy for the money.

However, I think you're either being pedantic or coy, as you explicitly state:

I wouldn't even spend the extra on K series CPU since you get what, like an extra 10% in terms of performance, which could/could not translate to increase in most GPU-dependent games.

Which was a follow up to critiquing that people are spending way too much on K processors when you can get the Xeon. For gaming. Because that's what this thread is for :p

And you can't say stuff like "only 2ms it's so tiny" (paraphrasing), because I again think you don't understand frame latency information. Sure, one frame is 2ms, but there's 100 of them in a second, which ends up giving you like 20% more frames to look at. That makes the game objectively more smooth and enjoyable, as well as more responsive, as your input gets polled 20% more in that second.

If you're using the "2ms" thing as a way to discount reducing big lag spikes, then you're grabbing data from the wrong charts I posted. For those, you want to look at the "frames above X" data. In those cases, overclocking the processor would cut in half the number of frames above 16.7ms, and sometimes even eliminate them. That's really significant.

tehbible

Yeah, definitely a much better multimedia creation processor. Heck, the 8350 is a better multimedia creation processor than the i5 K series.

But, I think you bring up a valid point that would be good for us to address in our charts. If someone isn't going to overclock, they should absolutely look at the Xeon as a great buy for the money.

However, I think you're either being pedantic or coy, as you explicitly state:

Which was a follow up to critiquing that people are spending way too much on K processors when you can get the Xeon. For gaming. Because that's what this thread is for :p

And you can't say stuff like "only 2ms it's so tiny", because I again think you don't understand frame latency information. Sure, one frame is 2ms, but there's 100 of them in a second, which ends up giving you like 20% more frames to look at.

If you're using the "2ms" thing as a way to discount reducing big lag spikes, then you're grabbing data from the wrong charts I posted. For those, you want to look at the "frames above X" data. In those cases, overclocking the processor would cut in half the number of frames above 16.7ms, and sometimes even eliminate them. That's really significant.

That is not significant for the casual gamer at all. Look at the data I have provided. It's gains aren't much for what, 45% in additional power consumption? 75% in power consumption difference when overclocked? THAT, my friend, is huge.

I'm starting to come to the realization that many in this thread probably do not care about power consumption. I just came into this thread hoping to save some people money. But if you want to hang onto milliseconds as dealbreakers that reduce 'lag spikes' then yeah, spend the extra on a K series CPU, z87 motherboard, along with a custom cooler, for 45% more power consumption when gaming, all without hyperthreading support.

and ouch, that winrar time difference between a CPU w/ hyperthreading vs one without. I'm sure many in this thread make use of Winrar :p

mkenyon

Banned
Hey now, don't get all emotional. I did say that you raise a good point, and we should alter our charts to take it into account.

But, also keep in mind that that load watts pulled is doing something like Prime 95, not gaming. You can't saturate 8 threads on a processor while gaming. As a result, power consumption is going to be far less exaggerated than 45%.

If you think the average gamer isn't better served by something that doesn't chug and gets 20% better performance in games, then I'm not sure I can help you understand, which makes me sad :(
Nope.

tehbible

If you think the average gamer isn't better served by something that doesn't chug, then I'm not sure I can help you understand, which makes me sad :(

I gave data giving 75% in additional power consumption comparing an OC'ed i5 CPU vs a Xeon e3 (rebadged i7) CPU w/ hyperthreading support.

I also gave data showing marginal performance gains for an OC'd CPU w/o hyperthreading vs one that does. btw, in the near future, more games will probably be utilizing hyperthreading. It's a form of future proofing as well.

If you seriously think that a xeon e3 chugs compared to an i5 cpu oc'ed. wow.

Echo Six

Neo Member
Was thinking today about replacing my trusty 2011-vintage rig when the full version of Star Citizen releases in 2015 (could well get pushed back to 2016 though) and what the build might look like. I guess by then we'll be on to Broadlake or Skylake procs, Pirate Islands or Volta GPUs (driving an Oculus for SC, naturally), and DDR4 will be commonplace? Maybe SSDs will have a low enough dollar/GB and high enough reliability to use as main hard drives, though that might be too optimistic. Any other interesting stuff on the horizon?

mkenyon

Banned
I gave data giving 75% in additional power consumption comparing an OC'ed i5 CPU vs a Xeon e3 (rebadged i7) CPU w/ hyperthreading support.

I also gave data showing marginal performance gains for an OC'd CPU w/o hyperthreading vs one that does. btw, in the near future, more games will probably be utilizing hyperthreading. It's a form of future proofing as well.

If you seriously think that a xeon e3 chugs compared to an i5 cpu oc'ed. wow.

Pretty much shows that it chugs literally 400% more there.

Chugs 1600% more there.

Chugs 200% more there.

Also, games might be heading towards n-threading, but there's no way to know for sure. It's really difficult to do in games.

The Almighty GabeN said:
If writing in-order code [in terms of difficulty] is a one and writing out-of-order code is a four, then writing multicore code is a 10. That's going to have consequences for a lot of people in our industry. People who were marginally productive before, will now be people that you can't afford to have write engine or game code.

Pachimari

I have just applied the goo on the CPU and everything's connected. I'm now gonna start up my first PC and hope nothing breaks down after everything got wet a couple of days ago... *Extremely nervous*

That's because Prime95 Blend is doing Min and Max FTT's. alternating. The Temps will go up when it starts doing the more strenuous test. I doubt something is wrong with your mount.

Haswells bumps voltages when it's doing AVX-Heavy Tests, which Prime95 is. Haswell is HOT. Prime95 will make an already HOT CPU Line even Hotter. Synthetics like Prime95 shouldn't be run on auto, overclocked or not. I'm assuming you're on Auto because you aren't overclocked. Since you aren't overclocked, I'm assuming you're on Auto.

What is your VCore, while the test is running?

I just put it in torture test and let it do its thing on blend.

I'll check the vcore temp. I did it the way pcmag suggested.

mkenyon

Banned
I have just applied the goo on the CPU and everything's connected. I'm now gonna start up my first PC and hope nothing breaks down after everything got wet a couple of days ago... *Extremely nervous*
My dog caught a Squirrel today, I shall go retrieve it and sacrifice its blood to the Silicon Gods. May your computer boot, and your clocks be high.

kiyomi

Good luck!

I've been watching your posts since way before you decided on your parts. It's been a fun journey to witness.

Hope everything's okay!

tehbible

bunch of comments clinging to small variabilities

And the difference is marginal again. That's not even close to chugging. Keep clinging

Remember, you get to eke out marginal performance, sacrificing money on power cost over time, more heat dissipation, extra cost in rig, buying a z87 mobo, K CPU, custom cooler with additional heat/noise, for the very small gains you get. For the Europeans out there, it's a pricey build to want to go full K.

pZFmRh5.png

V0a0Zi8.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom