• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

OFFIS

I installed Windows 7 on my SSD and wow is it fast at starting up but I can't seem to connect to my network.

I have tried directly with a ethernet cable and wirelessly but neither that or the network card I installed picks up any connection.

Have you installed the drivers? Take a look at the device manager for any exclamation marks.
device-manager-report-just-after-windows-update.PNG

ACE 1991

Have you installed the drivers? Take a look at the device manager for any exclamation marks.

I can't get my ethernet port to work because I don't have the drivers installed, how can I find out what I need to download in order to move from the shitty wifi I have to a hard wired connection?

Lexxism

I can't get my ethernet port to work because I don't have the drivers installed, how can I find out what I need to download in order to move from the shitty wifi I have to a hard wired connection?

Use the CD that come up with your motherboard or go to your motherboard website and download the driver. It usually says LAN or something.

Bii

Is it worth buying the parts weeks apart? First one I bought was all at once since I had the cash. This time around, Im trying to buy them weeks apart. Is it worth it this way?

Im really scared some parts come DOA and then its too late for me to return/exchange

Most parts have, at the least, a one year warranty. So you can always RMA with the manufacturer as oppose to the vendor you bought it from. But to maximize savings, you'll have to price watch the parts like a hawk. I bought my parts in a span of four weeks and I still could have saved some money on parts had I bought it sooner/later. Fortunately, all my parts were in working order by the time I built my PC.

Panzon

Most parts have, at the least, a one year warranty. So you can always RMA with the manufacturer as oppose to the vendor you bought it from. But to maximize savings, you'll have to price watch the parts like a hawk. I bought my parts in a span of four weeks and I still could have saved some money on parts had I bought it sooner/later. Fortunately, all my parts were in working order by the time I built my PC.
I just bought the Samsung EVO 500 GB for $276 at B&H and just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have buyer's remorse later on. I took advantage of what seems like a good deal right now and am just hoping I didn't make a mistake. Thanks for the info though

I was considering getting this:
Corsair 200R

because I didn't thought that the case would have an impact on the noise cancellation.
I was also not considering getting extra fans, I don't plan to over clock it for the time being.

other question:
It has been a while since I owned a windows pc, should I get W7 or 8?
Gaming performance wise what's better?

Case looks good, about the Windows,if you go Windows 8.1 install the start menu mods. Also, games perform better on Windows 8.1 than 7.

Pachimari

I'll try all the suggestions you folks came with about the internet connection but these yellow lines just got me real worried:

They didn't show up at first at all but after some time they're there and they're real.

I need to buy a whole new GTX 780 video card? =;(

Hmm, now my computer shows yellow lines across the screen...? =/

Now I'm worried!

I'll try all the suggestions you folks came with about the internet connection but these yellow lines just got me real worried.

Here are things you can try:
-Check GPU temps, sometimes when the GPU gets too hot it produces artifacts onscreen.
-Unplug your GPU and plug it back in
-Unplug your video cable and plug it back in
-Change video cables
-Change monitors
-Update video drivers
-Disable GPU in bios and see if you still get this with your onboard video
-Put GPU in another PC and see if it does it also
-Buy a new GPU

Pachimari

Here are things you can try:
-Check GPU temps, sometimes when the GPU gets too hot it produces artifacts onscreen.
-Change video cables
-Change monitors
-Update video drivers
-Put GPU in another PC and see if it does it also
-Buy a new GPU

I tried these:

-Check GPU temps, sometimes when the GPU gets too hot it produces artifacts onscreen.)
-Change video cables

I'm gonna try this now:

But when I connect to the HDMI on the motherboard nothing shows up on screen at all.

I'm in the BIOS and can't even find an option to disable GPU.

mkenyon

Banned
I installed Windows 7 on my SSD and wow is it fast at starting up but I can't seem to connect to my network.

I have tried directly with a ethernet cable and wirelessly but neither that or the network card I installed picks up any connection.
Yeah, you need to install your drivers. Chipset, USB 3.0, LAN at least.
I'll try all the suggestions you folks came with about the internet connection but these yellow lines just got me real worried:

They didn't show up at first at all but after some time they're there and they're real.

I need to buy a whole new GTX 780 video card? =;(
Shiiiiieeeeet.

As noted above, I'd try using just the onboard video to see if the same issues persists there. If you get yellow lines through onboard video as well as the 780, then it's either the cable or the monitor. If not, then you need to contact Corsair to buy you a new 780.
thanks a lot!

one more question:
noise wise how is this configuration:

CPU - i5 4670K 4C/4T
MB - MSI Z87-G55
RAM - Kingstone 1.35V 2x4GB
GPU - AMD R9 270X 4GB
HDD - Sandisk 128GB SSD
Power Supply - Antec VP450
The cases listed as "Quiet Options" in the OP have sound deadening material to further reduce noise.

mkenyon

Banned
Nothing happens when I connect to the onboard one.

I'll try contact the store I bought it from first. Oh well. =(
You need to force enable the onboard video in BIOS first, or just unplug your video card from the motherboard.

And Corsair will be the one to replace the 780 if it comes to that.
I have about £1500 to spend, I can't decide whether to get a laptop or a PC any help?
Well, you're going to have to explain a bit more for anyone to be helpful :p

There's lifestyle reasons why people would choose a laptop. But if you're going to be having it as a stationary object, then you will get a lot more for your money with a desktop.

Pachimari

You need to force enable the onboard video in BIOS first, or just unplug your video card from the motherboard.

And Corsair will be the one to replace the 780 if it comes to that.

There's lifestyle reasons why people would choose a laptop. But if you're going to be having it as a stationary object, then you will get a lot more for your money with a desktop.

But there's rules here in Denmark which says, if stuff you have bought doesn't work properly, then the store should replace it or fix it. At least they replaced my water cooler, so it seems they have accepted that its fault leaked water throughout my computer parts.

I'm gonna try start it up without the GPU. If I do that, should I plug in the HDMI cable into the motherboard?

EDIT:
Alright, there's no yellow lines when I use the inboard graphics.

What does this mean? Is the video card broken then?

mkenyon

Banned
But there's rules here in Denmark which says, if stuff you have bought doesn't work properly, then the store should replace it or fix it. At least they replaced my water cooler, so it seems they have accepted that its fault leaked water throughout my computer parts.

I'm gonna try start it up without the GPU. If I do that, should I plug in the HDMI cable into the motherboard?

EDIT:

.... yes :(

I feel so bad you've had to go through this. Sorry mate.

Beefy

Well I only use my lap top at home. I have around £1500 to spend including insurance but can stretch to £2k if needed. I have no idea how to set up a pc or what insides to choose as I have never had one.

I have always been a lap top / PS4 gamer and only use the laptop in doors.

mkenyon

Banned
Well I only use my lap top at home. I have around £1500 to spend including insurance but can stretch to £2k if needed. I have no idea how to set up a pc or what insides to choose as I have never had one.

I have always been a lap top / PS4 gamer and only use the laptop in doors.
Check out the OP.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Got a 780ti arriving tonight. I'm excited!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

EDIT:

Good luck getting your GPU situation figured out. I hope either Corsair or the store you purchased it from replaces it for you.

kiyomi

Alright, a few questions I need to get the answers to, I keep reposting my build here every few weeks, hoping to build soon, but haven't yet got the funds together. Oh the wait! :p

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.90 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Dabs)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£61.96 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£53.99 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£44.98 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.99 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: LG 22EA53VQ 60Hz 21.5" Monitor (£107.39 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£19.98 @ Novatech)
Other: Windows Etc (£22.00)
Total: £674.11
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-11 16:59 GMT+0000)

Questions!

• I went for that PSU over this, partly due to the extra 50W headroom, and it has a 5 year warranty, as opposed to 3 years. Good decision?
  • I noticed the 210 Elite doesn't have many (any?) dust filters, would I have to buy some like these? Or are there cheaper/better alternatives? The PC will be in our cat's favorite room, so I kinda wanna avoid getting too much junk in there.
  • I have a really old speaker setup from an old PC. I believe it's a 4.0 system. Would that be okay to use as a basic way of getting sound out of the PC for general usage? How do I check to make sure it'd be compatible? Would I have to configure anything in the software? I'll be using headphones most of the time, but it'd be useful to know.
  • Do you guys think the Maxwell 8xx series will be 3GB+? I want to get a basic GPU like the 750 Ti, just to keep me going until an appropriate Maxwell comes out. Smart approach or not?

Sorry for the amount of questions here!

Bumhead

Banned
Just putting a build together for a colleague at work.

Anyone got any thoughts on the following?

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/9c9ba658dda54d3b8c78da607bb68052

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini micro-ATX Mini Tower Performance Case with USB 3.0 w/o PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K, S 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub (VGA) DVI-D HDMI, Micro ATX
GPU: 2GB MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1098MHz, Boost 1150MHz, Cores 1536, DPort/DVI/HDMI
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
PSU: 550W XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX
HDD: 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms NCQ OEM
SSD: 240GB Crucial M500 2.5" 6GB/s Internal SSD Slim 7mm, 500MB/s Read, 250MB/s Write

Mainly curious about the case and motherboard combination. He's wanting a smaller case, and I've had good experiences with the Fractal Design ones so gone for the Micro one of that. I've also gone for a smaller motherboard to match, but not sure if the fittings will be right?

mkenyon

Banned
Questions!

• I went for that PSU over this, partly due to the extra 50W headroom, and it has a 5 year warranty, as opposed to 3 years. Good decision?
  • I noticed the 210 Elite doesn't have many (any?) dust filters, would I have to buy some like these? Or are there cheaper/better alternatives? The PC will be in our cat's favorite room, so I kinda wanna avoid getting too much junk in there.
  • I have a really old speaker setup from an old PC. I believe it's a 4.0 system. Would that be okay to use as a basic way of getting sound out of the PC for general usage? How do I check to make sure it'd be compatible? Would I have to configure anything in the software? I'll be using headphones most of the time, but it'd be useful to know.
  • Do you guys think the Maxwell 8xx series will be 3GB+? I want to get a basic GPU like the 750 Ti, just to keep me going until an appropriate Maxwell comes out. Smart approach or not?

Sorry for the amount of questions here!
PSU choice is good.

You'd need to buy a nicer case to get dust filters. The 210 Elite is really basic.

Speakers will work fine. The plug system for those hasn't ever changed, so they're compatible.

Some will, some won't. 750 Ti is Maxwell, and isn't 3GB+
Just putting a build together for a colleague at work.

Anyone got any thoughts on the following?

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/9c9ba658dda54d3b8c78da607bb68052

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini micro-ATX Mini Tower Performance Case with USB 3.0 w/o PSU
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K, S 1150, Haswell, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo, 1200MHz GPU, 34x Ratio, 84W, Retail
Motherboard: Asus Z87M-PLUS, Intel Z87, S 1150, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub (VGA) DVI-D HDMI, Micro ATX
GPU: 2GB MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr Gaming, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 7010MHz GDDR5, GPU 1098MHz, Boost 1150MHz, Cores 1536, DPort/DVI/HDMI
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V
PSU: 550W XFX Core Edition P1-550S-XXB9, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX
HDD: 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64MB Cache 8ms NCQ OEM
SSD: 240GB Crucial M500 2.5" 6GB/s Internal SSD Slim 7mm, 500MB/s Read, 250MB/s Write

Mainly curious about the case and motherboard combination. He's wanting a smaller case, and I've had good experiences with the Fractal Design ones so gone for the Micro one of that. I've also gone for a smaller motherboard to match, but not sure if the fittings will be right?
It'll all fit. But, I'd suggest this motherboard instead.

Pachimari

At least I am writing this from my new computer. =(

I also installed the DVD drive and all of the drivers, so now the network and my mouse and keyboard works.

Here's hoping they'll replace my video card. I don't have the funds for another one.

But why do I only have one C: folder? I have a 1TB HDD and a 250GB SSD but they seem to be combined. =/

kiyomi

PSU choice is good.

You'd need to buy a nicer case to get dust filters. The 210 Elite is really basic.

Speakers will work fine. The plug system for those hasn't ever changed, so they're compatible.

Some will, some won't. 750 Ti is Maxwell, and isn't 3GB+

That's great to know about the PSU and speakers, thanks. Looks like I'll have to spend a little extra on a case then! :p

As for those cards, yeah, I guess I meant the 760/770 equivalents. Considering the 280x is a 3GB card, I thought it'd be odd if those equivalent cards were anything less than 3GB.

in what scenarios would 780 ti be preferable over a 780?

You get about... 20% more performance for $200, which isn't that shabby in the high end gpu space.

mkenyon

Banned
X99 Rumors

uG5wzpl.png

pNO0HRx.png

in what scenarios would 780 ti be preferable over a 780?

You get about... 20% more performance for $200, which isn't that shabby in the high end gpu space.
Performance difference is more around 10-15%. It would be preferable over the 780 if you have the money for a more powerful card.

mkenyon

Banned
Oh wait, I misread. I only see the SSD on my computer, but not my HDD which should be connected.
You need to add it through Disk Management, just right click on the HDD listed there and format it, it might say something like "Add as new Volume" or something.

*edit*

LATE

Pachimari

You need to initialize and format it in disk management. Right click Comouter and click Manage.

You need to add it through Disk Management, just right click on the HDD listed there and format it, it might say something like "Add as new Volume" or something.

*edit*

LATE

It says "convert to dynamic disk".

Edit:
Got it.

Also, can I just format everything on my SSD and install Windows on new from my USB?

mkenyon

Banned
I can format it but it says 100MB in capacity.

Yes but I also installed all the drivers on it and Steam. Shouldn't that be on the HDD so I have space for software and favorite online games on the SSD?
240GB has plenty of space for what you're talking about. Steam has a tool that allows you to choose where to install games to.

You want to click on the space that shows 931.41 GB to format, not the 100MB. The 100MB is reserved system space.

I can format it but it says 100MB in capacity.

Yes but I also installed all the drivers on it and Steam. Shouldn't that be on the HDD so I have space for software and favorite online games on the SSD?

Drivers are tiny and make sense to be installed on the SSD. Steam itself is very small and allows you to install games onto other drives so keeping that on the SSD is fine as well.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep, new simple volume.

*edit*

Also, for people not aware of this program, check out Greenshot. Click 'Print Screen', click on one spot to start a box, click on a second spot to finish the box. Click 'upload to imgur'. Screenshot done to your exact specs within a few seconds, ready to share.

Monitor question here.

Do 1440 monitors exist below 27"? I'll likely be upgrading my graphics card when the new Maxwell GPUs are out and I'm wondering if I should throw in a new monitor for shits and giggles. Thing is my current monitor even at 24" feels too large for me. And that's with a bezel of about 1/2".

jonno394

Just experienced my first issue with my new build, and it's not a technical one. I always enter my live password whenever I log in (dont ask me why, I just do) but my PC would not recognise it. I had to log in to Live via my phone and reset the password.

Should I be concerned?

mkenyon

Banned
Monitor question here.

Do 1440 monitors exist below 27"? I'll likely be upgrading my graphics card when the new Maxwell GPUs are out and I'm wondering if I should throw in a new monitor for shits and giggles. Thing is my current monitor even at 24" feels too large for me. And that's with a bezel of about 1/2".
Nope.

It's a shame too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yay! What exactly was the problem again? I vaguely remember your post(s) from a while back
PSU just decided to die 2 weeks in. Funny enough, the computer took longer to start a couple of days before it died completely.

Currently playing Titanfall. It works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom