• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Looks like they're going to be doing a Fortress version of the RVZ01 (steambox-like enclosure), second from the left:

p8ockzEl.jpg

Also, new Fortress FT05, a real successor to the FT02:

LL

Xwx2NuT.jpg

Is the Hyper 212 Evo supposed to louder than the rest of my computer? :p
Not unless your CPU is going crazy. You can set the speed of the fan in BIOS.

Is the Hyper 212 Evo supposed to louder than the rest of my computer? :p

Just bought it based on recommendations in this thread and it´s and awesome piece of hardware. My PSU is still the loudest part and thats supposed to be a "silent" one.

One final question before my build is completed. For some unknown reason i decided to get the 32-bit version of win8 when it was cheap at my university - now i have 8 gigs of ram and cannot use them (of course...) Do i need to buy a whole new licence or can i reinstall Win 8 with a 64-version and the same key?

kharma45

Just bought it based on recommendations in this thread and it´s and awesome piece of hardware. My PSU is still the loudest part and thats supposed to be a "silent" one.

One final question before my build is completed. For some unknown reason i decided to get the 32-bit version of win8 when it was cheap at my university - now i have 8 gigs of ram and cannot use them (of course...) Do i need to buy a whole new licence or can i reinstall Win 8 with a 64-version and the same key?

You can, the key is valid for a 32 or 64bit install.

Didn't think of that. What's a good speed for it to be at?

I think I've mine set to auto with a target temp of 50c. Pretty quiet really bar the fan bearing is starting to go I think.

jester

Neo Member
So this may not be the right place to ask, but is it now possible to use a DualShock 4 on a PC with Bluetooth AND it being recognized as an Xbox 360 controller in games?

catabarez

I think I've mine set to auto with a target temp of 50c. Pretty quiet really bar the fan bearing is starting to go I think.

Took me a minute to find the settings but I got it. My computer is crazy quiet now, need a minute to get used to it :p Thanks!

kharma45

Cheers.

Is it worth shelling out an extra £10-30 on OC versions of cards, or is there no point?

£10 maybe, £30 not a fucking chance. A lot of the time (not always) you'll get the non-OC to clock to the same speeds, it's just not guaranteed.

I put mine down to 45°C. But at the same time i have to enter a prefered level for the fan from 1-10. Which one is stronger? Prefered °C or prefered level of the fan? (ASRock 970 extreme3)

bigkrev

Well, finally pulled the trigger on my build. Here is what I got so far

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 Black ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS229H-P 21.5" Monitor ($147.58 @ Newegg)
Total: $1086.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-09 22:21 EST-0500)

I'm going to either get Windows 7 or 8.1 cheap from reddit (Windows 7 unless there is a -really- good reason to go Windows 8.1), and i'm skipping out on the cooler because I don't plan on overclocking in the near future- i bought the K chip and Z motherboard as a "just in case" factor, and i'll buy a fan down the line if need be.

I have 170 dollars in Amazon credit to get the SSD and the HDD for this, as well as some sort of wireless card, and possibly a keyboard (I have a crappy one, might want to upgrade to something nicer). Any suggestions on how best to spend that money?

This is a rig I built in july 2012 and I love it but I'm thinking about maybe going SLI but I don't really feel like changing my psu since its been working great since day 1. Would you change the gpu (or other parts), go SLI or wait it out a while until its time to build a new rig. I'm kinda hesitating because there are some games I can't really max out everything so I just wanted your opinions.

MOBO= Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU= Intel i5-3570K
GPU= EVGA GTX670
PSU= Corsair 650W (I don;t remember the prefix, AX,TX,CX etc)
RAM= Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB)
SSD= Kingston HyperX 120GB
HD= Western Digital 1TB
Drive= LG DVD
Case Cooler Master HAF 912

Smokey

That's gotta be the most comfortable mouse I've ever used.

Plus that aluminum body.

It's an Avago ADNS 9800, which is the cream of the laser crop right now.

Yep, I love it. Instantly felt better in my hands versus my Sensei when I got it home. Love being able to adjust the weight by removing the weights in the bottom as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it a better idea to buy one stick of 8GB RAM or two 4GB? I'll be upgrading to 16GB eventually, I'm sure. And it seems RAM prices are high and will continue to climb.

Jibbed

Is it a better idea to buy one stick of 8GB RAM or two 4GB? I'll be upgrading to 16GB eventually, I'm sure. And it seems RAM prices are high and will continue to climb.

Go for one 8GB so when you eventually do upgrade, you'll still have only 2 slots occupied.

Hi folks!

I'll be upgrading my GPU this year in preparation for the onslaught of Q4 games, most notably The Witcher 3.
In order to do that, I'll need to upgrade the PSU first since my trusty old Corsair HX520 isn't enough for a new GPU.
I don't know exactly when will I get the new GPU (no sooner than August I think), but I'll get the PSU sometime this spring.
I'll be shooting for a 780/290x or something better if it comes out by then (Maxwell, etc.)

Here's the rig:

ASUS Z87 PRO
Intel Core i5 4670K (nonOC at the moment, will OC at some point in the future if necessary)
Noctua NH-D14
8GB RAM
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
WD 1TB HDD
DVDRW
Corsair HX520 PSU
XFX Radeon 7850 2GB (factory OC @ 975/1250)

gaming @ 1920x1200.

Is Corsair still a good brand? Corsiar TX 750 would be enough and future-proof? I won't go SLI/Crossfire.

Jibbed

Shot in the dark but my as well post on here... selling a 22" Samsung LED TV, an ASUS GTX 560Ti 1GB graphics card, and an NZXT Tempest EVO II PC case. PM if interested in any, all are 2 years old and in great condition (GPU in particular is pristine).

Edit: UK only.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is a rig I built in july 2012 and I love it but I'm thinking about maybe going SLI but I don't really feel like changing my psu since its been working great since day 1. Would you change the gpu (or other parts), go SLI or wait it out a while until its time to build a new rig. I'm kinda hesitating because there are some games I can't really max out everything so I just wanted your opinions.

MOBO= Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU= Intel i5-3570K
GPU= EVGA GTX670
HD= Western Digital 1TB
Drive= LG DVD
I've quite a quite similar rig and not being able to max out certain games doesn't bother me in the least. That would be quite an expensive standard to keep up with over time, I imagine.

I'd hold out. That's what I'm doing. 20nm GPU's are just a year away. Your 670 will be fine til then.

Hi folks!

I'll be upgrading my GPU this year in preparation for the onslaught of Q4 games, most notably The Witcher 3.
In order to do that, I'll need to upgrade the PSU first since my trusty old Corsair HX520 isn't enough for a new GPU.
I don't know exactly when will I get the new GPU (no sooner than August I think), but I'll get the PSU sometime this spring.
I'll be shooting for a 780/290x or something better if it comes out by then (Maxwell, etc.)

Here's the rig:

ASUS Z87 PRO
Intel Core i5 4670K (nonOC at the moment, will OC at some point in the future if necessary)
Noctua NH-D14
8GB RAM
WD 1TB HDD
DVDRW
Corsair HX520 PSU

gaming @ 1920x1200.

Is Corsair still a good brand? Corsiar TX 750 would be enough and future-proof? I won't go SLI/Crossfire.
You should be fine with a quality 550w unit. 650/750 wouldn't hurt of course.

Don't think Corsair's are typically a recommended brand, though. Go with Seasonic, Antec, or XFX.

kharma45

Well, finally pulled the trigger on my build. Here is what I got so far

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 Black ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1086.52
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-09 22:21 EST-0500)

I'm going to either get Windows 7 or 8.1 cheap from reddit (Windows 7 unless there is a -really- good reason to go Windows 8.1), and i'm skipping out on the cooler because I don't plan on overclocking in the near future- i bought the K chip and Z motherboard as a "just in case" factor, and i'll buy a fan down the line if need be.

I have 170 dollars in Amazon credit to get the SSD and the HDD for this, as well as some sort of wireless card, and possibly a keyboard (I have a crappy one, might want to upgrade to something nicer). Any suggestions on how best to spend that money?

Go for 8.1. It's faster, has full DX 11.1 support and will be supported with future versions and it's just a better all around OS.

As for your build, avoid that stupidly tall RAM. I'd save a few bob with the Gigabyte D3H motherboard unless you really want the Asus. Swapped your PSU too, for a single GPU you don't need all that power.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($226.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 Black ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1019.52
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-10 06:56 EST-0500)

I put mine down to 45°C. But at the same time i have to enter a prefered level for the fan from 1-10. Which one is stronger? Prefered °C or prefered level of the fan? (ASRock 970 extreme3)

I would imagine 10 is the strongest fan level.

MOBO= Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU= Intel i5-3570K
GPU= EVGA GTX670
HD= Western Digital 1TB
Drive= LG DVD

I wouldn't go SLI on 650w. You could do it but I'd prefer 750w. I'd stick with what you've got until the 20nm cards.

If you haven't overclocked your CPU do that, and if you need a good cooler (that is if you're running the stock Intel one) get the Hyper 212.

Hi folks!

Here's the rig:

ASUS Z87 PRO
Noctua NH-D14
8GB RAM
WD 1TB HDD
DVDRW
Corsair HX520 PSU

gaming @ 1920x1200.

Your PSU is still fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think Corsair's are typically a recommended brand, though. Go with Seasonic, Antec, or XFX.

They're fine. They're budget PSUs (CX line) aren't great and you can generally do better for the price, but their other ones are solid. Don't follow PSUs much but I know at one point some of their PSUs were rebranded Seasonics.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have my PC hooked up to my TV and will also be hooking up a monitor so I can still game when people are watching TV. For simplicity I would like to use HDMI for both connections, but only have 1 HDMI out. Can anyone recommend a HDMI switch that will allow me to easily switch between the two? I see lots of 2 input - 1 output switches, will these work in reverse?

HoosTrax

What was the MSRP of the 290x supposed to be? I'm seeing them at $600, which is a better deal than a 780ti or the 780 Classified I guess, but is it supposed to be lower than that?

Zaph

CM getting into the minimalist ITX cube game

But are there any with the smart layout of the Prodigy and made of aluminium? Would gladly pay double if it meant not having a steel and plastic case (I miss my old Lian-Li full ATX...).

Smokey

Frigging love used parts.

i3 3220 for $30.

Now what to do with it.

Frame it

Is it bad that I like the Thermaltake Level 10? Especially the LE White edition. After that Razer prototype.. I've been looking at videos of it. Seems like it's been out for awhile but looks sweet.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this NH-D14 is definitely gone once I have reason to upgrade my CPU + motherboard.

Doing anything in the case is a pain in the ass with that thing in there. Broke the little clip on the end of the PCI-e slot trying to get my old GPU out because there was so little space between the cooler and the GPU. Not really a big deal, but it still pissed me off.

CM getting into the minimalist ITX cube game

But are there any with the smart layout of the Prodigy and made of aluminium? Would gladly pay double if it meant not having a steel and plastic case (I miss my old Lian-Li full ATX...).
Look at the Corsair Obsidian 250D as well, similar sort of layout just not sure what height CPU cooler will fit.

bubu

Yeah, this NH-D14 is definitely gone once I have reason to upgrade my CPU + motherboard.

Doing anything in the case is a pain in the ass with that thing in there. Broke the little clip on the end of the PCI-e slot trying to get my old GPU out because there was so little space between the cooler and the GPU. Not really a big deal, but it still pissed me off.

Had the same problem taking my 680 out yesterday. Top half of my hand got scratched because of the massive radiator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom