• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I already have a little ITX rig ;) Compact Splash should be done this year.

Though I am expecting another gigabyte ITX board back from warranty soon enough.

Now which case. Hmm

If I had the budget I would offer to take if off your hands. Planning on new GPU's, 4TB HDD, and maybe a Nexus 5 next month.

HYYYYYYYPED!

That is some jump there. Any pics of the actual card? That DCUII cooler is nice. From all I read it's not quite as good as the Windforce or MSI coolers but it's more than adequate. BF4 should purr with that card and Mantle is coming.

Are you just getting the card or a new rig?

The only things stopping me from going back to AMD is the GSYNC thing but I also don't want to spend big bucks for proprietary tech that only works with one GPU make. That and my current PSU would probably not house 2 non reference 290x's.

If I had the budget I would offer to take if off your hands. Planning on new GPU's, 4TB HDD, and maybe a Nexus 5 next month.

That is some jump there. Any pics of the actual card? That DCUII cooler is nice. From all I read it's not quite as good as the Windforce or MSI coolers but it's more than adequate. BF4 should purr with that card and Mantle is coming.

Are you just getting the card or a new rig?

Hold on, I'm at works so I'll only be able to install it later tonight but I can take it out of the box.

mtodavk

I just picked up the Corsair 540 Air case. Would definitely recommend this case. The cube shape allows for easy cable management, and seperation of the psu from the rest of the pc. Love the SSD mounting tray as well. I had an older versino of the Coolermaster HAF full tower series, but definitely prefer the corsair. Top notch.

Some shots.

img_20140110_1534337dsyr.jpg

img_20140110_153450fmsoj.jpg

img_20140110_15350880sx6.jpg

This isn't the DCU II cooler, didn't even think about that :/ Am i screwed? My previous card wasn't DCU II either even though there was an option for it.

And no, not a new Rig, just the card for now.

kennah

I don't have either in hand yet (motherboard yet to come back from sending it to Gigabyte and I'm counting my craigslist chicken before I go pick it up (but the guy should be holding it for me since I'm grabbing his Settlers of Catan as well)), but once I do I'm open to something that would make us both happy. Especially if you have junk taking up room that I need.

LiquidMetal14

Some shots.

This isn't the DCU II cooler, didn't even think about that :/ Am i screwed? My previous card wasn't DCU II either even though there was an option for it.

You're not screwed but the card will get louder and a little hotter with that reference cooler. Not to burst your bubble but I would consider getting one of the 2 or 3 fan cooled GPU's for your sanity. The noise levels on those AMD coolers are really loud BUT if you can withstand that then you can live with it. For the sake of keeping temps down and longevity, I would consider exchanging it for a non-reference design one like this here. You're in Europe right? That card is about 60 more USD than the non reference but well worth it and priced well below the 780ti but similar in performance.

I don't have either in hand yet (motherboard yet to come back from sending it to Gigabyte and I'm counting my craigslist chicken before I go pick it up (but the guy should be holding it for me since I'm grabbing his Settlers of Catan as well)), but once I do I'm open to something that would make us both happy. Especially if you have junk taking up room that I need.
I have a 670 I'm getting ready to part with.......WINK WINK

Thinking of building a small form factor pc for around $1000. I don't have a monitor, though, so I'm wondering if I should wait for all this Gsync/Freesync stuff to shake out? I want to go all in on a PC setup that, I hope, will last me 3-4 years without any substantial upgrades.

HoosTrax

Some shots.

I loved the three slot version of the DirectCUII that was on my old GTX570 (it literally took up three full PCIe slots and brackets -- it wasn't a standard 2 slot card with an overly thick cooler that intruded into a 3rd slot). But that may have been a one-off -- a oversized cooler on an upper mid-range, non-top-tier card, which resulted in near silence.

kennah

Thinking of building a small form factor pc for around $1000. I don't have a monitor, though, so I'm wondering if I should wait for all this Gsync/Freesync stuff to shake out? I don't want to go all in on a PC setup that, I hope, will last me 3-4 years without any substantial upgrades.

It's so close that yeah you may as well wait and then make an informed decision.

BUT, in the mean time, you can keep an eye open on sales of components that won't change. Keep an eye out for a Seasonic Power Supply to go on sale (as they have been frequently) and once you have your case picked out you can watch out for sales on that as well. Slow and steady cheeps the race!

It's so close that yeah you may as well wait and then make an informed decision.

BUT, in the mean time, you can keep an eye open on sales of components that won't change. Keep an eye out for a Seasonic Power Supply to go on sale (as they have been frequently) and once you have your case picked out you can watch out for sales on that as well. Slow and steady cheeps the race!

Sounds smart. Is there an easy way to keep tabs on prices for components? Like a site or something like that?

kennah

Sounds smart. Is there an easy way to keep tabs on prices for components? Like a site or something like that?

I'm not sure of any sites that do that. You can set up price alerts on New Egg I think? I've found stuff that tracks a lot of sites to be kinda unreliable and often times deals need a coupon code and that doesn't get reflected.

Keep an eye on the thread. Sign up for news letters on the usual suspects (ncix, new egg, amazon).

You should be fine with a quality 550w unit. 650/750 wouldn't hurt of course.

Don't think Corsair's are typically a recommended brand, though. Go with Seasonic, Antec, or XFX.
Your PSU is still fine.
You guys sure? I'm not 100% sure.

My PSU was a beast in its time. Great efficency, modular and pretty robust.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page4.html

It should have ~43A @ 12V rails, right? (520/12=~43.3A)

BUT, looking at these two cards (if I were buying todays I would look at something like this) and their requirements:

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Requirements
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)
Maximum Power Draw 250
Two available 8-pin PCI-E power connectors or four available 6 pin PCI-E power connectors

SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 OC

1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
750 Watt Power Supply is required.
1X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.

This PSU doesn't have 8-pin PCI-E, just two 6-pin. :/

I don't think my PSU can handle these new cards.

eznark

Banned
I loved the three slot version of the DirectCUII that was on my old GTX570 (it literally took up three full PCIe slots and brackets -- it wasn't a standard 2 slot card with an overly thick cooler that intruded into a 3rd slot). But that may have been a one-off -- a oversized cooler on an upper mid-range, non-top-tier card, which resulted in near silence.

Going from a 570 to the 770 and now 780 was so disappointing. That 570 was a fucking monster that just looked impressive. The 780 is dainty in comparison.

mkenyon

Banned
CM getting into the minimalist ITX cube game

But are there any with the smart layout of the Prodigy and made of aluminium? Would gladly pay double if it meant not having a steel and plastic case (I miss my old Lian-Li full ATX...).
CaseLabs S3:

Lian Li PC-Q25:

Abee AS Enclosure W1

Abee Acubic A90

You can buy an aftermarket cooler for it if it's too loud. I'm a big fan of the Prolimatech MK-26.

Naked:

With fans:

Thinking of building a small form factor pc for around $1000. I don't have a monitor, though, so I'm wondering if I should wait for all this Gsync/Freesync stuff to shake out? I want to go all in on a PC setup that, I hope, will last me 3-4 years without any substantial upgrades.
Freesync is just a concept right now, and only offers one of the things that G-Sync does, variable frame rates. It doesn't support going above a monitor's refresh rate (really important), and it doesn't have a ULMB/Lightboost function (best part of G-Sync).

It's cool, but a half baked concept that sucks in comparison, at least right now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I am looking into a ~$600 for the near future.
Needs to do Ultra at 1080p at ~60fps.
What is your guy's advice on this build up?
Build

riflen

You guys sure? I'm not 100% sure.

My PSU was a beast in its time. Great efficency, modular and pretty robust.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article692-page4.html

It should have ~43A @ 12V rails, right? (520/12=~43.3A)

BUT, looking at these two cards (if I were buying todays I would look at something like this) and their requirements:

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Dual Classified w/ EVGA ACX Cooler

Requirements
Minimum of a 600 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.)
Maximum Power Draw 250
Two available 8-pin PCI-E power connectors or four available 6 pin PCI-E power connectors

SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 OC

1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
750 Watt Power Supply is required.
1X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.

This PSU doesn't have 8-pin PCI-E, just two 6-pin. :/

I don't think my PSU can handle these new cards.

These cards will almost certainly come with adapters for molex connectors. Every EVGA card I've bought has done so.

Yep, says so here in the accessories for the card you are looking at:

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/03G-P4-3788.pdf

The power requirement that GPU manufacturers quote is often inflated due to there being so many shite PSUs that can't deliver their quoted power consistently. I'd say give it a shot before getting a new PSU.

Victrix

*beard*
I need to pick up a replacement video card, the fan on my Radeon 6850 is dying.

I don't care about anything cutting edge, what would be a good cheap replacement?

Granadier

I'd swap out the case for something in the OP, but otherwise solid.

Seeing as the 300R is at $60 atm, what would be the point of swapping it out for the 200R or other ones listed in the "Budget" row?

What are the flow characteristics of the other options?

mkenyon

Banned
I need to pick up a replacement video card, the fan on my Radeon 6850 is dying.

I don't care about anything cutting edge, what would be a good cheap replacement?
If it's 3 years old, you can probably have it fixed under warranty.

But, look at the OP and find a price you like. Pick that card.
Seeing as the 300R is at $60 atm, what would be the point of swapping it out for the 200R or other ones listed in the "Budget" row?

What are the flow characteristics of the other options?
The 300R is pretty poorly designed, and not as nice as most of the options in the OP, even at $40 or $50.

*edit*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146108&ignorebbr=1

That's for $56 right now.

You're not screwed but the card will get louder and a little hotter with that reference cooler. Not to burst your bubble but I would consider getting one of the 2 or 3 fan cooled GPU's for your sanity. The noise levels on those AMD coolers are really loud BUT if you can withstand that then you can live with it. For the sake of keeping temps down and longevity, I would consider exchanging it for a non-reference design one like this here. You're in Europe right? That card is about 60 more USD than the non reference but well worth it and priced well below the 780ti but similar in performance.

I have a 670 I'm getting ready to part with.......WINK WINK

A 290 isn't going to be competing with a 780ti. A 290x gets close, but that's really besides the point, no one should be buying a AMD card right now, for gaming, particularly not a reference design. Never a reference design. Wait till the bitcoin thing dies down.

LiquidMetal14

A 290 isn't going to be competing with a 780ti. A 290x gets close, but that's really besides the point, no one should be buying a AMD card right now, for gaming, particularly not a reference design. Never a reference design. Wait till the bitcoin thing dies down.

You're right about the bitcoin thing. That 290 can OC well but I did mistake it for the 290x. The 290 is still very viable. I definitely would advise Metal to consider swapping it for a non reference design.

Victrix

*beard*
Anything sub $150 really, which apparently covers the R7 260xs.

However my mobo only supports pcie 2.0 x8 (one slot is x16, one is x4, apparently having a card that occupies both ends up with it reporting as x8 in software).

Does that mean a mobo replacement for the R7?

Granadier

Zaph

CaseLabs S3:

Lian Li PC-Q25:

Abee AS Enclosure W1

Abee Acubic A90
Thanks. Not a fan of PC-Q25's internals (prefer the Bitfenix/Abee style), but adore the Abee AS. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the UK/EU aside from one German place that imported a bunch and re-sold them for a fortune.

Would happily go up to £150/£175 for a W1.

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you for the tip.
I would prefer a black case if at all possible, so what about the CM N400 listed in the OP?
They have the same case in black as well.

Yeah, N400 would be a good choice too.
Thanks. Not a fan of PC-Q25's internals (prefer the Bitfenix/Abee style), but adore the Abee AS. Unfortunately they don't sell them in the UK/EU aside from one German place that imported a bunch and re-sold them for a fortune.

Would happily go up to £150/£175 for a W1.
There's some GAFers in Japan you could talk to.

Chris R

What would be the best site to look at for reviews of PSUs? I "need" to replace my current PSU with a modular one at some point this year.

Need, because ya know, my build is kinda messy and airflow or something.

garath

What would be the best site to look at for reviews of PSUs? I "need" to replace my current PSU with a modular one at some point this year.

Need, because ya know, my build is kinda messy and airflow or something.

I may be out of touch, but I've always relied on hardocp.com for solid reviews on PSUs and video cards.

kharma45

Anything sub $150 really, which apparently covers the R7 260xs.

However my mobo only supports pcie 2.0 x8 (one slot is x16, one is x4, apparently having a card that occupies both ends up with it reporting as x8 in software).

Does that mean a mobo replacement for the R7?

I'd try to scrounge an extra $10 and get a 660 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Anything below it or a 7850 I don't really rate as a good value buy.

MadSexual

So much to my surprise, I seem to have ordered the wrong monitor in November. I thought the one I picked out was IPS, when it appears it is not. Rather, only one of the monitors in the series is, but apparently that means Amazon puts up the IPS tags for everything else as well. More disturbing is how I managed to find myself with this one even after using very specific filters in PCPartPicker several times. I'm not sure where the miscommunication took place or even if it was entirely my fault at the time.

I'm kicking myself hard over this.

Anyway, my order still qualifies for a return or exchange with Amazon even though I've been using it for three weeks.

What is the recommended IPS in the $200-250 range around here?

Read the OP: VG23AH isn't available from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom