• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a question for the HTPC crowd. What do you find is the best way to have audio wirelessly setup for gaming, so as to now disturb the whole house?

AJLma

Hi, I could use an opinion on a monitor (more of an IPS vs TN that's better in everything else issue). I'm stuck between the VX229H (21.5", IPS, 5 ms response time) and the VX238H (23", TN, 1 ms response time). Other than those differences, the two are pretty much identical except that the VX238H is also cheaper after rebate by about $20. I don't want the price difference to play a role though and just would like to know which of the two would be preferred. My desk is a bit on the small side and I'm also unsure if I would rather have the larger or smaller screen (previous monitor was 21.5", no real complaints, but unsure if I would prefer a larger monitor) from a 2-3 foot distance (~2 ft while sitting up, ~3 while reclining; both 1920x1080). Thank you.

IMO, on a 60Hz panel the IQ and color of an IPS more than make up for the drawbacks. 5ms is still a great response time, and I've never noticed "IPS Glow" or blur gaming at 60FPS.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm kind of curious about VA panels. I already have an IPS and TN display in a side by side configuration and they are both lousy for dark content. I've read that VA panels are significantly better in this regard and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. I've had to give up playing PC games at my desk thanks to LCDs and I wouldn't mind finding a reason to enjoy it again. While I dislike blurring, the main thing keeping me from enjoying anything on LCDs comes down to the very poor representation of black and darker colors as a result.

Does anyone know of any OLED monitors? I've yet to find any real information on them and would love to buy such a thing given the chance.

KTT

Question about triple monitor set-up...

I have an R7 265 and I have three displays that I want to hook up to it. Here they are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889623018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254040

Here's a link to the video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202096

What's the best way to hook them all up (if it's even possible)? I'll probably do HDMI to the 50" TV since I want sound coming from it.

M3z_

Cross Post

Mini ITX Gaming Rig Components NO CASE $525 Shipped

All Components bought December/January:

EVGA ACX 750ti FTW edition
Intel i3 4340
Asrock H81m-ITX
Seagate 240 GB SSD
8GB Kingston Beast 2400mhz
Corsair 430M Modular PSU

SSD & Ram not in picture, because currently in rig
FnXyrF1l.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2776219

Card overclocks to 1415mhz stable
http://imgur.com/a/c0Sy7

Just needs a case, something like this would be perfect. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DRA4F06/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Durante

I'm kind of curious about VA panels. I already have an IPS and TN display in a side by side configuration and they are both lousy for dark content. I've read that VA panels are significantly better in this regard and I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this. I've had to give up playing PC games at my desk thanks to LCDs and I wouldn't mind finding a reason to enjoy it again. While I dislike blurring, the main thing keeping me from enjoying anything on LCDs comes down to the very poor representation of black and darker colors as a result.
IPS and TN are usually stuck in the 700:1 to 1000:1 range for contrast, so yeah their blacks suck. PVA was always better in that regard, and since cPVA a few years ago there are actually PVA monitors with measured static contrast ratios of over 5000:1. And as long as you are fine with low resolution (that is, 1080p) and willing to spend some money you can now actually get blur-free PVA (I've seen a measured static contrast ratio of 5138:1 for that one).

Does anyone know of any OLED monitors? I've yet to find any real information on them and would love to buy such a thing given the chance.
There are OLED monitors, but only for pro/industry use.

onken

I recently got Arkham Origins on sale and was surprised to find that I couldn't max it out at 1080p on my 4770k and 780Ti - is that correct or is there something I'm doing wrong?

kennah

I recently got Arkham Origins on sale and was surprised to find that I couldn't max it out at 1080p on my 4770k and 780Ti - is that correct or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Turn down some settings. A lot of the things you'll find in games unnecessarily slow it down without adding much image quality.

riflen

just installed my new 770 GTX, having an issue with my HDTV in detecting maximum resolution in games, it maxes out at 720p when the TV used to be able to let games detect everything up to 1080i. And while in windows the computer can detect resolutions up to 1080i just not in games like AC4 and Crysis3.

Anyone else has this problem, or know a fix?

It's surprising that it worked with your previous GPU. The refresh rate of an interlaced resolution is half that of a progressive one. 1080i is probably refreshing at 29hz and some games will not display resolutions with a refresh rate below 50 or 60hz, even if those resolutions are usable in Windows.

PC displays have not supported interlaced modes for donkey's years, so developers will not bother supporting and testing them.

You could try Nvidia Control Panel > Change Resolution > Customize > Enable resolutions not exposed by the display.

I've also read that some games require 1080i to be set using a config file or startup option, as it's not selectable in the game menus. You could look into that.

I found reducing some of the DX11 specific stuff helped me, I'm running a 4670k with a 7950. Only built it in October, to get to Christmas and not being able to run things on full whack ALREADY was pretty infuriating to say the least. This is WITHOUT AA and AF.

capture card

You don't need one. It might improve things, but you can compress the video on the various hardware accelerate compression/decompression engines found in pretty much every PC nowadays. Set your streaming software to use Intel's Quicksync, AMD's Video Codec Engine, or Nvidia's NVENC instead of the CPU or GPU. There should be minimal performance impact.

2San

I think it's finally time to get a GTX780 (DirectCU II) for 440 euro.

I waited for a while since I thought I had problem with my PC and thought I needed replacement parts. I was also wondering what would happen with haswell.

Just to be sure that's a good upgrade for my current system right?

current mobo/cpu/gpu=p8p67/2500k@4,5/HD6950

edit: nvm just ordered it.

You don't need one. It might improve things, but you can compress the video on the various hardware accelerate compression/decompression engines found in pretty much every PC nowadays. Set your streaming software to use Intel's Quicksync, AMD's Video Codec Engine, or Nvidia's NVENC instead of the CPU or GPU. There should be minimal performance impact.

I'll give the software route a try I suppose. What software should I be using? I have a 280x btw if that matters any.

Zeus7

It's not going to hurt anything to put everything together and then put those in last. Although, ideally, you put everything together first. Just make sure you have room when you put everything in your case. Like don't plug your PSU wires up and you should be okay. You're going to have to put your RAM in before the CPU cooler though most likely. I guess it depends on the motherboard but I know on mine the EVO almost overlaps my RAM. Keep in mind you'll probably have to take the back plate off your motherboard for the EVO so you might not want to put your mobo in the case yet unless you don't mind taking it out later to put the CPU cooler on.

Thanks for the reply, I think I'll just wait until tomorrow to build it then, there is no rush, I am just excited about my first build!

John Blade

First time doing this but was wondering if anyone will give me an rough idea of item to buy with the budget I am in

Budget: $700 minimum $800 max (CDN) Post Tax
Computer parts: Have to be in Canada Computer site (http://www.canadacomputers.com/)

Some Limitation
All the computer parts have to fit in Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX Computer Case
Don't need to buy HD as I have one already (SSD) for this small rig.
Need a DVD drive for my work
Don't need liquid cooling. I might use the fan that is include in the case.
Need a video card that is quite decent as I am going to use this for minor video editing I do for personal work.

Limited time: Try to get some choice sometime tomorrow around noon here in Eastern Time.

The rest of the stuff you can go crazy but have to keep the budget around $700 but no more than $800.

Bump for this.

Oxn

Man Im so conflicted on what to do.

buy a 780 now, or wait for a probably late release of 880.

The 780 cost 500 now, but you know with Nvidia price gouging the 880 will likely release around 800 now.

My 6870 is getting really old, and Im using a 1440p monitor.

2San

The 780 cost 500 now, but you know with Nvidia price gouging the 880 will likely release around 800 now.

Well my logic for getting the 780 now rather than later. Is because my reference 6950 is loud. Summer is coming and I'm starting to notice the thing even when watching youtube.

bro1

Banned

Probably poorly optimized. Use the Geforce Experience to see how that works for you.

Nakazato

Got my i5 and it has intel thermal paste on it. should I trust this paste for now or just wait for my arctic ? Not planning to OC yet. But just kinda weary.

Ellite25

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the bigger upgrade is Pascal a couple years from now. I'd say go 780 and then upgrade again with Pascal if you feel it's necessary.

LordAlu

Finally got a cf card so I can take some pictures. Here's the final product after cleaning and reassembly
VuWwFaT.jpg
Whoa, nice! What board is that, I can't remember a board where the dual-channel slots are next to one another rather than separated? Prefer that to the separation.

Water

Can a brotha get a product recommendation up in here?
Budget?

At least Sennheiser and AKG have serious wireless headphones. Logitech has wireless headsets (= mic included). I haven't researched these very closely, but would expect to have to pay about $150 minimum for a good pair.

scogoth

That is very sexy.

Thanks!

Whoa, nice! What board is that, I can't remember a board where the dual-channel slots are next to one another rather than separated? Prefer that to the separation.

That is a Maximus V Extreme with EK waterblocks and blacked out with a sharpie. Unfortunately I had to clean my loop out of algae and somewhere along the way two of my RAM slots stopped working so thats why they are side-by-side. I really cant figure out how I did that other then maybe an accidental bent pin when re installing the CPU?

Smokey

I'm not a lot into competitive MP, no. I might try it a bit here and there, but for the most part I stick to RPGs, strategy, simulation, and other single-player games (including some FPSs or FPS/RPG hybrids, open-world action games like Sleeping Dogs, AC, and Just Cause 2, etc.). I edited my previous post a bit to better illustrate my problem; being not just on whether IPS is worth is the response time hit, but also regarding which size would be more proper for me as well. Thanks for the reply.

I would go with IPS then. The colors and viewing angles are better and the added response time vs Tn won't be that big of a deal. As far as screen size 23-24“ would do you good.

Firebrand

If you've got PhysX maxed out try dropping that a bit. I hear the effects are cool in Origins but PhysX usually comes with a pretty steep cost in performance.

Still sounds kinda crazy a 780Ti wouldn't be able to run what's essentially a last-gen game maxed out, so yeah, maybe just poorly optimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom