• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfoul

Backplate has no use unless you WC.

It's a nice bonus to have on a video card. The backplate reinforces the PCB and reduces warping, which I've seen on long cards. A tail end sag can also cause warping of the PCIE slot. The backplate can also be added insurance in case of a small cpu water cooling leak.

Zeus7

Here is my first ever build, everything is ordered and on the way. Is there anything I should of done differently?

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Seidon 120V
Thermal Compound - Cooler Master HTK-002 0.01g
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150
Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD
Video Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Case - Antec P280 ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply - Corsair 600W ATX12V
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Monitor - Asus VG248QE 24.0"
Wireless Network Adapter - TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 £25.98
Keyboard - Corsair Raptor K30
Mouse - Gigabyte GM-M6900 Wired Optical

SpyGuy239

Hi GAF, thinking of getting another Samsung SSD.

Always been using the Pros, which have been steady and reliable.

Not sure if I should stick witht he pro or go with the Evo with the "lower quality" nand?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

riflen

My roommate is looking for a new mouse. He'd like something good for gaming, but he would like driver support in linux. I glanced around and only saw windows support for most mice so he wouldn't get adjustable dpi settings and such which stink. Does anyone know of any linux driver supported gaming mice?

Thanks.

Does he dual boot Windows or own another Windows PC? It's expensive, but if he does he could use the Steelseries Sensei.

The mouse has an ARM CPU and non-volatile storage inside. You can create your profiles under Windows using their software, then copy the profiles to the mouse's storage (I think it can hold around 5).

You're able to switch between the profiles using one of the buttons and the LCD display on the base of the mouse. Works regardless of OS. It's also one of the best mice available sensor-wise.

KJ869

Where do these people live with 17C ambient? I've never been in a house that was less than 21C. 17C is so cold! I assume lots of air conditioning.

Probaly england or similar weather. It seems that ambient is colder in countrys where there is no need for real insulation. Thats why Scandinavians are always so horrified when they see housebuilding shows from USA or Britain.

S0N0S

Ordering parts later today. Last minute sanity check. Tell me how I'm about to fuck up or if all's good.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.00 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($113.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($111.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($146.50 @ Newegg)
Total: $1264.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 06:20 EDT-0400)

GPU is 660ti from current build and OS SSD is an 840 Pro.

Hi GAF, thinking of getting another Samsung SSD.

Always been using the Pros, which have been steady and reliable.

Not sure if I should stick witht he pro or go with the Evo with the "lower quality" nand?

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

EVO, the lifetime will not be a problem and there is barely a difference in speed.

Kiru

Looks great. However, the power supply is a little too expensive. And I don't like WD Greens... they have issues.

Other than that, yeah.
Used a WD Green in my NAS a long time ago (already a mistake because it only does shit every few seconds). One day that shitty drive got corrupted and slowed the whole NAS down. Luckily I was still within warranty. I got a 2,5TB back from WD for my 2TB one, at least I got more storage there... but the refurbished replacememt drive is still in my closet somewhere because I can't trust green drives anymore. The replacement drive doesn't have the usual Green label and is called "Black Dragon" or some shit on the document that came with it. Hope I can sell it on eBay. Would anyone use a Green Drive for storage AND games on their PC? Just out of interest.

S0N0S

Looks great. However, the power supply is a little too expensive. And I don't like WD Greens... they have issues.

Other than that, yeah.

Used a WD Green in my NAS a long time ago (already a mistake because it only does shit every few seconds). One day that shitty drive got corrupted and slowed the whole NAS down. Luckily I was still within warranty. I got a 2,5TB back from WD for my 2TB one, at least I got more storage there... but the refurbished replacememt drive is still in my closet somewhere because I can't trust green drives anymore. The replacement drive doesn't have the usual Green label and is called "Black Dragon" or some shit on the document that came with it. Hope I can sell it on eBay. Would anyone use a Green Drive for storage AND games on their PC? Just out of interest.

Thanks for the feedback! I've had great results with WD in the past, but I'll go ahead and hold off on that part, as I thought I might.

As for the psu, I wanted full modular Seasonic.

kharma45

Ordering parts later today. Last minute sanity check. Tell me how I'm about to fuck up or if all's good.

GPU is 660ti from current build and OS SSD is an 840 Pro.

Swap the PSU to this http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...vpn=P1-750B-BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1020

Aerocool VS-92 ATX Part-Mesh USB 3.0 Gaming Case
£40ish
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BZNAZGU/

Vs

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004RGVRX2/

The bottom one is apparently a steal but the top one looks cooler. What would you lot get?

Yeah Source 210 is a much better shout than either of those two.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Would anyone use a Green Drive for storage AND games on their PC? Just out of interest.

I believe WD Greens are intended for desktop-based archiving, or for primary-partition use on a general-use PC. As in, if you're building a desktop for your parents then it'd be an alright choice.

I personally use WD Blacks in my desktop for storing games.

Irobot82

I use a WD Green in my build. SSD for OS and a few of my prime games, then the rest gets put on the green. No problems with it at all.

scogoth

There are so many different things that I don't know about in Event Viewer that it's confusing to figure out what's wrong with my PC.

Should I screencap the Event Viwer window and post it here?

Screen cap any logs that have a red exclamation next to them

What else do you guys use your 5.25" bays for other than an optical drive? I saw a cool little drawer but that was about it.

Mine stay empty. Never thought to put them to any use. I guess I have one of my SSDs tucked in there just because it fit easier than in a standard HDD bay location.

derder

Have:
2x XFX 6950s in CF

1x 1440p Korean Dual DVI
1x Sony CRT VGA
1x 120Hz Displayport
1x Plasma HDMI

Is there any possible combination that would get them all to work?

kharma45

What's so good about it?

Better build quality and should be easier to build in, looks better too.

ok last ps question from me ordering today

Which should I go with

Seasonic 620 +80 bronze

500 evga +80 which someone pointed out to me a few days ago

might do a light OC to the i5 and my 270

The Seasonic out of those two. If you don't care about modularity then this EVGA is a better buy over the one you've linked for $5 more http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=100-B1-0500-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1020

Okay, I think I'm going to get that computer I mentioned earlier. My next question is best 3D solution. I have a Mitsubishi 3D DLP, and apparently unless you buy the 3D Vision kit, you cannot attain full 1080p 3D on an Nvidia card?

Would buying Tridef allow for full 1080p 3D?

scogoth

Okay, I think I'm going to get that computer I mentioned earlier. My next question is best 3D solution. I have a Mitsubishi 3D DLP, and apparently unless you buy the 3D Vision kit, you cannot attain full 1080p 3D on an Nvidia card?

Would buying Tridef allow for full 1080p 3D?

No don't buy tridef. It is not true 3D. Nvidia drivers actually split the in game camera in two to provide actual rendered 3D. Tridef fakes it by applying a post render perspective shift to approximate a second camera.

Nvidias solution is the best.

Tabasco

Firefox is still crashing on my PC. :(

After searching through the Event Log, I can't find anything that's related to Firefox. I would love to use Firefox if it never crashed.

Here is a log pic for Titanfall:

qBZ75sk.jpg

Nakazato

Better build quality and should be easier to build in, looks better too.

The Seasonic out of those two. If you don't care about modularity then this EVGA is a better buy over the one you've linked for $5 more http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usa...=100-B1-0500-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1020

Thanks picked up the Seasonic. Was good value since it was 129.99

Looks like monday Ill be installing a PS i5 2500k and a 270 good times a head

Anyone have an Video of installing a power supply when the mobo is already installed

ACE 1991

Does anyone know when the line of Nvidia's GPUs comes out? I'm looking to upgrade from my 1GB 6950 by the end of August or so and wondering if I should just wait it out for a hardware refresh.

No don't buy tridef. It is not true 3D. Nvidia drivers actually split the in game camera in two to provide actual rendered 3D. Tridef fakes it by applying a post render perspective shift to approximate a second camera.

Nvidias solution is the best.

Hmm, I currently use Tridef on my AMD card and have been relatively satisfied. I guess I'm more wondering if I can replicate the 1080p (even if that's half-1080p per eye) I currently get. I've heard there are artificially imposed 720p limits on Nvidia unless you buy the whole 3d vision kit.

I'd love to get it, but I have so many pairs of 3d glasses already, and one IR emitter already on my tv, so I'd rather not buy a $125 kit that includes mandatory glasses and an emitter.

x3sphere

Does anyone know when the line of Nvidia's GPUs comes out? I'm looking to upgrade from my 1GB 6950 by the end of August or so and wondering if I should just wait it out for a hardware refresh.

I wouldn't expect any new GPUs from Nvidia in August. Late Q4 - early 2015 is the rumored timeline.

paskowitz

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($153.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
+ HDD I already have 1TB 7200rpm WD, 3TB Seagate 5400rpm
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($110.98 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: I will be using an TV. Pioneer Kuro to be exact.
Total: $1121.87

Thoughts? Anything I should change?

Basically, this will be a dedicated PC sim racing setup. I just want to run 1080p, 60fps, high-max settings, medium to high AA.

BIGWORM

x-post from TechGAF thread:

Need a bit of help this time, Tech GAF.

Some of you may or may not remember I lost my past rig in a fire end of January. Well, I pulled the hard drives from my rig, and my brother in law held onto them until today. I think my main question is, can SATA drives be properly powered by a USB 3.0 dongle? My SATA drives wouldn't spin up, but my SSD had no problem spinnin up, being read/wwrote to and formatting. Would I need an enclosure for the SATA drives for a proper read, or are they proper fried?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ixG2
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ixG2/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3ixG2/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
+ HDD I already have 1TB 7200rpm WD, 3TB Seagate 5400rpm
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($110.98 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: I will be using an TV. Pioneer Kuro to be exact.
Total: $1166.86

Thoughts? Anything I should change?

Basically, this will be a dedicated PC sim racing setup. I just want to run 1080p, 60fps, high-max settings, medium to high AA.

Reconsider the case. Get one of those listed in the OP.

paskowitz

I assume that Nvidia will drop the bomb at Computex.

And knowing AMD they'll announce their stuff 3-6 months later.

Yeah, but when will that announced product be available for purchase? Will the announcement itself affect the price of current cards by a significant amount?

Updated build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper (White) ATX Full Tower Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1190.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 15:33 EDT-0400)

Reconsider the case.

Any (cheaper) recommendations?

Thanks I might go with the Evo over the pro.

Also should I stick with Samsung, or risk the venture into something else?

EVO is perfectly fine. Imo the only viable alternative is the M500, which is cheaper, has power loss protection but is also slower which you might not even notice.

LilJoka

x-post from TechGAF thread:

Need a bit of help this time, Tech GAF.

Some of you may or may not remember I lost my past rig in a fire end of January. Well, I pulled the hard drives from my rig, and my brother in law held onto them until today. I think my main question is, can SATA drives be properly powered by a USB 3.0 dongle? My SATA drives wouldn't spin up, but my SSD had no problem spinnin up, being read/wwrote to and formatting. Would I need an enclosure for the SATA drives for a proper read, or are they proper fried?

HDD need 12v to spin up, and USB is only supplying 5v. Many 3.5" hdd enclosures come with a 12v adaptor to solve this. Why don't you install them internally inside a PC?

paskowitz

Cheaper build, closer to the price I was really willy to pay. Thoughts? Mid tower too compact for this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.97 @ TigerDirect)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Tachyon 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1049.89
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-29 16:29 EDT-0400)

Tablo

Price to performance is a little better when factoring in the mobo for Ivy. Also, the performance difference to Haswell is negligible from what I have read.

Updated to Mid tower. That should be about right?

Don't do that, get Haswell.
You can also wait for the refresh in May/June and the new Devil Canyon chips, Z97 is coming soon :)

Updated to Mid tower. That should be about right?
The size is good, but geez, the price is a bit excessive. I bought a Cooler Master HAF 912 (a mid-tower case that's in all honesty a half-tower) for less than half the price of your current case. If you do find yourself hauling your PC to LAN events a lot, then it might be worth it, but there are probably cheaper options with equal cooling optimization out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom