• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pratfall

Don't tell tha to the people who swear anything above 60Hz isn't noticeable. I would love to have better image quality like an Ultrasharp but I can't lose 120Hz.

It is less about look a lot of the times honestly. In Fallout NV, the game FEELS completely different at 120Hz with vsync off, just super smooth and responsive. It doesn't hurt that some games look amazing at 120HZ (dota 2), but the drop in image quality and color accuracy was too much for me to tolerate.

I have GIGABYTE version and I am happy with it. Go for it.

For PSU, I would buy something that's bit more powerful. 500w at least. You don't want to get bottlenecked by your PSU if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Yeah, I totally understand that. I'm going to try and ride out my 430W for as long as I can, and probably the next time I upgrade something in my rig I'll go ahead and upgrade the PSU as well, go to the 700-1000W range.

M3z_

I dunno, maybe they have problems with in-door or outdoor light causing horrific amounts of glare and rendering the screen unusable?

Then people should adjust their setup not to have issues with light sources hitting your monitor. Placing AG coating on monitors does terrible things to color and I much rather have great color and take the time to setup my computer room in a way that considers where the light sources are than sacrifice image quality so I can have a window behind me or a lamp aimed at my monitor. I'm not even a snob about these things usually just every time I gave ever seen gloss never to AG it blows my mind how anyone thinks AG worth it. I mean I can understand why AG exists, I just don't understand how the majority of people prefer it.

paskowitz

Pretty confident with this as a final setup. Price is exactly where I need it to be. The case will be a longer term investment, but after seeing it in person, I think it is worth the cost. I figure I'll just upgrade to Broadwell a little after it comes out and then do my upgrading then and just skip the mid cycle refresh now.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Team Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($309.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $975.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-30 22:38 EDT-0400)

NoRéN

If you haven't done so, sign up for a free trial of shoprunner for free 2 day shipping from newegg and free returns if needed.

Pretty confident with this as a final setup. Price is exactly where I need it to be. The case will be a longer term investment, but after seeing it in person, I think it is worth the cost. I figure I'll just upgrade to Broadwell a little after it comes out and then do my upgrading then and just skip the mid cycle refresh now.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Solid build. I would recommend the Crucial M500 or Samsung 840 EVO over that SSD though. You also want a mechanical drive for things like Music and Movies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Working and school and taxes and
dota
make for bad PC update schedule.
Hey guys shouldn't the OP be updated to include the new Corsair Carbide Spec series cases? They look pretty good and they are not too expensive.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/compan...th-a-trio-of-carbide-series-spec-gaming-cases
Jesus those are ugly, I mean just don't fool yourself and buy Cooler Master HAF at that point
lol
I'll do a quick glance at them, but Corsair so far isn't as nice in the low end imo besides the military style case at a decent price point, but I'm not as much a case enthusiast as some others here.

Tablo

NoRéN;106386137 said:
I was able to save all my music and movies to my ssd just fine. :p

Try and do that when you struggle to store your nearly 4 TBs worth of it :p
#thestruggle

Gimme them 5(+) TB drives, now. D:

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

CPU: Intel Core i5-3340 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($162.69 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $732.10
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 07:01 EDT-0400)

I don't even know what to think of this

kiyomi

CPU: Intel Core i5-3340 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($162.69 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($94.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $732.10
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 07:01 EDT-0400)

I don't even know what to think of this

Here's a smaller form factor idea (as well as slightly improved CPU/GPU combo);

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($73.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($172.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $725.86
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-31 07:21 EDT-0400)

You could get a cheaper case and ditch the DVD drive to save you ~$50 which you could put towards a better GPU or to save up for a 120GB SSD.

paskowitz

Solid build. I would recommend the Crucial M500 or Samsung 840 EVO over that SSD though. You also want a mechanical drive for things like Music and Movies.

Any particular reason to go with the Crucial or Samsung?

Also, I failed to mention I have one 1TB 7200rpm, one 3TB 5400rpm and one 500gb Hybrid drive. So I am all set for space. Monitor will be my Pioneer Kuro plasma.

musicjunkie

Neo Member
What's the best aftermarket cpu cooler if I'm not overclocking?

Basically my i5-4670 stock fan gets very loud anytime it hits above 40 degrees (which it seems to do at completely random times). Reapplied thermal paste and still the same.

212 Evo seems to be the obvious choice but anything else worthwhile below $50? More interested in something quiet since my temps seem fine (45-50 at most while gaming) but just hate the fan revving up and down.

LilJoka

What's the best aftermarket cpu cooler if I'm not overclocking?

Basically my i5-4670 stock fan gets very loud anytime it hits above 40 degrees (which it seems to do at completely random times). Reapplied thermal paste and still the same.

212 Evo seems to be the obvious choice but anything else worthwhile below $50? More interested in something quiet since my temps seem fine (45-50 at most while gaming) but just hate the fan revving up and down.

212 is really good even for overclocking, so maybe you could step it down a notch, just get one of their cheaper heatsinks, they will all be better than stock and silent.

Smokey

New build for a friend. mITX in the EVGA Hadron. Loving the case so far, very hard to build in but that just makes it more fun.

What triple monitor stand are you using? In the pic the right monitor is away from the center. I'm assuming you can move it back and forth on that stand?

believe me, that Fractal Define R4 case is outstanding, you will love it, it's worth every penny. I bought it two years ago (not the windowed model) and I couldn't be more satisfied, it's been a perfect replacement for my old Antec Solo

laoni

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3hQMM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3hQMM/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/3hQMM/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.00)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Value 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.00)
Storage: Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($299.00)
Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.00)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider 600W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor ($179.00)
Total: $1452.00
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-01 01:00 EST+1100)

Well, this is what I ended up deciding on~ Price is in AUD, and some of the stuff I got isn't readily available in the US, but they both did well in reviews (GPU and case)

Think of the Nanoxia as the R4's German twin XD Should be ordering in a few days when I get paid :D

Pachimari

Hmm, I'm thinking I need a better monitor now that I build my first Gamer PC. I might have $400 max and looking at the OP, the QNIX QX2710 seems to be my best bet?

Unfortunately it's not available here in Denmark, but I might take the chance and order from Amazon.com.

What are the strengths of it? 1440p and no blur?

LilJoka

Bit of fun
73ca83a9_12925ghz.jpeg

Hmm, I'm thinking I need a better monitor now that I build my first Gamer PC. I might have $400 max and looking at the OP, the QNIX QX2710 seems to be my best bet?

Unfortunately it's not available here in Denmark, but I might take the chance and order from Amazon.com.

What are the strengths of it? 1440p and no blur?

You should check out the thread and maybe other resources about "Korean monitors". They are not bad, but you have to know what you are getting into.

Also, realize that you would probably have to play import costs.

The advantages are that they are screens with very good quality for a much lower cost. The single input versions also have low latency and I think it is possible to overclock that model, and is one of the few with a decent chance to clock to 120 Hz.

The disadvantages are no image options on the monitor, shoddy build quality, more possibilities of some screen issues, availability since they are imported, possibly single input.

Pachimari

You should check out the thread and maybe other resources about "Korean monitors". They are not bad, but you have to know what you are getting into.

Also, realize that you would probably have to play import costs.

The advantages are that they are screens with very good quality for a much lower cost. The single input versions also have low latency and I think it is possible to overclock that model, and is one of the few with a decent chance to clock to 120 Hz.

The disadvantages are no image options on the monitor, shoddy build quality, more possibilities of some screen issues, availability since they are imported, possibly single input.
Hmm, now I wonder which monitor to get. It'll be primarily for gaming and I would prefer one with 1440p.

What about something like this Dell UltraSharp U2713HM?

Or should I wait for these: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q / Asus VG248QE ?

I'm wondering how big of an upgrade a 27" 1440p is over a 23" 1080p. The increase in PPI is only 13 (109 vs 96).

Would it be a better idea to skip 1440p and wait for 4K with better GPUs and HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3? A 28" puts the PPI at 157 which is a significant increase.

I should point out that this will be used for gaming and I'm asking because the ROG Swift should drop in the next 3 months.

scogoth

I'm wondering how big of an upgrade a 27" 1440p is over a 23" 1080p. The increase in PPI is only 13 (109 vs 96).

Would it be a better idea to skip 1440p and wait for 4K with better GPUs and HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3? A 28" puts the PPI at 157 which is a significant increase.

What use? Even with the new GPUs from AMD and Nvidia you won't be able to game at 4k on a single GPU at reasonable frame rates. For productivity it will be amazing.

ACE 1991

I wouldn't expect any new GPUs from Nvidia in August. Late Q4 - early 2015 is the rumored timeline.

Okay, thanks. Anything new from AMD or do both companies refresh their hardware at roughly the same time? My plan is to hopefully sell my 1GB 6950 in August for at least 50 bucks then put that towards a GPU I'll spend $300 on. Alternatively maybe I should stick it out until new games come out that my old card won't be able to handle as well.

Is there a huge difference between the 3D Vision 2 and 1? I'd like to just get the cheaper kit.

Also, is that the cheapest solution to game in 3D when I already have a 3DC-1000 kit, glasses, emitter, etc. for my Mitsubishi DLP?

Hmm, now I wonder which monitor to get. It'll be primarily for gaming and I would prefer one with 1440p.

What about something like this Dell UltraSharp U2713HM?

Or should I wait for these: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q / Asus VG248QE ?

The Korean monitors are not bad at all, but you have to know what you are getting into.

The VG248QE is a real gaming monitor. It has 144 Hz as you can see but I do not know whether you care about that. It also has the possibility to support GSync and it has low input lag. But it is 1080P and looks way much worse than an IPS monitor.

The Dell is probably a good monitor, I don't know anything about it's specifics. It has the resolution you want but is not an IPS panel and will also look worse with colors.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have you guys ever replaced/worked on the bearings in your fans? My PC is just 18 months old but has started to make the slightest little rattle sound. It's so subtle it makes me question it's even there.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
As a guy getting ready to pull the trigger on the rest of my Fractal Node build, is there any reason to wait for the Haswell refresh (not E)?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'll ask this on tonymac also...

for those of you dual booting OSes (whether linux or OSX hackintosh) is it just not worth it to grab one 500GB SSD and put both OSes on there, or is it really not that bad? It seems like I could get both speed and value by going to a 500GB SSD if it's not a big deal at all to put Windows 7 and OS X Mavericks on two separate partitions. Not to mention it means I only need one internal 2.5" bay for small form factor (though I still have a GTX 770). Anyway, just seeing if anyone has thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom