• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

You can do it either way really. The R4 should have enough room to install after and a cut out behind. I'd do it after installing the motherboard because you'll have a bitch of a time reaching some mounting screws with it in there.

nicjac

Thanks, I will first put the motherboard in first.

Generally, is it ok to put the motherboard in before installing the CPU/Ram? I don't have my CPU yet but I would like to have as much done as possible before it arrives.

kennah

Thanks, I will first put the motherboard in first.

Generally, is it ok to put the motherboard in before installing the CPU/Ram? I don't have my CPU yet but I would like to have as much done as possible before it arrives.
Either way. Some like to put the cpu and ram in before mounting the motherboard. Some don't. It doesn't matter in the end. If you aren't super comfortable doing this then mount the cpu an ram outside where you can get a closer look at what you are doing.

Alexalder

Banned
Can anyone suggest me a new router? I really don't care about wi-fi so much, i use it maybe once a month.
I need to provide a stable, open NAT connection to pc and 2-3 consoles.
Thanks

Can anyone suggest me a new router? I really don't care about wi-fi so much, i use it maybe once a month.
I need to provide a stable, open NAT connection to pc and 2-3 consoles.
Thanks

ASUS Routers are the best in my opinion. No fuss, just plug it in, fire it up and game on.

Either of these are good on the cheap, I got for 900's my self, but I use wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049YQVHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00387G6R8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

just search for ASUS routers on Amazon if you want a wider selection.

This is probably a bit off topic but I can't seem to get any help anywhere and guys on here are really good at replying and helping out so here goes.

I currently have a GTX 680SOC, i5 3570k, 16 gig ram. For some reason with Starcraft 2, my game will start at around 100fps give or take, and as a match progresses with multiple players, will eventually drop down to around the 30fps mark, sometimes as low as 23fps. It can be on Medium, High, Ultra settings, whatever and the outcome is still the same regardless. I used to play this game on a much older PC and get WAY better performance than this. Anyone that play this game have any insight as to why this is happening? I should be getting far better performance considering my hardware.

Diablos

So, Amazon asked me if I could help answer the following question:

iNbaCRZ.png

LOL.

Is it really bang for buck next to the regular 780?

I don't think so. Get the Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz Edition like I did from newegg or Amazon and it will absolutely slay anything you toss at it. The Ti is overkill for people who wish to be departed from 200 dollars easily.

Hi GAF.

Just hoping a few more knowledgeable people can chime in with their opinions on this.

I currently have an i7 4930K which is paired up with SLI GTX570. I want to get a new graphics card this week, possibly even today but I am having a hard time deciding which one. The three choices I have been looking at are the GTX 780, GTX 780TI and to go a bit different, the 290X. I will admit I'm not the biggest ATI fan(I had lots of troubles back when the 5000 series released and it left a sour taste in my mouth) but if the result is the 290x is better value then I will consider.

Just wondering if someone could offer their opinion on the matter? Also should I be too concerned about the brand?

Is there a good site for seeing each card and the FPS it gets in games? I know one for notebook cards but it doesn't seem to do desktops. I can only find benchmarks which just give a total in points. It shows the 780TI as the clear winner but it doesn't really give an idea on the FPS difference for the cost.

Thanks.

In addition to what was said before about the Nvidia technologies there are other concerns. You won't be able to get a AMD card for a reasonable price for the foreseeable future, 30-60 days at least. Then there's the 780 vs the 780Ti, look the Ti is a behemoth, I agree entirely, but at 200 bucks extra? I can't really see it. If it had 5-6GB's of VRAM or more? Then we could have a discussion. But as of right now, it's a super card packed with just enough VRAM to get by for awhile.

Save the 200 bucks and buy the 780. The Gigabyte GHZ version is what I recommend. I just bought it and it is a beast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125488

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGM6RB2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Long as heck, but it's whisper quiet and put an absolute beatdown on 3dmark and Heaven. I'm also using it to play a heavily modded Skyrim and it's locked at 60 fps no matter what I toss at it. Skyrim is pretty unstable, but it's pretty much always been that way. Give it a day or so though, because I just bought it last week for 509, not sure why it jumped 30 bucks.

yatesl

This is probably a bit off topic but I can't seem to get any help anywhere and guys on here are really good at replying and helping out so here goes.

I currently have a GTX 680SOC, i5 3570k, 16 gig ram. For some reason with Starcraft 2, my game will start at around 100fps give or take, and as a match progresses with multiple players, will eventually drop down to around the 30fps mark, sometimes as low as 23fps. It can be on Medium, High, Ultra settings, whatever and the outcome is still the same regardless. I used to play this game on a much older PC and get WAY better performance than this. Anyone that play this game have any insight as to why this is happening? I should be getting far better performance considering my hardware.

Download something like RealTemp, play a game, then have a look at the temps.

Is it just Starcraft that does this?

Download something like RealTemp, play a game, then have a look at the temps.

Is it just Starcraft that does this?

Might try that in the morning and yes, just Starcraft. The one game I play that I KNOW should be performing better. I can dominate games The Witcber 2, Battlefield and max Dota 2 at 120fps. so it strikes me as weird that Starcraft performs so poorly, unless somehow those games are less demanding than Starcraft 2 amd I doubt that.

yatesl

Might try that in the morning and yes, just Starcraft. The one game I play that I KNOW should be performing better. I can dominate games The Witcber 2, Battlefield and max Dota 2 at 120fps. so it strikes me as weird that Starcraft performs so poorly, unless somehow those games are less demanding than Starcraft 2 amd I doubt that.

Hmm, I doubt it's your heat then. Still, worth checking - I know Starcraft is more CPU than GPU intensive.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There aren't enough sales going on :/

I bought a used GTX 770 4GB for $280. Good? Still under warranty.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
bit.trip beat is the single greatest showcase game for motion clarity.

Alexalder

Banned
ASUS Routers are the best in my opinion. No fuss, just plug it in, fire it up and game on.

Either of these are good on the cheap, I got for 900's my self, but I use wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049YQVHE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00387G6R8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

just search for ASUS routers on Amazon if you want a wider selection.

Anything cheaper? I don't care about strong wi-fi signal, i use ethernet 99% of the time. I just need stable lan connection and gaming features (NAT ports, QoS)

clem84

Gold Member
I just bought a new mobo and graphic card. The card and mobo both support PCIe 3.0 but I just discovered that my 3 year old CPU, i7 2600 (second gen) doesn't support PCIe 3.0, only 2.0.

Will the drop in performance be significant?

kharma45

I just bought a new mobo and graphic card. The card and mobo both support PCIe 3.0 but I just discovered that my 3 year old CPU, i7 2600 (second gen) doesn't support PCIe 3.0, only 2.0.

Will the drop in performance be significant?

Nope, there'll likely be none.

what do you guys use to figure out your framerates in game?

Sometimes fraps, which is free, sometimes games will have a console command to show fps. I always google "how to check fps in "insert game here"" Some games like WOW have an icon that will show your FPS and latency if you hover your cursor over it.

I was using 2XMSAA but I didn't notice much difference with it on or off.

If 2x MSAA made no difference performance-wise you are very likely CPU bound somewhat. Hopefully, Mantle will give you the boost you need to get a more consistent framerate. It should have the largest benefit for those that have weaker CPUs.

NoRéN

Well shit Nvidia still has it on their website. D: regardless I received no voucher with my 760GTX despite it being one of the cards listed on Newegg.

Unless it was specifically stated in the product page that you would get a free game, you are probably out of luck. Check your invoice as they tend to add the game separately and then apply a discount for the cost to make it free.

Still, try and chat with them.

Hey guys, I've got a question regarding the motherboard of the BitFenix Prodigy build.
What is the difference between the Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi and the Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi?

KAL2006

Banned
Finished my build finally

Intel 4670k OC @ 4.4GHz
AMD HD 7870 2GB
8GB RAM
Be Quiet Cooler 2
Z87X-3DH Motherboard
120GB SSD
1TB HDD (from old build)
650Watt PSU (from old build)

Very tired after installing drivers and windows as well as software, gonna go bed, had a quickplay around tested out Dolphin with Mario Galaxy and its working full speed 60FPS in 1080p.

RedSwirl

Hmm... for some reason my GPU started heating up for no goddamn reason.

I was just browsing GAF and for a second my screen went back, then came back on again. After that I heard what sounded like my fan heating up (it was a wheezing sound). Then MSI Afterburner tells my my GPU temp is in the 50's even though it's idle (it's usually in the high 20's when idle), and rising. At around 60 I decided to shut it down.

Last thing I did was play Dark Souls for a few hours. Does having a portable heater next to a computer have any effect on it?

RedSwirl

NoRéN;96801251 said:
Probably raised the temperature around your pc real high.

Not sure about that. I've had it turned off for hours now. I even monitored the temps with the heater on full blast while playing a game. Never went above the low 60's.

I think it might be a fan issue because it coincided with an odd noise coming from the computer, like a whistling sound or something. I'm looking at the inside now though and none of the fans seem to be obstructed or anything. Zero dust as well.

RedSwirl

My case has external fan controls. Should I start messing with those?

Edit: I think I did accidentlaly touch one of the external fans. One of them looks like it's been moved. I can't really remember where they were though. Right now they're all at minimum.

If anyone else in this thread uses an NZXT Phantom Full Tower, how high do you usually keep the fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom