• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Potentially dumb question here, but when looking at RealTemp, I've noticed on the graphics bit, it says:

GeForce GTX 770
Driver Version 332.21
Link Width x16
Memory 2047 MB.

... Have I installed it in to a PCI-e 16 slot, instead of 32? I put it in the highest one, closest to the CPU.

What mobo are you using?

kharma45

Potentially dumb question here, but when looking at RealTemp, I've noticed on the graphics bit, it says:

GeForce GTX 770
Driver Version 332.21
Link Width x16
Memory 2047 MB.

... Have I installed it in to a PCI-e 16 slot, instead of 32? I put it in the highest one, closest to the CPU.

x16 is the correct one.

Thorgal

I had to change my order today as the place where i ordered it discovered there supliers do not have the card i wanted .

So hows this one ? Good choice ?

dCIS9kG.png

kharma45

Thanks .

Also this shop also sells bundles And one of them inludes the above card + this PSU .

Price tag : 829 €.

Would this be considered a good deal ?

Considered the regular 780 over the 780 Ti? The MSI Lightning model is 'only' €500 http://www.videokaartshop.be/product/374381/msi-n780-lightning.html

It's a lot of extra money for 10-15% performance boost, but if you want the best of the best then why not I guess!

You could team it with the Seasonic G550 and be quids in http://www.videokaartshop.be/product/310520/category-207253-voedingen/seasonic-g-serie-550w.html

I prefer it over the Corsair RM as it's a more known quantity.

bigkrev

So I'm starting to download drivers for the stuff I ordered, and I got a question about the you drivers. I bought a Gigabyte 770 2g- should I get the gtx 770 drivers from nvidias web page, or should I get the drivers fort eh card from Gigabytes website?

kharma45

So I'm starting to download drivers for the stuff I ordered, and I got a question about the you drivers. I bought a Gigabyte 770 2g- should I get the gtx 770 drivers from nvidias web page, or should I get the drivers fort eh card from Gigabytes website?

Get them from Nvidia.

thefil

Hey GAF, can I get some case recommendations? The power button on my current case went, and the cable management in there has become a nightmare (there isn't any).

This is my motherboard: http://msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G41.html. I currently have, and only ever intend on having, one GPU.

I'm looking for something:
+ understated in design. The fewer logos, flashy highlights, and glass windows, the better
+ really easy to access/wire drive bays. I'm tired of reaching around corners to plug in SATA
+ places to route cable. My current case has none of this, and with 4 H/SDDs, it's getting insane
+ a good compromise between airflow and size

So far the Corsair Air 540 seems kind of nice, but I'm worried it's outrageously big, or that it will be annoying to reach on the floor because it's kind of squat.

*edit* this one looks gorgeous, actually: http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/...carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case.html

Ieu

That actually looks like a better version of the 550D which I own so I can vouch for Corsair's case quality.

kharma45

Hey GAF, can I get some case recommendations? The power button on my current case went, and the cable management in there has become a nightmare (there isn't any).

This is my motherboard: http://msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G41.html. I currently have, and only ever intend on having, one GPU.

I'm looking for something:
+ understated in design. The fewer logos, flashy highlights, and glass windows, the better
+ really easy to access/wire drive bays. I'm tired of reaching around corners to plug in SATA
+ places to route cable. My current case has none of this, and with 4 H/SDDs, it's getting insane
+ a good compromise between airflow and size

So far the Corsair Air 540 seems kind of nice, but I'm worried it's outrageously big, or that it will be annoying to reach on the floor because it's kind of squat.

*edit* this one looks gorgeous, actually: http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/...carbide-series-330r-quiet-mid-tower-case.html

330R is nice enough. Fractal Design Define R4 would be my choice though. Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 or Deep Silence 2 are good too.

thefil

I also need a power supply recommendation. I feel like it's worth going modular, though I'm open to arguments to the contrary. I need to power a 660Ti, 4+ fans, i5 3570K, 4 spinning HDDs and 2 SSDs.

Maybesew

I also need a power supply recommendation. I feel like it's worth going modular, though I'm open to arguments to the contrary. I need to power a 660Ti, 4+ fans, i5 3570K, 4 spinning HDDs and 2 SSDs.

I have the HX650. No complaints, and the full modular is nice and neat.

thefil

I have the HX650. No complaints, and the full modular is nice and neat.

Any reason not to get the 750? Right now on newegg.ca it's cheaper than the 650 due to a sale.

*edit* ugh so many PSUs. Not sure how to compare two 650watt modular PSUs. Also, newegg has a lot of "it failed quickly" reviews on the HX650...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Building a new PC using a couple of old parts...would using a 6 year old power supply be a bad idea?

It's the Corsair HX520.

I'd stick with it unless you've had a reason to upgrade. Need more wattage for multiple GPUs or it's giving you trouble.

Any reason not to get the 750? Right now on newegg.ca it's cheaper than the 650 due to a sale.

Wouldn't hurt at all. You probably won't be drawing 50% even at load, lots of headroom for upgrading.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I went with the Coolermaster V700 because they seem to have a better reputation than Corsair for reliability.
Most of Corsair's higher end units are fantastic, but with so many brands going for Gold and up on existing designs there's also some DOA or Coil whine.

The CM Vseries PSUs aren't the nicest (cables, cosmetic) but their performance is unmatched for their price. Hard to go wrong with high end PSUs just if you pay a little more or not.

thefil

Most of Corsair's higher end units are fantastic, but with so many brands going for Gold and up on existing designs there's also some DOA or Coil whine.

The CM Vseries PSUs aren't the nicest (cables, cosmetic) but their performance is unmatched for their price. Hard to go wrong with high end PSUs just if you pay a little more or not.

Wait, what's wrong with the cables? D:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Building a new PC using a couple of old parts...would using a 6 year old power supply be a bad idea?

It's the Corsair HX520.

If it was a low power rig I would say ride it but for new parts I would not want to put that on an old PSU even if trusty and reliable. I think any socket upgrade should also be accompanied with a new PSU.

That being said, it's not illegal to take that PSU and use it for your new rig. I would not feel secure for the long run and hate reorganizing cables within a case when upgrading a PSU. Sounds a bit picky but when I set a new MB in a new case, I want to make sure the PSU works and I don't have to worry about upgrading for a while. Especially when I have big plans like multi-GPU or add-ons.

Anyone seen this?

4K surround gaming using 4 titans.

- 11520 X 2160 resolution
- 60 fps
- 1.5 billion pixel/sec.

Insanity.

Saw Linus do his video on it. Surely impressive but it's just Project Cars being shown. I'd like to see Battlefield 4 on that setup. Probably programmed to work well with the 4 Titans as well. Or it just works via brute force of the power at the disposal of the rig. Or it could be a rigged demo :O

scogoth

Saw Linus do his video on it. Surely impressive but it's just Project Cars being shown. I'd like to see Battlefield 4 on that setup. Probably programmed to work well with the 4 Titans as well. Or it just works via brute force of the power at the disposal of the rig. Or it could be a rigged demo :O

BF4 is not very well optimized for SLI and pCARS is still under development so they probably convinced the devs to make a special build for the demo. They definitely have custom drivers from Nvidia because their release drivers (as far as I know) don't support 4k surround. Its mostly brute force, not rigged but close to rigged ;)

Scum

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

How am I doing so far?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

How am I doing so far?

I'd go 2x8GB for RAM instead of 4x4, given the choice. Also Win8.1 unless you have a specific reason for going with Win7 (known compatibility issue or something).

Otherwise very nice.

Maybesew

*edit* ugh so many PSUs. Not sure how to compare two 650watt modular PSUs. Also, newegg has a lot of "it failed quickly" reviews on the HX650...

It wasn't cheaper at the time I purchased it, so that would be one reason. But also the 650 is enough for me. I have a GTX770, and even if I wanted it SLI, the 650 would still be enough.

Thorgal

Considered the regular 780 over the 780 Ti? The MSI Lightning model is 'only' €500 http://www.videokaartshop.be/product/374381/msi-n780-lightning.html

It's a lot of extra money for 10-15% performance boost, but if you want the best of the best then why not I guess!

You could team it with the Seasonic G550 and be quids in http://www.videokaartshop.be/product/310520/category-207253-voedingen/seasonic-g-serie-550w.html

I prefer it over the Corsair RM as it's a more known quantity.

thanks ,but i already made my mind up for the EVGA one.

Money is not really an issue.

soultron

Banned
Can you guys recommend a decent non-mechanical keyboard that isn't ridiculously expensive or colorful/ugly?
If it's for gaming, the Steel Series APEX Raw has a nice look and is fairly cheap if you find it on sale. It's decent but probably not exactly top tier in terms of build quality.

Raysoul

Ok, I'm planning to build a PC next month. I'm not really a computer noob, but I am very outdated about building a PC. Here is my preferred build based on Haz builds on the OP:

CPU: Intel i5 4430 4C/4T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
RAM: (4GB) <- Fill me in with this one
Graphics: GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
Power Supply: Antec VP450 or similar
Case: NZXT Source 210 or similar
Optical Drive: $20 DVD writer

Basically, I need a home/multimedia/work/semi gaming PC. Won't overclock. Little interest in PC gaming in general, except that I'll play MG: Rising and RockSmith (or maybe some other future games). Current monitor is a 720p Samsung monitor, but I might upgrade to a 1080p. Would not go over $500, and would appreciate if it would be priced lower. Also, I'm not from the US so the price here may vary.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. - How will Dolphin (Wii emulator) perform here?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wait, what's wrong with the cables? D:
They are fine, just not super nice (fancy)
Can you guys recommend a decent non-mechanical keyboard that isn't ridiculously expensive or colorful/ugly?
None in OP catch your eye?
Ok, I'm planning to build a PC next month. I'm not really a computer noob, but I am very outdated about building a PC. Here is my preferred build based on Haz builds on the OP:

CPU: Intel i5 4430 4C/4T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
RAM: (4GB) <- Fill me in with this one
Graphics: GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
Power Supply: Antec VP450 or similar
Case: NZXT Source 210 or similar
Optical Drive: $20 DVD writer

Basically, I need a home/multimedia/work/semi gaming PC. Won't overclock. Little interest in PC gaming in general, except that I'll play MG: Rising and RockSmith (or maybe some other future games). Current monitor is a 720p Samsung monitor, but I might upgrade to a 1080p. Would not go over $500, and would appreciate if it would be priced lower. Also, I'm not from the US so the price here may vary.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. - How will Dolphin (Wii emulator) perform here?
Looks solid. A good amount of Dolphin games should run well, but to be absolutely sure you want to overclock which is out of your budget.
On RAM I highly suggest going 2x4GB, a lot of caching happens in Windows 7/8, you can find used RAM if you want a bargain. Anything from a major brand has lifetime warranty and should be tied to the product (at least in NA).

jonno394

Hi Guys, i've decided on the build I will be going with at the end of this month and just wondering if someone can check to see if it will meet my requirements

Motherboard Gigabyte Z87-D3HP £94
CPU Intel i5 4670K £155
GPU 3GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WINDFORCE £230
RAM Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 2x4GB £66
HDD 1TB WD10EZEX £45
OS Windows 8.1 64Bit tbc
PSU Cooler Master G Series RS650-AMAAB1-UK 650w £68
Optical Drive standard SATA 24x DVD Writer £15.00
CaseCorsair Carbide Series 200R £50.00

&#8226;Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4. General Usage 3 (Word, Web, 1080p playback)

&#8226;Monitor Resolution: Due to the size of my flat I will be using a 32" Samsung 1080p HDTV at present until I move out later in the year and then i'll invest in a seperate monitor/desk. What are peoples experiences of using a HDTV as a main monitor? I will be sitting about 5 feet away from teh screen, will internet text be readable? if not i'll probably just use my netbook for browsing

&#8226;List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking for 1080p and 60fps for the following games
Metro 2033, Metro Last Light
STALKER
The WItcher 1 and 2
Fallout 3, NW - with mods
Skyrim with mods
Dolphin Emulator

&#8226;When will you build?: End of January

&#8226;Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, not investing a third party cooler just yet but will down the line, unsure if my RAM will be low profile enough?

Hi Guys, i've decided on the build I will be going with at the end of this month and just wondering if someone can check to see if it will meet my requirements

Motherboard Gigabyte Z87-D3HP £94
CPU Intel i5 4670K £155
GPU 3GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WINDFORCE £230
RAM Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 2x4GB £66
HDD 1TB WD10EZEX £45
OS Windows 8.1 64Bit tbc
PSU Cooler Master G Series RS650-AMAAB1-UK 650w £68
Optical Drive standard SATA 24x DVD Writer £15.00
CaseCorsair Carbide Series 200R £50.00

•Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4. General Usage 3 (Word, Web, 1080p playback)

•Monitor Resolution: Due to the size of my flat I will be using a 32" Samsung 1080p HDTV at present until I move out later in the year and then i'll invest in a seperate monitor/desk. What are peoples experiences of using a HDTV as a main monitor? I will be sitting about 5 feet away from teh screen, will internet text be readable? if not i'll probably just use my netbook for browsing

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking for 1080p and 60fps for the following games
Metro 2033, Metro Last Light
STALKER
The WItcher 1 and 2
Fallout 3, NW - with mods
Skyrim with mods
Dolphin Emulator

•When will you build?: End of January

•Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, not investing a third party cooler just yet but will down the line, unsure if my RAM will be low profile enough?

Your PC will easily run those games and will run any upcoming games.

And your RAM will probably not cause issues with any CPU cooler.

Although at that budget I always think it is a bit of a waste to not include a SSD.

jonno394

Your PC will easily run those games and will run any upcoming games.

And your RAM will probably not cause issues with any CPU cooler.

Although at that budget I always think it is a bit of a waste to not include a SSD.

Cheers. I'm already spending at budget, and don't really want to go for lesser versions of what i've decided so I can't afford one at the moment. Imight invest in one over the next few months.

Copons

The Seasonic is an old design now but still reliable. It'd be my choice.

Just to be sure, as I don't know what these values mean at all: the Be Quiet says ATX v2.4 and EPS v2.92 while the Seasonic says ATX v2.3 and EPS v2.91.
I should be fine in both cases (with an AsRock Z87 Pro3 + i5-4430/4440)?

Thank you anyway! :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cheers. I'm already spending at budget, and don't really want to go for lesser versions of what i've decided so I can't afford one at the moment. Imight invest in one over the next few months.
SSD is the absolute best use upgrade you can do.
Maybe drop the PSU to a XFX 550W? Not sure if any Sandisk or V300 SSD are cheap where you are.
Just to be sure, as I don't know what these values mean at all: the Be Quiet says ATX v2.4 and EPS v2.92 while the Seasonic says ATX v2.3 and EPS v2.91.
I should be fine in both cases (with an AsRock Z87 Pro3 + i5-4430/4440)?

Thank you anyway! :)
Both are fine. The Haswell PSU crap is pointless (tmk) for anything made that isn't complete shit.

Copons

SSD is the absolute best use upgrade you can do.
Maybe drop the PSU to a XFX 550W? Not sure if any Sandisk or V300 SSD are cheap where you are.

Both are fine. The Haswell PSU crap is pointless (tmk) for anything made that isn't complete shit.

Perfect!

My god, I can't believe I'm this close to buying everything! waveoffeels.gif

wildfire

Banned
The ASUS is marginally faster (12MHz difference at stock, 15MHz at boost clocks) but that doesn't warrant the extra cash, plus the Gigabyte cooler is more modern plus they've the better RMA service. This isn't gospel but it's a reasonable guide

7c0z.png

This is pretty sick. I would like to see something like this in the next Need a PC OP but it would need to be expanded on to different parts besides GPUs on the first iteration. On the second iteration maybe we could coordinate to test their RMA services and make a consumer's report.

Seanspeed

Banned
•Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, not investing a third party cooler just yet but will down the line, unsure if my RAM will be low profile enough?
If you're definitely going to overclock eventually, its really silly to not spend the extra £25 for a CPU cooler now and install it from the get-go. You're saving yourself a good amount of hassle later on. You'll benefit from better temps even at stock speeds and then you can simply overclock whenever the hell you feel like it, rather than having to wait for a part to arrive, go through the tedious process of trying to install it with your mobo in the case or having to unplug everything and take the mobo out, and then being able to overclock.

And you can buy low profile version of that RAM, although it will be blue(which should still look good with your mobo, unless you really want black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom