• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

That still has a window. I'm sorry, I'll never consider a window in a case not silly. It's second only to LED light strips. If people like it, more power to them, but I'll stick with the minimalist black box :p

Well, that's not completely true, the In Win 904 almost convinced me that glass has a place in case design. But more if the PC is an objet d'art and not a workstation.

Wanna fight bruh?

Windows let you see into the soul of the machine you've built by hand. Plus when non pc nerds come over they are always amazed.

My current specs are :

I5 4670K @ 3.4
4 GB DDR3 1333mhz
ati 6850
Ocz sealthxstream 600W

And obviously this vga isnt doing any favors to the bottleneck.
I was looking for a nice replacement for it, and in the end i am between the nvidia 770, and ati 280X. What do you guys think?

mkenyon

Banned
My current specs are :

I5 4670K @ 3.4
4 GB DDR3 1333mhz
ati 6850
Ocz sealthxstream 600W

And obviously this vga isnt doing any favors to the bottleneck.
I was looking for a nice replacement for it, and in the end i am between the nvidia 770, and ati 280X. What do you guys think?
Depends on whether or not you'd use Shadowplay and G-Sync. If not, I'd go for a 280X around $280-290. If so, go for the 770. Overclock your CPU too.
20nm leaks are showing up. AMD leaks are from what-the-fuck tech, so it's totally unreliable. But for Nvidia:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Nvidi...880-Leak-Spezifikationen-Maxwell-GPU-1116952/
If this leak is true, the GTX 880 will be their mid range Maxwell part, just as I thought. Kepler all over again.

Tablo

If this leak is true, the GTX 880 will be their mid range Maxwell part, just as I thought. Kepler all over again.

FFS :( I mean we could all see this coming, but it still hurts. I wonder if it will outperform the 780 Ti as well as having new hardware features, that would be swell.

Depends on whether or not you'd use Shadowplay and G-Sync. If not, I'd go for a 280X around $280-290. If so, go for the 770. Overclock your CPU too.

Thanks, i do not plan on using shadowplay and g-sync tough. I recently changed my case to an Commander MS-II and i am afraid that an 280X will not fit well, but according to specifications the 280x is about 12 inches long and my case will support up to 14.

And what CPU cooler do you recommend for the processor? I thought about overclock it but i am still with my stock cooler solution.

Seanspeed

Banned

Well I hope the 870 is Kepler all over again as well, cuz the 670 is still an awesome card.

mkenyon

Banned
And what CPU cooler do you recommend for the processor? I thought about overclock it but i am still with my stock cooler solution.
The stuff in the OP is all good.
FFS :( I mean we could all see this coming, but it still hurts. I wonder if it will outperform the 780 Ti as well as having new hardware features, that would be swell.
Yeah, I'm sure it will. It just won't be this giant leap that people are expecting from bygone eras.
Well I hope the 870 is Kepler all over again as well, cuz the 670 is still an awesome card.
Serious.

Thanks again. I think i will go with the 280X, what upsets me is that i am paying 629$ for it, since i live in Brazil. That kind of sucks seeing the real MSRP everybody in the USA pays. oh well.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks again. I think i will go with the 280X, what upsets me is that i am paying 629$ for it, since i live in Brazil. That kind of sucks seeing the real MSRP everybody in the USA pays. oh well.
How much is the 770 by comparison? If the same price or cheaper, go with the 770.

axb2013

IF we assume the leaked chart is accurate, that card will launch first to try and draw users since it looks like it beats the 780, then later a "full" 880 TI will launch. A minimal reduction in power draw and a slight boost in transistor count. I had more hopes for 20nm, maybe it's just a slightly modified 28nm part? A 256-bit bus on a 20nm chip doesn't make sense.

Seems true 2 me. If this is an updated 680, the specs match the jump from the 650 to the 750Ti. Keep bus width the same, but beef up the core. It probably has quite a lot of cache on-die, like the 750Ti does in relation to the 650. So performance will belie the 256-bit bus.

Power consumption went up 30 watts but that's nothing imo. It's going to be twice as fast. So 30% faster than the 780Ti. Not a bad jump.

I purchased an SSD, was thinking of just cloning my current hd/windows install to it. Are there any downsides to this versus a fresh install?

scojitsu

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£96.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£98.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.06 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£71.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1228.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-09 22:14 BST+0100)

Just hit the purchase button. I bought the gpu and cooler second hand so the total cost is £1133. Can't wait to get started.

axb2013

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£96.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£69.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£98.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£399.88 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.94 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.06 @ Aria PC)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£71.60 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1228.39
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-09 22:14 BST+0100)

Just hit the purchase button. I bought the gpu and cooler second hand so the total cost is £1133. Can't wait to get started.

Anyone know if the win8 reddit discount works for peeps outside US? Could save 50 pounds.

Is there any general consensus on the best 140mm fans? I installed my system into a Corsair 330r and i am loving the 140mm fan on the front but will be OC'ing soon and will need a 2nd fan. Thanks!

mkenyon

Banned
GAF build? I got some parts lying around....
Want a Z77X-UP7? No one wants to buy it. I even tried giving it to Haz for free, and he turned it down.
Is there any general consensus on the best 140mm fans? I installed my system into a Corsair 330r and i am loving the 140mm fan on the front but will be OC'ing soon and will need a 2nd fan. Thanks!
Shouldn't need a second fan in the front for that. But, Corsair AF140 is pretty good. BGears Blaster is better, but louder too.

TheD

The Detective
Just a heads up, Newegg now ships a lot of it's products to Aus (and it looks to be a large saving on things like motherboards).

scogoth

Want a Z77X-UP7? No one wants to buy it. I even tried giving it to Haz for free, and he turned it down.

Shouldn't need a second fan in the front for that. But, Corsair AF140 is pretty good. BGears Blaster is better, but louder too.

For free? Sure. We want to build a giveaway build.

DeSo

Banned
Is there an easy way to move Origin games between drives? Just downloaded Titanfall (50gb wtf) and now want to move it off my SSD.

TheD

The Detective
Nothing like Steam.
I think you have to copy the files and then get Origin to install to the folder that you copied them to, not 100% sure though.

Ah! Thanks for the headsup mkenyon, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

kennah

Well, in all seriousness - Did we want to all collab on a gaf give way build?

My initial idea was to put together the baseline 'cheap' OP build. Bench it and have those benches available when people ask for 'how good is this anyway'. And once that was done, give the computer to a needy gaffer.

But then we got pregnant :p

mkenyon

Banned
Well, in all seriousness - Did we want to all collab on a gaf give way build?

My initial idea was to put together the baseline 'cheap' OP build. Bench it and have those benches available when people ask for 'how good is this anyway'. And once that was done, give the computer to a needy gaffer.

But then we got pregnant :p
Well, you can put an i3 in the UP7......

it hurts us

riflen

Is there an easy way to move Origin games between drives? Just downloaded Titanfall (50gb wtf) and now want to move it off my SSD.

Nothing like Steam.
I think you have to copy the files and then get Origin to install to the folder that you copied them to, not 100% sure though.

There's no mechanism in Origin to allow different games in different locations. If you want to move all your Origin games, there's a straightforward procedure that works, but to move Titanfall alone I'd look into using the Windows command mklink.

For example: mklink /d C:\<old titanfall directory> D:\<new titanfall directory>

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194.aspx

Oxn

I could use a new Z77 board. In fact Im in the process of ebaying a used one. If its free I wouldnt mind it.

My cheapass Asrock Pro 4 (never buying Asrock anymore), has a broken front headphone connector, and with the updated bios i installed, I can no longer get into the bios anymore.

So i have to use software to overclock, and i cant adjust seetings anymore.

kiyomi

Just had an emergency and had to use the money that I was gonna finish my build with this weekend.

Im fucking stressed, depressed, angry and all sorts of shit. Someone post the anchorman glass case of emotions gif please
Hope everything is okay, hang in there!

scogoth

I need to keep up on these posts. I may and/or may not have sent some PMs without reading the latest in the thread.

Soooooo yeah lets do this. I have tons of spare parts lying around.

EDIT: Only doing this if its colour matched.

BIGWORM

Would I see a significant gain in load time moving Titanfall from HD to SSD? It'd be the ONE game I would have on my 840 EVO 250GB.

mkenyon

Banned
I could use a new Z77 board. In fact Im in the process of ebaying a used one. If its free I wouldnt mind it.

My cheapass Asrock Pro 4 (never buying Asrock anymore), has a broken front headphone connector, and with the updated bios i installed, I can no longer get into the bios anymore.

So i have to use software to overclock, and i cant adjust seetings anymore.
If this build ends up not requiring my motherboard, I'll let you know.
Would I see a significant gain in load time moving Titanfall from HD to SSD? It'd be the ONE game I would have on my 840 EVO 250GB.
Yep.
Yea, it's really tempting to buy an EVO, but I want to see what Samsung has new.
SSD fast is SSD fast. C'mon now.

2San

Dunno, I always get the feeling everyone loads in at the same time. Honestly Titanfall is one of the few games where I think having a SSD is pointless.

Marceles

Finally figured everything out and installing Windows on my newly built computer :) I'm so excited. I'm immediately downloading Reaper of Souls once I'm done hooking up everything

DeSo

Banned
Also question about SSDs, is their "health" read by some programs the be all and end all? Like when it gets low will my SSDs performance deteriorate? I've had mine a bit over year and its health is at 48%.

TheD

The Detective
Also question about SSDs, is their "health" read by some programs the be all and end all? Like when it gets low will my SSDs performance deteriorate? I've had mine a bit over year and its health is at 48%.

It depends on why it is saying it is low heath.
Is it due to the amount of writes you have made? is it because of bad blocks? uncorrectable errors? ect.

DeSo

Banned
It must be due to writes? Because yeah there's no errors or anything and its been working fine since I got it.

appaws

Banned
I have a 400r case I could kick in...

Just bought an Air 540 and moved everything over a few days ago...Absolutely in love wit this case. That back chamber makes wire management SO easy. I've never had a build look this good! I can't recommend it highly enough.

Also bought a fan controller....wow, what a difference as far as noise reduction. It's pretty much dead silent with the fans all turned down to 40%...and the difference in temps is only 2 degrees when I ran a quick IBT test. For like 30 bucks it's the best investment in quiet computing I've made.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm switching from consoles to PC for the foreseeable future. Just ordered this SSD. Never had one before, so I'm excited.

Question, though. I have an okay gaming rig that I got a few years ago. It has a 570 GPU and an i5 2500K CPU with 8GB RAM. I don't know what to upgrade. I'm leaning towards my GPU as I can give my brother my GPU, which he desperately needs. Any tips/advice? My PC will be my primary gaming device from [insert date I get new parts], so I do want it to last. I'm looking to spend about $300 on a GPU, if I go that route.

Edit: Holy shit I just read the title. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom