• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

appaws

Banned
I'm switching from consoles to PC for the foreseeable future. Just ordered this SSD. Never had one before, so I'm excited.

Question, though. I have an okay gaming rig that I got a few years ago. It has a 570 GPU and an i5 2500K CPU with 8GB RAM. I don't know what to upgrade. I'm leaning towards my GPU as I can give my brother my GPU, which he desperately needs. Any tips/advice? My PC will be my primary gaming device from [insert date I get new parts], so I do want it to last. I'm looking to spend about $300 on a GPU, if I go that route.

Edit: Holy shit I just read the title. :lol

Where are you? If you can get to around $329 US, then you are looking at a nice 770, like a Gigabyte, Asus, etc...

That will be a nice upgrade. If you are gaming at 1080p...a 760 would be good also...but I generally never tell anyone to attempt to save on GPUs...IMO that is always the one area where you should push your budget to the max...cutting elsewhere if necessary.

Panzon

Is the MSI 787-G45 a better choice than the Gigabyte z87 UD3H?

The MSI board would be like $40 cheaper for me at Microcenter after rebate. The reviews of the Gigabyte board also scare me a little. Which one has the better BIOS and better performance in your opinions?

Einbroch

Banned
Where are you? If you can get to around $329 US, then you are looking at a nice 770, like a Gigabyte, Asus, etc...

That will be a nice upgrade. If you are gaming at 1080p...a 760 would be good also...but I generally never tell anyone to attempt to save on GPUs...IMO that is always the one area where you should push your budget to the max...cutting elsewhere if necessary.

I can get that for $310, ASUS. I just got a bonus and the missus told me to spend it on fun things, and this is definitely a fun thing.

One question before I pull the trigger: will this card drop in price in the next month? I have no problem with unexpected announcements, shit happens, but is there anything known where this price would drop?

TheD

The Detective

The MSI board would be like $40 cheaper for me at Microcenter after rebate. The reviews of the Gigabyte board also scare me a little. Which one has the better BIOS and better performance in your opinions?

Well the MSI board has a great colour scheme, on the other hand it has one of those shitty "Killer" NICs (some reviews have put them as performing worse than normal ethernet controllers).
Both are likely to have shitty audio (but the MSI one does get some Sound Blaster effects).

Panzon

Well the MSI board has a great colour scheme, on the other hand it has one of those shitty "Killer" NICs (some reviews have put them as performing worse than normal ethernet controllers).
Both are likely to have shitty audio (but the MSI one does get some Sound Blaster effects).
Thats a bummer. Whats the best motherboard in the ~$150 range. I really don't wanna have to dish out the extra $50 for the MAximus Hero :(

IIRC No since the Gigabyte has better VRMs so it runs cooler

Majukun

if i don't plan to do overclock,it is safe to use the stock heat sink that it's in the cpu box?

or i'm going to cook my cpu this summer?

Sup guys. So, I have a question about a good headset. I see the recommendations in OPs post and I'll be building a PC later this year...but I was kinda needing something now for my PS4/PC. Problem is it appears some of those options in the OPs post are not good for PS4. Like the Sennheiser's need a driver for 7.1 and I don't think you can install those on PS4.

I'm looking for a headset that's good with both PC/PS4. Looking for something with good immersion and directional audio is nice for competitive gaming but not super important for me. I'm more concerned with immersion for games like survival-horror or SP games in general. Doesn't need a mic...I can always buy that separate. Any good recommendations? I suppose it's good to buy one now anyway since I have a gaming PC here that's decent already. Something around $150-$250 total would be fine.

appaws

Banned
I can get that for $310, ASUS. I just got a bonus and the missus told me to spend it on fun things, and this is definitely a fun thing.

One question before I pull the trigger: will this card drop in price in the next month? I have no problem with unexpected announcements, shit happens, but is there anything known where this price would drop?

I can't see why. I mean, prices may go up or down 10 bucks or someone may offer a rebate or something. But its not suddenly gonna drop to like $200 bucks or anything.

I'm a bit of an ASUS fanboy myself, thats a great card and the DirectCUII cooler is good stuff.

Pricing error maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WT9SU0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

30 Dollar 120 gb SSD. Never heard of the brand but the reviews are okay. I ordered one and im trying to think of worst case scenario? Order cancelled? Open box/used? Shitty brand with SSD that doesnt work? Or... I just got exactly what I've been looking for for 30 bucks.

Man I am so tempted to buy it, it looks like it want from 80% off to 77% so I don't think it's an error. Maybe a fire sale? Who knows.

TheD

The Detective
Pricing error maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WT9SU0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

30 Dollar 120 gb SSD. Never heard of the brand but the reviews are okay. I ordered one and im trying to think of worst case scenario? Order cancelled? Open box/used? Shitty brand with SSD that doesnt work? Or... I just got exactly what I've been looking for for 30 bucks.

Tried buying it, but it will not ship to Aus (bar saying that it will ship outside the US).
How the fuck are people meant to know where it ships to if they don't tell us?

Papa

Banned
Hi GAF

I'm building a new gaming PC and am looking for some feedback.

A few points:
- I don't have a strict budget but am open to cost saving ideas.
- I'm not looking to run an SLI setup just yet but would like to have the option to add another card in later in the year.
- I would like to transition to 4K at some point in the future.

Any advice is appreciated, cheers.

yEVQ3nw.png

Jafku

Hi GAF

A few points:
- I'm not looking to run an SLI setup just yet but would like to have the option to add another card in later in the year.

yEVQ3nw.png

You going to do any video editing? If not you could go down to the 4670K. edit: Now that i'm looking, is a 4770K needed for 4k gaming?
You can also save some money from buying a windows key on reddit.com/r/softwareswap. get a key for $10.

kennah

Could also jump on the Seasonic 750W deal that mkenyon posted today. You don't need 1000W unless you're doing triple or quad SLI.

And that case man... you sure? It's pretty huge.

scogoth

Hi GAF

A few points:

[/IMG]

You pretty much have a top of the line build but when you decide to go 4K, I would drop the 780 and get the highest end card you can at the time. Going SLI as a future option is never very good. Only time to do SLI if you start with two 780Ti's.

BIGWORM

Just a heads up: For all you guys building a new rig, including the OS, you can call MS customer service and purchase a Win7 Ultimate CD Key for $40 and just burn an Win7 image from their website. I just saw the latest part picker post list Home Premium for $90...

Smokey

So uh... My PC won't turn on. I shut it down then switched out a monitor and now it won't come on. I see the leds on the mobo are lit though... So it's getting something. Did my on/off button on my case go out or something....?

wth

Alright! Got my 4670k all loaded up with my Hyper 212 Evo. Whats the best way to stress test it? Are the utilities in the OP still valid for say HW Temp monitoring? I noticed that REALTEMP hasnt been updated in a while, just wanted to make sure. Additionally, whats the best resource to walk me through overclocking. I have a gigabyte board if it matters! So many questions, one last one. I have 1600speed ram, but when i set it to that in the bios the timings look off. Its this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

when i set it to 1600 manually the timings go off to like 9-11-11-etc

Thoughts? Thank you so much!

Ashhong

Marceles

Thanks for the help GAF, I now have a fully running computer.

Here is my build, bought everything from Amazon though because of Prime shipping:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste ($17.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($152.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($143.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($138.57 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.51 @ Mwave)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($96.50 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VE278H 27.0" Monitor ($204.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DGX 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($28.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($27.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1997.28

Plus tax it ended up probably being a little over $2,200, maybe more

Uff duh

Banned
Lets say I had 2 7970s and a MSI 790fx-gd70 Motherboard, and could only get one card to run 16x and the other at 8x do I need a new motherboard? Cards are in slot 1 and 3, or am I a noob? I am trying to Help a friend so any advice would be helpful.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hi GAF

A few points:

yEVQ3nw.png

even for a down the road 780 sli, that psu seems to be overkill. i think a good 850w should be safe

Ashhong

The world just keeps screwing Speevy.

Dang, missed it. Neither ate available now.

Hi GAF

A few points:

yEVQ3nw.png

I have 16gb of Crucial Ballistix ram for sale for $120, just saying...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
For those of you teetering on Reddit keys, I've had no issues with mine. It's been a couple months. I can't imagine not buying a key there. You save plenty.

Papa

Banned
You going to do any video editing? If not you could go down to the 4670K. edit: Now that i'm looking, is a 4770K needed for 4k gaming?
You can also save some money from buying a windows key on reddit.com/r/softwareswap. get a key for $10.

Is the reddit softwareswap legit?

How does it work?

Ashhong

Is the reddit softwareswap legit?

How does it work?

Yes it's legit. Many people have access to free codes using their school or whatever license with Microsoft. They then sell this for cheap. Many people have had success with it. Just PM the seller, paypal the money and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom