• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnhi

All of my parts should be arriving tomorrow.... what game should I experience first as I join the PC master gaming race? DayZ always looked interesting to me..

Umm... quick question. The fan for my Hyper 212 evo has started to make a slight rattling noise. I just can't deal with it. My girlfriend said she can barely hear it but I'm super OCD lol. What's a good replacement for it that I can just pick up from Microcenter real quick? I need it silent.

Oxn

Is there any benefit to getting an ATX board over a MATX?

Outside of only have more PCI ports?

I dont see why to buy an ATX board anymore if I dont plan on doing 3 way SLI.

Fantasmo

I'm thinking of upgrading my 670 to a 770 in the next month or so. I like steady 1080p/60 and a couple games have been falling short. Not much but I'm a pain that way.

I figure if I can let go of the 670 for ~$130 or so, I can get the 770 for ~$200. Are there any downsides? Does power consumption or heat go up? Is this a dumb idea? Also, SLI is not an option, my motherboard & PSU doesn't support it.

For reference I have:
Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan
&
Fractal Design Arc Mini Tower

Bleepey

The reddit product key didnt work so I installed Linux until I get it resolved. Ubuntu to be particular. So what does this mean for gaming and all that jazz? What steam or other games can I run? Also how crippled is my gaming gonna be for not going for the i5 4670k, how much better is it overclocked than the regular version?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I have a small formfactor pc with a high end asus mATX motherboard. Honestly the thing I miss the most are the SATA ports. My PC only has four of them. I have two ssds and a bluray reader leaving only room for one more item. My case fits a full 10inch videocard so I have power to spare on that front.

mkenyon

Banned
All of my parts should be arriving tomorrow.... what game should I experience first as I join the PC master gaming race? DayZ always looked interesting to me..
Dota and Europa Universalis IV, of course.
I kid, those are for later.

My favorite PC exclusive games of all time would be something like:

Tribes: Ascend
Quake III Arena
Morrowind/Skyrim modded out the yang
Europa Universalis IV
Dota 2
Mount and Blade: Warbands (Floris mod a must)
Civ V
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Umm... quick question. The fan for my Hyper 212 evo has started to make a slight rattling noise. I just can't deal with it. My girlfriend said she can barely hear it but I'm super OCD lol. What's a good replacement for it that I can just pick up from Microcenter real quick? I need it silent.
Corsair SP 120 Quiet Edition, CM JetFlo, Silverstone AP120 would all probably be at Microcenter.
Is there any benefit to getting an ATX board over a MATX?

Outside of only have more PCI ports?

I dont see why to buy an ATX board anymore if I dont plan on doing 3 way SLI.
Not much of a point, other than what Scogoth said. I've abandoned ATX as well. mATX only for me. Would go ITX but I need at least one more slot for a Sound Card.
I'm thinking of upgrading my 670 to a 770 in the next month or so. I like steady 1080p/60 and a couple games have been falling short. Not much but I'm a pain that way.

I figure if I can let go of the 670 for ~$130 or so, I can get the 770 for ~$200. Are there any downsides? Does power consumption or heat go up? Is this a dumb idea? Also, SLI is not an option, my motherboard & PSU doesn't support it.

For reference I have:
Seasonic S12II 520W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan
&
Fractal Design Arc Mini Tower
That's not much of an upgrade, TBH. The 770 is a rebadged 680. Try overclocking your 670. Otherwise, you'd probably want to look at the 780 or wait for Maxwell.

Fantasmo

That's not much of an upgrade, TBH. The 770 is a rebadged 680. Try overclocking your 670. Otherwise, you'd probably want to look at the 780 or wait for Maxwell.
Hm I just looked and good call, it really isn't that much better. Guess I'll wait until 870's come out and hope it's ~$400. Wish there was a timeframe.

NoRéN

The reddit product key didnt work so I installed Linux until I get it resolved. Ubuntu to be particular. So what does this mean for gaming and all that jazz? What steam or other games can I run? Also how crippled is my gaming gonna be for not going for the i5 4670k, how much better is it overclocked than the regular version?

what was wrong with your pc? What did it take to get it to work?

What is the best brand of SSD to go for that's also cheap for 256gb?
Samsung EVO 250gb for $140 at the moment.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W1726

Same price at Best Buy.

laoni

ctdr6Y9.jpg

All my parts have arrived! :D

...But now I have to go to class :(

appaws

Banned
Dota and Europa Universalis IV, of course.
I kid, those are for later.

EUIV is destroying my life right now....in 4-6 hour chunks. My Portugese Empire beat everybody to North America! What a fantastic game, I like it a lot better than Crusader Kings II, which uses the same engine.

I also hear that a new Hearts of Iron game is coming soon using that engine as well.

Paradox strategy games are one of the sublime joys of PC exclusive gaming.

Oxn

So my sister has a 3770K in her computer and she uses it for graphic design stuff, and rendering and what not.

She offered to trade it for my 3570K.

Now will she suffer from this trade. Cause I'll feel bad because I do want the 3770K though I have no need for it, however if her worktime suffers from it, I probably shouldnt.

John Blade

Just want some of your opinion about keyboard and which I should look at. Kinda interested in those Mechanical Gaming Keyboard but want something can be use for work and some gameplay.

Also, what is your opinion about those mini keyboard I see on the internet.
1396980292499.jpg

Oxn

Just want some of your opinion about keyboard and which I should look at. Kinda interested in those Mechanical Gaming Keyboard but want something can be use for work and some gameplay.

1396980292499.jpg

I didnt believe at first either, but for gaming mech keyboards really make a difference, especially for MMOs like WoW for me.

For typing, it could go either way for me.

I got the corsair K65, its been great if you dont need blacklighting and the numpad. Just a damn nice simple mech KB.

scogoth

I need work bench, back and knees killing me after all this sleeving.

I should also buy a cable comb but you can make one out of zip ties quite easily

Biggest downside of non-modular PSU is it is a very tight fit after the sleeve is on.

I needed a little mechanical strength to get the PSU cover back on

All good!

Here is cable route style 1

And route style 2

Thoughts on messy (1) vs clean (2) look?

https://i.4cdn.org/g/src/1396980292499.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Mini are fine, but I prefer the ones that have a full set of F# keys as well. I use them in gaming all the time so are completely necessary. I use a Choc Mini for my everything keyboard and the only thing I don't like about it is that I got a recent revision where the print isn't engraved and wears off.

NoRéN

I should also buy a cable comb but you can make one out of zip ties quite easily

Biggest downside of non-modular PSU is it is a very tight fit after the sleeve is on.

All good!

And route style 2

This is one of the coolest things I've seen someone do!

axb2013

All good!

And route style 2

Dat clean look.

I 'll go for it myself when I build my next one.
Anyone else notice as they get older they experiment less with components. Last PC I have literally not changed anything since I put it together almost 2 years ago.

So I have some questions. I'm wondering on what part I should upgrade first, my GPU or CPU?

Here's my setup at the moment.
*CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600
MOBO: MSI 970A-G43
*GPU: Asus GTX 460 1GB
PSU: Antec 620W
Case: HAF 912
HDD: 1TB HDD, 640GB HDD

Thinking about upgrading the CPU to a AMD FX-8350 and GPU to a Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB, would just like some others input. Trying to spend only $400 total and figuring out what would give me the best bang for my buck.

Asus Maximus VI Formula. Is this a good MB? I want something I can overclock with and has bluetooth/wifi. I know the formula has great on board audio so that's a plus. Anything else anyone can recommend?

mkenyon

Banned
Asus Maximus VI Formula. Is this a good MB? I want something I can overclock with and has bluetooth/wifi. I know the formula has great on board audio so that's a plus. Anything else anyone can recommend?
UD3H with a WiFi/BT card and a Xonar DGX would be better.

If you want the RoG features, maybe a Gene. If you don't need more than one expansion slot, the Impact.

UD3H with a WiFi/BT card and a Xonar DGX would be better.

If you want the RoG features, maybe a Gene. If you don't need more than one expansion slot, the Impact.

I do like the RoG features but I'm open to other boards. May I ask why gigabyte? And I'm guessing you feel the Formula is overpriced.

pa22word

Eck, I think my CPU cooler might be shitting the bed. I was doing some modest OCing on my i7 960 when I noticed it was running really loud, so I bumped it down to stock and it's still a little loud, so I fired up CoreTemp and was greeted with this:

9596e84b0118e82732e8c2475e228963.png

And this is just from me faffing about on gaf =\

Kinda worried now. I mean I just redid my thermal paste like 3 months ago, so it couldn't be that could it? Kinda worried about the ol beast because it's been working like a good dog for around 5 years now, and I really don't want to run it into the ground prematurely because I know if I take proper care of her she'll probably last me the rest of the generation.

mkenyon

Banned
I do like the RoG features but I'm open to other boards. May I ask why gigabyte? And I'm guessing you feel the Formula is overpriced.
It is appropriately priced for the type of person that gets value out of its most important feature, being aesthetics. Like Scogoth above.

The Gigabyte is a solid performer with great reliability. The BIOS is the most intuitive and simple out of the bunch.

The Formula board begs for single braided cables, a customized chassis, and lots of water blocks, IMO. If you want RoG features, the Hero and Gene make a lot more sense.

The onboard audio, while good, still can't go toe to toe with any discrete card or even the Gigabyte Sniper's audio solution. The RAMDisk utility and BIOS flash via USB with the power off are damned cool though. I definitely got use out of that latter one myself.

Eck, I think my CPU cooler might be shitting the bed. I was doing some modest OCing on my i7 960 when I noticed it was running really loud, so I bumped it down to stock and it's still a little loud, so I fired up CoreTemp and was greeted with this:

9596e84b0118e82732e8c2475e228963.png

And this is just from me faffing about on gaf =\

Kinda worried now. I mean I just redid my thermal paste like 3 months ago, so it couldn't be that could it? Kinda worried about the ol beast because it's been working like a good dog for around 5 years now, and I really don't want to run it into the ground prematurely because I know if I take proper care of her she'll probably last me the rest of the generation.

Have you tried reseating the cooler with new thermal paste? Thermal paste can dry up, especially dissipating large loads of heat from an OC. Reseat and replace the thermal paste and let us know how your temps look.

It is appropriately priced for the type of person that gets value out of its most important feature, being aesthetics. Like Scogoth above.

The Gigabyte is a solid performer with great reliability. The BIOS is the most intuitive and simple out of the bunch.

The Formula board begs for single braided cables, a customized chassis, and lots of water blocks, IMO. If you want RoG features, the Hero and Gene make a lot more sense.

The onboard audio, while good, still can't go toe to toe with any discrete card or even the Gigabyte Sniper's audio solution. The RAMDisk utility and BIOS flash via USB with the power off are damned cool though. I definitely got use out of that latter one myself.

Yeah the RoG features are very cool. Just makes things so much easier especially for SSD's. And Honestly audio isn't as important since I already have Astros and will be using my mixamp via toslink so any kind of DA conversion is useless to me. But yeah the formula is just a beautiful board but my NH-D14 is gonna cover half of it and I probably won't be doing custom cooling anytime soon so I just might take your advice.

llClickll

Banned
Waiting for the final few pieces of my new build to come in the mail. I went slightly over my $1,200 budget but I think it's worth it. Do you guys think this will be able to play most new games in Ultra @ 1080?

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3oCGi) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3oCGi/by_merchant/) / [Benchmarks](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3oCGi/benchmarks/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54670k) | $229.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-cpu-cooler-h100i) | $99.99 @ Newegg
**Motherboard** | [Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-gryphonz87) | $169.99 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmy8gx3m2a1600c9) | $89.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7te250bw) |-
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st3000dm001) | $109.99 @ Newegg
**Video Card** | [EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-video-card-02gp42765kr) | $261.98 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Corsair 350D MicroATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011028ww) | $69.99 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr750rm) | $135.98 @ Newegg
**Optical Drive** | [Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/pioneer-optical-drive-bdr209dbk) | $55.25 @ Newegg
**Case Fan** | [Cougar CF-D12HB-B 64.4 CFM 120mm Fan](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cfd12hbb) | $18.99 @ Newegg
**Case Fan** | [Cougar Vortex 70.5 CFM 140mm Fan](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cfv14hb) | $17.99 @ Newegg
**Case Fan** | [Cougar Vortex 70.5 CFM 140mm Fan](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cfv14hb) | $17.99 @ Newegg
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. | $1278.12
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-09 00:19 EDT-0400 |

What's the smallest mATX case that can fit 2 video cards?

I recommend Corsair 350D. Not exactly a small case, but smaller than most mid-towers.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Update: I fucking hate not having my PC. =(

So, an update to the current build problem. a) either the mobo is fried/bad (again), b) I somehow fucked up the CPU or c) I fucked up both.

Worst. Build. Ever.

Put together many, many builds over the years for friends and family but I turn into all thumbs for my own this time. Cest la vie.

BIGWORM

Update: I fucking hate not having my PC. =(

So, an update to the current build problem. a) either the mobo is fried/bad (again), b) I somehow fucked up the CPU or c) I fucked up both.

Worst. Build. Ever.

Put together many, many builds over the years for friends and family but I turn into all thumbs for my own this time. Cest la vie.

Have you ruled out the PSU for sure, yet?

I'm pretty sure my card is DOA and I've already requested an RMA but I thought it couldn't hurt to seek the guidance of the gurus here.

I just received my EVGA GTX 750 Ti SC from Newegg. I put it into my HTPC (Asus M4N78 Pro, 400w PSU) and it won't POST. My bios are updated and the boot settings for video are set to PCI E first. If I remove the card then everything boots normally. With the card installed everything spins up (except the video card's fan), but there's no beep or display out to my monitor.

So, is it dead, Jim?

DarkFlow

Banned
These new beta drivers for my 780 really boosted the shit out of Star Swarm.

===========================================================
Oxide Games
Star Swarm Stress Test - ©2013
C:\Users\tonke_000\Documents\Star Swarm\Output_14_04_08_2255.txt
Version 1.10
04/08/2014 22:55

== Hardware Configuration =================================
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
CPU: GenuineIntel
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Physical Cores: 4
Logical Cores: 4
Physical Memory: 8464285696
Allocatable Memory: 140737488224256

== Configuration ==========================================
API: DirectX
Scenario: ScenarioFollow.csv
User Input: Disabled
Resolution: 1920x1080
Fullscreen: True
GameCore Update: 16.6 ms
Bloom Quality: High
PointLight Quality: High
ToneCurve Quality: High
Glare Overdraw: 16
Shading Samples: 64
Shade Quality: Mid
Deferred Contexts: Disabled
Temporal AA Duration: 16
Temporal AA Time Slice: 2
Detailed Frame Info: C:\Users\tonke_000\Documents\Star Swarm\FrameDump_14_04_08_2255.csv

== Results ================================================
Test Duration: 360 Seconds
Total Frames: 26428

Average FPS: 73.41
Average Unit Count: 4578
Maximum Unit Count: 5826
Average Batches/MS: 1214.61
Maximum Batches/MS: 3777.46
Average Batch Count: 19081
Maximum Batch Count: 106419

VoxPop

So I have an old build

i5 2500K, 8GB Crucial 1600 MHz Ram, GTX 570, Xonar DG, etc inside a Fractal R3 right now. Would it be possible for me to swap everything into a smaller Shuttle type case?

guys, need help.

I just OCed my i5 2500k to 4.0 and I get 70ºC on idle, there must be something wrong in my current setup. the thing is, I have installed a Noctua heatshink which, if place the fan in the right side, it doesn't fit because it hits one of the ram modules, so I had to place it in the left side of the heatshink, blowing out the air. I also placed 2 fans in the front of the case taking in air, but that doesn't seem to work at all, the temps seem to be very high even in idle.

I was thinking about getting a Watercooling solution, I thought about Thermaltake Water Performer/Pro, but I'm open to listen to other recommendations

Bleepey

NoRéN;107490392 said:
what was wrong with your pc? What did it take to get it to work?

Samsung EVO 250gb for $140 at the moment.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W1726

Same price at Best Buy.

It was a first time build so a lot of teething issues. I also apparently put the cables the wrong way round and so it didn't turn on. Now the reddit guy claims that he gave me the correct product key but everytime I type in the key he gave me, computer says no. I copied and pasted it just to be double sure.

D15?

I was under the impression that the latter number in their HSF's were related to fan size. D14 - 140 mm, D12 - 120mm, U9b - 92 mm. Sup with the funky numbering Noctua?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom