• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hi guys/girls i need your opinion. I m planing to upgrade my old GTX 260 216sp card but i have really limited choice. Here at my place prices are really high and supplies are limited. I came to conclusion that GTX 760 OC version with 2GB of memory is my best choice. It will cost me around 250 euros/350$, and i will keep my old GTX 260 for PhsyX after i upgrade my PSU.

Is that good decision? Will 760 last for at least 2 years for 1080p gaming?

Rest of my PC is i7 2600K (currently not overclocked), 8GB of DDR3 @ 1600MHz and ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 motherboard and OCZ StealthXstream 500W PSU.

kharma45

Hi guys/girls i need your opinion. I m planing to upgrade my old GTX 260 216sp card but i have really limited choice. Here at my place prices are really high and supplies are limited. I came to conclusion that GTX 760 OC version with 2GB of memory is my best choice. It will cost me around 250 euros/350$, and i will keep my old GTX 260 for PhsyX after i upgrade my PSU.

Is that good decision? Will 760 last for at least 2 years for 1080p gaming?

Rest of my PC is i7 2600K (currently not overclocked), 8GB of DDR3 @ 1600MHz and ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 motherboard and OCZ StealthXstream 500W PSU.

You won't need the 260 for PhysX. 760 is all you'll need.

D15?

I was under the impression that the latter number in their HSF's were related to fan size. D14 - 140 mm, D12 - 120mm, U9b - 92 mm. Sup with the funky numbering Noctua?

The fans on it are their nf-a15 fans I assume, that measure 150mm across on the longest side. Having delt with the d14 a lot I also would assume the metal part is now longer as well so that the a15 fans fit on it like in the picture, as those fans would overhang on the d14. Wounder why they didn't go with the more headpipes design they showed off at a computex a few years ago, since that still looks like 6, the same as the d14.

Marceles

Started building my computer but still need to wait for my RAM which is coming tomorrow. I'm praying I hooked everything up correctly but I'm sure I have something wrong.

I don't understand how or if I'm supposed to be plugging in the case wires (fractal midi R2 to be specific) since they don't reach the motherboard, and the 4-pin molex connector on the case doesn't seem to fit the power adapter's molex cord. It feels like if I push too hard I'll bend the pins. Other than that, I think I've plugged in mostly everything correctly.

I'm trying to reinstall windows 7 premium after getting a new motherboard but it can't find the drivers. I know the HDD is hooked up properly because the boot section of the hard drive is popping up on locations to find the drivers in. help?

Parsnip

So PC gaf, I have this sound problem. I suspect it's EMI.

Basically, I upgraded my mobo about a month ago, and after installing everything, I hear this faint noise when using headphones. My soundcard is Xonar DG. It's not there all the time, only when I do anything that's using gpu in some way it seems. Like playing a game or watching hardware accelerated video.
If I enable the headphone amp in Xonar, it becomes more apparent, and even more apparent if I pump anything through hdmi on my graphics card.

I've been battling it by not actually using the Xonar headphone amp, but that means I also can't use the "dolby headphone" feature of the card.

So, is it EMI? Is there an easy way to test it, like shielding the sound card temporarily to confirm it? I googled around a bit and saw some more permanent solutions, but I'd just like to confirm it somehow before I take any further action.
Someone suggested that putting the card in one of those anti static bags that electronics ship in would help, that seems crazy.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

LilJoka

So PC gaf, I have this sound problem. I suspect it's EMI.

Basically, I upgraded my mobo about a month ago, and after installing everything, I hear this faint noise when using headphones. My soundcard is Xonar DG. It's not there all the time, only when I do anything that's using gpu in some way it seems. Like playing a game or watching hardware accelerated video.
If I enable the headphone amp in Xonar, it becomes more apparent, and even more apparent if I pump anything through hdmi on my graphics card.

I've been battling it by not actually using the Xonar headphone amp, but that means I also can't use the "dolby headphone" feature of the card.

So, is it EMI? Is there an easy way to test it, like shielding the sound card temporarily to confirm it? I googled around a bit and saw some more permanent solutions, but I'd just like to confirm it somehow before I take any further action.
Someone suggested that putting the card in one of those anti static bags that electronics ship in would help, that seems crazy.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried moving the Xonar to a different slot? Preferebly have the GPU as far as possible from the Xonar.

Im guessing the onboard audio output is clear?

Long shot, but try and see if disabling the CPU C States (EIST and Speedstep) in Bios helps, could be the coil whine from the down stepping thats being picked up.

I'm trying to reinstall windows 7 premium after getting a new motherboard but it can't find the drivers. I know the HDD is hooked up properly because the boot section of the hard drive is popping up on locations to find the drivers in. help?

What motherboard? What drivers are you looking for specifically?
You need to go to the motherboard website and download the chipset, management engine (if SB or newer), LAN drivers. Install these again rather than trying to search for existing files.

What motherboard? What drivers are you looking for specifically?
You need to go to the motherboard website and download the chipset, management engine (if SB or newer), LAN drivers. Install these again rather than trying to search for existing files.

it's an asus maximus VI motherboard. I'm downloading the chipset drivers now but when I looked for the LAN it couldn't find any.

here's something else I forgot to note. when I place the install disc in, it gives me the options of upgrading it or a custom install which sounds like it's already on there but when I boot up the computer it takes me to the bios screen.

LilJoka

it's an asus maximus VI motherboard. I'm downloading the chipset drivers now but when I looked for the LAN it couldn't find any.

here's something else I forgot to note. when I place the install disc in, it gives me the options of upgrading it or a custom install which sounds like it's already on there but when I boot up the computer it takes me to the bios screen.

The first thing you do when receiving your motherboard is to throw the install disk in the bin, it contains some bloatware and a lot of unnecessary files, plus 90% is out of date drivers! Worst case scenario, you need LAN so install that driver off the disc.

All the drivers are here
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

And if you cant find LAN from Asus, remember its Intel LAN, which means all the 7 series Intel boards will also use the same driver, so if you plug in any Ivy Bridge board into the Intel Download site, the LAN driver will work from there too.

it sounds like you already have windows installed on the HDD from a previos build? Its advised to reinstal windows if youve changed motherboard, especially if its a different series of CPU.

Ashhong

Tigerdirect is not recommended according to chaps in this thread who are in the know.

What is bad about them? Bought the majority of my stuff there...as long as my products are new and in their box I think I'll be happy.

Whenever I ordered I got a notice saying they are a google trusted seller, and that google is protecting the transaction in case any issues come up.

riflen

What is bad about them? Bought the majority of my stuff there...as long as my products are new and in their box I think I'll be happy.

Whenever I ordered I got a notice saying they are a google trusted seller, and that google is protecting the transaction in case any issues come up.

Bad customer service mostly. I've also seen people complain that they frequently list out-of-stock items as being in stock. I'll let others go into details as I live on a different continent.

thanks for the help lijoka. I figured out what the problem was and now it's working. apparently, there was a cable loose on the hdd. eh, serves me right trying to fix problems while sick.

scogoth

Mostly their terrible service. After sales service is terrible and their in in store employees are incompetent. The products are fine but I personally don't like supporting bad companies. In Canada I would rather price match on NCIX or go to a Canada Computers and give them my business.

mkenyon

Banned
Insano deal of the day:

Seasonic 760W Plat for $99.99, free shipping.

Promo code: EXLEMC2254

Also, the Phanteks Enthoo Primo White is orderable on Newegg now:

UYj6QVF.jpg

iaX9JIP.jpg

Panzon

Just had an emergency and had to use the money that I was gonna finish my build with this weekend.

Im fucking stressed, depressed, angry and all sorts of shit. Someone post the anchorman glass case of emotions gif please

Durante

no thx

looks like death.
Personally, I don't care much how a HSF looks if it does a good job. (Then again, I'm also someone who wouldn't be caught dead with a case which has windows in it :p)

However, I actually like the Noctua styling. It's different, and somehow seems like serious business. It's also about as far from the typical "gamer" HW style as you can get, thankfully.

Durante

That still has a window. I'm sorry, I'll never consider a window in a case not silly. It's second only to LED light strips. If people like it, more power to them, but I'll stick with the minimalist black box :p

Well, that's not completely true, the In Win 904 almost convinced me that glass has a place in case design. But more if the PC is an objet d'art and not a workstation.

Ashhong

Mostly their terrible service. After sales service is terrible and their in in store employees are incompetent. The products are fine but I personally don't like supporting bad companies. In Canada I would rather price match on NCIX or go to a Canada Computers and give them my business.

Ah I see. I didn't know NCIX price matched, I'll keep that in mind. I use them cause Newegg and Amazon have tax in California, plus I had a 10% cashback offer from them. But next time I'll stay away

That still has a window. I'm sorry, I'll never consider a window in a case not silly. It's second only to LED light strips. If people like it, more power to them, but I'll stick with the minimalist black box :p

Well, that's not completely true, the In Win 904 almost convinced me that glass has a place in case design. But more if the PC is an objet d'art and not a workstation.

Fractal Define R4 is a minimal black box with a window. I like windows cause u can see what's going on inside so I don't think they're that silly

Tablo

Damn that Noctua D15 is sexy, I'm assuming that would be way too big for a Corsair 250D loll!
Maybe it would fit and accommodate modestly tall ram if you only keep the middle fan in? That would probably be more than enough to cool a OC'd 4770K right?
Or would the UH12/14S be a better choice...

I tend to agree haha. I am the person who built the case and I know it inside out, if I want to see the insides I'll take the side panel off. Most of the time windows are to show other people your build, and in my case 95% of people would have no idea what they are looking at, nor care to look. That's why I went with the standard Corsair 350D windowless. I can't justify the extra cost for such a useless feature (to me), I'd rather have the classy minimalist look for cheaper.

I've never felt windows added or detracted from the looks of a case. Seems like a very minor feature in relation to the shape, size, color, and light output.

I do tend to miss side panel fans when I have multiple GPUs though. So I guess I don't like windows that much.

Parsnip

Have you tried moving the Xonar to a different slot? Preferebly have the GPU as far as possible from the Xonar.

Im guessing the onboard audio output is clear?

Long shot, but try and see if disabling the CPU C States (EIST and Speedstep) in Bios helps, could be the coil whine from the down stepping thats being picked up.

I can only move Xonar closer, unfortunately.
As for onboard audio, it's hard to say. The noise is such faint without the headphone amp in the mix that I can't be sure about it.

I've never heard of coil whine being picked up by headphones, but I'll check the C states just the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom